• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghaleon

I'm tired of seeing "The ___ community is awful"

6 posts in this topic

Title. I recently found someone on the gamefaqs forum (yes yes I know, the gamefaqs community forum is awful), bashing the community of a game which I never thought someone would say has a bad community. I mean this community has never had drama that I'm aware of, and it has a fanbase dedicated enough to make a free translation patch for 2 of the largest games (text to translate wise) ever, with its old vets being active in multiple discussion forums answering all the questions everyone has, even the ones they've seen hundreds of times with patience and understanding. But.. according to some dude on the net, the community is awful.

I'm not here to defend that specific community though. I find that EVERY game community gets shat on by people. Take the dark souls community. They're cool to hate on, and everyone claims they're nothing but a bunch of bots spamming everyone with 'git gud'. But the fact is if you have an issue with the game and want advice, people will no doubt give it. If you have a less than great opinion about some aspect of the game that seems relevant to the topic at hand, or even if you just want to review the game and point out some flaws in a constructive manner, people listen. But if you go on making wild claims like the game is poorly designed and only a masochist enjoys it, git guds will be seen, and frankly that response is more respectable than that which they were targeting. Dark souls isn't the only one, but it is one of the best examples of a community many people seem to loathe that really isn't bad at all IMO. There are some communities which even I think is a dark horrible place, namely DoTA (and even then that was during warcraft 3, I have no idea what modern dota players are like now), and often PVP sub-communities within games that aren't strictly pvp.

My purpose though isn't to try and convince people that x community is not bad, but rather... I think people need to grow up and learn to filter the good from the from the bad. You can ignore the bad, and I don't just mean /ignore, but you can often do that too, and you can focus on the good. It's WAY easier to do that when it comes to online communities than pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE in life. So why the fuu do people focus on the bad and blow off the good so often online? It makes no sense.

I think one of the things is something I all too often feel people do not do both online and in real life. They interpret things the worst way possible when it's not from a friend or family member. Like if someone says something that isn't clear if it's something really mean or something not mean, people just ASSUME they meant the mean one. I mean a good example is the perfectly civil and good sportsmanship term 'GG' after a game for 'good game'... Like a professional sports game where people shake hands after a match or whatever. it's just polite, it shows you respect your opponent. Even if they got wrecked, you say it to show your respect for your opponent. Even the best players have bad days. But no, people now think GG is to be taken sarcastically, and now they hardly ever use the term because of such.

People need to stop acting like everyone else is out to get them, and maybe they will see that every darn community ever on the Internet isn't a bad place.

I can only speak from my experience of course and that's why I'd never paint them all with the same brush, but my experience with souls fans even including the ones on the AJSA has been terrible. They're arrogant, elitist, unhelpful and can't take any criticism of the games. 

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

I can only speak from my experience of course and that's why I'd never paint them all with the same brush, but my experience with souls fans even including the ones on the AJSA has been terrible. They're arrogant, elitist, unhelpful and can't take any criticism of the games. 

That was just an example of my post, not the heart of it. But since you want to focus on it, do you by chance have any examples of your own. What threads have you created in dark souls communities? I would like to see them.

1 hour ago, Ghaleon said:

That was just an example of my post, not the heart of it. But since you want to focus on it, do you by chance have any examples of your own. What threads have you created in dark souls communities? I would like to see them.

I know that's not what the post was about, I'm just saying some people say things about certain communities both positive and negative for good reasons. It's almost impossible to say whether a specific community is good or not because it's all about perspective. I'm not saying the Souls community is a toxic community, all I'm saying is my experiences with their fans has been mostly like that. In answer to your query whare it mostly happened over things like PSN and forums here and there, but I don't have screenshots of it all even if I did I wouldn't post them because doing would just stir up trouble. 

Well, the only reason I still hang out here is because, generally speaking, I  like the AJSA community.

Now if only I actually had the drive to join them in online games, but I really prefer single-player games.