• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

This Week In Gaming 4-23-19

1 post in this topic

S9BDiel.png

Game Informer Australia shuts down due to falling shares of parent company GameStop, Richard Moss' retrospective on bringing the Game Boy and some of its games to the west, Jeremy Antley looks at Twitch culture and the labor and effects that both growing and entertaining chat has on many streamers, Colin Campbell reports on the months of intense crunch at Epic after the sudden success of Fortnite, Tim Rogers discovers a beat em up with phenomenal writing, hands on with Control and A Plague Tale and new gameplay of Rage 2, developers discuss the making of Into the Breach and creating a language for Heaven's Vault, with the Notre-Dame fire Gilles Roy considers how virtual spaces can carry the memory of real ones and wonders what will carry the memory of the digital, Forest Lassman looks into where the careers of the Uncharted 2 developers have taken them, and more.

Gaming News (Announcements, previews, release dates, interviews and writing on upcoming games, DLC and game updates, company and developer news, country news, tech, mods)

A Plague Tale: Innocence explores war, sickness, and the wrath of the French Inquisition

0RygwvG.jpg

The rats are at the centre of A Plague Tale: Innocence’s gruesome stage. Asobo Studio will tell you its medieval tragedy is about two children trying to survive the black plague that decimated the 14th century – but no, it’s the bloodthirsty rodents who are the stars.

Partisans 41 Looks A Lot Like A Modern Commandos

The Commandos series was amazing, then it disappeared, and we’ve all been sad—Shadow Tactics aside—ever since. But the upcoming Partisans 1941 is here to at least try and scratch the same itch.

Cel-shaded FPS XIII is being remade for modern consoles, PC

Xbox, GameCube and PlayStation 2 shooter XIII is being remade for current-gen consoles and PC.

Here’s 45 fresh minutes of Rage 2 gameplay

There’s less than a month left until Rage 2 comes out, which means it’s about time to get hyped up by watching influencers get a crack at it ahead of time. Streamer CohhCarnage attended a Rage 2 event found out his capture setup hadn’t worked – so the folks from Bethesda went to his house and got him set up to stream some raw gameplay to his fans.

New Gameplay Today – Nowhere Prophet

Leo walks Cork through a unique deckbuilding roguelike from Sharkbomb Studios, available now in itch.io First Access and coming to Steam this summer.

Hands-on with Control, Remedy's most ambitious game yet

DFQYKKG.jpg

The Alan Wake developer's latest is strange, compelling and visually inventive.

Total War: Three Kingdoms Episode 1: Bringing the Three Kingdoms to Life

Sponsored: Go inside the creation of the next Total War historical game with insights from Creative Assembly. This series was created in collaboration with Sega.

Total War: THREE KINGDOMS - How to play as Lu Bu

Want to know how to play as Lu Bu in the campaign of Total War: THREE KINGDOMS? You're already in the right place.

New Gameplay Today – SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech

Tack and Kyle join Leo for a look at this fantasy-steampunk card-based RPG in the SteamWorld series! SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech releases on Switch on April 25th.

Investor: Phoenix Point developers got more than $2 million for Epic exclusivity deal

The deal Phoenix Point developer Snapshot games struck with Epic Games to make the turn-based tactics title a timed exclusive on the Epic Games Store was likely worth more than $2 million USD, according to one investor who helped finance the game on Fig. Working backwards from the numbers announced in an email from Fig, this investor believes Epic probably paid Snapshot about $2.25 million for the exclusivity deal, using SEC filings and already-published information on breakeven points and revenue splits.

LUCASFILM GAMES VP DOUGLAS REILLY AND RESPAWN CEO VINCE ZAMPELLA ON THE POTENT FANTASY OF STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER

StarWars.com leapt at the chance to sit down with Douglas Reilly, vice president of Lucasfilm Games, and Respawn CEO Vince Zampella, to see what other secrets they might be keeping about the first all-story, single-player Jedi action game in almost a decade.

Retro City Rampage followup Shakedown: Hawaii comes out next month

Developer Vblank dropped the release date today.

Little Misfortune is a disturbing adventure about an 8-year-old girl on a walk in the woods

A demo was released today on Steam and Itch.io.

Steel Division 2 delayed into June

Steel Division II, which sees Eugen Systems taking its massive World War II real time battle game to the bloody Eastern Front, has been delayed. Well, delayed again, to be more accurate – the game was originally set to launch April 4, and was then delayed to May 2. Now it’s been delayed to June 20, which the developers say will provide more time to finish up the single-player mode and incorporate player feedback from the beta phases.

Mortal Kombat 11 Devs Promise Fixes for Towers of Time, Krypt Progression

IieWtmu.jpg

Netherrealm has heard the early feedback and is attempting to address it.

BattleTech: Urban Warfare hits the streets on June 4th

BattleTech is letting folks channel their inner Godzillas on June 4th with its second expansion, Urban Warfare. Its biggest addition is a new and deliciously destructible set of city environments, with rooftops to jump-jet onto or embarrassingly fall off.

"Shovel Knight is Not Done:" Yacht Club Games on the Road to King of Cards and Beyond

6OavXfW.png

Five years after its original release, we catch up with Yacht Club's Sean Velasco to talk about delays, lessons learned, and the future of Shovel Knight.

Nintendo is deleting what it deems inappropriate Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stages

qdcLBOk.png

As expected, Nintendo is moving to delete what it deems inappropriate user-generated Super Smash Bros. Ultimate levels after the stage creator feature went live earlier this week.

Atlas Reactor is powering down on June 28th

Nhtolp4.png

Free-to-play squad tactics game Atlas Reactor is the next on 2019’s already dark-stained chopping block. Announced today, Trion Worlds have shut off all premium purchasing options in the game, and made everything available through play until the servers shut down on June 28th. They’re straightforward and candid about the reason for shutting it down, saying that “Despite the support of this great group of fans, Atlas Reactor never grew big enough to fund its continued development”. It’s always sad to see another game go dark, especially one as distinct as this.

After 11 years, Burnout Paradise servers will close this August

After 11 years, the servers for one of the arcade racing genre’s most iconic titles are set to close. In a tweet last night (embedded further down this article), developer Criterion announced that the servers for the original version Burnout Paradise would close later this summer.

Epic says new account security features are coming this year

Q1JSXOz.jpg

Email verification for new accounts, SMS 2FA, and 'additional detection methods' are planned.

Game Informer Australia Is Shutting Down

Game Informer Australia published 113 issues since its inaugural edition in late 2009, with Chris Stead as its launch editor. The magazine was sold through EB's network of stores throughout Australia. The magazine was also critically successful for the last few years consecutively, with its current editor David Milner winning Best Gaming Journalist, Best Columnist, and highly recommended gongs for Best Gaming Coverage at the local IT Journalism Awards.

All of Infocom's text adventure source code archived and public

ON64JLe.png

Infocom text adventures were some of the first PC games I ever played. I was too young to properly wrap my head around them at the time, but they still mean a lot to me. Thus, I’m happy to report that archivist Jason Scott of textfiles.com has uploaded the original source code for all of them to GitHub this week. Digital historians and aspiring coders alike can poke through the bones of these videogame dinosaurs, and hopefully learn a few things about the do’s and do not’s of text parser interfaces. You can find the code here in the Historical Source section of the site.

New AbleGamers website pairs game devs with disabled players

V4PIiUz.jpg

The AbleGamers charity is launching a new website to quickly connect game developers to players with disabilities. Accessible.games gives organizations access to a panel of hundreds across the world to ensure their title works for everyone.

Esports News

Arcade Setups Keep The Dream Of Competitive Darkstalkers 3 Alive

PQ5APBc.png

The fighting game extravaganza MIXUP returns for its third year this weekend in Lyon, France. While it’ll showcase tournaments in all the current major games like Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, and Dragon Ball FighterZ, it’ll also be home to a number of more niche side events, including one for the beloved Capcom arcade classic, Darkstalkers 3.

Content I found interesting this week (interviews, recommendations, think pieces, history, music, culture, design, art, documentaries, criticism, etc)

How Fortnite’s success led to months of intense crunch at Epic Games

Wppbycn.jpg

Sources reveal long hours and intense pressure while working on hit game

Where Are Uncharted 2's Developers Today?

BmsPaeB.jpg

Each person who worked on 2009's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves had their own path to the game. Some had been at Naughty Dog for years, while others were hired mid-development. In the decade since the PlayStation 3 game’s release, people have continued to move around. Some are still at Naughty Dog working on new games, others have gone indie, and others are making Netflix shows.

How fans helped this 11-year-old pirate MMO outlive 2 studio closures

0crNp4d.jpg

The story of Pirates of the Burning Sea, the players who wouldn't let it die, and one developer who stuck with it all the way.

How Nintendo introduced the Game Boy, Tetris, and Pokémon to the West

XZjxNeq.png

We look back ahead of the console’s 30th anniversary

The Game Boy Was the Only Console I Needed Growing Up

On the Game Boy's 30th anniversary, how Nintendo's first true portable console defined a generation of gamers.

Running the Numbers

wa7Gx7r.jpg

Twitch isn’t just a platform but a game in itself

How Inkle developed its own ancient language for Heaven's Vault

Ivr7dVA.jpg

Rather than exploring ancient tombs and fighting monsters, the lens through which most video games have explored the archaeology profession, you (along with your robot, Six) are tracking down a missing scientist by deciphering what appears to be a true to life, functioning ancient language.

The making of Into the Breach: how Subset Games stripped back to the essentials

PGyrIxw.jpg

FTL, the debut release from Subset Games, was born from a set of “perfect coincidences”.

Warren Spector: "If immersive sims disappear, I disappear"

wVRrgms.jpg

System Shock developer explains why the struggles of Dishonored and Deus Ex won't deter him from his chosen genre

TWEWY

WOMEN OF UBISOFT – KAITLIN TREMBLAY

kqRqPuP.png

With an undergraduate degree in English literature and creative writing, and a Masters in film and English, Tremblay began to pursue a career in book publishing. In 2011, she began looking for a way to incorporate her love of writing with her passion for videogames, and started writing games criticism and reviews for her friend's blog. Soon after, Tremblay came across an independent multimedia studio called Pop Sandbox, which was making its first videogame and needed a marketing intern. Tremblay's writing and game expertise made her an excellent fit, and the job kicked off her professional career in videogames.

Everyone should experience what I felt playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

6i0QL6n.jpg

I didn’t know how hungry I was to see or hear myself onscreen

The Cathedral and the Simulacrum

RJeBSAI.jpg

Symbols aflame can feel more real than real. They put “fire in the minds of men“. And I could see it now: we are all on fire, all the time. Notre Dame’s billowing flames were my wake-up call.

After Notre Dame Fire, Players Return to Its Recreation in 'Assassin's Creed Unity'

The iconic cathedral is perfectly preserved in Ubisoft's 2014 game 'Assassin's Creed Unity,' and players are making the most of it.

A Teen Dirtbag Beat-Em-Up With Phenomenal Writing

xhAygtf.jpg

Before I downloaded it, the game had already hooked me with its concept. Visually and with its game design, it evokes works in the legendary Japanese Kunio-Kun series, in which a high school ne’er-do-well pals around with like-minded tough guys. Together, they with whom he bonds over a trouncing of similar-haired tough guys from other neighborhood high schools. Western audiences most likely know Kunio-Kun through the game River City Ransom (1989), a superlative early example of what the video game industry would later come to call “localization”: in River City Ransom, the Tokyo suburbs of Kunio-Kun became a cartoon America; the monochrome school uniforms became shirts with jeans. Rice balls became hamburgers. The teenage yakuza-posery J-slang morphed flawlessly into the affectations of any given James Dean wannabe who slouched teenagedly through the 1950s.

The Heartache Of A Video Game That Makes You Shred Real Books

5fhgChh.png

The British developer behind the unusual game The Book Ritual calls it a BYOS—bring your own shredder. Alistair Aitcheson showed it to me last month in San Francisco at the Game Developers Conference, the first time he’s shown it in the U.S. I spoke with him and played it for about an hour. During that time we discussed his intent, inspirations and about the transformative power of art. I also shredded a book.

'We. The Revolution' Is a Bleak Morality Tale of Revolutionary Violence

A94Njm6.png

A tragedy of ambition and corruption, 'We. The Revolution' is so skeptical of politics it fails to portray any.

The 10 Best Management Sims on Itchi.o

wmu2Nri.jpg

Itch.io is truly a place for the weird and offbeat to flourish. No matter what genre you’re into, there’s always an astonishing selection of titles that challenge established convention and reinvent the boundaries of what a game should be. Taking a look at the many management sims on the platform, the range of creativity on display is impressive. From maintaining a chicken farm to preserving the corpse of your dead daughter, there’s a wide variety of experiences to be had here, each enjoyable in their own macabre or meaningful way.

Spyro Reignited is a Joyous but Troubling Trip Through Childhood

64u0ZvZ.png

The Reignited Trilogy has let me relive everything I loved about the Spyro games in updated graphics, joyously familiar but “reignited” music, and the 21st century. The humor is geared towards a young audience, but fans of the original franchise will still be delighted in re-experiencing the levels of their youth. Still, replaying my childhood favorites has come with some reminders that the original game was not perfect in some of its hopefully unintentional background messaging.

“The Unkind-Faced Buddha,” by Chris Breault

ift9kiP.jpg

At the heart of Sekiro is the Dilapidated Temple, and in the back of the temple the Sculptor works. For the player he designs killing tools, which he refines until they shine with precious stones; for himself he carves statues of the Buddha, which look hideous. In the corner stands a copper Buddha that he tells you was made by a master, “the True Sculptor,” who gave it a kindly face and noble bearing. The Sculptor’s own wooden attempts are hunched and malignant. Some seem to have lost their heads at the hands of a frustrated creator.

Grow Up: Gone Home is Wonderfully, Perfectly YA

qjU4vpF.jpg

Grow Up is a series in which I evaluate whether games called young adult actually fit the definition and exploring why that matters.

Gone Home was really the inspiration for this column. It’s a critical darling—when it was released back in 2013, it was everywhere. At the time, it was like few other games out there; you didn’t play the hero, it revolved around two queer teenage girls, and it was more interested in exploration and atmosphere than traditional game mechanics. By virtue of being new and different (and kicking off the explosion of walking simulators), it was impossible not to talk about.

A real-life lobbyist was just permanently banned in EVE Online for corruption

aGqJnCX.jpg

It seems that, as I speculated, Brian Schoeneman might not be guilty after all. In a blog post released today, developer CCP Games said it has discusses the issue with Brian Schoeneman and the two other banned players and is "conducting an internal review to substantiate the evidence" provided to it while also evaluating its "handling of the situation." Though no exact ruling has been made yet, CCP Games plans to release a statement next week with the findings of their follow-up investigation.

How Interface Screws Mess With You | Psych of Play

Have you ever been playing a game and something happens that reverses your controls? Moving up makes you move down, moving left makes you move left, and you’re suddenly thoroughly confused? Or has your screen ever flipped upside down on you or blocked your view of the action? If so, you’ve come across something called an interface screw. These create some of the strangest feelings you’ll experience in a game. And today on Psych of Play, we’re going to take a look at how these mechanics make you feel absolutely silly.

The Beauty of Parallax

Let's look at how much prettier games look thanks to some moving background layers called parallax scrolling!

Please consider supporting the channel through Patreon to help improve the quality of research, editing, footage capture, animation and overall production of each episode: www.patreon.com/DanRoot

Games as Lit. 101 - Literary Analysis: The World Ends With You (Part 5 - Week 3)

We finally get through the summary and incremental analysis of The World Ends With You by tackling Neku and Beat's adventures in the third week of the game, in the final stretch toward our ultimate understanding of The World Ends With You.

Enjoy the series? Support it on Patreon! http://www.patreon.com/gamesaslit101

Wrestlemania! Games Under Five Hours Q1 2019

It's time at last for another quarterly wrapup! I had to reach a bit, but there's an awful lot of wrestling going on in these games: physical, mental, and emotional. But whether you're grappling with the cops or the metaphysical, I've got a new batch of quick, awesome games under five hours from the last quarter.

How Yoshi's Crafted World Crafts Level Music

Yoshi's Crafted World is one of the cutest games to come out in recent memory, and playing through the huge variety of environments and level gimmicks constantly put a smile on my face. Likewise, I was continuously delighted hearing all of the different ways the game handled the main theme, too, and I thought I'd share some of my favourite variations from the game's soundtrack in this video.

PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/8bitmusictheory

Procedurally Crafting Manhattan for Marvel's Spider-Man

In this GDC 2019 session, Insomniac Games' David Santiago describes the open world pipeline of 'Marvel's Spider-Man' and how each procedural system was originally designed to support iterations, and dependencies.

Classic Game Postmortem: Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, and Panzer Dragoon Saga

In this 2019 GDC talk, Panzer Dragoon developers Yukio Futatsugi and Kentaro Yoshida discuss the concepts for the art and design of the Panzer Dragoon series on the Sega Saturn.

Things I found entertaining throughout the week relating to the game industry

NFL team reveals its match schedule with a journey through gaming history

An NFL team has announced its schedule ahead of the new season with nods to a whole bunch of classic videogames. In a tweet earlier today, the Carolina Panthers revealed the dates of all of its upcoming games with references to titles like Sonic, Mortal Kombat, and even Words with Friends.