• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

    Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

  • PS4 Forum

    The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

    The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

  • XBO Forum

    The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

    The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

  • News Archive

    The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

    The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

  • More Info

    The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

    The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

  • The Team

    Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

    Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

  • The Tube

    The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

    Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

12 posts in this topic

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts! GO! Ashes!  www.ashesofcreation.com

I purposefully didn't load a bunch of questions etc in order to have this topic WIDE OPEN for any and everything being discussed :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to see ambitous projects so hopefully this project will be a success eventually altough according to gameplay I have seen the game is not my cup of tea. There were great amount of scepticism around this project at one point but not sure if the developer was able to convince audience to think otherwise.

Do you know how is this project doing in more detail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Doctor said:

I like to see ambitous projects so hopefully this project will be a success eventually altough according to gameplay I have seen the game is not my cup of tea. There were great amount of scepticism around this project at one point but not sure if the developer was able to convince audience to think otherwise.

Do you know how is this project doing in more detail?

 

I do actually. Being acquainted with their current Alpha phase, comparing that to MANY other betas I've been in for MMORPG's specifically, this phase 1 Alpha (they still have another alpha phase to go through before they reach closed beta) it's on the level I've typically seen over the years with closed betas. To me, they're ahead of the game (no pun intended) and doing amazingly well from a player standpoint, etc. 

The ONLY thing I'm not super happy about is (at least at the moment--they've said they'd revisit it further down the development line) is that currently there is no voice acting. I don't mean in the sense of SWTOR, I'm referring to the minimal sense of WoW. Which I believe should be a minimal for any MMO nowadays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xenith said:

 

I do actually. Being acquainted with their current Alpha phase, comparing that to MANY other betas I've been in for MMORPG's specifically, this phase 1 Alpha (they still have another alpha phase to go through before they reach closed beta) it's on the level I've typically seen over the years with closed betas. To me, they're ahead of the game (no pun intended) and doing amazingly well from a player standpoint, etc. 

The ONLY thing I'm not super happy about is (at least at the moment--they've said they'd revisit it further down the development line) is that currently there is no voice acting. I don't mean in the sense of SWTOR, I'm referring to the minimal sense of WoW. Which I believe should be a minimal for any MMO nowadays. 

 

With how high end the game looks ( according to the screenshots, that I am taking with a grain of salt) I find it a little odd that they can't afford at least some voice overs. Could it be the script just isn't ready yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shagger said:

 

With how high end the game looks ( according to the screenshots, that I am taking with a grain of salt) I find it a little odd that they can't afford at least some voice overs. Could it be the script just isn't ready yet?


Agreed. At least in the traditional sense of either one liner quest givers or main story arc only. I'm sure it'll be a "hot topic" further down the development path. here's hoping!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Xenith said:

I do actually. Being acquainted with their current Alpha phase, comparing that to MANY other betas I've been in for MMORPG's specifically, this phase 1 Alpha (they still have another alpha phase to go through before they reach closed beta) it's on the level I've typically seen over the years with closed betas. To me, they're ahead of the game (no pun intended) and doing amazingly well from a player standpoint, etc. 

The ONLY thing I'm not super happy about is (at least at the moment--they've said they'd revisit it further down the development line) is that currently there is no voice acting. I don't mean in the sense of SWTOR, I'm referring to the minimal sense of WoW. Which I believe should be a minimal for any MMO nowadays. 

Sounds pretty promising! How does the dynamic gameworld work at the moment? Does it feel like changes are happening and the world feels living or is that still something they are working on?

edit: What I'm searching for is a game where I can build "my own story" and have provide gameplay mechanisms to do so.

This could be a game which takes a place as my second MMO to replace E:D but I still need to give this project deeper look and get it tested first.

Voice acting is meaningless for me so it is not a blocker for me to play any games. Especially in crowdfunded games I prefer there will not be voice acting until very end of the project if a developer have money to include them. Doing them is expensive and makes a hole already small budgets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Doctor said:

Sounds pretty promising! How does the dynamic gameworld work at the moment? Does it feel like changes are happening and the world feels living or is that still something they are working on?

edit: What I'm searching for is a game where I can build "my own story" and have provide gameplay mechanisms to do so.

This could be a game which takes a place as my second MMO to replace E:D but I still need to give this project deeper look and get it tested first.

Voice acting is meaningless for me so it is not a blocker for me to play any games. Especially in crowdfunded games I prefer there will not be voice acting until very end of the project if a developer have money to include them. Doing them is expensive and makes a hole already small budgets.

This current testing phase they just started testing  the massive pvp battles. So far the the data is showing better than expected performance as they did the last test (if I recall correctly, it was with a couple to a few hundred testers with an added 1000 NPC characters) all participating in siege warfare and they retained a steady 60+ fps. Up next is the NODE system testing if I remember correctly.

As for building your own story, as to the level of detail, I'll get more info on that for you and let you know. What's E:D?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Xenith said:

This current testing phase they just started testing  the massive pvp battles. So far the the data is showing better than expected performance as they did the last test (if I recall correctly, it was with a couple to a few hundred testers with an added 1000 NPC characters) all participating in siege warfare and they retained a steady 60+ fps. Up next is the NODE system testing if I remember correctly.

As for building your own story, as to the level of detail, I'll get more info on that for you and let you know. What's E:D?

So multiplayer functionality seems to work nicely already, that's good to hear. What made me interested were the features they have planned: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/

It looks like they are trying to create a living breating game world which changes according to players and NPCs activities (NODES). Additionally the game is not traditional MMORPG but includes sandboxing elements. This all sounds very good so it is up to gameplay features and their implementations if the game would fit for me - for example is mining just pressing mouse button to hit a pickaxe or does it require some skills as well. Also things like "quest chaining" (a quest can turn something completely different due to actions happening in game world) could really build up players experience and story way further.

This project definitely sounds like worth a try.

E:D is Elite: Dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's just say I have high expectations for this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 1:49 PM, Doctor said:

So multiplayer functionality seems to work nicely already, that's good to hear. What made me interested were the features they have planned: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/

It looks like they are trying to create a living breating game world which changes according to players and NPCs activities (NODES). Additionally the game is not traditional MMORPG but includes sandboxing elements. This all sounds very good so it is up to gameplay features and their implementations if the game would fit for me - for example is mining just pressing mouse button to hit a pickaxe or does it require some skills as well. Also things like "quest chaining" (a quest can turn something completely different due to actions happening in game world) could really build up players experience and story way further.

This project definitely sounds like worth a try.

E:D is Elite: Dangerous.

Yea, I look forward to the quest and crafting system. I hope they are as you've mentioned (crafting requires some skill & questing as you've mentioned. Also I hope with questing (though it's not a game breaker for me) is that there are alternative choices where depending on your choice, it determines the outcome in the end and can change.) I'm going to try and get some answers on these two things soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a document which includes pretty good amount information.

It would be important that Ashes of Creation would offer good tools for players to create amazing stories. As great as many scripted single player CRPGs are they are still lacking gameplay MMOs can provide at best. In the other hand unfortunately there are always people in MMOs who wants to ruin fun for everyone else, like griefing/ramming in Elite: Dangerous.

It is great to hear many gameplay features are skill based so there's a good change that the game doesn't turn boring grinding immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Graphically the game starts to look pretty fine but there are some things I personally don't like in this alpha version. Camera is too close so hopefully it will be change to change angle and distance "freely". The style of effects, armors, etc. are way over the top for my taste but this is something I don't think will change much before final version.

Hopefully we would see some slow non-combat trailers which would show different styles of gameplay, missions, how dynamic and living and breathing the game world is, etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now