• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2019)

110 posts in this topic

136) Spin Rhythm XD

Platform: PC

A funky ass DJ rhythm game..... hm that's not quite right. Let me show the game:

You control that circle thing on the bottom & make sure to hit either the red or blue note in tune with the song if it's a solid line, and you sometimes press spacebar on the green parts & spin to the left or right when it's an arrow part, which translates to moving your mouse in that direction. It is definitely harder than it looks. It took me 5 tries to pass the first song in the game. Granted I right away go for the hard difficulty, but it's so much fun doing it! Cool song collections, and one of the song is actually the exact song that a game called Just Shapes & Beats have.

Spin Rhyhm's still in early access, but it'll be a lot more fun when the full version is out. My favorite song in this game atm is this funky tune.

137) Superliminal

When I saw this game on the PS State of Play,

I didn't know that it was already out on Epic Games store. This is the full complete version of the game that I saw here in the forum years ago where you use forced perspective to make an object bigger or smaller that I like so much.

So of course I immediately play it. The story, yes there's a story, is that you're taking part in a dream experiment conducted by the Pierce Institute for people who wants to get rid of self doubt & negative emotions. And the entire game is basically just you in this dream world doing a bunch of cool as hell illusion based puzzles where you either use forced perspective to get through a puzzle, and many optical illusion stuff which will blow your damn mind after you completed them. Even though the game is quite short, I mean I beat it in around 1 hour, the game ends on an uplifting tone that makes you happy to get through it. Well done dev team, you have finally made your game & expanded on that mind blowing tech demo. Can't wait to see what you will come up with next!

Completed: Sigma Theory

Sigma Theory has you choose a team of four agents each with an intelligence and strength skill and passive traits that make them better or worse in different areas. Each playable country is trying to acquire scientist to research technology that will greatly push forward advancement in different areas. You can hack other countries to lower their alert levels, find what scientists they have through hacking or having your agents travel and investigate, convince scientists to become double agents, extract or capture them on short missions that give you a few decisions that will make things easier or harder on your agent, and if you want to use researched technology yourself or give it to powerful secret factions for less victory points and probably terrible results for humanity but bonuses in other areas.

It's an interesting idea but it is all way to limited. You usually only have two choices, faction missions will always play out the same way, extractions are limited, your agents might have some detail in their backgrounds but will almost never say or do anything interesting in the game and have no relationships among each other, the research plotline makes the game short and the game would probably be more interesting without it and the focused moved to expanded character and mission interaction. It gives you no real information about the actual numbers behind outcomes making it difficult to judge how effective some things are, many of the agents you could use seem like they would basically be useless, and intelligence and hacking abilities is so much more useful than anything else that there is little reason to go with any other type of agent as your game has no real reason not to play out in almost the same way every time once you know what to do.

138) Darksiders Genesis

My personal favorite Darksiders game so far. Can't wait for 4.

Completed: Sayonara Wild Hearts

I have no interest or attachment to music and have already forgotten every track in the game seconds after playing, so I don't have anything interesting or meaningful to say about it like a lot of other people can. Without an interest or ear for music I can't really have anything of value to say about the gameplay either. Visually it looks great and almost every stage is adding a new way of movement and a new type of environment. Was hoping it would be gayer. Probably recommended.

So you just played a music rhythm game even though you don't like music. That's like trying to eat food that you're allergic to. That game looks interesting though, so I'll probably like it when I play it.

139) Just Shapes & Beats

Ohoho, now THIS, THIS is a damn good rhythm game/ bullet hell hybrid. Basically it's a music game where the songs create obstacles that you have to dodge, and they are all funky + challenging, with great visuals to accompany it all. The game's story is quite short, but it's such a damn good fun journey. Never have I seen a game start pretending that it's the end credits, and then destroying the credits which sends you to the real game. The only bummer about the game is that 95% of the game are spent dodging bullet hell obstacles, and only the last 5% of the game has you actually able to shoot an enemy like a shoot em up, but in the end it works for the story & that last moment was freaking epic.

Outside of the songs in Story mode, you can get more songs in the challenge mode & playlist mode, but it's a shame that the game isn't like Audiosurf where you can use any song you want. Then again, it's unlikely that this game can make up elaborate bullet hell obstacles on the go so I understand. The game apparently had an update that includes the songs from Shovel Knight, which is extra cool.

If future updates for this game include Undertale's songs, man that's gonna be sweet!

140) Tekken 7

After not playing this game for 2 years since Geese was out, I decided to return to this fun as hell fighting game, specifically because Leroy was out & I tried him at one of the fighting game major tournament here last week.

Also because Steve went nuts at Tekken Finals & that made me want to play the game again. XD

He's so damn awesome, and might I say kind of freaking broken atm. He can parry a lot of attacks + counter instantly, his attacks all look cool & deal tons of damage, and he just have good pimpin style with him. I played him against really high ranked players online & I had more chance of winning than any other characters in the game. He needs a nerf, but man I enjoyed returning to Tekken 7 again playing him. Shame that Tekken Force hasn't been put in even though I want that mode so damn bad URGHHH!

Completed: AI: The Somnium Files

You take the role of a cap with an AI prosthetic eye that belongs to a secret division that has a machine that allows them to explore the minds of other people. Exploring their minds has you and your AI interacting with different objects in their minds environment to open memory locks, many of these lead to diverging story paths. Outside of these areas gameplay involves just choosing all the dialogue options with people and clicking on things in the environment to look at.

Often dark but more comedic than the 999/Zero Escape series. Good writing and characters with an interesting plot, multiple paths that need to be explored to get the full story and true ending. Good music, and great acting. The character models look a lot better than they did in Zero Time Dilemma.

Not much in the way of puzzles, more of a visual novel with some alternate choices (with the alternate choices being things you will need to do anyway). Environment can give information about a place or a person often being good subtle foreshadowing, but more often creates often odd puns or sexual comments that make the main character seem dumb/sleazy and detracts from the game. You are never really required to do anything challenging or interesting puzzle wise in the actions or sync environments, and when there is action it doesn't mesh well with the art and character models of the game.

141) TowerFall

WOHOO, Epic Games Store is giving up 1 free game every day! And this is one of them.

I saw a couple of youtubers played this when it was new. It's an archery platformer VS game where you have to dodge arrows from other players, or jump towards that arrow to get their arrow for yourself, and you'll die in one hit. It's a lot of fun. Back then this game was just co-op only, and then I guess they released updates for it that actually adds singleplayer mode with levels and bosses. Now that's awesome. Overwatch should actually do this instead of adding singleplayer on their second game, but they're greed now so what can we do. 

This damn boss tower took me a lot of tries, and when I took this guy down,

Man it feels good!

Completed: The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game

Based on the physical version by Fantasy Flight, with some changes to the mechanics and made for 1-2 players instead of 1-4. Both end up playing quite differently as combat is much different but both versions are two of the better card games I've played. This one also borrows a lot of the excellent art from the physical game. Some very good synergy between many of the cards. Certain abilities or cards can have uses you might not originally expect from their normal assumed use, which can lead to effective strategies in dealing with certain situations or locations. Digital version allows more varied card types and random effects as well as more unique scenario situations. Well voice acted. For now has 18 different scenarios to play through as well as a tutorial and a newly added gametype that randomizes things.

Fate and ways of dealing with threat can make sitting around without moving on to build forces too effective, but it looks like some changes made and some of the goals on the newer quests are starting to be able to work around that. Went quite awhile without a good content update while they were improving the tutorial and working on the console versions but the content they did end releasing after the way was very good and I'm hoping to see new cards added more quickly in between campaigns.

Completed: Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation

Takes the character swapping of the previous game and now hides hidden upgrades that will increase your attack, gives you a brief way to slow your fall, see hidden platforms, punch through bricks, etc. Good music. Plays more like a SNES game than the previous title you can swim, wall slide and jump, and shoot in 8 directions, charge your attack.

Controls don't work well when you wall jump or fire charged shots, sometimes just refusing to jump or fire for no apparent reason. A lot easier and by extension over a lot faster than previous game.

Completed: Akane

Cyberpunk arena combat game where you fight a wave of 100 enemies before the boss enemy appears, killing them starts the next wave. You have a sword, gun, block, and dash move and can do two special attacks when your adrenaline meter fills. You can unlock different swords with new abilities, guns, shoes to change your dash style, accessories, and cigarettes to change your dash color by completing different challenges. Fun well made simple game. More options would be nice just to make some custom runs by changing up enemy types, effects, skill, or enemy amounts.

Completed: 99Vidas

Beat em up with a good art style and some nice backgrounds but one that plays too much like the more mediocre beat em ups of the past with nothing or very little done to improve on them, and in one case being worse.

You have a punch, kick, two dash attacks, jump attacks, and a meter that charges over time to do a screen clearing and high damage moves. You have the usual dull weapons that are either worthless or behave in a dull way while doing little damage. Bat and pipes do an awkward looking attack that knocks enemies down that will have you walking back and forth and hitting enemies in between their knock down phases and you have knives and bottles that are as worthless as they always are in these games because that's what the old games did for some reason and if no one has fixed it in 30 years why bother now. Characters have the same combos but with speed and strength differences and different elements. You don't have any real special attacks, combos are just four punches or a punch and three kicks with the last hit unleashing an elemental attack with it (water, fire, lightning, earth) that does more damage after you pay score point to upgrade moves between stages.

Normal enemies are very limited in variety, get you in long combos, grab you randomly, and constantly back away and run from you off the allowed screen space. You get the usual annoying fat guy enemies that fight you by being fat and awkwardly slamming into you with their stomachs for large damage while being suddenly immune to your attacks. You will get caught in odd looking combos from multiple enemies you can't get out of unless you use your self damage AoE move. You will rarely know if you should use this because of all the times you will think you are about to be caught in a combo, only for the enemies to just kind of get bored after hitting you once or twice to just stand around. Boss fights are terrible. Instead of a normal fight they have some gimmick where they will take almost no damage and easily counter you, until they get stunned somehow and you can pull off about three full combo attacks for large amounts of damage. Bosses suffer very little damage from your charged screen clearing move, so its better to save it when you are about to die with health nearby or for some repeating robot mid-boss that you can almost kill in one hit with it.

You can have some fun playing this with 1 or 3 friends but there are much better beat em ups to buy and much better ones to emulate, as it is it is too simplistic, not that satisfying to actually hit your enemies, and does nothing to fix problems with the older games in the genre, even making some of those old problems worse.

Completed: Luigi's Mansion
Platform: Gamecube

Great looking for its time and still is now, atmospheric environment, Luigi's has very expressive movement and sounds. In addition to normal enemies find unique ghosts, the 50 hidden Boos (though you get 15 from a boss fight), hidden items, and keys by exploring the mansion and using your vacuum and elements it can make use of to effect the environment. Main enemies aren't very interesting. Good but limited music, but nice to listen to Luigi hum along. Short with no real replay value.

Completed: Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi

An FPS rougelite. You return from losing the Olympic fencing competition in Sweden to attend your sister's wedding, only to find your family and family friends captured and your sister about to be sacrificed to summon Lord Malachi. You fight with a silver cane sword, different types of guns, crosses, and stakes. You need to save as many people as you can in an 1.5 hours to weaken the final boss. The castle makes changes each time you play, though the overall design is the same just with different rooms, this does lead to a lot of generic looking rooms. It has a good atmosphere as well as good sound and music. Crosses and holy water have to be used to defeat certain enemies and stakes used on vampires that are found or that have retreated to their coffins. Not the most technically competent or most satisfying gunplay but everything works well enough together on top of a more unique idea at the time to make it enjoyable enough even all these years later.

Completed: X-Blades

Terrible story, acting, and combat. Dull locations and enemy design.

142) Aliens Colonial Marines

Thanks PlasticFrog for giving this game to me because I requested it! 

It's not as bad as when Joe reviewed it, mostly because I use the mod ACM Overhaul that makes the aliens 10 times smarter and 3 times fast as hell, so they can pretty much kill you when you're not careful like they're supposed to. Unlike this:

Basically as I expected, this game is an extended version of the marine campaign from Alien Vs Predator game back in 2010 minus the Predator with questionably ugly graphics, but for some reason, the shooting here feels like it's from Duke Nukem Forever, aka they lack a good kick that makes guns feels powerful. I don't get why they don't just use the same game engine as the AVP 2010 game, because that one is damn good! Still, it's fun when you use the legendary weapons you collected that belongs to Higgs, Vasquez etc from Aliens, and the mod makes the game challenging. I'm surprised that I actually collected almost every single collectible in the game in 1 playthrough, and only missed 1 dog tag which I finally got after finishing the final level. Why the hell isn't the final battle a power loader brawl?? The Raven chapter had it, so why not this?? It could've been dumb fun trying to do punch out with the Queen!

It is quite a shame that there's no sequel yet, because I quite want to see what's next, considering that this story is canon, or maybe not anymore because it's so hated. All the dev needs to do is use the AVP 2010 game engine to make shooting good, have more Aliens battle with adequate ai, and have 2 playable characters: 1 as a marine, and another as a survivalist, and make the survivalist section be like Alien Isolation where the alien is so damn smart, that you will shit yourself scared trying to get away from it!

143) Judgment

Platform: PS4

Since Yakuza 7 isn't out in Japan until 16 January, and because that game is a turn based RPG, and even if I get the game on my Singapore PSN account I won't be able to read a damn thing since it's in Chinese, Judgment is a great replacement for my Ryu Ga Gotoku December fun tradition. Which is great because this version changed the actor who played Hamura, so it's like I'm playing a new game. Kind of. I played it when it's in Chinese with the original title Judge Eyes in 2018, and I brute force that one. Now that the game is in English, I enjoyed this game 10 times more. Primarily because I finally understand everything, especially the various side stories. It's still so damn good from the combat alone, but now the stories from both main story & side stories just got amplified. I also feel guilty because I as it turns out, there's 1 side story where I just did it as told in the Chinese version, but turns out I was actually assisting a psycho stalker. So now that I know that, I whooped his ass & feel good about doing the right thing.

And you know what, now that I think about it, Judgment has the best story out of all the Ryu Ga Gotoku series. This is a damn good detective plot, and made even better because of the Ryu Ga Gotoku quirky silliness sprinkled within that makes every character & story moments enjoyable to go through. They did a great job here & I can't wait to see how Judge Eyes 2 starts its new chapter!

Fittingly, since this is a detective game, this game makes me rethink my thought about Disco Elysium. I think this game made Disco Elysium even worse now. I like that game, but overall that game is pretty much an homage to classic tabletop rpgs with a detective theme put in, and while it's very unique with its world lore & characters, especially how your body organ speaks to you, it doesn't make me want to play it again. It's quite annoying that there's only 1 part of the game that has actual life and death situation, and that's 1 part before the end of the game. I know that the whole game can kill you because you can fail a Fallout esque skill check, but that's not even an actual challenge because all you do in the game is save scum & let the dice roll until it reaches above the required percentage, which I did many times. This is quite funny, but finishing that game is like being free from hypnosis, for some reason. I enjoyed my entire time with that game, but once I finished it I don't want to go back to it.

That game feels like a prologue to something bigger that's coming in the even better sequel I'm sure of it, while Judgment put everything in full force for the plot & setting which makes the game a complete package + even more from all the great minigames. I was considering putting Disco Elysium as my top 10 best game of 2019, but Judgment stole the spot, like an assassin striking at the perfect moment. A game that definitely will be 10 times better in the future shouldn't be put to my top 10, because that'll be unfair to the other games that definitely deserves it.

Completed: Untitled Goose Game

It took me about 10 minutes or less to realize I would not like the goose game, unfortunately that was after leaving it on in the background while reading things for over an hour and 50 minutes, passing Epic's return playtime window with the additional 10 of playing it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I finished it while listening to videos.