• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

God Of War 4 PS4 review. A well deserved GOTY contender, and this is just the beginning.

1 post in this topic

At last. I got my hands on this game after all this dead time for games. The God of War series is back, and it's back with a fucking vengeance.

Image result for god of war

This game takes place MANY2 years after God Of War 3. After Kratos destroys Greek Gods and titans, except Athena who's a ghost now, Kratos stabbed himself, and then go off to get away from the shit he just did to the land of the Norse Gods. He settled down with a woman named Faye, and he has a son named Atreus. Life goes on as normal for him, until his wife died. The goal of the game: to reach the top of the mountain in Midgard and scatter her ashes. But of course, it's not going to be easy since there's a lot of draugrs, aka dead Norse zombie warriors blocking his path. With his wife's axe and his son's bow and dagger, the adventure begins. And what an adventure it is!

This game is this year's designated GOTY where every reviewers rate it 10 out of 10s everywhere. Of course there's a risk to the game being overhyped in certain people's eyes since no game is perfect. like last year's Zelda BOTW. And now that I played it, the scores are very well justified. HOLY CRAP THIS GAME IS SO GOOD!!!!

Here's how the game is step by step:

1) At its core, this game is like Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice in base style in that it's a 1 continuous uninterrupted motion game from beginning to the end that doesn't stop, except if you pause the game or die of course, it takes place in Norse mythology, and that it's a third person action game with exploration like Hellblade. And with an expected great plot that drives it. But this game is like if Hellblade's combat is modified with the more complex God Of War combat, and add an open world that just keeps on evolving so the environment will keep changing with new stuff to do every time you reach certain points in the story.

2) Kratos isn't an unlikeable cunt anymore that he was in previous God Of War games, which thank God the change was made. Now he's a much more calmer guy, though not at the start. Initially during the earlier parts of the game, he's still a dick that only cares about himself even though he's trying to be a father, to the point where his own son got sick and tired of him. But as the game progresses and he realizes what a piece of crap he's being, he got a lot nicer & bond with his son in cute little dialogues here and there where he awkwardly tries to tell his son stories during boat trips to fill the time. Still a dick to side quest ghosts and npcs here and there but it's like he's being a bit of a tsundere, which I found pretty funny. "It's not like I killed that beast to save you, I just want to kill that thing." lol. And surprisingly during the story, his own son did end up being a dick as well due to, you know, being his son and being young with the expected attitude problem, and when this happened Kratos is the one being nice and tell the boy "don't be mean to people son". Wow......... Kratos, previously a ginormous prick that doesn't give a crap about other people, telling his son not to be mean to people...... is it raining pigs today?? :huh:

3) The game's combat initially takes some time to get used to. At the start, your movesets are pretty limited, and it can throw you off guard since you have both axe moveset & hand to hand movesets. The axe is really cool since it's like Thor's hammer in the MCU movies where you can throw it and then bring it back to your hand in an instant, and it's imbued with the spirits of ice trolls so it has ice elements. However once you upgrade your movelists for both you and Atreus with his very2 useful bow abilities that you can manually trigger by pressing square, the combat will flow nicely & it'll be a normal occurrence for you to just rip enemies to shreds while you dodge and block the usual God of War style. Though this time enemies will not have the QTE prompt if you just slice them up. You need to fill their "stun bar" which usually is done through using your son's bow ability and hand to hand combat for the usual QTE red prompt to show up above their heads and then you proceed to whoop their asses. You can use your axe to fill the stun bar, but hand to hand fills it faster. One of the QTE kill is so brutal, that I cringe in pain everytime it happened. It's when you fight a werewolf, and Kratos proceeds to RIP ITS LOWER JAW FROM THE TOP RIGHT DOWN TO THE POOR BASTARD'S STOMACH!

OWWWWWWCHHHHHHHHH

4) The upgrade menu does remind me of Shadow of War in the armor upgrade and skills leveling part.......

Image result for god of war 4 upgrade

ugh....... but thankfully there's no stupid microtransactions so everything can be obtained by playing the game and getting materials fairly. Horray for back to basic gameplay without corporate greed to fuck it up! And speaking of getting materials, if you have played God of War before, it's pretty much the same thing. Explore an area for those pesky little hidden boxes & loot that shiet. The usual "collect 3 items from a chest to increase your health & rage meter permanently" is here, this time in the form of chests that has to be unlocked by finding 3 runes nearby, like this one for example

There's other ones of this variation, so one chest requires you to ring 3 bells with a rune symbol on them quickly before the timer runs out, another chest requires you to match the correct symbol from a selection of symbols. A bit of nice brain teasers to spice things up basically.

The red orbs, blue orbs and green orbs are not here though. This time you get money and materials from chests or dead bodies, and you get green and rage pickups from the environment and dead bodies. Once you get enough money and materials, you can go to one of 2 dwarven blacksmiths who will craft armor & upgrade weapons for you. These guys are hilarious. One is a potty mouth with a blue skin named Brok, no not Brock Lesnar, just Brok. Speaking of that guy,

Man I still love seeing these 2 brawl.......

And the other one is a clean freak named Sindri who's such a goof, that he either talks awkwardly to you or just being "ew, does that thing have blood on it? ARGH GET IT AWAY FROM ME!!", buuut they still give you upgrades so it's all good.

5) The boss battles, as expected from this series, are so damn good, that not even reviewers are saying anything about them to avoid spoilers. Even I can't spoil them because it'll ruin the impact of fighting them yourselves. But just as a sneak preview: the second boss battle in the game is so chaotic, that the earth broke down from the utter carnage & wrestling moves involves. Literally. Unfortunately there's no boss fight that's like Chronos from God Of War 3, but what are here are only a sneak peek into what's to come in future games. And boy, if the sneak peek is already this packed, then we'll possibly have a boss fight in the future that's at least as big as Wyzen from Asura's Wrath! Which is pretty unlikely but we'll see.

There's no way the bosses in God Of War will ever match the size of what Asura's Wrath has, but it's still going to be really damn big.

6) The open world in this game is filled to the brim with stuff to do. A lot of them are things that you will backtrack later since it's one of those "you see a door with a weird symbol on it, but you don't have the right ability/key to open it yet" sort of things. Don't worry when at first you think "this is just a small open world with pretty manageable locations" because once you meet the witch in the forest and she gives you a compass, the open world will truly open up & the world will be your playground. I spent hours just using my boat to travel to different boat points all over the map for the sidequests, only to find out that whoops, the area is still flooded at the moment, I have to wait until the right story moment where the water level decreases so you can access it. There are blue gates scattered around the world where you can fast travel, but it's restricted to just allowing you to fast travel to 1 spot in the map. That is until the midpoint of the game where you finally can use it to fast travel everywhere. And the sidequests does give you really great equipments that'll make battles easier, so they're really worth your time.

7) The story is damn good, with a lot of twists and turns that I cannot even spoil. Well...... I guess I can say 1 thing:

Remember how in the Thor MCU films they use the Bifrost to travel to different realms?

Image result for bifrost

Well, since this is Norse mythology, that thing is here too. And it's a sight to behold. As for the rest, find out for yourself!

If there is any negative I can say about the game, it's simply that this game is only part 1 of a new journey, so it isn't as big in scale as the previous God Of War games. But an epic 30+ hours for a 15 hour main quest + 15 more from side quests for only a part 1 of an expected part 2 or part 3 is a really good sign, because that means we've only seen a fraction of what's to come, which will be even more amazing!

Oh yeah, and I was wondering why Kratos doesn't have his Icarus wings anymore. I know the game is now a more restrictive third person action game where jumping is used only for specific places, but there's so many platforms in this game that makes me want to use the wings instead of climbing it slowly Uncharted style. Old school mindset reflex kicking in I know. Gasp, maybe the sequel will have them so you can glide like in the Batman Arkham games!

And there's no new game +, and no alternate skins to unlock................... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Are you fucking kidding me?? Are you telling me that even though I collected all these epic as hell gears and skill upgrades, I can't replay the game with all of these things unlocked so I can be OP and replay the epic boss fights all over again?? And I can't get beardless Kratos?? Or the great return of the Cod of War fish skin from 2???

THIS IS BLASPHEMY!! 0 OUT OF 10!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'm kidding of course but COME ON! Why take out a series tradition?? Even the Yakuza series now still have alternate costumes & new game +, why not this??

Oh.... there may be hope for new game + yet after all.

pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+pleaseaddnewgame+

Joking aside, I fucking highly recommend this game. This is a great start to a new chapter of Kratos' life alongside his son, and I can't wait for the sequel. Which is appropriate because my rating for this game will be "so awesome that you will play this game again while waiting for the inevitable sequel". With a badass seal of approval!

706681-badass_ajs_flat_kablooiexl_super.

This is my GOTY contender by default. Will Kingdom Hearts 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2 take the throne? We'll have to wait and find out! In the meantime, play this game, go out there and kill Norse creatures, while having a bonding session with your son! :)