• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2019)

34 posts in this topic

A brief overview of the games I've finished since my last post:

• TACOMA
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Crackdown 3
  • Soul Calibur VI

All games were on my Xbox One. Working on Assassin's Creed: Rogue playthrough.

Game: Skullgirls

Platform: PC

Play Time: 15-ish minutes (Valentine's Story Mode)

I'm not much of a fighting game connoisseur, but I do enjoy some close-quarters fists-and-boots sort of action once in a while. Now I'd had my eyes on Skullgirls for a few years, and I finally got it in a bundle for a measly €3.20 yesterday. The gameplay is fairly standard as far as fighting games go, but the thing about Skullgirls that makes it special is its presentation. The art style is very eye-catching and the animations of the 2D characters are spot-on. Speaking of the characters, their designs are magnificent in every manner, even if some of them are rather grotesque, though in a delightful way. The sound design and voice acting are just as great, and the music ties up the package neatly. All in all, Skullgirls is not only an engaging game but an exemplary display of audiovisual craftsmanship. I can recommend it to fighting game fans without hesitation.

Rating: 5 / 5

Completed: Metro Exodus

Great looking environments with locations that give a good feel for the world, people, and creatures. Well written likable cast of characters that you get to know from seeing them bond at your base, with some possible events altering the moods of characters. World feels alive in way other games apocalyptic games don't with a mix of hope and despair (much less bleak than the previous Metro games). Some nice customization options for weapons and difficulty and some good accessibility options for subtitles and QTEs when grabbed by enemies. I liked that you can get certain enemy groups to surrender if you have knocked out enough of them or that some of the mutants and animals might back off from attacking you if you kill some of their pack or if they are wounded. Some enemies will make use of hiding spots or try to blend in with corpses to surprise you.

Terrible save system, you get one save slot and a checkpoint system with a continue option that only loads the latest before giving you an option to load the other, so if anything goes wrong with a save or the game crashes while saving you're probably out of luck (it does offer a chapter select option on the main menu if you wanted to replay things though). Metro's systems aren't at their best in the more open environments, you will be sneaking by people, animals, and mutated creatures looking right at you in the day and most of the open area is really just a few more important places and some areas to just pick up some extra gear or supplies. Though really only two of the areas are more open, with the starting area, a later area, and the two ending areas being closer to the previous games. The moral system Metro has always used makes this game much easier to get the good ending but it really limits your options to almost never fighting to kill or shooting guns at people, which can make the weapon upgrades and scavenging for crafting materials not that important. A few bugs with the animations not working right, getting stuck on things, or bullets/knives going through enemies when they are doing certain animations. Loses a bit of what made Metro stand out with you being away from the Metro, the factions of the Metro, and a lot of the more mystical or horror focused elements until the very last section.

Completed: OneShot

A puzzle game that makes use of documents, applications, and other windows on your computer to solve puzzles. You are initially introduced to a "real" cat like child as a god that has to help them put a light-bulb representing the world's sun in place to help revive a dying world while trying to send the child home. A second playthrough can change the story and introduce new characters to give you both the real story of the world.

27) Apex Legends

It's the game everyone is playing now. And by God, it's awesome, and it would be MORE awesome if it doesn't lag all the damn time! In my 10 matches, I had 7 where I was exploring, and then all of a sudden a lag spike happens & I'm stuck standing still, and a couple of moments later, I'm dead from shotgun fire. URRGHHH

You know the deal with battle royale games: drop in, get loot, try not to get killed & support each of your teammates. The difference is you can pick characters with their own abilities, and whoever you pick are all good as long as you know how to use their abilities effectively. I freaking love the ping system. It makes coordinating so much easier. Also really like how you can revive a dead teammate by grabbing their beacon & going to a revive spot. These are game-changing things that I want in other battle royale games from now on. Surprisingly enough, sniper rifles in this game suck balls since it has bullet delays, and every time you try to shoot someone in a distance and they're moving a lot, you will miss that shot 1 time out of 10. Shotguns & assault rifles are the best weapons, especially the Peacekeeper with a mod that reduces the bullet spread when you iron sight. Fully charge it up & bye2 face. It's a great thing that I see gaming tips online on how to play this game because initially, I don't know which weapon is the best. I recommend watching these vids before going to combat.

It's unfortunate that this game doesn't have a solo mode, which is what I usually play, and instead, you have to play with 2 other team members. If you got shit teammates that don't know what they're doing, you're boned. If you got great teammates, then it's a really fun time of cat and mouse with the other players. My victory recently was with great teammates & we support each other well. I spot enemies with Bloodhound, the other guys are Caustic and Lifeline. We revive each other & hide to heal ourselves when we're in a rough gunfight with a bunch of other teams, basically making them kill each other. It all paid off as we're the only team left vs 1 guy that decides to hide in 1 obvious spot, so we poison + flare grenade his hiding spot and he can't do anything but die. SWEET SWEET VICTORY!!!

Completed: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

Makes the good decision to not directly continue from the other games/anime, which would have likely made them much more convoluted as well likely undoing any kind of ending offered by the other games/anime. Has the amusing moments and some good character and trial twists the series is known for. With a theme focused on the real antagonists being the world/players wanting to feel the hope theme of past games through watching character struggles and perseverance through death and pain, and likely the developers wanting to do something new after constant requests for more sequels. If they never make another Danganronpa game, this was the best way to end it.

More characters that are just dull or unlikable compared to past games, with me being happy to see about five of them in a row die, mechanically nothing has improved investigation or character interaction wise and every new type of trial segment is awful, either just being awkward, long and boring, or so easy it requires no real thought. The new feature of being able to turn clues into lies works thematically but is almost never used and when it is you are pretty much directly told to do it, stopping it from really adding anything to all but the final trial proceeding.

28) DMC 5

I finished this game twice on PC. Now I'm playing the game on PS4 after I got the free copy from a contest I won. THIS GAME IS FUCKING AMAZING!

29) Loading Screen Simulator

Even a loading screen has a simulator. Thankfully it's free!

30) When the Darkness comes

It's one of those free experimental walking simulator game. This time it emulates what it feels to be depressed. I don't get affected by this game since I live my life to the fullest and experience everything that I can without regrets, so phew! Good thing it ends well since I choose the good option instead of the messed up ones.

31) Dead or Alive 6

Platform: PS4

Got this game for free after winning a challenge in my local video game bar. I won 3 sets of DOA6 matches, so I got this game + Atelier Lydie + $25 voucher to get anything in the bar, which I use to buy a PUBG chicken dinner parmigiana. Yum!

DOA6 is pretty much DOA5, but with a super meter that lets you do sidestep attack, super attack or super parry. In other words, still a lot of damn fun. The story mode is, well, typical DOA nonsense with a lot of sporadic 10 seconds long cutscenes everywhere, and then change to a more straightforward plot once Kasumi and Ryu Hayabusa joins in. Team Ninja is pretty much known to not do story well, BUT, as sporadic and messy the story mode in this game is, it's still 100 times more fun and better than that abomination that is Tekken 7's side story mode. At least here, all the plotline ends up making sense and follow a straight path, and it make sure to include every character in the plot. Plus it has a pretty good twist by the end of it. Now I don't know what's next for Team Ninja, but if they make Ninja Gaiden 4, I hope it's a sequel to DOA6 where Ryu go in DOATEC and destroy shit, and you get to finally play as Hayate this time. That'll be really damn cool, but we'll see.

Completed: Devil May Cry 5

The fun over the top moments series is known for (though toned down from 3 and 4). With combat that is at it's best when you aren't always thinking about the easiest or most efficient way to do something but instead embrace the more chaotic nature of the game while trying to do what is the most fun and making the most out of the large number of options. Three playable characters that are all fun and different to play.

The camera can make it hard to see at times but you are given a few options to change how it works, Lady and Trish contribute nothing and are only there to remind you they exist and to be nude at some point. Most of the environments are pretty dull, don't enhance the combat experience or add anything fun to do, and levels might repeat the same environment or very similar ones. Kind of a dull (gameplay wise) and sudden ending.

32) Zombie Kill of the Week: Reborn

This title sounds more like a youtube compilation video than an actual game. XD

It's one of those "kill zombies & survive as long as you can" games. Think old school Zombie mode from World at War but 2D. You kill zombies, buy weapons, move on to the next rooms & kill as many as you can before you go down. Simple stuff.

33) Deadly Moves

Platform: Sega Genesis

Ahhh this game. I played this game when I was a kid, and I don't know HOW I actually beat this game back then. Now playing it back again, I can definitely say one thing:

THIS GAME IS SO BAD. Just look at this!

It's supposed to be a fighting game, but it's so dumb. Imagine Street Fighter, but you don't have low attacks, you use special moves by pressing both A and B while doing a Sonic Boom motion or pressing forward, see that Hadoken stuff? That's the Sonic Boom motion move I just said, movements are as stiff as concrete, and make every enemy AI hyperaggressive so they spam special moves over and over and over again. And the final boss is just a straight up Rugal clone. Back when I was young, I thought he's a cool boss so I play the game again to beat him again. WHY DID I DO THAT?? He sucks ass! What kind of a final boss name is Ranker???

34) Unsung Warriors - Prologue

A short game which is just a taste of what the upcoming game will be like. It's a combat-heavy platformer with various gears for you to equip. You can push enemies into pits, spiked pits, those rock traps that smush you to meat paste, and use magic spells to destroy them. Liking how it plays, can't wait to see what the full game will be like.

Game: Assassin's Creed: Rogue Remastered

Platform: Xbox One

Finally after missing out years ago on playing this game I was able to experience it for the first time and completed it over the weekend. I purchased this game a month or two ago when it was on sale on Xbox during an Ubisoft promotion. I've been on a playthrough since and I'm happy with how everything turned out. I was intrigued by the story of the main character, Shay Cormac, who was originally a member of the Colonial Brotherhood of Assassins turned Templar. Without giving too much away this game serves as a good tie-in between Black Flag and Assassin's Creed III plus it also helps lead into Assassin Creed Unity which I really liked.