• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

This Week In Gaming 9-4-18

1 post in this topic

S9BDiel.png

PAX West trailers and gameplay, H. Bomberguy covers what makes speedrunning fun and interesting, Shaun on the fake outrage surrounding Doom Eternal, Tara Hillegeist writes about corporate branding and the use of the term engine as it relates to the Doom series, Dan Root on the animated environments of Fez, Red Angel explores the topic of Parasocial Relationships between the player and characters in games where the player is represented as their own entity, Speluky 2 gameplay, Alex Kane with the oral history of Spider-Man 2 and how it changed what a superhero game could be, NoClip guest host Alanah Pearce covers the creation of the Game Grumps and Dream Daddy, Joel Couture has developers talk about their first design experience, 2K asks fans to tell Belgium they want loot boxes, New Frame Plus on the animation of Smash Bros, and more.

Gaming News (Announcements, previews, release dates, interviews and writing on upcoming games, DLC and game updates, company and developer news, country news, tech, mods)

Getting rich quick in Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord's sandbox singleplayer campaign

nEIzVss.jpg

“How do you have so much money?” asks the Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord booth manager at Gamescom as I end my half-hour session. People trafficking, my good man. During my short time with the game I made thousands fighting bandits, taking prisoners, and selling the prisoners on to a local town. A guy in town paid me for neutralising the bandit threat as well, and I steal some extra armour for myself after battle. I'm making money all the way down this chain.

Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord's single player campaign is full of thugs and bog men

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is the medieval war ‘em up that often pops up to say: “Hello, I still look good.” We have seen its sieges, its horse archers, and even played some of its multiplayer sword-clashing. But at this year’s Gamescom, I played some of the single player campaign. And oh yes, that’s the good stuff. I played as Valtis, an athletic sword-swinging dude from the Southern Empire who can also throw javelins. I like javelins. I like the sound they make as they whoosh by and impale a man.

First Look: Spelunky 2 Gameplay, Mossmouth Interview

Spelunky creator Derek Yu shows us what's new (and what's not) in the surprise follow-up to one of gaming's most influential experiences.

Spelunky 2 Doesn’t Break the Formula of an Already Amazing Game - PAX West 2018

Tom and Jonathon got to play Spelunky 2 at PAX West 2018 and it feels like more Spelunky, which definitely isn't a bad thing.

Tactics RPG Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark shows tons of promise, even in Early Access

ZsYjxZT.png

I picked up Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark right where I left off at the end of the Kickstarter Backers’ build, guiding my team of fantasy sheriffs on a globetrotting adventure to root out the corruption in their order of peacekeepers. Now, in Early Access, I’m hunting down a cure for one of my suddenly indisposed party members (the cliffhanger from the Kickstarter build) and kicking a party of amateur temple crashers in the pants.

Battlefield 5 release date delayed to November

"We’re going to take the time to continue to make some final adjustments to core gameplay," says EA.

There’s a profanity filter in the Battlefield 5 open beta

With the closed alpha events for Battlefield V all wrapped up and the open beta just around the corner, developer Dice has confirmed there’ll be some new features to look out for when the open beta starts on September 6. Among them: a profanity filter for PC players.

Battlefield 5’s battle royale mode is called Firestorm – come watch the trailer

Battlefield V’s battle royale mode is called Firestorm, and it looks like – as earlier trailers had teased – this is because there a literal storm of fire will shrink to constrict the map, in a stylish interpretation of the iconic battle royale mechanic.

Gris Gameplay Demo - PAX West 2018

Watch the full 20-minute gameplay demo for the gorgeous indie title from Nomada Studios and Devolver Digital from PAX West 2018.

Hitman 2 will take you to the Colombian jungle

Looks like Agent 47 will have to pack some suntan lotion when Hitman 2 releases in November, because he’ll be heading to the Colombian jungle – possibly to tackle some international crime and definitely to break up some families if the latest trailer, entitled ‘Welcome to the Jungle’, is anything to by which to judge.

HITMAN™ 2 LEGACY PACK GAMEPLAY (PAX WEST)

First gameplay reveal of the Legacy Pack within HITMAN™ 2. Footage was shown at PAX West 2018.

Left Alive is an underwhelming return to the Front Mission universe

DW86REc.jpg

Tough moral choices can't elevate a bog-standard shooter.

Roam a warped Earth as an even stranger alien in sci-fi action-RPG UnDungeon

The heart of cosmic horror is knowing that humanity and all its ambitions are meaningless. Gorgeous pixel art action-RPG UnDungeon drives this home by beginning after the sudden and largely unimportant fall of our species. We don’t even get to be the protagonists.

Artifact Gameplay - Full Match in 4K

Watch a full match of Valve's card game Artifact in 4K.

Artifact is not nearly as hard to play as it looks

It’s just Magic meets three simultaneous games of UNO.

Valve: Creating Artifact is not a "zero-sum game"

How the company is keeping its focus narrow for the upcoming online trading card game

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw announced and looking excitingly like Wing Commander: Privateer

While I loved its space-trucker aesthetic and grimy rock soundtrack, Double Damage’s space combat and trading sandbox Rebel Galaxy never really grabbed me. Its prequel – Rebel Galaxy Outlaw – on the other hand, has my full attention.

GWENT: The Witcher Card Game | Homecoming Reveal

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 delayed into 2019

With September dropping out of warp in only a few hours, the publishers of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 today announced that ah, no, the spaceship-battling RTS will not launch in September after all. It’s delayed into January 2019 to allow extra time to polish and improve it (hot tip: paint the game red, it’ll run faster), as is the usual delay way. But! The developers plan to use this time to expand the planned cooperative support into its three story campaigns, so that’s nice. You can use this time to practise your Tyranid gurglegrowling for top Skype fun with your pal.

Praey for the Gods Gameplay - PAX West 2018

Take a look at the latest gameplay from this giant-monster-battling action-adventure game.

Hands-on with BioMutant’s adorable — and deadly — critters

oiuI4sA.jpg

Melee combat highlights Experiment 101’s unusual adventure

Just Cause 4’s extreme weather systems won’t clash, “each extreme weather is bound to a biome”

You may have hoped that the extreme weather events in Just Cause 4 could meet and combine their destructive awesomeness. The whirlwind pulling enemy jeeps up into the air and flinging them into a lightning storm, or a sand storm shot through with lighting strikes. Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen. Each weather sytem will stick to its specific biome.

Industries of Titan Combat Trailer

Industries of Titan is an industrial city building sim/strategy game, set on Saturn's moon Titan.

New NBA 2K19 Trailer Showcases The Neighborhood

The Neighborhood feature is back once again for NBA 2K19. If you're new to the game, it's basically a streetside court where anyone can play a quick game, including a 3 on 3 game.

NBA 2K19's The Prelude Tackles the Chinese Basketball League in a Novel Way

NBA 2K explores basketball outside of America.

Streets of Rage 4 is a retro revival done right

A flashy modern art style and new ideas freshen up a classic arcade series.

Initial Thoughts on Valkyria Chronicles 4 Ahead of the Review

usvofQf.png

I'll admit, I went into my review of Valkyria Chronicles 4 with some trepidation. It's been rough going for the series since the breakout original, with last year's Valkyria Revolution being the nadir. But after playing the first four chapters of the review version, I'm finding that I'm enjoying Valkyria Chronicles 4 more than I ever expected

6 Minutes of What the Golf? Gameplay - PAX West 2018

Take a look at gameplay of What the Golf? the golf game that's barely about golf.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Trades In Bonfires for Grappling Hooks and Traversal is Better For It

gnHnFSX.png

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice isn’t just a twist on the established Soulsborne formula—it’s a developer taking a confident step forward in a new direction, while also paying homage to some forgotten gems of its past. Going into my appointment to play From Software’s next big title at Gamescom 2018, I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect, not just because I’d purposefully avoided gameplay footage up until then. But when I got let loose in the world of Sekiro, it became immediately obvious that you shouldn’t assume Sekiro takes after the more prolific of From Software titles.

We. The Revolution is a horribly queasy game about life and death

gwXQS2d.jpg

From Papers Please to Aviary Attorney, I am a sucker for narrative games involving quick thinking and paperwork. When I stumbled across We. The Revolution at this year's PAX West, then, I was keen to jump straight in. Afterward, I needed a good long sit down. Just as a heads-up for those who might find it upsetting, this article touches on topics such as sexual assault and religious persecution.

This Land is My Land takes a different view of the Wild West than Red Dead Redemption

7DTiIGm.jpg

Stealth game tells the story of Native Americans repelling invasion

Turn-based roguelike Deep Sky Derelicts leaving Early Access on September 26

BQ7hrRK.jpg

How does a "mix of Darkest Dungeon and XCOM with a pinch of Hearthstone and FTL" sound to you? Keen? Then you should probably keep an eye on Deep Sky Derelicts, a turn-based roguelike with card-based combat that's leaving Early Access on September 26.

Pokémon-esque Heartbeat launches September 14th, demo available now

Upcoming creature-battling RPG Heartbeat has immediately piqued my interest, and not just because I’m pining after a new Pokémon game. Everything from its character designs to its promise that I can raise a magical baby moth seems right up my alley.

Rapture Rejects Trailer - PAX West

Rapture Rejects, the top-down last man standing game set in the apocalyptic world of Cyanide & Happiness is now available for Pre-Order.

NUCLEAR THRONE DEVELOPER VLAMBEER JUST SURPRISE REVEALED A NEW GAME - PAX WEST 2018

Vlambeer, the developer of Nuclear Throne and Luftrausers, celebrated its eighth birthday with quite the surprise at PAX West 2018 — a brand new, never-before-seen game.

Watch the Dreams Devs Use a Mech to Halt an Alien Invasion in New Gameplay Demo

We have some more Dreams gameplay thanks to a livestream held at PAX West last weekend. It shows the devs piloting a giant mech and fending off an alien invasion, demonstrating just how versatile Dreams’ creation tools can be.

Enjoy 9 minutes of sneaky Sleeper hunting in a new GTFO gameplay video

GTFO is a four-player sci-fi horror shooter that demands teamwork and discretion.

Overload - Coming Soon Trailer | PS4

Introducing Overload, a new six-degrees-of-freedom shooter with intuitive controls, amazing lighting and graphics. From the creators of Descent, Overload is the best zero-gravity robot-blasting combat ever. This is the “Coming Soon” version to be made available pre-release.

Beyond Blue is an intriguing undersea voyage into marine biology

Educational game comes from the publisher behind Never Alone

The next game from the Max Payne dev will twist your mind more than quantum physics

SZCZ78y.jpg

Quantum Break had a singular goal: to blend video game storytelling with television. For Remedy’s next title, the developer wants to establish phenomena beyond human comprehension.

7 New Things You Need to Know About Resident Evil 2 Remake: Resident Evil 2 Remake Claire Gameplay

New Resident Evil 2 Remake Claire Gameplay! We recently played a section of Claire's campaign in the Resident Evil 2 Remake, and then sat down with Capcom to chat about the changes they've made and the things they've kept the same for the hotly anticipated reimagining of this iconic horror game. Expect chat about Chief Irons, William Birkin, Sherry Birkin and of course, Ada Wong!

Resident Evil 2’s reimagined boss fights are scarier than ever

I was five when Resident Evil 2 originally came out. Unsurprisingly, my parents decided to take heed of the age rating on the front of the box, saving me from the horrors inside. That was a convenient enough excuse then, but now, as a fully-fledged adult, I had no way out of enduring the remastered scares of the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake in my Gamescom 2018 demo.

Anthem: Our World, My Story Trailer - PAX West 2018

A look at the storytelling aspects of Anthem and the gameplay modes you can explore with friends.

Anthem's NPCs Are A Radical Shift For Bioware

In a pre-panel press conference today, Bioware developers gave a short presentation about the world of Anthem. The clear message is that they’re not giving up on single-player storytelling with cool NPCs. It’s unclear if what they’re offering is going to be enough, though.

Anthem makers thread the needle of a cooperative shooter with solo storytelling

Anthem’s makers at BioWare have had to face down skepticism from fans who’ve so far seen something that seems quite divergent from what the studio has become known for. At a panel at PAX West today, the game’s senior creative leadership again stressed Anthem will tell the stories and build character relationships that have drawn so many to the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series.

Anthem will have raids, and we’ve seen one already

Anthem’s endgame will be at least partially characterized by raids, BioWare revealed today at a conference at PAX West. The multiplayer co-op title’s raids are intense adventures culminating in tough fights, one of which we’ve seen already.

Anthem will have a demo in February, plus alphas and betas along the way

Anthem will have a demo – as well as a beta, an alpha, and plenty more chances to play throughout the lead-up to release. Contrary to the modern gaming tradition, the demo is in fact a demo, as in a demonstration of the finished product and not an opportunity to collect feedback and do stress tests.

Anthem: Future story DLC will not be locked behind any paywalls

Bioware intends to continue the storyline of Anthem post-release, but it won’t charge you any more money to experience it.

Trans representation in Cyberpunk 2077 matters, but not because it's cyberpunk

GRXPFL9.jpg

"To pretend the genre was always progressive, that it always explored issues of race and gender, is to erase the efforts of many authors to bring cyberpunk to that place."

Bloodroots Feels Like Hotline Miami Meets Samurai Jack - PAX West 2018

Tom Marks and Jonathon Dornbush discuss the fast, brutal action of Bloodroots and its many crazy weapons.

Pandemic Express Reveal Trailer - PAX West

In this upcoming multiplayer survival game, try to escape from infected others or get caught and hunt remaining survivors.

15 Minutes of Below Gameplay - PAX West 2018

We check out the latest build of Capy Games' beautiful roguelike adventure.

FIFA 19 Battle Royale - Survival Mode Gameplay

FIFA 19 has introduced a load of new Kick-Off modes, including the Battle Royale-like Survival. Check out this gameplay of Real Madrid vs. Inter Milan captured on PS4 Pro.

Hell Warders - Announcement Trailer

Hell is at our gates! Rise up as one of the mighty Hell Warders, an ancient order of heroes with unique powers and abilities, to resist the demon hordes head-on. Push back wave after wave of Hell-spawn with an arsenal of weapons, rip apart their fearsome commanders with powerful hero skills, and deploy your army of knights, archers, and mages to bring the fight back to Hell!

13 Minutes of Levelhead Gameplay - PAX West 2018

Check out the platforming and level building action of the Super Mario Maker-like creator from Butterscotch Shenanigans.

11 Bit’s next game won’t be like Frostpunk, but it will probably be sad

crRTozQ.jpg

11 Bit Studios is currently in the midst of a series of updates and expansions for Frostpunk, but the company also has a new game on the way. Tentatively given the not-so-creative title of Project 8, details on the unannounced project are currently scarce, but we heard a few bits of what to expect when speaking to the team at PAX West.

An online co-op Lord of the Rings game is coming from the people who own Warframe

OspfRCJ.jpg

There’s a new Lord of the Rings game coming. Publisher Athlon Games has entered into a “long-term licensing agreement” with Middle-earth Enterprises, the company which manages the rights to J.R.R. Tolkein’s works, starting with an online game that will serve as a prequel to The Lord of the Rings, showcasing a whole host of new additions to the world.

The redemption of For Honor

Ubisoft are making a name for themselves saving and improving upon games after release. Siege, The Division and For Honor especially have benefited from this. Let's take a look at how they did it. This video is sponsored by Ubisoft.

BattleTech: Flashpoint comes with a free arcade mode and ally-only shops

XlxwUNu.png

BattleTech’s coming Flashpoint expansion will land on the same day as a free update, version 1.3, which will add an arcade-like Career Mode.

Rainbow Six Siege: The Making of Grim Sky's New Operators and Hereford Rework | Ubisoft [NA]

Operation Grim Sky gives players exciting new tools and plenty of opportunities to experiment with them. Whether it’s figuring out how to put the first shield defender in play, tactically assessing an entirely reworked map, or even scorching a masterpiece into a wall, the developers crafted the new operators and map with your creativity in mind.

Marvel's Spider-Man - The Heist DLC Black Cat Reveal Trailer

Black Cat is coming to Marvel's Spider-Man in the first DLC pack, arriving this October.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 DLC western release schedule announced

XnqOp6K.jpg

Additional content due out through December.

12 Minutes Of Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country Gameplay (No Commentary)

During PAX West 2018 we got a chance to play some of the upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles 2 expansion, Torna – The Golden Country, which releases digitally September 14 and physically September 21.

Shovel Knight's final two expansions will release in April

Armour-clad 2D platformer Shovel Knight will be launching a double expansion on April 9th. As well as the previously announced King Of Cards, Yacht Club Games will be releasing Shovel Knight Showdown, a local-only multiplayer party game that will come as both a free update for owners of the game and as a standalone purchase. You can watch a 10-minute gameplay demo courtesy of IGN below:

Generation Zero looks similar to a tabletop RPG, and its artist isn’t happy

The artist behind the tabletop game Tales from the Loop, Simon Stålenhag, has voiced his concern over the stylistic similarities between Generation Zero and his own work since the trailer dropped a couple of weeks ago.

Sony Won't Allow Fortnite Cross-Play Because It Believes That PS4 Offers the Best Experience

Oh boy, this quote is sure to rile some people up. Speaking at the IFA Technology show in Germany, Sony chief executive Kenichiro Yoshida was quizzed on the current situation surrounding the lack of cross-console play functionality for the PlayStation 4 version of Fortnite.

Star Citizen studio backs away from plan to charge fans to stream convention

bwOHTKu.png

Chris Roberts steps up to defend his plan on the official message boards, later announces all streams will be free

Elite Dangerous developers have big plans for the game’s future

7HjlUHE.jpg

There’s more in store for Elite Dangerous following the Beyond storyline, developers Frontier have said in a post on the game’s community forum. While there aren’t any firm details on what’s coming with that next milestone, head of communications Zac Antonaci did provide some new details on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous in the year ahead.

Scum’s Nazi tattoos have been removed from the game

pog3J2l.png

Devolver Digital will review all other game content, saying it ‘apologizes unreservedly’

EA donates $1 million to victims of Madden tournament shooting

B0ZPvoL.png

Well-wishers can also offer their own donations to those affected through the Jacksonville Tribute

Jacksonville Shooting Victim Sues EA And Venue

Mitich, who was shot twice, is seeking damages from eight defendants including EA, the Jacksonville Landing mall, and pizza parlor Chicago Pizza, where the tournament took place. The suit alleges that the venue was unsafe and that EA “failed to provide a safe and secure environment” for the participants, among other complaints.

2K asks fans to tell Belgium they want loot boxes

NBA 2K19 launches in a couple weeks, and in Belgium, it’ll be missing a certain component: players there will not be able to buy card packs with real-money currency, thanks to a determination by the Belgian Gaming Commission that such transactions constitute illegal gambling.

NBA 2K producer: Microtransations are 'unfortunate reality' of modern games

NBA 2K19 senior producer Rob Jones has claimed in-game currency and microtransations are an "unfortunate reality of modern gaming."

Chinese Ministry of Education recommends fewer game approvals to combat myopia

Om9qDhx.jpg

Also encourages regulations for screen time and introduction of age ratings for video games in China

Metal Slader Glory has finally been fan translated into English

August 30th marked the 27th anniversary of the original Famicom release of Metal Slader Glory, HAL Laboratory's final independent title before they were bought by Nintendo and put to task making a variety of Kirby and Smash Bros. games for them (though they're technically still independent).

Esports News

Olympic president: Violent games still a problem facing esports as an event

1HoMG4G.png

Six esports demonstrated at this week’s 2018 Asian Games

After An Unlikely Tie, Fortnite Summer Skirmish Grand Finalist Got Determined By Coin Flip

YB3pdHC.png

Yesterday, two Fortnite players tied for the 33rd qualifying spot in today’s Summer Skirmish grand finals: The_Real_Cryohme and SSG Colton. The 33rd slot wins a minimum of $5,000 and the potential to win far more; today’s first prize winner will take home $225,000. Only 33 players could advance to the final stage, though. Epic Games had to determine the true last-place finisher with a coin flip.

Shanghai Dragons release eight players following 0-40 Overwatch League season

QdQyxlv.jpg

Only Diya, Fearless and Geguri remain.

Content I found interesting this week (interviews, recommendations, think pieces, history, music, culture, design, art, documentaries, criticism, etc)

“All Their Engines,” by Tara Hillegeist

MXtdoEP.jpg

When John Carmack coined the phrase “game engine” to describe the original DOOM‘s programming code, he meant it to evoke a car: a manufactured thing, assembled in sequence by multiple hands. Much like the rest of Carmack’s career, it was a deliberate attempt at image and tone control, as much a piece of social engineering as the game was computer engineering. It reflected his endless pursuit of building impressive hardware architecture to create super-efficient ways of thinking about very old representational problems and presenting them as innovative solutions. The small size of id Software’s team during DOOM‘s development means his ideas about engineering linger vividly in the game’s architecture to this day.

The Oral History of Treyarch's Spider-Man 2: One of the Best Superhero Games Ever

iNrxXP1.jpg

Sure, it made a lot of money. But it also rewrote the rules for what a superhero game could be. Here’s the story behind Treyarch's 2004 masterpiece.

Web history: a lifetime of playing Spider-Man

If someone asks you to name the best Spider-Man game of all time, you don't need an uncanny, prickling spider-sense to intuit the answer. Unless the new PS4-exclusive blockbuster bash-em-up manages to set some stratospheric new benchmark - and since developers Insomniac have boldly messed with the classic costume design, they must be fairly confident - the answer will forever be 2004's Spider-Man 2.

Delphine is a nearly-forgotten developer that created timeless games

a6oBZrQ.jpg

How a small company made games that will live forever

'We're Sorry': Riot Pledges Sweeping Changes To Address Accusations Of Sexism

cpd2kkl.png

A half dozen former Riot employees have published their own stories about sexism at the company in blog posts after Kotaku’s investigation (here, here, here, here, here and here). Several others detailed their experiences in Twitter threads and Facebook posts and comments. Victims of Riot’s culture are healing together in private channels. The company, for its part, has spent much of the last three weeks internally reacting to the public outing of its sexist culture in meetings and one-on-ones. In an all-hands meeting discussing Kotaku’s reporting, Riot co-founder Marc Merrill began crying, two sources watching told Kotaku. Co-founder Brandon Beck handed him tissues, the sources added. Leaders promised change to current employees, and many of them demanded it.

Scam Key Requests on Steam: Who Hides Behind Fake Emails

dAlaJ9x.png

You know, I have plenty of reasons to enjoy releasing new games. I am sure you can relate to most of them: anticipation of warm reception, fan excitement, monetary gain. But one rather unconventional thing is my anticipation of scam emails. When I’ve started publishing games two years ago, I quickly figured out that people will try to scam you out of the keys. I simply ignored them or asked for verification and they never replied. But since about a year ago, I’ve actually started asking them to share their reasons and insights. I’ve learned a few things that I think could benefit you too if you are publishing games on Steam.

People Who Haven't Played Spider-Man Are Mad The Developers Took Out A Puddle

S0bpVao.png

They say there’s no use crying over spilled milk, but what about spilled water? That, according to a contingent of Spider-Man fans, is worth a fuss of superheroic proportions.

Games companies continue to neglect issue of employee harassment

CSUq6cz.png

But Polygon survey finds how one company is taking the initiative

On criticism and reviews

7fyDjry.jpg

When examining a piece of art, we’re examining a human-made object from all its corners: We remove it from the wall of the present, holding it up to the light of the past, casting its shadow into the future. Framed by the context of its circumstances, all creations manifest the particular biases, quirks and prejudices of their creators. To ignore the humanity within art is to ignore the art itself. But the humanity that should concern observers and appreciators of any art need not only be the humanity behind the art but also of those who stand before it. Both creators’ and the audience’s context and circumstances matter.

Sympathy for the… person who left a negative review on Steam for a game they put 600 hours into. (working title)

4NHOSfA.jpg

Stop me if this sounds like gibberish, but I just had a game of Vermintide 2 on Legend, where a Chaos patrol appeared out of nowhere and got aggro’d, and although we managed to kill ’em and finish the run, our Kruber died and we lost a grim, so despite having 3 tomes, a grim and a loot dice, I only got a General’s Vault and the whole run was a bust ‘cos I didn’t get any reds! If that doesn’t make any sense, don’t worry because I wrote that paragraph to be impenetrable to anyone who isn’t playing Vermintide 2 on high difficulty. It’ll make sense at the end, trust me.

Come with me on a journey of sorts as we explore the mindset of a type of gamer we sometimes find mystifying, someone who’s put an extraordinary amount of time into a game, but has left a negative, or even angry review on the Steam page.

Origin Stories: Devs recount their first game design experiences

oOqu0oE.jpg

Every game developer starts somewhere. Maybe it was a goofy little Twine project. Maybe it was a mod level. Maybe it was drawing a D&D module on graph paper, or scribbling their own Mario levels on notebook paper in class. Maybe it was inventing new "house rules" for Risk or Monopoly.

Take a closer look at one of the best video game cities, Grim Fandango’s Rubacava

PxIj7Hw.png

We present an excerpt from the upcoming book Virtual Cities

A major video games exhibition opens next week - and it's very different

QBzYIh0.jpg

London's V&A museum takes a radical approach.

How Battle Brothers builds a team

Bt62Mxl.jpg

Many of my mercenaries have died under arms, but Meinolf’s death was the only tragedy. While collecting a reward in the town of Birkenstrand, my band were approached by a townsman who insisted the kid was such trouble their best option was to foist him on me. My band, the Stalwart Standard, had a vacancy: the swordsman of the crew had died to a ghoul, so I outfitted this new, youngest member with partially intact and presumably bloody gear. Meinolf cost me just six gold, or one day’s wages, because just a few turns into his first battle he was dead. I sent him to block an enemy brigand on a ridge from moving forward and attacking down at my men, which he did successfully for two rounds before he was clubbed to death. The Stalwart Standard were hiring again.

Phantom Doctrine/Hard West Lead On Being a Developer

Speedrunning Is Awesome, And Here's Why

Let's explore the cool stuff that goes into making speedrunning fun!

Oh and also let's commit to me destroying my entire life for charity trying to play all of donkey kong 64 in one sitting. Uh oh. Why did I do this

I've gotta change my avatar I actually really don't like bananas. Maybe I hate them because of this game. Or maybe it's because one time I ate some rotten pizza and it tasted just enough like banana that I gag. Lol I wrote all all of this and you read it. The internet is a miracle.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Hbomb

DOOM: The Fake Outrage

Countdown to the first accusation of meta-meta-outrage.

https://www.patreon.com/shaun_jen

24 years later, speedrunner finds 'the last official secret' of Doom 2

John Romero congratulated Zero Master on finally mastering map 15.

How Game Grumps Created Dream Daddy - Noclip Documentary

How does a popular gaming YouTube channel make the pivot to video games development? And why? Guest host Alanah Pearce visits the Game Grumps to uncover the unlikely story of Dream Daddy - the gay dad dating sim with a heart of gold.

Our work is 100% crowdfunded. Consider supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/noclip

Fez's Animated Environments

I've found that there's a reason Fez has such cute and simple animations and art, have a little watch of why.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/DanRoot

How to Animate a Smash Bros Character - New Frame Plus

How do you adapt a character's animation to the needs of a fighting game like Smash Bros? Learn how Smash Bros animation prioritizes the needs of gameplay AND character simultaneously. Subscribe to see more game animation analysis videos!

Prey: Mooncrash

Prey: Mooncrash is a pretty cool game that takes a genre known for encouraging creative solutions to problems by giving you All Of The Powers, and turns it on its head by more or less forcing you to come up with creative solutions through throwing roadblocks in your way. It's kinda neat! And it's DLC for Prey! And stuff!

This episode was made possible by generous support through Patreon! http://www.patreon.com/errantsignal

God of War - Almost a Masterpiece

Light Fall - The Platform Creation Platformer | BoukenJima

Light Fall is a platformer released in 2018 and built on a single gimmick: platform creation. Let's look at how it works and why the type of game it represents is so close to my heart.

The World Design of Super Metroid | Boss Keys

Making a Metroidvania is an enormous design challenge. How do you let a player loose in an interconnected world, without them becoming lost or frustrated?

In this series, I'll be looking at key Metroid titles, and games inspired by the franchise, to see how this type of world is structured. In this episode, I'm looking at the SNES all-time classic, Super Metroid.

Support Boss Keys on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/GameMakersToolkit

Parasocial Relationships in OFF, Undertale and OneShot

We discuss Parasocial Relationships in OFF, Undertale, OneShot in a video that took over a year to finally complete.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/redangel

Dead Cells & Stream Integration

The full release of Dead Cells has incorporated a curious feature called "Streaming Mode". Let's talk about why this is awesome and how other potential games could utilize this in the future.

Support snomaN Gaming on Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/snomangaming

Chromatic Notes Are Goofy In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

In this video I took a look at a few of the ways you can make chromaticism sound goofy using the soundtrack from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door as an example. There's a lot of different types of sounds or effects you can get out of chromatic notes, and this game's music was the perfect showcase for some of the more silly ones.

PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/8bitmusictheory

Kojima's Cancelled Masterpiece - Investigating Silent Hills

Please consider supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GVMERS

When a video game is cancelled, it can be difficult to judge how it would have fared if history had gone differently. Most of the time, the public is only treated to a small snapshot of the title’s content; some screenshots, a bit of canned footage or maybe even a vertical slice or two. As promising as titles like StarCraft: Ghost or Star Wars 1313 might have appeared during their brief existence, the reality is that the world only ever gleaned an idea of what these projects might have offered upon release. Even their developers have no way of knowing exactly how they would have netted out.

Retrohistories: Under the Radar

This is the story of a 'bug' in Maxis’s 1996 open world game SimCopter that wasn't what it appeared to be, and how it was intertwined with the origin story of one of the world’s most infamous pranksters.

Retrohistories is funded entirely through the contributions of supporters on Patreon. Rewards include names/avatars in the credits and behind-the-scenes updates.

If you enjoyed this video and are interested in helping me make more, the link is https://www.patreon.com/retrohistories

The Story Behind DOOM's Cheat Codes - Codex

The first episode of Codex takes a look at the story behind DOOM's cheat codes, and the person responsible for making them a (virtual) reality.

The History Of Spider-Man Video Games

Spider-Man hits the PS4 in just a week, so we decided to look back at the wall crawler's history that spans four decades from Atari 2600 to PS4.

Guns, Gorillas, Gaming

Support the Channel at: https://www.patreon.com/raycevick

The Industry Workings of Gamescom 2018

Support the show on Patreon - http://patreon.com/writingongames

In which I discuss about my experience at Gamescom 2018 and why I'm too weird to just enjoy the amazing games I got to see and play; instead asking questions about the nature of the industry, the ever-evolving definition of "media", how that affects companies presenting their games and in turn how it can potentially affect the reporting on said games.

How Ubisoft plans an E3 conference

It's the biggest show in the video games calendar each year, but how does it actually come together? We speak to the team behind Ubisoft's E3 conference.

Support our work: https://www.patreon.com/PeopleMakeGames

The Creators of Ninja Gaiden Play 'The Messenger'

Hideo Yoshizawa the director/producer of the original Ninja Gaiden, and Keiji Yamagishi, the composer fo the original Ninja Gaiden had a chance to play The Messenger at Bitsummit 2018. The duo loved what they played and we invited them to check out the latest version and give their thoughts on The Messenger and its strong inspiration from Ninja Gaiden.