• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2019)

90 posts in this topic

Completed: Gears 5
Platform: PC

Relic weapons are nice. Jack is a nice tactical feature and playing as it in co-op an interesting change.

Plot focuses even more than the past games on strained character relationships, trying to live a civilian life, mindset of the COG, war crimes, loss, and trauma, at odds with amount of death utter and incompetence from all but the main character and already satirical characters and combat. Poor story, JD has a nonsensical arc. Terrible allied AI. Awful single player encounters that break the AI. Poor Open world elements in more than half the game that takes away from the usual good level design of the series and amounts to little more than wasted time. The PC version typically ran perfectly except in cutscenes where it would freeze, lag, or have the sound cut out, grabbing enemies doesn't seem to work on the PC (or they lied about what button it is), forcing you to hold down the reload button instead of the melee button for chainsaws on the PC (maybe the Xbox too) is a poor change, pretty sure I exploded from nothing quite a few times and once saw a Boomshot grenade curve around the map to kill me.

Completed: The Last Door Season 1

You receive a letter from an old boarding school friend, something terrible has happened involving events you can no longer remember involving opening the veil to a Lovecraftian God. Low resolution pixel art and good music both help to creates an unsettling, foreboding, and mysterious atmosphere that perfectly goes with the tone of the game. Does fall into usual point and click issues of needing to pixel hunt for items and some poor puzzle logic that as is often the case doesn't always fit well.

Completed: Control

Set in a physics defying haunted house heavy with brutalist style and the trappings of a corporate office space where the workers have lost what little semblance of control they once had with great destructive environments clashing alongside the often corporate environment. Ashtray maze is brief but one of the most entertaining and well designed segments I've played in some time. Excellent collectibles, films, and audio logs revealing more setting lore. Setting opens up infinite possibilities for more content or sequels, and with the strong ending of the game and hopefully more experimental nature that DLC can take I'm excited to see what they do. Combat gameplay is, ok, guns are never that interesting with dull upgrades and mods and your telekinesis becomes extremely powerful and as the more interesting thing to look at tends to make the guns much less useful over time.

I found no real use for the ability to convert your enemies and saw no reason to ever use the shield ability. It is disappointing that the most interesting thing you do with your telekinesis outside of combat is to throw large power supply blocks into open block slots on walls in sections that couldn't even be called a puzzle but just odd busywork. Poor bosses that do nothing for the setting, offer nothing interesting combat wise, and a large number of their main gimmick is to spawn generic enemies as they get wounded. Focused on limited TPS gameplay over exploring the unique and interesting setting. The gun is a boring unimaginative gamey waste of the setting that doesn't even feel like it should be there in a game where you could have been binding much more interesting abilities to your character that fit more with the objects of power you tend to interact with, and it isn't designed well in any capacity from how you mod it, unlock other forms, equip those forms, upgrade it, or at times even when it comes to actually using it. As an example of other things that would have fit better than a gun, what if you bound the stop light that you run into on a side mission to you, giving you the power to not only slow or stop enemies and their attacks but also making use of it by effecting the actual environment. Weapon upgrades, creating mods, timed missions, and board objectives all seem like an afterthought. The excellent ashtray maze and endgame sections show how much more interesting a lot of the base game could have been.

101) Greedfall

While everyone was playing Gears 5, I decided to play Blasphemous & this other game that was strangely popular & was proclaimed the next true Bioware game called Greedfall. I on the other hand already know that this game's from the same dev as Bound by Flame, Mars War Logs & Technomancer, 3 games that I quite enjoyed because of their fun combat even though the team based mechanic was rough around the edges. Greedfall is, well, their best game so far. Unlike those 3 games which has a limited map to travel around, this game decides to go MUCH bigger, which I see is kind of like Witcher 2/ Dragons Dogma type of big with great sceneries and cities to walk into. It's unfortunate that even though the cities are big and there's 3 of them, apparently these cities hired the same architect and place similar layouts to all of the buildings with only carpets, wallpapers and furniture to differentiate them. The bars & guardposts all have similar architects too which just takes me out of the immersion, which is a shame because Spider usually have different interiors for their areas in their other games.

Combatwise I think this game still has the good combat the previous games had, though unfortunately it's somehow slower this time because your attack has a 1 second delay after you make a hit, and the combat spells you use this time are just these black vortex spells that slows enemies down instead of flames & electricity, plus attacks with rings you equip. You do get the ability to speed up your attack speed, but the effect for that is too short & it's much better to use other abilities instead. I prefer the combat from Bound By Flame since that one has more variations, but this is still pretty good. 

They do make up for the combat by having much more complex quests to follow through. I like how every quests in this game always have twists and turns so you never know who to root for until the end when everything is laid bare. Companion quests are also complex like usual with this dev, my favorite being the quest with your friend Kurt which have you infiltrating his troops for scandals. The main quest is also quite good with lots of turns along the way. Good job devs for improving bit by bit with each games you made! Can't wait to see their next game!

102) A Plague Tale: Innocence

The sleeper hit I heard much about that came out the same day as Rage 2. I was waiting for this game to drop its price & finally it did recently. This game is pretty much Last of Us + Tomb Raider: medieval edition, with a main character that dies in only 1 hit throughout the entire game, rats instead of the fungus virus & a lot fewer abilities to defend yourself. Initially it's a very stealth heavy game with minimal combat, but as you gain more abilities + companions with their special skills, you slowly turn into Lara Croft, if she has a little brother + friends to accompany her. By the end of the game, shit turns from pretty good to "OMG THIS IS AWESOME", and you'll be leaving the game really satisfied with what just happened & can't wait for the sequel which will most definitely happen. We are in the "Innocence" part of this tale after all.

The one thing that bothers me about this game are the character models. Damn these guys look really stiff AF, though I can't really blame it too much considering the game this dev made were Disney games & a zoo tycoon game in 2018. Now that this game is a big success, I hope for the sequel they can make the character models more emotive & even more awesome, because this game is already awesome enough and it's only part 1 of the journey.

103) Perfect Slices

Platform: iPhone

A pretty fun game where you chop a line of vegetables by holding the touch screen & stopping when you're about to hit a wood/ metal spikes. You get more vegetables to cut when you level up & new knifes, but it's all just cosmetics. Playing this game made me want to chop vegetables & make vegetable soup. Yum.....

104) Hordes of Enemies

Another One Finger Death Punch clone. This time you can pick between 3 settings: a samurai last stand, zombie apocalypse, or the Burly Brawl from Matrix Reloaded. It's all just a survival run & you get special attacks to use if you're feeling too surounded. It's fun.

105) AI: The Somnium Files

Top 10 2019 game for sure. Best part is this game has a lot of dream sequences & there's little hidden secrets in them, so replaying these sections to get every little easter egg is very much encouraged. Just as awesome as the Zero Escape series & I can wait to see what the dev comes up with next time!

Completed: Children of Morta

Children of Morta is hack and slash game with that takes places throughout eight main stages and three smaller story focused areas with the central family of character attempting to fight back the corruption of the land stemming from an angry god. Beautiful artwork that can quickly go from horrific and eerie to warm and inviting. Six characters that are unique to play with runes to be found in dungeons that effect how their attacks perform, further separating them. Outside of story events the house/hub areas has a lot of character building moments from seeing what each member of the family is thinking, seeing them live their lives, and seeing the houses filled with the souvenirs of their adventures. They might gather to eat a meal or play a board game, train together, the largest son carries around the youngest on his shoulders, oldest daughter has her hair brushed by her mom, character will comment on the side events that you can run into in the dungeons, etc. The base gameplay is enjoyable and fast paced with the different characters likely stopping you from replaying similar areas to gather more money and experience. Side events can be found in the randomly generated dungeons that have you meeting new characters, fighting with another family member, collecting scrolls to learn more of the games world, or possibly an events that will gain you future members of the households. While it is primarily going to be a single player game (two player local co-op is available, with no one to try that with I have no idea how that would be balanced) each character eventually unlocks an ability where they can briefly spawn in to help the controlled family member during certain situations (block fatal damage, knock back enemies when surrounded, etc) which was a nice way to feel like they are fighting together.

There is a fairly limited number of enemy types. Each of the eight main areas of the game has four floors to them, three larger sections followed by a boss room. The eight stages are broken up into three different areas of the world with some unique enemies and hazards but some are still reused, some are never present in the earlier stages, and even with all of them their just isn't much variety. Even the powered up enemies you occasionally run into just have the same bonuses of having more health, spawning enemies, or dropping AoE attacks from the sky to stun you. Each character has what will end up being an extremely linear skill tree, by the time I beat the fairly short game I hadn't even gotten any of the six characters to reach their final two abilities by hitting level 20. The game makes for a terrible roguelike even though it in many ways seems to be set up to be one, it prevents you from going any further than three floors and a boss, there is no penalty for death, you will find randomized buffs, runes, and abilities but some of these are so uninteresting or so poor for certain characters that you are able to do little more than hope you get what fits your character and playstyle, and the layout of the floors is randomized but will be populated by the same enemy and hazard types.

While the story and character moments in the game is often on the stronger side, the finale of the game gives you terrible reasoning for your antagonist's actions followed by a poor and very easy boss fight. The endgame is made worse by your character likely just being too powerful for any of the dungeons to really pose any challenge, and seeing as I had only hit level 17 with my strongest characters it could only get easier.

A fun and beautiful looking game while it lasts that ends on a fairly dull note and doesn't have much to get you to come back to it when a lot of similar styled games would give you reason to keep playing. Maybe this will be improved with future updates or if new content is added as the game seems to be selling quite well.

106) I love you Colonel Sanders. This game exists............

It's that KFC dating sim game. Now going into this I thought it would be a fun dating sim with silly stuff & you can date all the quirky characters in the game, but NOPE! There are choices you can make, but you pretty much have to pick the right options because the goal is to make Sanders like you. You can't date anyone other than the colonel himself, which is really freaking dumb since he's so overly anime, while at the same time there's real-life photographs put in when you enter his home. So this is the regular old real life Sanders who become anime for reasons........ Ok it's obvious that it's like that but srlsy??? You expect us to date an old married man as if he's a high school hunk???

I want to date the girls here who had better personalities, but you're not even given the option to. WHAT'S THE POINT OF A DATING SIM IF YOU CAN'T EVEN DATE MORE THAN ONE PERSON??? 

And this game's purpose is to, well you guessed it, promote the hell out of KFC. The setting of this game is a culinary school, but it's heavily biased towards KFC menus. There are students that cooked something else like these 2 rival of yours who cook formal French cuisine with the small plate & pretty decorations, but one of them put poison in their food & the other one just want to let their food be seen instead of eaten. This game is mocking those foods while blatantly telling us "BUY KFC, IT'S THE BEST FOOD!". Shameless I tell ya, SHAMELESS!

The saddest thing is the KFC foods look quite good, and here in Australia the KFC looks so different. I didn't know there's macaroni and cheese KFC! I want to buy KFC now.......

Completed: Bloodstained Ritual of the Night

Bloodstaind easily delivers as a successor to the metroidvania style Castlevania. The game takes many ideas from a variety of Castlevania titles giving a well made game for fans of that series; wide variety of weapons that can make use of special attacks, learning passive or offensive abilities from each enemy in the game, an ability to invert the environment, secret areas and items needed to get the true ending, characters with story nods that can resemble previous Castlevania characters, etc. The weapon, equipment, and magic variety gives you a lot of ways to play the game with gun focused builds that can be backed up by summoned monsters, shield magics to deflect attacks, weapons with techniques that can even offer you early ways to reach secret areas, craftable weapons with special properties often based off other franchises (like an obvious lightsaber style weapon that has a stun effect), and a wide variety of offensive magic abilities. Some items are even included that effect more than just your stats, such as giving you accessories that will cause the camera to remain zoomed in or out. The castle and outdoor environments are well designed with each section having their own feel to them and accompanying music track and giving you multiple paths to let you decide how to explore. There are some fun enemy designs, including things like mimic chairs that you can sit down on that will proceed to throw you into a pit of spikes or ones that are nods to other games like the Shovel Knights you find in the underground sections. The art and backgrounds received a large improvement in the final phase of the game's design, and while the 3D doesn't always look good it does allow for a couple of the more cinematic attacks some of the bosses can make use of.

Too much time is going to be spent farming enemies if you plan to make use of crafting, preparing food recipes (which is also needed for many side quests), or sometimes even just to see what ability you can eventually absorb from your enemies. As is the problem in all the Castlevania games in this style, you are almost always overpowered and typically massively overpowered if you know what you are doing, and it's more difficult to appreciate all the enemy and boss designs when you can kill some of them before they can typically even do anything or without even bothering to move in the case of some of the bosses. Most of the bosses just aren't that interesting to begin with, either having very limited move-sets or fighting in a very slow and predictable style.

Completed: Paratopic

Follows a smuggler, assassin, and photographer using jump cutting techniques similar to the game Viriginia. An unsettling visual style that looks graphically similar to what you might see on the original Playstation with the atmosphere further improved by the music and sound design. The narrative can be difficult to piece together, more so without finding some hidden or choice based interaction and things are left vague enough where you can only make assumptions about a plot involving aliens, hidden facilities,and effected VHS tapes turning people into monsters.

The style certainly isn't going to be for a lot of people but its a short interesting game and I hope the developers are able to return to the setting sometime.

Completed: Neo Cab

You play as one of the last few Uber style taxis operated by a real person in a near future somewhat cyberpunk setting. Very well written stories that play out with the game's passengers focusing on the gig economy, the main corporations increasing control of the city/police/traffic laws, and the dependence on and disillusionment with living in the current state of the city and the role a person has in it. A bracelet shows your emotional state changed by your dialogue options can effect conversations but rarely in a major way, though the bracelet itself and technology like it do play a more important role in the plot.

Money/ratings are almost mechanically pointless outside of showing how meager your earners are and how quickly your job can be damaged by impossible to please customers, which really doesn't narratively come up much with the story being so focused on the corporation and their AI operated vehicles risking putting you out of work.

This game does share some similarities with the other recently released Noir mystery taxi driver game Night Call. Different artistically, noir vs a cyberpunk aesthetic, both focused on the lives of the people you pick up. I wouldn't really recommend one over the other as they both have some great short stories from the passengers. The main difference being that this has a more linear style compared to all the random events of Night Call (still had never even seen some in multiple playthroughs of that game), less overall events, this has more impact with side character coming into play in the main story, and this lacks the very poor and repeated mystery segments of Night Call. This will give you a better main narrative, while Night Call will give you more events often with just as high of quality but you will also have to deal with a lot more randomness possibly preventing you from finishing stories you want to finish in a given playthrough or even from seeing them at all.

107) Shadow Complex Remastered

I'm surprised I haven't finished this remaster of this formerly personal favorite 360 game of mine. I was already 90% finished months ago, but I didn't finish it. Well now it's time! Still fun & better with 60 fps, though it has definitely shown its age with the graphics & not as smooth navigation. Shame there's no sequel yet because Epic's too busy with Infinity Blade + Gears + Fornite + whatever war they're waging against Steam, but I guess it's for the best this way. May not be as good as Symphony of the Night, Hollow Knight, Ori or Bloodstained, buut I still enjoy punching the shit out of enemies and making them fall to their death.

108) Code Vein

It's that Anime Dark Souls everyone was talking about. Surprisingly made by the people behind God Eater, and overall it's pretty good. It's like if Dark Souls saw  vampire related stuff, make it so that friendship is the most important thing for you to have & make it anime as hell with the characters acting like they're in a Tales of game. What's weird is that your main character in the game is definitely capable of speaking because you get to use emotes with the character saying stuff, but in cutscenes your character just nods & never say a thing. But then your character actually says 2 words near the final boss & the very2 end so why this odd design choice?? I know God Eater does the same thing too with the main characters but COME ON, just let them talk when they obviously can!

This game encourages having a second party member to assist you in battle because this game has quite a few companions to bring with you. Aside from explorations & just dying over and over again, the game's way of achieving 100% completion to get the best ending is to you to explore and get what the game call "Vestiges", aka memory shards of each of your companions + npcs + even big bosses. If you collect all of them and beat each bosses, you'll get the best ending which is quite an awesome one I must say, not like Dark Souls and their open ended ending. In fact by the end of the game, if you collect all the Vestiges, you pretty much have the entire plot clear as day. It has a pretty cool twist, but I can't say what it is obvs. I must say though that a sequel is definitely coming so I can't wait!

109) Backbone: Prologue

A taste to come for a detective game where the people are animal people. It's like Zootopia, but even more fucked up. It plays like one of those "go here & tinker with stuff till you proceed" adventure games, but much simpler. All you do is talk to people, proceed to the next part & play a couple of sneaking sections with puzzles to solve here and there. It ends quite interestingly, and I want to know what happens next. Gotta wait till the next chapter when the full game is out in 2020!

110) Indivisible

The game from the same dev as Skullgirls. And man, what a game it is. It's pretty much what happens if one the Metroidvania games marry Valkyrie Profile. You explore like in a Metroidvania with stages that's locked unless you get the right ability, and the combat plays like Valkyrie Profile in that it's a turn based action rpg combat as long as your character has the attack bar filled up. You can level it up after collecting red crystals & upgrade it from an upgrade monk that you put into your head........ because your main character can store people inside her head. It makes perfect sense when you play the game. There's SO many party members to recruit in this game, both main & optional, and they all play their own way, all with their own sidequests for you to complete, though you can't complete their sidequest unless you gain the right ability to proceed to a previously inaccessible path. This is part Metroidvania after all.

The thing that's annoying about this game is the lack of fast travel which makes backtracking quite a pain to do, at least until you almost reach the endgame which unlocks the best moving ability that makes this a breeze. There's so many platforming challenges in this game & a lot of them can be less annoying if you just have a good fast travel spot next to it. Also even though there's markers which let you see a sidequest that can be completed, some sidequests have no marker at all which will confuse the hell out of you when it's in a map that's pretty damn big with a lot of platforming challenges, so my advice is to just go do the story of the game until you get the ability to do propel yourself upwards + being able to dash everywhere you go. Then after you're 90% finished with the collectibles with just a single sidequest for one companion left involving a King of Thieves in a desert, do the story mission until you get the ability to fly. That way you won't have to run like a maniac in that damn desert just to complete that one sidequest. 

Surprisingly even though there's so many characters to recruit, there's actually a lot more that was supposed to be in the game according to the info from Indiegogo. A couple of original characters who I thought will be in the game aren't here, and there were supposed to be guest characters from other series like Shovel Knight, Shantae, Red from Transistor & even the Drifter from Hyper Light Drifter. DLCs incoming, and I am interested to see these guys in action!

PS. I like how this game's setting is basically a mishmash of stuff from southeast Asia, plus point from me for the main character because she is voiced by an Indonesian so she has that accent which I have too. GO INDO!

Completed: Pathologic 2

One of the few survival style games that really forces you into bad positions, that prevents you from doing everything you want, aligning with a game's story where your doctor isn't a savior or representative of a power fantasy but just another player in a town's story. Excellent atmosphere and aesthetic choices with conversation screens, the opening of the game and moments throughout presents the story as a play with the dialogue screen seeming to put the stage light and focus solely on the character you are speaking to. Well written dialogue and translation with an interesting story for the Haruspex character coming home after six years and his struggle between his roots with the native people and recent past pushing him away from those beliefs and discovering his murdered father's role in the town and if and how to succeed him. Makes failure, struggle, and choice meaningful. You won't be able to do everything each day and certain events can be important to the game's completion, only there to give you more details on the town and characters, they might get you useful supplies and items, they might be little more than an interesting distraction, and some side actives might even be harmful to the town or certain characters if completed.

Combat and stealth is poor, but easily exploitable, which makes it more bearable but also a bit ridiculous that some doctor can fight off multiple people often easily. Also a bit unusual that everyone knows it was you if you kill, autopsy, or loot people but that they like you more if you kill surrendering people as long as they attacked first. It can be hard to get into, but the addition of difficulty sliders that cover a lot of different areas can be used while you learn the game, to make aspects you don't enjoy or that the game doesn't handle well more enjoyable, or you could use it to make certain aspects even more difficult than in the base game. The limited amount of time, resources, and stamina you have can make certain aspects much more annoying than they would otherwise be, things like having to take long detours to reach areas in town because you can't just walk on or jump over small fences, rocks, or knee high boxes. With only one of the three playable characters available at this point (or possibly ever) you don't get the full story of the town and some of the supporting cast barely has a role at all in the Haruspex's story.

Completed: John Wick Hex

Enjoyable and fitting base mechanics. Dull story but good dialogue and well acted by some of the actors from the films.

Needs more combat options, early cutscene shows you doing things it would be really nice to do like grabbing a guy with a gun and using his gun to shoot someone else and throwing a guy into another. A mode that makes you act in five seconds is pointless, as there is no reason to take that long and the delay would likely come from menu navigation, finding the write place to click to move, or adjusting the camera. Pistols, the carbine, and the bullpup shotgun are the only good weapons. For some reason you awkwardly continue to fire any machine gun long after a target has died (you stop shooting with other guns) which make the guns more of a hazard to use than anything else, revolvers and regular shotguns take too long to aim. Odd level design choice where enemies keep coming out of spawn point doors or behind you from areas that you have cleared, turning what should be a faster more exciting game where you quickly get through areas engaging multiple enemies into a dull slow paced affair where you keep clearing the enemies behind you or the solo opponents stumbling out of doors. Replays are nice but the camera and hex movement grid make replays look awkward. Too few animations and too many that look unfluid and glitchy. The walk speed and hex movement everyone is in always looks weird. The game is buggy, at one point just showing an end mission cutscene as a black screen and the menu and moving options froze up multiple times forcing me to restart levels that I had almost finished. Too much of a puzzle game where you are just exploiting enemy movement patterns rather than a John Wick game.

111) Yakuza 0

Played this game again on PC because why not?? And because I will skip the Yakuza 7 game until it's released in english, so this is a good compromise. Good thing this game can be modded, so I install the mod which brings back the original Japanese intro song for the game to hype things up. Played Pocket Racing till the end again, beat the crap out of Mr Shakedowns & unlocked the original fighting styles for Kiryu and Majima as soon as those modes are unlocked. Not fighting Amons again cause I already did that on PS4. Now that I played this game again, I can definitely say that this is pretty much one of the absolute best game in the series. It holds up really damn well compared to 1 - 4 which aged quite a lot, not helped in 3 - 4's case by their pretentious as hell stories that just get sillier each time I see it. Hope that Yakuza 7's story will be awesome & the rpg mechanic be well done.

112) Goetia

This game is just annoying to play. It's a point and click puzzle game where you are a ghost and your goal is to solve puzzles & unlock the next part of a house so you can get items that belongs to dead people which must be put on a pedestal. The puzzles ranges from simple to straight up cryptic as fuck, especially this one puzzle which involve listening to 3 stuffed heads mentioning a riddle, but in the end the riddle means fuck all because you can just solve the puzzle by brute forcingly putting a piece of paper into a scrapped paper until you get the solution. Then there's another one in a forest with symbols that you have to put on a typewriter. F this puzzle. And the ending of the game is bad too. You have 2 endings, one if you didn't collect all the items for the pedestal, and the other if you collect all of them. Both are equally depressing and makes everything you did before completely meaningless. F THIS GAME!

Completed: Outer Wilds

Outer Wilds takes some inspiration from Majora's Mask, the world changes as time goes on and eventually leads to an event that will reset everything. Your goal is to take the 20 minutes you have in each run to explore space and planets to discover the history behind an old race, find the other travelers from your planet, and discover why the universe keeps ending. Inventive worlds and sights hiding a good mystery. Planets hold hidden facilities of past civilizations, ruins are covered or become discover-able as two nearby satellites drop huge amounts of sand through the space between them filling or emptying their terrain, a black hole sits at the center of a moon slowly being destroyed by asteroids and falling in it will take you to the other side of the solar system where absorbed rubble and a small space station await you. Outer Wilds is one of the best adventure games available. One that is not at all for me as I really didn't enjoy it most of the time.

113) I Peel Good

Ever want to play a game where you peel fruits & vegetables because you don't want to do it IRL since it makes your hands wet & smelly & sticky? Now you can with this game! Which for some reason also includes ice cream, snack bar, and a durian. Yes, it has THIS

Image result for durian

Logic is obviously out of the window here. You can't peel this shit with a skin peeler!

It's actually just as much fun as you thought it will be, and it's a good zen game to play. Unfortunately you can't eat the fruits, which is a shame because they look really good after you peel them........ yummy

114) We Happy Few

After I played this game when it was early access & haven't touched it since, I finally get back to finishing it. Thank God for that because this game is WAAYYY too long, and not in a good way. It plays like if Dying Light has a food mechanic, no firearms, strip down the parkour so you can only do minimal platforming climbing, have it take place in a city where everyone is drugged on antidepressant pills, and have the game be stretched out so much that by the end you just want the game to end already. The game has 3 characters to play as which is quite ambitious, but it's not fun at all to do when the majority of the game is spent doing identical things to each other: sneak past enemies, beat them up, get food + drink to fill your hunger & thirst meter up, and go backtracking a lot just to complete your quests. Initially it's fun, but by the 50th time you pretty much just want the game to get over it already. And it just keeps going, and going, and going. I really thought that after 20 hours of playing and finishing Arthur's story I was done, BUT NOPE, you got 2 other characters to play as. Worst part is when you transition to a new character, ALL YOUR ITEMS & SKILLS YOU ACCUMULATED ARE RESET. So you have no choice but to complete quests to level the character over and over again! Thankfully the 2 characters after the first get more skillpoints for completing quests so you can get the best ability really quick, and the 3 have different playstyles with different skill trees, but oh man, it's very annoying to deal with.

Now the stories of the 3 characters are definitely the reason to play through to the end because they all have intriguing backstories & their plot are resolved in a satisfying way, but all their story could just be resolved if you pretty much just have your first main character Arthur help the other 2 with their stories. There should be a branching path which will let you choose which one of the 2 characters you want to help. What boggles my mind about the game is there is an option to get a different ending, but that's only at the very2 end of the game where you complete all 3 stories, and all it was is a scene of whether you take a pill or not. Why??? Why the sudden choice after slogging through 20 - 29 + hours of grindy bullshit?? I thought for sure that the game will end with Arthur & Sally getting out together and overcoming their troubles as a couple because that's what the game was heading for, but they ended up getting out on their separate way because Arthur is a complete moron who can't let go of what happened to Sally in the past and so just leaves without her, made even worse because when you play as Sally, he came off as even more selfish and leaves her to fend for herself. It just makes Arthur look like a piece of shit, even though the moral of this game by the end is to let the past go & move on to a brighter tomorrow. WHY?? Just have these two be together!

115) Sword with Sauce

Just a simple "kill every enemy you see" game since it's pretty much a game with the goal of eliminating everyone in different maps. Think Super Hot, but you can't slow down time, your weapon can be reloaded + it has iron sight, everyone's black instead of red, there's a bit of a stealth if you decide to do it like a ninja, and you can use Captain America's shield to kill people. I don't think that's what the shield is intended for but meh. 

116) Disco Elysium

Why does this game have to end on a sequel bait?? I want to see MORE!!

Completed: Disco Elysium

I awake in a near dreamlike state with a voice warning me of the condition I have left my body in, ignoring the warnings and sudden intense pain I awake to a terrible hangover with no memory of the past night or of any aspect of my life. Once I slowly drag myself to the bathroom mirror and attempting to wipe the grime away I am warned by my Inland Empire skill that I won't like what looks back at me. "It can't be that bad," I think as I wipe the mirror, only to come face to face with the swollen and ballooned face of a late stage alcoholic that I have no memory of, staring back at me with a ridiculous grin. I fail my Encyclopedia check to try to remember what events in my life would cause me to want to have my face frozen in such a ridiculous way, then fail to try to stop it from happening. After collecting my scattered clothes and leaving my room, with the help of my Perception informing me of the sound of the key jingling in my pocket, a woman tells me that I'm a police officer that was supposed to be investigating a recent murder and describes the events she heard from my room last night that lead to my sorry state.

Downstairs I meet my new partner, telling him that it isn't time for name's yet when I realize I can't even remember mine but that trying to remember causes me to consider the colors gold and orange. We go on to question the manager, the conversation leads me to declare my feminist agenda, the one that I suddenly remembered, after becoming upset at his attempt to ask out one of employees and seeing it as a misuse of his power. This gives me a new idea that I choose to consider for the next few hours, my desire to undermine the tyrannical gender roles of society gives me a better understanding of the existing power structures of the society that I am still trying to fully remember. The manager is unimpressed and demands payment for my room stay, as well as payment for the window I smashed when I threw one of my shoes through it. A voice speaks up, a voice coming from the ugly tie around my neck, a voice that is both making a lot of sense at the moment and one I am willing to listen to, it tells me to sneak away to avoid paying my bill. Unfortunately, my gaudy shoes and pants have caused me to stand out a bit to much and I fail to make a clean escape. Realizing I have no chance of sneaking away I begin a mad dash, followed by a dive through the air while flipping the manager off with both hands. The voices in my head tell me to just savor the moment before the crash and enjoy that I showed the manger who was boss. Just look at the shock on his face, no idea how to react to my rejection of his authority. These thoughts come to me right before I crash into a woman in wheelchair. The resulting injury leads to a sudden pain in my left arm, followed by my chest, followed by all enveloping blackness as death takes me. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to my tie, maybe I should have taken better care of my body in my past life. The paper reports on a cop that suffered a fatal heart attack, I'm described as having been a heavy drinker that suffered from a broken heart long before a heart attack.

Existential, depressing, hilarious, political, cynical, hopeful, bleak, ugly, and beautiful. Disco Elysium does things that have been missing from the majority of RPGs. Set in a realistic setting that combines elements of different time periods and places to create a fairly grounded cast of characters and a story focused on the human condition and politics of the setting that mirrors real world elements, without a focus on being a chosen hero, forces of darkness, evil monster races, and what little combat there is governed through your skill checks. You are staying in a now destroyed room in the city of Revachol, a broken down city that experienced both a plague and a communist revolution before it was put down and colonized by the rest of the world, you have drank so much and taken so many drugs that you have effectively destroyed your personality and have no recollection of your past, you are told you are a cop and that there has been a body hanging outside for the last week likely connected to the current labor strike.

You are given four stats intellect, psyche, physique, and motorics which each governing six sub skills ranging from your ability to identify with the people you meet and their feelings, your reaction speed for physical reactions as well as witty comebacks, your attunement with the city around you, your ability to picture a crime scene, your ability to have informed hunches and gut feelings, etc. Every skill you have talks to you when you are dealing with people or noticing things in the environment, they can help you make informed decisions, clue you into hidden details, or cause you to make poor and ridiculous decisions. Your Physical Instrument skill might give you impressive muscles and the ability to use them but it also demands that you showcase your masculinity and to let nothing threaten it, Inland Empire might help you correctly see what isn't visable to the naked eye but as shown above it can be less than helpful when your clothing starts offering strange advice to you. Saying certain things or finding out information about people can lead you to having new thoughts, choosing to focus on a thought will give you temporary bonuses and/or penalties and when you have mulled it over long enough the thought will be locked into place with a new description and bonuses and/or penalties fitting your new understanding of the idea and what concepts you want to be important to your character as you rebuild his forgotten personality.

In most games you are rewarded for playing a certain way or for playing in completely different ways as the situation calls for it, giving your character no real personality as you game the system. Disco Elyrium's frequently lore expanding or amusing skill anecdotes, the different options playing your character in a different way, and probably most importantly, your skills giving you an actual reason to want or understand the desire to do something you normally wouldn't do because your own character is telling you what they are thinking or feeling makes you want to play the game again as a character with an entirely different stat and skill focus. It is one of the rare games that can make your failure as interesting as your success. Some of the most amusing moments come from failure, some failure just leads to new logical paths to your goal, some failures might change a goal, seemingly minor choices or clothing items might lead to unexpected tasks or responses. Failing to find the cause of death during an autopsy can lead to a side activity to find a freezer big enough to store the body, succeeding in a Suggestion role might give you a task but play into the hands of the person that was hoping you would come up with such a suggestion, failing a Conceptualization role might lead someone to lend you her art supplies out of pity while succeeding causes her to think that you don't have the talent to create your masterpiece and that if you did you would be competition for her, failing to make a cool catch with your Hand Eye Coordination skill might lead to a loss of health buy an apology in the form of pity money. Unlike almost any other RPG, be it just because of how much combat there is or because some skills just have little or no real use, in Disco Elysium there is no right or wrong way to build your character because there is no push to succeed at everything, to do everything, to fix everything, or to help and save everyone.

Disco Elyrium is a game that made finding my lost shoe a meaningful character moment. Multiple events make up some of the most memorable moments I've seen in a game. Your success or failure at singing karaoke leading to two entirely different styles of performance, a success gives you some applause and the satisfaction of the telling the manager that you knew you had it in you, a failure leads to a depressed wailing cover of the song drawing nothing but laughter and boos from the crowd, except for your partner who could genuinely understand the pain in your voice. One of the only instances of combat in the game having no positive outcome with a large amount of the text focusing on the fear you and your partner fear towards being in a gunfight and the possibility of losing your new and possibly only friend. Helping to start a dance club and becoming completely lost in the moment while dancing brought on a vision where I spoke with the city itself. A dream of a lost love discusses the challenge of living with a man who sees the world in the way you know that your character does, arguing with himself and seeing a list of A, B, C, D questions that he wants to ask people at all times, a dream where a success at a skill check won't give you what you want but only inform you more clearly about what you no longer have.

It can often end up being one the darker games I've played, as well as one of the funniest, partly because it seems to understands that finding humor in the terrible situations that we find ourselves in or about the state of the world in general is how many people are able to survive. You are forced into choosing political stances as they are a major part of what people talk about, how you naturally react to them or things you see, and the game can't very well mock you for your mewling centrism if you weren't constantly choosing to refuse to endorse solutions or to take a stand on anything. No matter what you choose your positions will be questioned or outright mocked as absurdity or cowardice. How do you defend liberal capitalism and your foreign occupiers who put the city in the poor position it is in while getting rich off of its people hoping magical tech investors and the rich will generously create jobs for the people, how many lives would have been worth the victory of the communities and if they had won would you have just ended up with more corrupt unions like the one that seems to be protecting your main suspect, will you promote nationalistic ideas and fascism/patriotism/nationalism where your brethren are old miserable men rarely trusted by their peers or each other all longing for the good old days before radio signals corrupted the youths mind and destabilized traditional gender roles, or do you take the path of the centrist/moralist never standing up for anything and hoping things will slowly work themselves out?

The ruined city of Revachol is stitched together with tech, cultures, ideologies, and aesthetic choices taken from a variety of different times but often feels more real than areas in games directly created from real world places. A setting that can feel and become more magical than a typical fantasy setting as you attempt to explain how a glitch of an old recording playing long after its time seemed to be talking directly to you or as you consider the history of the city's landmarks and of the pronounced bullet holes and shelling damage still covering many of the buildings and walls, dried blood and bullet holes remain but no trace of who lined who up against the wall, residents that watch you out of closed windows in buildings covered by weather worn peeling signs with slogans promising a better tomorrow. Characters often feel real, most of all your assigned partner, Kim Kitsuragi, who has almost as much to add to the situations you find yourselves in as you will. In place of the party of NPCs following you around you have your own skills talking to you and giving you visions into the lives of others, instead of learning about the past of your party members you learn about your own through your conversations with yourself. The voice acting is typically well done and the music and unique oil painting style of art helps bring the city to life, successfully capturing the world and characters in either vibrant detail or by having a more grimy look fitting of your mental state, the city's history, present, and seeming lack of a future. A police game where finding a body won't lead to any autopsy or fight with the responsible criminals but instead just ends with you and your partner trying to find the right words to inform the deceased's wife and the question of what happens to her and her kids now.

One of the few complains I can make that has a larger effect on the game is that your skills talking to you is based on events or the successful hidden roles relevant ones make causing them to chime in, but there is no difference in which is more meaningful to you based on how high or low each skill is. None are louder or pushing away the other thoughts, though they might naturally argue or point things out about one another, but having a high ranking in something doesn't mean that it will take control of you. It is also extremely difficult to actually run out of health or morale and almost any health loss tends to come from kicking random objects or failing to kick them well enough. I don't know if its because I didn't raise some of them high enough to get additional options or many passives but Endurance, Pain Threshold, Electrochemistry, Hand Eye Coordination, and Savoir Faire seemed to have much less use than the other skills. Even with those not doing much (or at least not seeming to in my playthrough) you still end up with a game that makes better use of a large number of skills than almost any other.

This is not only my game of the decade but is easily one of my favorite games ever.

On 30/10/2019 at 5:19 PM, Legolas_Katarn said:

On 30/10/2019 at 5:19 PM, Legolas_Katarn said:

This is not only my game of the decade but is easily one of my favorite games ever.

At least until the sequels comes out, and then this will get replaced. This game has SO MUCH MORE to offer based on the lore & I can't wait to see what's next.

117) The Outer Worlds

It's still surprising that this game have multiple planets to visit, but it took me 21+ hours to complete almost everything while I spent 100+ hours in Fallout 4. Still, good start from Obsidian & can't wait to see what's next.

118) Death's Gambit

Before Blasphemous, this was another game that I am intrigued with, though this game has more Dark Souls compared to Blasphemous. A 2D hard as balls hack and slash game that requires good defence & parrying to pass through every obstacle in your path, though the parrying here is quite off since you can't parry an enemy attack just as they hit you, but instead you have to parry 1 second sooner before the attack hits you. It gets annoying when enemy attacks are slow so you got to be extra careful when fighting them.

The coolest part of this game are the boss battles. All challenging & they all have their own rules, especially this one freaky boss named Thalamus that just throws everything out of the window & go balls to the wall crazy. The music during them are also really sweet & gets you pumped.

This game has new game + & an extension to the ending, but to do this you need to activate PERMADEATH mode & don't die from beginning to the end. Considering that this game can be rather unforgiving & you will die many times either from fighting enemies or the many bottomless pits you will fall to, I say F THAT!

119) Guitar Hero Aerosmith

I saw one of my FGC buddies playing Guitar Hero Smash Hits on his stream, so I ended up wanting to play Guitar Hero Aerosmith since I felt nostalgic from that game the most. What can I say? It's Guitar Hero, with Aerosmith, and it has so many damn good songs to play which I still listen to this day. Especially these classics

Played on my PS3 controller because using the keyboard is HORRIBLE.

120) MO: Astray

Did not expect this game to be really damn awesome. Definitely more than meets the eye & personally this game beats the crap out of Super Meat Boy for challenging 2D platformers. Cause this game doesn't torture you from frustrating level designs & it actually has lots of stuff to keep you interested in playing till the very end. Get this game. It deserves the love. 

These next 2 games....... URRGHH

121) Blast-off

This game is one of those space ship kind of games where you can't move your ship like normal, but instead, you have to push yourself into a direction so that it slowly moves there unless you have a lot of momentum. Simply put: it's like Asteroids

But you have full control of where you want to move without it requiring you to move forward all the time in a direction. Your goal is to get as many high scores as possible by thrusting yourself up into an infinite KM that you can get through. You do have a laser weapon to defend yourself against enemy space metal balls. There is one big problem with this game: ENEMIES FLY ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE.

There is a challenge mission in this game where you fight against a boss or dodge lasers in the time limit given. The laser dodging is fine, but the boss battle? FUCK THAT SHIT. Not only do you have to keep your speed up all the time by shooting enemies right when you're face to face with them, but you have to dodge attacks by the boss, all the while having these balls attack you constantly. And you only have 1 life in this whole thing. By the time I beat the damn thing, I was so angry that I uninstall the damn game. That is the last time I will deal with robot balls.

122) ReCore: Definitive Edition

Until this game shows up & I have to deal with even MORE metal balls. 

This was that game from Keiji Inafune with the girl on a desert with her robot dog as shown on E3 2015 

Now we know Inafune as that fraud who made Mighty Number 9. Luckily this game is actually pretty decent, for the first few hours. It's an open world game where you travel through this desert planet fighting hostile robots with the help of 3 robot buddies, each with their own attacks. What's cool is that you can switch their bodies so that they all create different attack types. The first few hours of the game is pretty good with many platforming challenges & hidden secrets to uncover. But then something terribly wrong happened which makes me slowly get pissed at this game: these assholes showed up.

Image result for recore alarum

Oh. My. God. These guys are HORRIBLE! They fly all over the place while spawning minions at you, if it turns red it will unleash a flame attack that can take you 1/2 of your health, and 2 of these enemies I encountered are bugged, so they all just fly off into a wall & I have to replay 4 times until they finally stay put in an area.

Oh not only that, but after you fight this guy & you collected the 30 crystal ball collectibles you require to get to the final level, the game becomes unfairly hard. The final level consists of 5 floors, each with platforming challenges & at least 2 fighting arenas to do. Most of the fighting arenas puts in so many enemies at you, including the Alarum bastards, and all of them will bum rush you to no end. I died so many times because these assholes just spam attacks that takes out 1/3 of your health, and some of these arenas have poison gas that reduces your health slowly unless you do a finishing move to an enemy, which is easier said than done when all of them bum rush you at the same time! 

And to top it all off, the game ends on such a blatant sequel bait, and it's completely unsatisfying considering all the crap I had to deal with. We probably won't get ReCore 2, and that's for the best. But at least this game's not as shit as Mighty Number 9. 🤷‍♂️

Completed: The Outer Worlds

The Outer World's plot, setting, and themes are all focused around corporate power, rampant capitalism, and labor issues but it avoids any subjects related to race, gender, or media control, and most of the game's people are so far gone into the mentality it's just not that interesting. Many of the people you run into are essentially at the levels of Elon Musk fanboy, praising an idiot man-child who made his fortune off of apartheid because he's rich and runs a corporation so he's awesome and them wishing they were that awesome. When they've reached that point there's really little to do other than humanely putting them down, you won't be leading any workers revolts as most people wouldn't even understand the concept, so satisfied at being bootlickers or cartoonish weirdos. The people that go about life differently tend to be murderers or people following some ridiculous life philosophy/cult/religion. Basically it's no Arcanum Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura or Disco Elysium when it comes to covering labor issues and their effects on both the game's world and the real world, and it's kind of hard to be invested in the locations you visit or the multitude of fetch quests you will do when you mostly just want to kill almost everyone you meet. The game's primary focus is on sudden humorous dialogue and ridiculous characters you can meet. There are certainly moments that can bring about a faint smile or chuckle but most tends to follow obvious controlling corporate attitudes, self deprecating humor, or lines similar to things you have heard in past games including the companion interjection of, "That's what she said," rarely being completely unentertaining but never quite capable of taking any situation to a laugh out loud funny or memorable moment. You special because the game says you are special, you will change the life of every important person you meet with a few lines of dialogue, change the direction of every place you interact with, and radically change the fate of the entire sector all in the most narratively and thematically uninteresting ways imaginable.

Part of my interest in getting the game came from seeing the reactions of one of the earliest choices where, in attempting to power your new ship, you have to decide to take power from a brainwashed corporate town in the middle of dying from a plague, from the towns deserters trying to build something new away from the influence of The Board, or from the deserters town after convincing them to rejoin the settlement. I was expecting it to have something interesting to say or to run into some interesting characters in the town, a situation I didn't expect, or the game to have some competent argument against making the obvious choice, but it doesn't. The choice is about as simple as it can be and now that the game is over, the only thing I found interesting was learning how quickly one can lose their sense of class consciousness when a virtual companion is mildly sad about something. After that situation we run into little else in the way of meaningful choices outside of picking between groups of weirdos or siding with or against our destructive overlords. It can be more morally compelling at times than Fallout 3's famous moral question of, "Hey, do you want to nuke a city for fun, or would you like to not nuke things?" Of course, that's really not saying much is it, and it remains quite the embarrassment that people thought it was at the time.

Locations you will travel to our often pretty to look at, with some nice environment effects and often a large moon or planet as a beautiful backdrop in a colorful sky. For a game of this style it is more linear than what we usually get, this can be good because you are always actively doing something, it isn't that long of a playthrough, and your time isn't wasted by trudging through often dull repetitive locations. However, you also end up with a much more linear world in the sense that everything feels like it was created just for you to complete your string of quests, giving a world with no real surprises to discover from exploration and locations without much in the way of size or a feeling of history behind them other than what is currently effecting them and what you are here to do about it. The locations certainly do a better job than Bethesda's Fallout titles that still like to prop up skeletons and dead bodies in places that live people have been staying in for decades, even though all the containers everywhere full of things that make no sense never do the world design any favors. There are moments where you can tell work went into minor areas. At one point, I was fired from an employer and the guy manning the reception desk who had been friendly now only told me that he wasn't supposed to talk to me. I decided to try out the silencer on my hunting rifle and went back into the room, closed the door behind me, and shot the four inside before anyone could shoot back so the receptionist wouldn't become alerted, after leaving he now would only comment on how quiet things have been inside the office.

Many sidequests amount to little more than fetch quests or set ups that have become ridiculously cliche. You will run into the generic family of cannibals, they will ask you to stay for dinner and say they don't know anything about the man you are looking for, then, because it is still basically a Bethesda esque Fallout game (even if one by a much more competent team), you will just walk upstairs and open a door to find that dinner is made out of people before likely shooting the family for some XP and moving on. You can convince the family not to attack you but why waste the XP, better to convince them for the skill XP bonus and then shoot them all when they are unarmed for the kill XP. A companion wonders how people could do such a thing, while I wonder why developers are still doing the same thing, in the exact same ways.

Combat is, quite dull for the most part. It is too much of an FPS to give you much in the way of interesting skills or equipment for yourself or your party and it is too much of an RPG to offer more exciting gun/melee battles. You can do little else when it comes to tactics other than slowing time and hitting certain body parts to blind, knockdown, do bonus damage, etc and the excitement of a good FPS tends to die down when you need to shoot something in the head 10 times to kill it while is awkwardly staggers and continues to shoot you at the same time. Your ability to slow down time is ok but even that is on the weaker sides of games that have a bullet time ability, and they have made so many abilities tied to getting hits while in that mode that it basically means you are going to be putting a lot of your level up perks into passive abilities that make that mode last longer or recharge faster as everything else is useless by comparison.

You are not rewarded for avoiding combat like Obsidian's past Pillars of Eternity title where all experience was quest based and killing would just get you loot or information on enemies. This puts you in positions where just killing as much as you can instead of making use of alternate paths or conversation options or faction loyalty changes makes more sense than anything else, you can even try to kill as much as you want in some locations and then go talk to someone else to side with them. A location might make stealth an option but other than crouch walking there is nothing interesting about the stealth system to make you want to use it, you would have to make a large skill investment to make it useful, and if you do that you are either going to be making use of the level design and losing experience and loot for it or you are just going to be attaching a silent barrel to your gun and shooting everyone in a way where the level design doesn't really matter anyway. There are some interesting weapons in the form of the science guns, one can shrink enemies, one can mind control them, and the last can shock and levitate them. They can be fun to use just to do something different but having only three with interesting effects like that in a science fiction setting is a little disappointing, outside of that it's the generic bullet, laser, plasma, and shock, fire, and acid effects we've always seen in Fallout and Borderlands.

Outer Worlds has a great healing system. You will automatically regenerate health based on one of your temperament attribute (or not if you decreased it all the way), saving you the time of not having to bother with healing items or sleeping all the time. What makes the healing interesting is that you will find items that will regenerate about 25% of your lost health over a few seconds, but as your medicine skill increases you can equip additional consumable items to be used with that healing items. You can be taking a mixture of food, alcohol, drugs, etc that will give new healing effects, buff your stats, or buff your attributes. It's a good way to actually make use of items that don't see much use in most games like this. In most games you will never actually take the time to equip or eat that item that gives you an armor or damage boos for a couple seconds, but here you can take both those items together while also healing yourself. It's a really nice system, the only bad thing about this is that the game is so easy on the normal difficulty setting that I never once had to heal myself in or outside of combat, and you will probably want to play on a harder difficulty to have a real use for a better thought out than normal system. The issue with playing on a harder difficulty being that you are making combat, one of the weakest parts of the game more prevalent and longer to complete as you are giving the game's frequent high health enemies even more health.

The way that increasing your skills is done is also a nice change of pace for most RPGs. Skills are separated into similar trees with 2-3 skills in each, you level the entire tree until you get to 50 and then branch off to level abilities by themselves. This is a nice system as it builds up your base skills early for low level characters, allows you time to consider what skills you really want to focus in, and makes sense since the trees contain similar skills that likely would at least somewhat work together. Your ability to converse with people will raise your persuade, intimidate, and lie skill. Unfortunately, much like the games healing system, skills just aren't very interesting or useful. At times I saved up over seven levels worth of skill points because they just didn't matter. I'd keep them saved in order to later level a skill when I needed it to pass a conversation check or to hack or lockpick something, their effects are so minimal that I just had no reason to actively spend them and the game was so easily that small combat bonuses from weapon, science, medicine, and stealth skills just didn't matter for anything directly combat related. Every two levels will allow you to acquire a perk, a series of mostly uninteresting passive bonuses of no to high use depending on your class build. Flaws can also be accepted under certain circumstances, giving you a small or very significant penalty in order to get a free perk in return, many of these are so terrible they aren't worth it and some do next to nothing and are obviously worth accepting. You won't see anything interesting or amusing in the flaws or perks like with Fallout's bad luck or mysterious stranger perks, just a series of mostly number and percentage buffs with five of them existing just to allow you to carry around more garbage to sell.

Speaking of garbage to sell, that can be a large part of the game if you fall into its trap. Loot everything, steal everything, sell everything, break things down to fix your pathetic constantly falling apart weapons, pickpocket if you have the skill and sell all that shit, horde money for no actual reason. What can you do in heavily capitalist and corporate setting where you have a ship that most people can only dream of having, if they are even capable of having dreams anymore as corporate doesn't like to encourage the imagination, and more money than most will ever see in their life? The answer in Outer Worlds is, not much, you can buy a $3000 casserole so your companion can serve it for her date and that's about it. Almost every guide for this game says to take a perk that allows you to fast travel when you are over encumbered, not only is this useless as I have had no reason to do that even with an average strength attribute, but there are so many station (even in hostile areas) and vendors everywhere to sell stuff that you will never need this, and if you are that worried about it then you are unlikely to be having a good time with the game anyway. I suppose hoarding wealth for no other reason to hoard wealth can fit with the themes of the game, but then again, it's such a generic RPG fault, exacerbated by bad systems, never really commented on or done anything with, then further mixed with you not knowing how much money might become necessary for quests after having to spend thousands at different times that I can't really give the game that one. Now it just feels like another missed opportunity on both theme and gameplay accounts.

Your companions are enjoyable to have around, they speak up often in conversations, might run into people that they used to know starting new conversations, and you can occasionally make use of their job fields in quest events. I love that the entirety of Parvati's multiple world spanning quest is basically built around the joke of lesbians wondering if that girl that sends them romantic poetry might be into them. It was also nice to see an asexual character as well, I've never had any particular personal interest in having my sexuality represented (from a story perspective I'd still like to see a polyamorous relationship portrayed well but Skies of Arcadia still seems to still be the closest we've gotten to that) but I've seen a lot of people happy to see the representation. On the other hand most of your companions have extremely poor quests, one has you going to see someone, going somewhere else to see someone, picking up a piece of paper next to the first guy, then likely shooting a few people. It is completely uninteresting in every way, the environment created for the fight and as growth for your companion character. One companion has you talk to a few people before finding an old hermit and taking some drugs where you share a vision together with the goal of trying to get him to better understand himself, it's more unique than other quests but like the other activities in this game it stops short of being interesting or memorable and is over after only a few dialouge options, quite likely working more as a situation to get a minor chuckle out of you rather than any kind of deep writing or character development.

Companions just aren't very interesting when they aren't talking. Each one can boost three of your stats but you can very rarely order them to do something for you, they each have one special attack that you will likely get sick of seeing, and each only has three unique perks to select mostly giving the same dull (and often almost useless) kind of bonus as all the perks. You can set if you want them to use a melee or ranged weapon, the distance you want them to keep in combat, and how aggressive to be but fights are often taking place in such cramped areas, with so few combatants, or with so many combatants that these setting don't always end up meaning much. When it comes to equipment you are just going to be giving them the armor with the best armor stats and the best weapon that fits with the range you want them to attempt to maintain. It would be nice to see a bit more control or interesting parks but most enemy types and the AI just doesn't allow for it.

A game with good companions, some mildly funny moments, pretty planets, but mediocre to average in everything else. The strongest quests in Outer Worlds come nowhere close to the best of Obsidian's New Vegas, any quests that could have been interesting or unique tend to be over before they even really start or waste their potential on basic fetch quest style design that gives you no room to do anything interesting or to figure anything out by yourself. If you are looking at this after playing or with most of your RPG experience in recent Bethesda titles or AAA RPGs then you will probably enjoy this a lot more than someone fresh off of Disco Elysium and who still has thoughts of Arcanum every now and then. The forces representing the factions and ideologies of Disco Elysium might have you complete a series of quests, finding information, tracking people down, and using your skills to say what you feel are the correct conversation options to do what you you need to do in games, complete the quests with the result you want. Only to then be told, "Thank's idiot, I knew what you were doing the whole time and it was exactly what I wanted," you've inadvertently made them more powerful. And maybe that's what you wanted because you think you still made the best of a bad situation, maybe you no longer really care because you're just a nobody trying to get by. In Outer Worlds you might alter a person you have never met before's entire worldview and focus with one dull high persuade dialogue option because you're special, and then you get told what a good ally you have found in the ending slideshow.

Outer Wilds might be a slap or punch in the face to Bethesda, but that doesn't mean much if they're already dead when it happens.

123) The Uncertain: the Last Quiet Day

It's like one of the Telltale episodic games, with actual puzzles. Not as complex as Sam and Max or Monkey Island, but it's there. It takes place during a time when robots ruled the world & humans are extinct. Pretty much what happens when Skynet ruled the world. But of course nothing is quite as simple as it seemed since in the beginning of the game, a ship crashed nearby your main character's house, and gasp, there's a human inside, and you find out that there's a resistance group that are helping the remaining humans on earth to safety. Naturally, you join them & help find more humans. Pretty self explanatory.

Unfortunately this game is only part 1 out of 3 so it ended on a cliffhanger. But thankfully part 2 will come out in 2020. Let's see how the story continues, though personally I'm looking forward more to the sequel of the Fall 2. 

124) Fifa 18

Platform: PS4

Well....... been a while since I played a soccer game. I got this game from my former co worker, and I finally played it to get it over with. Well, it's still the same Fifa as I remembered it when I played one of them, though generally these Fifa games are pretty much "choose players + formations, press square for long bass, X for short pass & circle to shoot. It think it was Fifa 13. Of course it's with much better graphics & probably a few new mechanics. But I'm glad that it's still fun to play.

The thing that I didn't expect was the Alex Hunter story mode. This is apparently the second part of the story after Fifa 17 & it concludes in Fifa 19. And surprisingly, it's actually a good story mode!

Now I understand why there's a lot of people that likes this game's trailer, it's genuinely the best part about this game.

There's a lot of twists and turns about Alex's life & his family, your in game performance + attitude during different scenes change how a couple of scenes play out, and there are even cool sections where I play as someone other than Alex. Now I know why Mass Effect Andromeda & Anthem got such shit story: the writers who usually made good stories were transfered to make Fifa's 17 - 19's story mode. Which is good for this game, but not for those!

Completed: Afterparty

Grind of jobs in hell mirroring the lives of many of the living, drinking culture, and becoming an adult. Really is way too limited to cover those topic well or in any interesting way apart from a few good lines of dialogue.  

Choices lead to different events but won't cause any major narrative or ending changes and make replay less meaningful. With the short length of the game it would have just been nice to do it all at once so you don't have to replay the game again, of it just let you keep a save file apart from its autosaves. Dull areas that you will be backtracking through. Silence as a legitimate option in Oxenfree is mostly gone as the other character you aren't currently controlling will say something, because of the length and switching between two characters it feels less like you are making a personality for a particular character and your conversation choices aren't always that different. I didn't usually even like my choices, there are parts of the game where you can drink and different drinks will create a third choices, these never have any meaningful effect on anything. It's glitchy, voices play over each other, conversations repeated, they would randomly end, and when people are talking as you are walking places the length of your time to get places and speed isn't properly considered which will lead to you cutting conversations short and starting new ones unless you just stand around waiting. Almost always trying to be funny and fails basically ever time, it's better as a commentary on things like drinking culture and social media but it so rarely takes time to focus on those areas, instead being about the pathetic lives and worry of the main protagonists. These worries include one of them moving to attempt to start a life after college, while the other apparently went to......build up student loan dept?