• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2019)

13 posts in this topic

Let other AJSA members know what games you have finished this year. Post a few words about what you thought of the game, a longer review, a video review or footage, screenshots, etc. Feel free to discuss the games we've beaten or to talk to others about them. For a game to be considered beaten either finish the single player portion of the game or, for games without campaigns (MMOs, sports games, multiplayer only games, etc), play to a point where you have seen what the game has to offer. Not going to be counting DLCs as individual games (as that could get confusing) but feel free to post your thoughts on them as that is also the point of the thread. If it is an expansion that was sold separately or stand alone content like Shogun 2's Fall of the Samurai I will count that. Episodic games will count as one game, not a game per episode, but feel free to mention each one if you want to discuss each episode individually.

If you want to see what people thought of a certain game or see how many people have played it you can use the search function near the top right of the page and type in the game's title, just switch the search option to be for this topic.

I'll keep track of how many games we each have finished to see who has been playing the most and what our combined total is for the year.

Total Games Completed: 15

Games Completed By Member

Kaz32: 6

Legolas_Katarn: 6

Madfinnishgamer3: 2

Rune: 1

Old Threads

Late 2015 (Completed 225)

2016 (Completed 626)

2017 (Completed 371)

2018 (Completed 302)

Alright, here we go again! First game of the year beaten - on the first day of the year, no less.

Game: Strider [2014]

Platform: PC

Play Time: 7.2 hrs

I honestly didn't expect to buy Strider at any point, much less play and beat it, but well... Here we are. Now Strider is a game that you can't play too carelessly, which kind of goes against the way I'm wired to play. But that's not to say that the ride wasn't enjoyable, because it was. For the most part. My only real points of complaint are how the controls work in the "zero-gravity" areas, which disoriented me slightly, and the boss battles that utilized them. Other than that, Strider was a fun ride - nice visuals, spot-on sound design, kick-ass music, satisfying gameplay with Metroidvania-style progression.

Rating: 4 / 5

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Here we go again! In the word of Masamune Date from Sengoku Basara:

1) Pato Box

How come I haven't heard of this game before in 2018?? This game is awesome!

It's basically Punch Out, but with everything in black and white. And in Doom art style which has characters always facing you even when you move in different directions. You play as a world champion boxer Patobox with the head of a duck who got poisoned during one of his title defence fight, and then got stabbed in the alley afterwards. Fortunately you're saved by a woman who's your old friend, and afterwards you pretty much have to find out who rigged your fight in the first place. By going to your office named Deathflock (nice harmless company name there) and beating the crap out of every high executive member in there. 

Now unlike Punchout, each bosses/ fighters have their own stages you have to go through first before fighting them. So in one place where the boss is a butcher, you have to go through these sadistic deathtraps filled with meat saws and tenderizers on a conveyor belt, MY LEAST FAVORITE STAGE EVER. Then there's another place where it's a high tech lab, and it turns into a hide and seek horror game where you have to avoid a rampaging duck monster. It's pretty cool stuff. The fights themselves are awesome with each bosses having their own patterns that you have to figure out just like in Punch Out, but in here, you can't get knocked out once. If you're close to getting knocked out, your vision will get hazy and you will breathe heavily, and if you manage to not get hit during this time, you'll recover to normal afterwards.

Oh yeah, if you're wondering why this game has so many ducks, apparently in this universe, ducks are the perfect being to merge with humans, and injecting yourself with duck DNA will enhance your capabilities, so everyone wants to be a duck...... this is actually treated dead seriously in this game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Completed: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Side scrolling action game similar to Castlevania 3 but with less challenging stairs. Different paths in each stage. At the end of the first three levels you can either gain an ally and play as them with their own abilities, kill them for a new power, or leave them. Characters sub weapons or abilities can give you different ways to progress or options to handle enemies and obstacles in much simpler ways, some characters have moves that combo well together. Different endings will give you two different modes where you replay the game as the other characters with a new extra stage and boss or play with a new charged attack. Can take all three allies with you and swap with a button.

Completed: Secret Little Haven

A well written and presented story focused on self acceptance, societal expectations and gaslighting, early internet culture and interaction, fandom, and the fragility of partly anonymous but meaningful online friendships and relationships. Set in 1999 where you engage with your friends through instant messenger, doing a good job capturing the feel of its use, and an online community focused around a magical girl anime. Story condensed in length with final parental interaction standing in more for dealing with and overcoming a lifetime of masculine societal expectations, rather than something overcome in a day and a out of nowhere group messaging system.

2) Rad Rodgers: World One

This is 3D realm's next new game besides Bombshell. This time they go back to the days of 2D platformers with a kid hero shooting stuff. Only in this game, the kid's name is Rad Rodgers and he's accompanied by this.... robot videogame console thing named Dusty. The both got stuck in an SNES cardtridge and have to complete the levels to get back to the real world. And together the two embark on a platformer game, with lots of CRINGE worthy lines. 

Gotta say, this is a pretty decent platformer game. You have a gun with plenty of powerups for it, lots of secrets to uncover in all the levels, and a pretty good soundtrack to accompany it. Unfortunately the game also comes with a lot of bad jokes, sometimes off platforming and a bunch of enemies that requires WAAYY too many bullets to kill, so you'll just stay in one spot and press the fire button like crazy. You can hold the fire button down if you want, but tapping it is better because the gun will fire much faster. My hand got sore just doing this over and over.

Ah yes, and you can beat this game in just 2 hours. Because this whole game as the title said is just World One, and World Two is shown in the ending........ WHAT?! The weird thing is there's a second version of this game which is titled just Rad Rodgers, but it's just the same game with a few new stuff, with even more technical issues like performance drops + braindead enemy ai, AND THE SAME ENDING. SO WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS SECOND VERSION??? IT MAKES NO SENSE!! D:

Good news is 3Drealms released a damn good Duke Nukem throwback early access game called Ion Maiden, the prequel to Bombshell which I played and I'm loving it. Can't wait for that game to go full version so everyone can enjoy it! Rather than Rad Rodgers world two.......

3) Superflight

Ahhh this game. Saw Markiplier played this a while back.

It's a freefall skydiving obstacle dodging game. The narrower you fly through, the better your score. It's a fun relaxing game. The only thing that will make this game even better is if you add a shoulder gun and then this game will turn into the best Iron Man esque game, next to Just Cause 3.

Completed: The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit

Play as a 10 year old boy imagining himself as a superhero to uncover a generic story of a mothers death and an abusive alcoholic father. With a few story moments that don't make much sense with some dialogue being a bit contradictory, cliche actions and dialogue, and usual narrative moments that seem more focused on having you understanding why or being partially sympathetic with an abuser instead of focusing more on the harm they do and dealing with that (though it wasn't near as bad as Life Is Strange's abusive father figure who got to be a hero at the end). If more of the story is focused around the abuser and I'm unable to brutally kill them with my telekinetic superpowers, I don't see much of a point. Also don't like kids, even when I was a kid, probably even more so a 10 year old that still writes to Santa.

4) The Return of Obra Dinn

I heard so many good things about this game, so I might as well try it myself to see what the fuss is about. And I find out why after.

This game is made by the same guy who made the surprisingly good game Papers, Please, which was made into a short movie

The Return of Obra Dinn is a completely different beast. While Papers Please is about being an immigration officer, this game is about you being an insurance investigator who is tasked with finding out what happened to a ship that went out on a voyage years ago that returned with no crewman at all. You pretty much have to find out what happened to the 60 people that was on board this ship by going through the entire ship and use a time travel pocket watch to go back to the past and relive specific moments. Which requires you to track dead bodies first to see their last few moments before their deaths.

I love this game's "follow the breadcrumb" storytelling. It makes you discover secrets bit by bit until everything is revealed to you. The first few deaths you investigate are quite simple, but when you get to the 5th death, that's when shit hits the fan and the game opens itself up. To complete this game, you basically have to go through every dead bodies you can find, somehow find out who those dead people are from observations, and find out their cause of death, or in the case of people that are still alive, find out where they go after. You have to use this picture

Image result for return of obra dinn crew picture

When you enter a dead person's last moment, you can zoom in on the characters in that moment and you can determine who they are in the sketch. Each time you correctly figure out the identities of 3 people, the game will let you know through a catchy jingle. See this vid for the instruction on how to play this game

Some identities are definitely harder to spot than the others, espeically the ones that are marked with 3 arrows above their picture which I mostly just brute force until I got it right. But you'll get used to the process of elimination, and you'll figure out 60 people in no time.

You don't actually have to complete the entire deduction to beat the game. You can just leave halfway after you find every dead body. Leaving without deducing everyone's identities and fates will led to the bad ending though, which basically boils down to "you suck so hard at investigating, that the person who gave you this assignment died with regret. The End." XD

But if you do deduce everyone's fate, you're greeted with the final part of the game which answers the remaining question about a couple of people that you can't find before. And then the game ends happily. Nice!

If you love investigation games like Phoenix Wright, Dangan Ronpa, one of the 999 games or the most recent The Painscreek Killings, this is for you. You'll be satisfied each time you solve 3 identites in this game, and the music will never leave you. EVER!

5) Super Seducer

Why....................

Fun fact: I heard so many people bashing this game, while some says that this is the worst game of 2018. But it can't be THAT bad! The Quiet Man, Atlas and Fallout 76 are more fitting ones. This is just a game where some guy tells you how to hit on girls. How can it be awful??

And you know what, this game is actually.............. pretty insightful. It's obvious that the guy who made this game is doing it for fun because he puts in these dumb as hell choices, and then if you actually pick those choices you can see him making a fool of himself. The right choices are actually pretty basic "be nice and don't say anything stupid" ones, but there's also interesting insightful ones that plays on psychology, which is pretty cool.

Except the Strawberry farm experiment....... that one's just dumb. Basically you ask a girl what she would do in a strawberry farm and ask how much strawberry does she want to eat. Then at the end it's all just a sex gauge and more strawberry eaten means more xxx........... WHAT??? I would get KILLED if I actually ask THAT! There's also other..... questionable answers that I think actually are bad... but then he gave a pretty good reason for them so who am I to judge?

You know what's fascinating about this game though? The guy who made this game is actually a legit pro love guru! Hell, he's been doing this since 2009

So he's pretty much Hitch

This is apparently his next project venture aside from giving love advice in real life, which is pretty interesting.

There's actually sequel already in September, and from what I heard, his wife is in that game as well & this time there's a women's perspective included, and also more silly dialogue choices. Good on you man, good on you for making this game, AND having your wife working on it with you. Must be really fun doing this stuff together. :D 

Game: Hitman 2 [2018]

Platform: Xbox One

I've been a fan of the Hitman series since 'Codename 47' on the PC in the early 2000s. I've played them all, following the story and antics of Agent 47 closely. I regard Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money to be three of the best games in the series. 

Hitman 2 is a fun and interesting game, plenty of freedom and opportunities to go about playing your missions. The story throws hints to past games and characters as well which is a nice touch for long-time players. This is my first game of 2019 that I've beat and I hope to showcase more completed games in this thread as the year goes on.

Kaz32 likes this

22 hours ago, RuneX said:

Game: Hitman 2 [2018]

Platform: Xbox One

I've been a fan of the Hitman series since 'Codename 47' on the PC in the early 2000s. I've played them all, following the story and antics of Agent 47 closely. I regard Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money to be three of the best games in the series. 

Hitman 2 is a fun and interesting game, plenty of freedom and opportunities to go about playing your missions. The story throws hints to past games and characters as well which is a nice touch for long-time players. This is my first game of 2019 that I've beat and I hope to showcase more completed games in this thread as the year goes on.

My favorite part in the whole Hitman series is this:

But of 2 specifically, it's when I have to disguise 47 as a real estate agent, and he gives no fuck about it.

6) DMC Devil May Cry

To prepare myself for DMC 5, I might as well finish this game that I haven't finished for so long. I played this game on PS3 before, and now I'm playing the PC version which is FAR better. I don't have a problem with this remake. It's its own thing, Dante's more punk rockish but at least he has a good character development moment with Kat that I like. The combat is slick and smooth, especially because now you have an angelic weapon and a devil weapon to use which makes for cool combo potentials. What a bummer that there's definitely not going to be a sequel for this game, even though it sets it up at the end. But fortunately we got DMC 5 instead, so all good!

Completed: Front Mission 4
Platform: PS2

Focus on a new link system where multiple characters chain attacks together or help to defend. Larger battles with allies. Story is decent, the usual political/revolutions/military affairs of FM setting, not as much time with characters as the story is split between two groups. Always a fan of overthrowing US backed dictatorships, or a game's equivalent. Nice to see unit XP shared based on everyone who had done damaged or healed damaged taken from destroyed enemy units. Sounds good and portraits look nice but the environment are often dull and it would be nice to have more active battles like FM2 (but with acceptable loading times), look of fights are improved with multiple units attacking through the link system though. Weather and day/night cycles as stages go on with different effects. The random ability activation has always been an odd series feature that makes it unlikely that you would want to use certain abilities. No eject/capture in this game, didn't get huge use but it would have been nice to see it kept and used in a more interesting way. Dull combat simulations that take up a lot of your playtime but likely to want to do them for the experience.

Fun, but was kind of hard to go back after Battletech. I'll have to play the fifth game at some point. Only one PS2 game left that I own to beat.

Completed: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Didn't really like the first one when it came out, and didn't enjoy this one either. Enemies tend to be really easy to exploit by getting them to rush you. The controls don't work very well (at least on the One controller), with the look button now working well, lock on not likely to do what you want, and certain character actions like rolling being tied to the same button as attacking downed enemies. Never liked that the primary way you are likely to die being that you can't see what is shooting at you thanks to the limited view.

Game: Metroid: Zero Mission

Platform: GBA

Play Time: 4 h 25 min (in-game)

Now perhaps shockingly, Metroid: Zero Mission was in fact not my entry point into the Metroid franchise - I'd owned Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime: Hunters for a good while prior to getting this one. However, Metroid: Zero Mission did have the honor of being the first Metroid game I've beaten. And oh boy, was it an experience. The music was a definite highlight for me, with the boss battles coming in at a very close second. Of course, the rest of the game was great as well - at least for the most part. The only thing I disliked was the stealth section that kicked off the second "half" of the game.

Rating: 4 / 5

Completed: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

PC version adds more voice lines and improved the graphics. Detailed battle system with a lot of options and characters to use, but easy to understand. Added turbo button can speed up everything, quick travel around towns and schools, good detailed maps make navigation easy. I assume turbo must speed up the in game clock as well both when moving and when skipping animations because I beat the game in about 58 hours, my Steam profile says I've had it on for 62 (just leaving it on while not playing), and the in game save files says I was playing for 83 hours. Cast of characters is likable, mostly cliche at first but better over time with a good supporting cast. Story is a bit slow being the first in a tetralogy and even adds an entirely different kind of battle system and type of playable unit during the very last fight. Hidden quests and items that you basically need a guide for.

Poor battle initiation system where you attack enemies from behind or run into them from the back for bonuses in the fight, pretty much every enemy is alerted to you and runs at you immediately, making the strategy to run away until it gets to its set distance then attack it in the back when it turns while also using your characters with ranged attacks on the exploration field. Not really a problem but poorly thought out and that would have been a lot of wasted time without the turbo option in this version.

7) Kathy Rain

This is a pretty cool point and click adventure game. Old school, but not as frustrating as most Lucasarts point and click games where you pretty much have to trial and error a lot of your path out to get to the next part. Here it's pretty simple to follow the next step of the game & solve puzzles to progress. The story's also pretty good, with Kathy herself being a good character that has a tragic backstory that you get to know in the game. She's also constantly sarcastic with funny lines here and there, my favorite being the part where she has to go in a hospital and have to ask a hobo to distract a grumpy nurse. That whole part is funny. By the end of the game I want to see what's next for this game. No sequel yet, but the dev's next game is going to be Whispers of a Machine.

Can't wait for this!

8) Fractal: Make Blooms Not War

A puzzle game where the objective is to create blooms, by making large hexagons by manipulating little hexagon pieces to form the large you know what just watch this gameplay

The more the combo, the higher the score. And you pretty much have to make as many tiny hexagons explode in few moves. It's pretty satisfying when you have just 1 move left, and then you miraculously create the last explosion necessary to beat the level, which is accompanied by slow motions.

9) Fly in the House

This is pretty much a "break as many stuff as possible" game, but with a "kill the fly" objective. As long as the fly is still alive, you can break as many shit as you want. It's quite a fun game. The story is complete nonsense. Your character basically reminisce about his past, and then a fly comes in, and then you try and kill the fly. Markiplier played this game before

10) 140

A funky platformer/ rhythm game hybrid where obstacles change depending on the rhythm of the background music. Even though the game only has 1 song, it's played in different variations, making it different for each of the 4 stages you play. Hell, the soundtracks on youtube are actually made by a guy that edits the different variations of the stages.

What's cool is the boss battles at the end of the levels, all completely different. The first and fourth boss are like a shooter where you have to aim a triangle to a circle and have it fire during a particular rhythm in the song. The second boss is an "avoid the incoming obstacle" game, and the third boss is a ddr esque thing where you have to position your DDR movement arrow at the right place to shoot at an incoming projectile. The third boss is supposed to be the last boss, the fourth one is just a free add on to the game. 

There's also a harder version of the 4 levels which are the same stages but in reverse, and no checkpoints, so one death and you're back to the start. Fuck that shit!

11) Mountain

Ummmmm......... is this even a game???

All you do is make a song that corresponds to a cheat code to make stuff happen, and that's it. It is a relaxing game, but.... why???