• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2019)

60 posts in this topic

Completed: Katana Zero
Platform: PC

2D action game where you can slow down time, deflect bullets, and roll to dodge through attacks and traps while trying to kill all enemies in each area with your sword or thrown weapons. Dialogue choices and occasional actions in a level can change how plot details play out. Gamepaly can change up a bit with stealth or a motorcycle chase. Excellent soundtrack and artstyle for characters, world, and backgrounds. Endgame sword unlocks can change attacks for replays. Too simple in most sections until you start getting near the end of the game, it's fun but most sections just wouldn't be that interesting to replay and are too simple to take much effort even the first time. Not that long of a game and ends on a cliffhanger likely for a sequel or DLC.

70) Rochard

Steam Spring Cleaning does it again.

This game is what happens if Shadow Complex removes its Metroidvania elements, replace the gun with a Half Life gravity gun which can fire bullets and grenades, have it be funnier & you have access to change gravity at will. It's a pretty sweet combination. You basically play as a miner named John Rochard who got screwed by his boss, so now you're kicking his ass. There's a lot of levels to explore each with their own little unique puzzles on how you can use gravity to platform your way across, and each levels also have hidden collectibles for you to hunt. I managed to collect 90% of them with the ones I missed being in the early levels. 

Unfortunately, the game ends on a cliffhanger, and there's no sequel since 2011. URRGHHH, I WANT TO SEE HOW THE STORY CONTINUES DAMN IT!

Completed: The Daedalus Encounter

FMV puzzle game where they had a somewhat interesting idea for your character and hired two people that could act well enough but did nothing else remotely well.

71) Dead Space 2

Since RE2 Remake was damn good, I'm in the mood for RE4 - 6 esque shooter esque games of the past. One of them being Dead Space, 2 specifically because that's my personal favorite. Now that I replayed 2, it has aged really damn well & still really damn fun to play. It doesn't scare me one bit since there's too many obnoxious jump scares, all except that fucking eye needle section that I still am scared to play even now. Shudder. Still, all that matters is that it's still so much fun killing necromorphs by dismembering their limbs by any means necessary, and the natural futuristic HUD in this game is still very refreshing to see, though I do wish that you can skip cutscenes so that I can get through the talking parts that I already listened to before.

72) The Surge

This is that game from the maker of Lords of the Fallen, that game which has a smooth fast paced combat with Dark Souls mechanics. This one still has Dark Souls mechanics, but the combat emphasizes more on aiming enemy limbs so you can perform fatalities on them and get separate gears & materials for each limbs. And it takes place in a futuristic setting where there's a lot of robots & people that went haywire and tries to kill everyone in their sight.

I actually played this game last year, then I got really bored with it because the grinding in this game is so damn obnoxious that I had to kill 30+ enemies just to upgrade my gears, and no matter how much I upgrade, it seems that my character dies so quickly that I question if there's any need to upgrade at all. When I got back to playing this game, turns out there's actually implants that significantly upgrades your max HP, but I found it WAY LATE in the game which suddenly turns the game from way too hard and grindy to actually being a normal Souls esque game...... WHY CAN'T I ACQUIRE THE HEALTH UPGRADE MUCH EARLIER???

This game actually achieves one of the rarest things in gaming nowadays: it has a final level that destroys any good thing it had before. The game starts fun, then it becomes boring, then it becomes fun again towards the end, then the end section has to add a fuckload of mazes for you to navigate through which sucks the fun out of it. The entire games' level design have mazes in the form of maintenance tunnels that sometimes can lead you to a shortcut to your savepoint. It's all well and good, but the final level in this game went WAAAYYY too far with putting so many hard to kill enemies & making navigation a pain in the fucking ass because there's so many freaking maintenance tunnels that looks the same, so much so that I actually went in circles 5 times just trying to figure out a way out to my save point. By the time I beat the final boss, I immediately uninstall the game & don't want to play it anymore. THANK GOD that's over with! Oh please don't let Surge 2 have any more of those annoying mazes to deal with!

73) My Friend Pedro ( flash)

To prepare myself for the upcoming insanity of a game that is My Friend Pedro,

I decided to go back to a previous version of this game, which is a flash game that can be played here.

https://www.crazygames.com/game/my-friend-pedro

It's definitely way simpler than the upcoming game, but it's still fun. You can slow mo & shoot guys with style, though there's no score to rack up & you can't do the stylish stuff that the upcoming game has. The final boss though is quite crazy, that I can't wait to see if the Steam version will have a similar level. Only 1 week to go!

Completed: Total War Three Kingdoms

Beautiful map and the best one I've seen in a Total War game. Massively improved diplomacy, economy, spying options, and supply system that all works perfectly for a Three Kingdoms game. Characters with their own personalities, likes and dislikes, and background uses (though things will start to overlap as you see many characters with similar backgrounds or passive skills from their class tree). Starting factions, resource locations, and gameplay elements unique to each lord can drastically change how you want to build your force/economy. Has more realistic records mode or powered up character romance mode that makes generals similar to heroes in Warhammer. Seasonal changes effect economy, food, and battles.

Not a wide variety of units to use with many going to be locked behind reforms that you won't reach or behind starting lord choices. The one artillery piece seems extremely powerful, even ignoring its uses for siege and settlement battles, I tended to finish fights with each one getting between 3-6 hundred kills, wiping out around 3-5 units alone before even getting into all the unit routing they cause. I never really lost a fight even when outnumbered by quite a bit once I threw two of them into every army I had (I suppose I could have used six), and would assume they would be even more powerful in records mode. Maybe more balanced on a higher difficulty. The actual battles are fun but aren't near as interesting as the Warhammer games, but that is going to be helped quite a bit by being on the second game and with all the added and freely updated content that Warhammer has gotten over the years. You can't really watch the character duels that well in romance mode since you need to command the actual battle going on while characters fight and the game really likes to make your characters lose duels for no reason when you choose auto resolve. Some of the pre and in battle dialogue is terrible and not at all matching with certain characters. Odd to see certain characters not being legendary (though some that should be still start with better equipment or a unique description), maybe more of a balance reason with more likely being added later.

Completed: SILPHEED
Platform: Sega CD

Vertical shooter. Art of the enemy ships and weapon effects doesn't look very impressive with the early polygon graphics the effects going on around you, destruction and laser fire, visuals of your movement making it look like you are getting further away as you near the top of the screen, and impressive level design that can have you flying across enemy ships/bases or making death star style trench runs make up for it. Enemies swarm around you from all sides., effects can hide enemy shots, and you can very suddenly be surprised by large objects or fast moving lasers that you will have almost no time to dodge unless you knew about them beforehand, these things combined with no continues or lives can make the game more of chore to play at times. Good music, dull sound effects. Dull bosses.

Completed: Ranger X
Platform: Genesis/Mega Drive

Looks good for a Genesis game with some nice backgrounds. Charging weapon power by staying in light is interesting. Awkward to control with how you shoot and having another bike with you that can be controlled if you have a six button controller or that you can merge with to swap weapons or make use of auto aiming main weapon. Can't shoot up, leading to awkwardly trying to hover to shoot enemies. Dull weapons. Hit detection is off. Enemies aren't satisfying to shoot and rarely let up. Weird exploitable enemies and bosses. Only five levels with some of them or parts of them severely limiting your already awkward movement.

Completed: Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth
Platform: 3DS

Higher production value, surprised to like the art and love the opening. Good moments between the characters. Elizabeth is always amusing, as are Yukiko and Yusuke together. Battle system is good but not a major step up like the system of P5 was to P4. Removal of extra new character from Q1 to now include P3 female hero and P5 cast gives way to many characters for a five person party set up and later introduction to some characters is unfortunate. Characters are fairly well balanced, with only a few seeming like they just wouldn't be good to use (Yosuke and Junpei). Reserve characters don't level with you so you can't do much switching out even though the extra missions seem to have been thought out as needing certain characters and the game allows for multiple saved party set ups. Some extra attacks or team attacks can trigger with people not in your party but it is a shame you can't use more characters or at least put more in positions to be swapped out or to use supporting abilities. Simpler dungeons, map drawing tool is still fairly pointless, really no reason it can't just fill it in for you. Poor bosses. With the much slower pace of getting through dungeons and frequent switching of persona along with all the side missions that may switch things up objective wise but take you back to the same old areas, the game can start to overstay its welcome. Still easy to recommend for a dungeon crawl and more so for Persona 3-5 fans.

74) My Friend Pedro (full PC version)

At last, after this game's preview at E3 2018, and after playing the flash game, the circle of Pedro is now complete. Even the launch trailer is awesome

As for the game itself, it's like the flash game on steroids with more platforming puzzles that makes you have to shoot switches to open up locked platforms. There's 40 levels in this game and each levels has rankings depending on how long your killing combos are. If you can kill everyone in sight without resetting the kill combo, you'll definitely get S rank easy, though it's impossible in some stages since you have to do platforming puzzles which resets the combo multiplier. Good thing is you can rack up the points if you play the game on the hardest difficulty which reduces your healthbar to just 1 and makes almost every enemy shots very deadly, if you like racking up points that is, otherwise you can just enjoy the game without care which will take around 3 - 4 hours to complete. Shame it's that short and the only replayability is just you trying to S rank every stage, but it's still a lot of fun regardless.

75) BirdGut

This is a free Steam game where you play as a deformed insect that's thrown out of your home, and you're eaten by a bird. So your goal is to get out of that bird while traveling through its intestines. Interestingly this bird's intestine is pretty much a factory for insects, so you'll see each intestines having their own divisions & workers. It's like Bugs Life, only with modern tools!

76) Assault Spy

This is quite an entertaining game. Basically, this game is what happens when you take Dante & turn his sword + Yamato loadout into a single character, and then make his fist gauntlet + Pandora's box + Ebony & Ivory loadout into another character. Then make it all anime as hell. The plot of the game is pretty much this:

You're a spy working to steal info from a robot factory. Then you get inside the robot factory & turns out the factory is taken over. Then plot twists left and right ensues which I can't say because it's quite fun to go through. 

I hope there's a sequel to this game. The combat is quite fun even though it's pretty much and elseworld DMC & I would love to see more characters with their own special move lists added. 

77) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

OHOHOHOHO MAN, the creator of Symphony of the Night has come back to make his own game universe with the same Metroidvania stuff he's known for, and it is beautiful! Freaking Snake is cast as one of the cast which was the main character of the 8 bit throwback game Curse of the Moon? Shovel Knight is also here? There's many unashamedly cheeky Castlevania esque enemies & areas put together? There's THIS?

4348975059B17DE0E26A16364214E3A20D338908

Alucard is also here, right down to having the same voice actor??

AB46262F4F659511BEBEB03F50DA73B50BD43D6D

And there's even giant dogs & cats as enemies??

E0AC2E3F6CA721CE1F6AAE95D46316455B9C4DC2

This game is freaking awesome. My nostalgia sense was tingling every step of the way I play this game from the beginning right down to the very end after I completed 99.80% of the entire map. IGA, well done. You made your kickstarter goal & created the game that everyone requested, and you added so many more awesome stuff in it, including free upcoming dlcs. This game is definitely one of the best of 2019 & I can't wait to play the upcoming dlcs!

Completed: APE OUT

Control an Ape attempting to escape from a variety of settings including a lab, ship, jungle, and office building while smashing enemies against walls or each other. Jazz drumming and expressive colors follow your destruction as you make your way out of each level. Enemies explode in bright blood and body party, fires start from enemy flamethrowers and barrels exploding, the power dies and flashlights and flames help to guide your paths and your enemy's view. It's a loud and intense game separated by four albums that act as 8-10 stages each with their own area focus, each album can be played on a more difficult setting for greater challenge.

Rooms can change with each level reset causing the need for improvisation matching both the state of the ape and style of music, this can cause extremely easy or extremely difficult set ups where you can pretty much easily walk through the level or where you will be suddenly killed if you have the slightest hesitation in performing a nearly perfect improvised plan to get by.

None of the artistic or musical choices are something I could talk about remotely well, but this guy can

Completed: Zanac x Zanac
Platform: Playstation

Solid vertical shoot em up with three different ships to choose and a variety of weapon upgrades, a stronger attack charged by destroying enemies. Released late in the Playstation's life, not the most impressive for its time but good base gameplay, music, and decent backgrounds

78) Bohemian Killing

Now this is an interesting one. Basically you've killed someone, and you have to make an excuse to avoid getting the guilty verdict in court. The reverse Ace Attorney if you will. You're given the version of events that the people in court know, like "at 10:30 am the suspect is sighted in a hotel" or something similar like that. Then what you have to do is pretty much make stuff up to paint yourself as innocently as you can, while being consistent with witnesses testimony so you can make what they saw/ know a complete misunderstanding. 

The interesting thing is that while you're recounting your story, you will come across items like "a letter addressed to a friend of yours", or "letter from a company which supports your work" which will be included in the evidence bag. Instead of the evidence actually working against you and make you even more guilty, they surprisingly help making you look even more innocent in this whole thing. After collecting the evidence and making sure to testify according to the facts, I actually got the innocent verdict regardless of whether I actually killed the victim or deny it because as it turns out, the victim was actually working for someone else that planned to steal your invention blueprint which you plan to give to the government, and the victim attacked you first by smashing your head so badly that you bled, so in the end even if you testify to killing her, it's all in self-defence. Well....... that worked out well! That is of course unless you fucked up and tell complete bullshit that doesn't line up with the facts at all which of course will get you jailed immediately.

The game had a glitch where when I pause the game while I am on an elevator, I fell through the world & had to jump in a specific spot to get back in, and there's also one where if I pause the game when someone is talking, that someone will repeat their sentence from the beginning, but good thing you can skip the dialogue. Quite a fun game with rough edges here and there. Can't wait to see the game dev make another game, whenever that will be.

79) Muse Dash

I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH! HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME!!

This was originally an iPhone game & it's pretty much a rhythm game with only 2 buttons. It's simple but hard to master & the music are fucking incredibly good. So much so that I played many of the songs over and over again until I can't get them out of my head. Then proceed to find if there's a full version of the songs & download them, and thankfully I found them!

I highly recommend this game for lovers of rhythm games. You will play the crap out of this game & hum the tunes all day long! 

Completed: Truxton 2
Platform: Arcade

Vertical shoot em up that loops six very large areas that each include multiple enemies and bosses. Good music. Speed and three types of weapon upgrades and a skull bomb. Has co-op. At an hour in length it can start to overstay its welcome with backgrounds only changing up slightly and when you start fighting the same or similar enemies, the boss designs are good. Losing lives will start you back at an early part of a section (not too far back) so you can't just win by having enough credits.

Completed: Hellfire S - Another Story
Platform: TurboGrafx CD

Horizontal shooter, some animated scenes in the CD version. Main mechanic in this game is being able to switch between four firing modes forward, back, up and down, and diagonally in all four directions. Powerups can make your shots stronger by adding multiple beams to your basic shot and making them wider, pickups can also be found that allow you to take an extra hit. Dying spawns you back where you were. Very easy until enemies start quickly coming from below/above. Good music, bad sound.

Completed: Hypnospace Outlaw

Gives you the role of what is basically a Geocities moderator shortly before the year 2,000 (though with a web device that is used while you are asleep). Often a humorous and satirical game that has you working for the kind of egomaniacal amoral tech bros that people like Steve Jobs popularized in the tech industry and looking at the web pages of many people obsessed with themselves as they bask in the hubs of their obsessions. Puzzle like gameplay first has you finding violations but later involve finding hidden objects, guessing relationships, and using hidden tools to find the content you need to report and later to solve an issue with more deadly implications. The main story and cases are fairly short and the enjoyment of the game and most of the time spent will come from just exploring the pages available to you.

Completed: 198X

Part 1 of a coming of age story focused around a high school student's life and the meaning they find through their interactions with arcade cabinets and culture of the arcade set in the 80s in a fictional suburb outside of a large city. Narrative takes place between playing five different arcade style games (and inside two of them), with four of them being quite good and one mostly just being visually good. Beautiful detailed artwork, good music, more sincere story on meaning games can have for someone disillusioned with their current life. Or the origins of a pretty generic white suburban kid becoming a gaming obsessed psychopath, starting with a need to continually pump quarters into consumer products that overtakes other desires in their life until they begin to lose all grip on reality. Could work both ways as it is.

Not sure if/when the rest releases if it will be as a new game, free update, or paid content.

Completed: Nekketsu Oyako
Platform: Playstation

Beat em up. Plays like a poor Streets of Rage, also looks like too similar to Streets of Rage for a Playstation/Saturn title. Game plays too slowly, a quarter circle attack is overpowered, your movements can feel awkward. You get eaten by a whale at one point and fight octopus like creatures in it and on top of it. Lot of weapon drops but they aren't really fun to use, some are character specific with the bigger guy being the only one who can use a rare bazooka or drink beer but can't use normal. Would be just average if not for what feels like sudden slowdown effecting some of your moves and some enemy attacks.

Completed: Way of the Passive Fist

Beat em up style game where you are unable to do normal attacks and instead have to parry and dodge enemy blows to either tire them out until you can push them over, can grab and throw back enemy throwing weapons, or until you build up a combo allowing you to perform a powerful attack. Allows you to change five different options for custom difficulty. Decent enemy variety with some needing to be defeated in certain ways or more easily beaten in certain ways but the palette swaps to show different attack patterns can make it more difficult to remember what they do. Enemy grabs are a little off hit detection wise. Crowd of enemies on screen can make it hard to see who is doing what, even on the normal enemy number setting, enemies attack you one at a time but might all move together with larger ones mostly concealing the smaller. Most of the levels are fairly dull with you just walking through similar areas until you move into a wave based enemy section. Base gameplay is good but can become simple and repetitive fast, like many beat em ups, but this one lacking the characters, co-op, variety of moves, or more interesting levels of the better beat em ups.

Completed: Detention

Set during the White Terror period of Taiwan focusing on both the damage done to society living under martial law, powerlessness of your character's personal circumstance, and coming to terms with the damage you inflicted on others stemming from the abuses you've suffered. Physical manifestations of horror draw on Taiwanese mythology. An effective artstyle made to represent looking at old photos. Succeeds at telling a story of tragedy and horror both personal and socially.

Completed: Wulverblade

Beat em up focusing on Britannia fighting the Roman 9th Legion, with heavy elements of Scottish mythology. Mostly basic attacks expected for the genre, with a lot of chopped off head and arms to throw and some alternate heavy weapons to find. Camera follows you pretty close compared to many beat em ups and the large character models and environment look good. More story than most games of this type with cutscenes before and after each level, dialogue that changes with your character, and notes/lore to find. Levels can go on too long, dodging doesn't always work well. Base gameplay is fun but fairly generic for a beat em up but with an addition of a block and counter system. Good when selling at a lower price for the base beat em up mechanics but made better with the art, raging Scotsmen, and ability to throw heads at your enemies.

Completed: MORDHAU

Mordhau is a first or third person melee combat game where you can create classes by spending 16 points on head, body, and leg armor, weapons, shields, items, and passive perks. The combat is a lot of fun, if you don't mind frequently being in large melees with little control and overzealous allies that can (and will) damage you, and it offers a good amount of strategy both with class options and the ways that you can attack, feint, and chain blows together. A lot of armor customization options, which do unfortunately almost always hide you facial, body, and hair options. Avoids the ridiculous mess that Chivalry became where the better players would walk around crouching rapidly spinning around to make their attacks land faster. It would take a very long time to build up enough in game gold to unlock everything, but it doesn't take that long to buy every type of equipable weapon or item the game has and you can quickly save of up the pieces of armor that you will actually want to wear.

Has the usual negatives that seems to come with these games of extremely questionable weapon range, often seeing the end of blades miss you when you are hit or connect with your enemy without effecting them, the frequent high ping servers not making things any better. Many times it will feel like you are swinging weapons like you don't have arms but instead just a hand attacked to your chest as you somehow are unable to reach people taking up half your field of vision with a great sword. Couched lances on horseback might just not work at all and when they do work I have no idea how it decides on who wins when two riders meet (more of a problem then you would think since every map has some horses and one of the few maps is very heavily horse based). The lack of report or banning features combined with the kind of men that often have an interest in medieval style warfare (on top of online video games in general) often gives the game a pretty terrible seeming community if you are paying attention to chat, though with the style of the game people do at least seem to be fairly forgiving or willing to apologize for team damage or kills.

Could really use a dedicated duel mode, jousting mode could also be interesting once that is working better.

Bought lots of games from Steam sale, but only had time to play a few since I'm busy traveling with my parents. Now that they returned home, I FINALLY HAVE TIME TO FINISH THEM! AHAHAHAHA!!!

80) The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories

Gaahhh, so annoyed that D4 will never have its season 2..... for now. But at least we got Swery's next game. And surprisingly, it's his most normal and ground to earth game so far, second being Spy Fiction. Finally got to play this game after waiting for the price to go down.

This is...... quite an interesting game. I think it's one of the only few puzzle platformer games I have played where getting yourself heavily injured through cuts & bone dislocation actually is required to get through the next stage. And I like how down to earth this game is. Even though it has Swery's stuff like having another character named FK + WTF moments like the backward speeches & moose head doctor amongst other things, it all ends up making sense in the very end. And I like how after you beat the game, you get alternate costumes after the game's reveal & you can pretty much replay the entire game with all-new lines so it encourages replayability, though that's pretty much it unless you haven't collected all the donuts. I miss games that do these things.

81) Team Fortress 2

Played this game to get the points during that Steam store racing metagame, and then I realized that I actually still have 20000 points from playing other games which I can't use since I didn't buy too much stuff to get more maximum points so......

Regardless, man..... this game takes me back. Nowadays Overwatch does the team based battle WAY better since you got lots of characters that have their own unique things besides weapons that makes them really fun and different to play. TF2 does have them, but it's way more limiting since most characters only have different weapons without skills, though this game was the one that set the standard back then & it's still fun to play after all this time. That is of course if the server you're in doesn't crap out with lags, you're not getting headshot all the freaking time by Mick Mundy or getting Dell's turrets shooting at you over and over again. Yes, that's Sniper & Engineer's real name.

I still watch the youtube shorts when I feel like watching em. Especially this one:

Personally I like these better than Overwatch's shorts. It's a lot funnier & not with superhero cliches. The comics are so freaking hilarious. Can't wait for more!