• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Madfinnishgamer38

[SOLVED] Games suddenly lagging after hard reset

13 posts in this topic

So yesterday, while I was playing Beat Hazard, it pulled off this weird bug where the entire screen went black. A similar bug had happened on many an occasion before, but it would usually keep the game's background "image" - this time, it didn't even keep that. The entire screen just went black. I tried opening Task Manager with good old Ctrl+Alt+Del to no avail, though I was able to access Windows 10's menu by pressing the Windows hotkey. I did manage to open Task Manager through the menu, but for some reason, the window refused to show up. This, in turn, basically forced me to hard-reset my computer.

After said hard reset, I went back into the game. No weird black screen bug, thankfully, but less than a minute in, it started lagging like shit. Probably 10 fps, if not less. Oddly enough, it went away when I paused the game for a while. This wasn't so much the case with Tekken 7, as every time I play it now, its framerate drops to downright unplayable levels every 2 minutes or so. I tried verifying the integrity of the game files, but sadly, it didn't help.

I have yet to play the other games I have installed since the incident, but I do fear they're similarly affected.

Any ideas as to the possible cause of this? And more importantly, any ideas as to how I should go about fixing it?

Try some other games, if they are affected it's probably GPU issue.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Try some other games, if they are affected it's probably GPU issue.

I tried Axiom Verge and F.E.A.R. 3 - the latter was affected, but I doubt it's a GPU-related issue. It should be enough evidence that I didn't experience lag this severe with any game before I had to do the hard reset.

Let's try some of the simple steps first (if you haven't already)

Make sure you have the latest GPU drivers installed and that the GPU itself is properly connected the the motherbored and power connectors.

If you have a restore point from before you did the hard reset then use system restore to go back to that point.

Try clearing the CMOS to restore the hardware factory settings, depnding on your motherboard this can be done woth a button, a jumper or by phycally removing te CMOS battery:

Also can you post your specs?

4 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Also can you post your specs?

Sure thing.

• Core i7-7500U @ 2.7GHz
  • GeForce 930MX 2GB
  • 8GB RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Home (version 1803)

Take note that I'm using a laptop. Forgot to mention that.

I'm still getting the feeling that this is a GPU problem, I want to do a test.  I need you to download the Heaven Benchmark HERE and Cinebench R15 HERE.

First run the CPU test on Cinebench to (hopefully) rule out any issue with the CPU.  Then run Heaven with default settings (press F9 after it starts running to do the benchmark).  Once your your done get back to me telling if the tests completed and what score they got.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

I'm still getting the feeling that this is a GPU problem, I want to do a test.  I need you to download the Heaven Benchmark HERE and Cinebench R15 HERE.

First run the CPU test on Cinebench to (hopefully) rule out any issue with the CPU.  Then run Heaven with default settings (press F9 after it starts running to do the benchmark).  Once your your done get back to me telling if the tests completed and what score they got.

Okay, here are the results I got:

Cinebench CPU benchmark score

325 cb

Unigine Heaven benchmark

• FPS: 14.2
  • Score: 358
  • Min FPS: 8.5
  • Max FPS: 29.0

2 minutes ago, Madfinnishgamer38 said:

Okay, here are the results I got:

Cinebench CPU benchmark score

325 cb

Unigine Heaven benchmark

• FPS: 14.2
  • Score: 358
  • Min FPS: 8.5
  • Max FPS: 29.0

Those are all in the ballpark I was expecting, which thankfully means this isn't a hardware problem.  Try re-installing the NVidea drivers and I'll keep looking into it.

3 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Those are all in the ballpark I was expecting, which thankfully means this isn't a hardware problem.  Try re-installing the NVidea drivers and I'll keep looking into it.

I already tried reinstalling them, then updating, then uninstalling and reinstalling again. Didn't help at all.

Have you tried resetting Windows? You should be able to do this and keep your files but you may have to re-install some of your apps

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/reset-your-windows-10-system-with-the-keep-my-files-option/

4 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Have you tried resetting Windows? You should be able to do this and keep your files but you may have to re-install some of your apps

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/reset-your-windows-10-system-with-the-keep-my-files-option/

I was actually just looking into that option - it is looking like the only choice left at this point.

Thanks for the help, dude.

9 minutes ago, Madfinnishgamer38 said:

I was actually just looking into that option - it is looking like the only choice left at this point.

Thanks for the help, dude.

Well, the last resort would be a full re-format/clean re-install, which we'd obviously rather avoid.