• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doctor

Angry Joe's Star Citizen interview

13 posts in this topic

A pretty nice interview with Brian Chambers and Tony Z. Just a bit too agressive style to me so devs couldn't answer the questions nicely. Although the interview seems to be done more to people who doesn't follow the development I think it was still pretty interesting to watch. I assume Joe doesn't has not been following the project closely and that's why he asked question that has been answered already.

I'm looking forward to see Joe's thoughts about the project in upcoming video. I expect quite critical view and it is actually first time me to hear how much he knows about the project and his thoughts about it.

I saw the AJ's CitizenCon Coverage.
Then I saw the interview. 

I kind of have a feeling that this content was more for haters of SC. I still believe that most of that hate was based on lack of information, but still, it was a lot.
Are there around here still some people who actually looking forward to play SC at some point in future?

7 hours ago, Little_More said:

I saw the AJ's CitizenCon Coverage.
Then I saw the interview. 

I kind of have a feeling that this content was more for haters of SC. I still believe that most of that hate was based on lack of information, but still, it was a lot.
Are there around here still some people who actually looking forward to play SC at some point in future?

The interview would have been much better without unnecessary agressiveness, would have let Brian and Tony talk and if AJ would have done a bit background work beforehand. If you can look beyond those problems the interview is not bad.

AJSA forum is silent but I'm pretty sure here are many players who are looking forward to play Squadron 42 and/or Star Citizen PU.

Are you looking forward to play either of those? Which one are you waiting for more?

I am looking forward to play both.

Sq42 will offer several hours of epic story single player.

SC will offer something to do next. Immersive universe filled by 10% of players and 90% of NPCs. And hundreds of hours of gameplay.

22 hours ago, Little_More said:

I am looking forward to play both.

Sq42 will offer several hours of epic story single player.

SC will offer something to do next. Immersive universe filled by 10% of players and 90% of NPCs. And hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Sounds like a good plan :). I'm not sure what to expect from SQ42 yet but I guess it will be a cheesy (in a good way) Hollywood space action adventure. Trailer looks beautiful and I'm looking forward their new cloud tech in Alpha 3.4 already (nebulas, etc.).

Alpha 3.3 (PTU) is surprisingly fun already and getting better patch by patch. Many interesting changes has scheduled for Alpha 3.4, like a new flight model.

I think that OCS (Object Container Streaming) introduced in 3.3 makes significant improvement to performace, and therefore to gameplay.

I am looking forward to play 3.3.5, with more places to visit and more things to do. CitCon experience in our computers.

Although trailer of Sq42 was awesome, it may be too soon for celebrations.

I still remember "Answer the call. 2016"

At CitCon they promissed we will get Roadmao for Sq42 "up to the end" in December.

So I except Sq42 to be released around December 2019.

18 minutes ago, Little_More said:

I think that OCS (Object Container Streaming) introduced in 3.3 makes significant improvement to performace, and therefore to gameplay.

I am looking forward to play 3.3.5, with more places to visit and more things to do. CitCon experience in our computers.

Although trailer of Sq42 was awesome, it may be too soon for celebrations.

I still remember "Answer the call. 2016"

At CitCon they promissed we will get Roadmao for Sq42 "up to the end" in December.

So I except Sq42 to be released around December 2019.

OCS has definitely improved FPS significantly and made testing / playing easier. The current 3.3.0u has been pretty stable so far with only one CTD (Crash to Desktop) so far. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if they will decide to push 3.3.0 to Live soon.

Alpha 3.3.5 will be a nice addition and will increase the size of playable universe a lot. There were few interesting presentations in CitCon about Hurston and Lorville. It is good to see how much effort they put procedural generation + handcrafting + writing.

What is the tech (cloud tech, full persistence, server meshing, etc.) you are looking forward most? How about gameplay (salvaging, bounty hunting, farming, etc.)?

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't hold hope too high for Squadron 42 release anytime soon. I don't personally mind when Squadron 42 will be released so in my point of view CIG can use all the time they need. I assume there are still lots of cleaning up and balancing to do. Thinking that Alpha 3.4 (and SQ42) will have a new flight model should make quite big difference in space combat and therefore affect to mission balance, etc. NPC AI, flight AI, etc. seems to still get improvement at least what comes to PU roadmap.

50 minutes ago, Doctor said:

OCS has definitely improved FPS significantly and made testing / playing easier. The current 3.3.0u has been pretty stable so far with only one CTD (Crash to Desktop) so far. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if they will decide to push 3.3.0 to Live soon.

Alpha 3.3.5 will be a nice addition and will increase the size of playable universe a lot. There were few interesting presentations in CitCon about Hurston and Lorville. It is good to see how much effort they put procedural generation + handcrafting + writing.

What is the tech (cloud tech, full persistence, server meshing, etc.) you are looking forward most? How about gameplay (salvaging, bounty hunting, farming, etc.)?

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't hold hope too high for Squadron 42 release anytime soon. I don't personally mind when Squadron 42 will be released so in my point of view CIG can use all the time they need. I assume there are still lots of cleaning up and balancing to do. Thinking that Alpha 3.4 (and SQ42) will have a new flight model should make quite big difference in space combat and therefore affect to mission balance, etc. NPC AI, flight AI, etc. seems to still get improvement at least what comes to PU roadmap.

Tech I am looking forward the most? In-game organization system and server meshing (that allows hundreds of players to play together). Server meshing is a big thing, even bigger than OCS, so I do not expect it soon.

Location persistence could be useful too. Full persistence, however, is not something I want before all balance and bugfixing is done. 

I am also very excited about new game mechanics, comming next year. 
Finaly something to do.

3 hours ago, Little_More said:

Tech I am looking forward the most? In-game organization system and server meshing (that allows hundreds of players to play together). Server meshing is a big thing, even bigger than OCS, so I do not expect it soon.

Location persistence could be useful too. Full persistence, however, is not something I want before all balance and bugfixing is done. 

I am also very excited about new game mechanics, comming next year. 
Finaly something to do.

I don't have much details what in-game organization system will include. Do you know any details about it?

I'm most likely going to star playing as solo but still I really like how CIG is pushing features forward which makes communication and emergent gameplay between players possible. FoIP+VoIP were great additions. I would like to see organization features included soon too.

If I remember right they are aiming to have about 200 players/server end of this year. That's not much considering how big the playable universe should be at that point but a step forward nevertheless. I guess server meshing is last of their big required techs and definitely will take some time to get it included.

There are already some smaller features in Alpha 3.4 which I really look forward; a new flight model, FPS ping & scanning, gas cloud tech and projectile manager. Of course all AI improvements are very welcomed.

My biggest interest for next year are probably background simulation (economics) and salvaging. More mission tech; dynamic and chained missions would give current missions much more variety and depth so no new missions or types would be even needed yet.

So far I have had lots of fun during testing alpha versions.

2 hours ago, Doctor said:

I don't have much details what in-game organization system will include. Do you know any details about it?

I'm most likely going to star playing as solo but still I really like how CIG is pushing features forward which makes communication and emergent gameplay between players possible. FoIP+VoIP were great additions. I would like to see organization features included soon too.

If I remember right they are aiming to have about 200 players/server end of this year. That's not much considering how big the playable universe should be at that point but a step forward nevertheless. I guess server meshing is last of their big required techs and definitely will take some time to get it included.

There are already some smaller features in Alpha 3.4 which I really look forward; a new flight model, FPS ping & scanning, gas cloud tech and projectile manager. Of course all AI improvements are very welcomed.

My biggest interest for next year are probably background simulation (economics) and salvaging. More mission tech; dynamic and chained missions would give current missions much more variety and depth so no new missions or types would be even needed yet.

So far I have had lots of fun during testing alpha versions.

No, I have no details about the in-game organization system. I expect, like with everything in SC, this system will come in "version 1", with more features later.

First of all I expect some communication tools. For communication, I heard, the goal is full integration of the Spectrum (SC forum/chat) into the game.(And Org chat/forum is also part of spectrum.) That would be good start.

Until server meshing happen, I do not think 200 players will be possible. They only "not denied", that future performance optimizations on server side could lead to more players per server, however, such optimizations on server did not happen yet, and I do not see them on SC Roadmap (yet). Current count of players per server (which are separated from each other) is about 50. I do not think this is going to change soon. End of this year seems unlikely to me. Server meshing, when it happen, will allow to have hundreds of players be able to play together (thats why it is such big thing; I would estimate it will be done in late 2021).

Not sure what is so awesome about gas cloud tech. Maybe I just did not get it. What is so amazing about that?

AI improvements? I knew I did forget something. I am looking forward to have some PvE FPS experiences on Hurstson. (Not that I would not like PvP experience too)

I hope for good and balanced economic. Otherwise this game is going to be doomed. Which is not what I want this game to be.

I did not have much fun in versions before 3.3. Low frame rate, a lot of bugs, a lot of griefers, and almost nothing to do. I did try almost all versions from very first "hangar module", but it was literaly few hours of download, few hours of gameplay and uninstall. After few hours there was not much to do.
With 3.2 they introduced the mining. Still bugged, still low framerate, but finaly something to do. With PTU 3.3, even framerate is better now. And I hope for some more fun from 3.3.5 on. 

(One of the biggest recent features for me was the new patching system that no longer requires to download full game (over 30GB) with each new version of the game, and it only needs the difference.)

14 hours ago, Little_More said:

No, I have no details about the in-game organization system. I expect, like with everything in SC, this system will come in "version 1", with more features later.

First of all I expect some communication tools. For communication, I heard, the goal is full integration of the Spectrum (SC forum/chat) into the game.(And Org chat/forum is also part of spectrum.) That would be good start.

Until server meshing happen, I do not think 200 players will be possible. They only "not denied", that future performance optimizations on server side could lead to more players per server, however, such optimizations on server did not happen yet, and I do not see them on SC Roadmap (yet). Current count of players per server (which are separated from each other) is about 50. I do not think this is going to change soon. End of this year seems unlikely to me. Server meshing, when it happen, will allow to have hundreds of players be able to play together (thats why it is such big thing; I would estimate it will be done in late 2021).

Not sure what is so awesome about gas cloud tech. Maybe I just did not get it. What is so amazing about that?

AI improvements? I knew I did forget something. I am looking forward to have some PvE FPS experiences on Hurstson. (Not that I would not like PvP experience too)

I hope for good and balanced economic. Otherwise this game is going to be doomed. Which is not what I want this game to be.

I did not have much fun in versions before 3.3. Low frame rate, a lot of bugs, a lot of griefers, and almost nothing to do. I did try almost all versions from very first "hangar module", but it was literaly few hours of download, few hours of gameplay and uninstall. After few hours there was not much to do.
With 3.2 they introduced the mining. Still bugged, still low framerate, but finaly something to do. With PTU 3.3, even framerate is better now. And I hope for some more fun from 3.3.5 on. 

(One of the biggest recent features for me was the new patching system that no longer requires to download full game (over 30GB) with each new version of the game, and it only needs the difference.)

Yeah, I guess they just implement organization functionality in Spectrum to in-game. As far as I know they are using WebRTC so it could be that they will bring VoIP integration to browsers as well.

You are probably right that 200 players is not realistic goal until OCS server-side is done. The universe could feel a bit lonely once Hurston and ArcCorp and their moons has been integrated.

Gas cloud tech will bring nice athmospheric locations (pic1, pic2) and hopefully some interesting gameplay as well. Mining or salvaging inside a cloud could be profitable but  very dangerous and risky; you are most likely not able to call outside for help, pirates, etc.

Economics is very interesting. Tony Zurovec's CitizenCon presentation is worth to watch although he had no time to go in-depth.

Delta patcher was certainly a huge step forward. My Internet connection is fast enough to handle daily 30G patches but it is still much nicer to be able to patch the game almost in no time.

Today is Q&A episode about flight model in RtV. It is one of the most heated topics in game. JP did great ground work and I like how Colson is continuing from there.

20 hours ago, Doctor said:

Yeah, I guess they just implement organization functionality in Spectrum to in-game. As far as I know they are using WebRTC so it could be that they will bring VoIP integration to browsers as well.

You are probably right that 200 players is not realistic goal until OCS server-side is done. The universe could feel a bit lonely once Hurston and ArcCorp and their moons has been integrated.

Gas cloud tech will bring nice athmospheric locations (pic1, pic2) and hopefully some interesting gameplay as well. Mining or salvaging inside a cloud could be profitable but  very dangerous and risky; you are most likely not able to call outside for help, pirates, etc.

Economics is very interesting. Tony Zurovec's CitizenCon presentation is worth to watch although he had no time to go in-depth.

Delta patcher was certainly a huge step forward. My Internet connection is fast enough to handle daily 30G patches but it is still much nicer to be able to patch the game almost in no time.

Today is Q&A episode about flight model in RtV. It is one of the most heated topics in game. JP did great ground work and I like how Colson is continuing from there.

One of the goals is to populate universe by 90% of NPCs (with 10% of players), so even without any players around, it should be populated enough. Also those NPCs will not be there only to populate some cities and other areas, but even to "act" like another players, they will fly around, do missions, be pirates, traders, miners, explorers, adventurers, etc. And they will also use different classes of spaceships.
(Therefore only about 10% of big ships belongs to space whales. Rest will belong to NPCs. Just saying.)

Cloud tech seems interesting, visually. Hopefully gameplay is going to be interesting as well.

I already saw part of Tony Zurovec's presentation and I did read few articles, hopefully they will transform theory into practice soon.

About Q&A... I am glad that Aurora fan will work in atmosphere. I liked that on Constellation in its commercial.

2 hours ago, Little_More said:

One of the goals is to populate universe by 90% of NPCs (with 10% of players), so even without any players around, it should be populated enough. Also those NPCs will not be there only to populate some cities and other areas, but even to "act" like another players, they will fly around, do missions, be pirates, traders, miners, explorers, adventurers, etc. And they will also use different classes of spaceships.
(Therefore only about 10% of big ships belongs to space whales. Rest will belong to NPCs. Just saying.)

Cloud tech seems interesting, visually. Hopefully gameplay is going to be interesting as well.

I already saw part of Tony Zurovec's presentation and I did read few articles, hopefully they will transform theory into practice soon.

About Q&A... I am glad that Aurora fan will work in atmosphere. I liked that on Constellation in its commercial.

The plans for NPCs are incredible ambitious and hopefully they are able to implement as planned. As far as I know the idea would be that a player is not able to identify if a character is NPC or another player. It could be that NPCs will not be added for a while so the universe will stay pretty empty until then. Who knows, maybe they start to add NPCs once those backround simulations are started.

It is actually pretty interesting that adding just a new tech like gas clouds can potentially add lots of to gameplay. With dynamic and chained missions a gameplay can change drastically depending if part of the mission happens inside gas cloud or in deep space. A simple "fetch mission" can turned out to be an interesting adventure.

I'm very excited about new flight model. It sounds like there will be lots of variety between ships and how to fly them.