• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

MK11 review. Great story mode, great gameplay, but FUCK THE RANDOM LOOTS!

1 post in this topic

It's Mortal Kombat again! But instead of me being happy that this game plays beautifully or that the plot is awesome, I can't do so knowing that this game's rewards system uses one of the random loot drops from the mobile games. Urrgh. I was so looking forward to this game because of how awesome the trailers leading to this game are.

Image result for mk11

The plot of the game is after MKX. Shinnok has been dethrowned, Raiden becomes Dark Raiden again, and the game starts with him leading an assault alongside Cassie + Sonya + Special forces to destroy Evil Revenant Liu Kang + his friends once and for all. Buuut a new villain named Kronika emerges & take control of time, so now past and present are combined for the sake of a "new and balanced timeline" as she said. So now the battle to stop her begins.

Fun fact: there was a mysterious woman in Jade's MK9 ladder ending which everyone, including me, assumed was Kronika

Until a recent tweet from the MKX's comic book writer that reveals the woman is actually Jade's mom and she's in Jade's ladder ending

So there you go, it is what it is!

Luckily her inclusion to the story is actually well done & it answers several questions of previous MK games, like were the arcade ladder endings of the previous games just non-canon, or did they indeed happen? Turns out Kronika is the one who allows those endings to be made to create a perfect timeline where the victor gets their endings realized. And then she resets time again so that everyone gets their endings. So she pretty much has been manipulating time for millions of years. Which is probably the most boring thing to experience. Eh, we get a great story out of it here though.

Gameplay of MK11 is like MKX, but without the 3 special bars. Now you have 2 defense & 2 offense bars to do things like amplifying attacks or use one of those moves where you interact with the background. You can also no longer run so now you can only dash forward or backward. It definitely feels bizarre if you just played MKX again recently, but you can get used to the change pretty quickly. The game offers great tutorials about these changes & character specific challenges to get you ready to play your chosen favorites. 

Another thing that's different now is that you no longer have to pick 3 different variations, instead you can pick 3 or 2 different moves for your characters in the customization option. 

Image result for MK11 cUSTOMization abilities

You can equip max of 3 moves for each character because only 3 skill slots are available to use. Some moves require 2 slots though. Mix and match moves however you want & create your own custom character for each of your favorite combatants is the name of the game here. Kind of like Injustice 2 in that you can equip your characters with gears that has their own modifier slots.

Unfortunately, this is where the game's biggest flaw is. You see, to get costumes, accessories or even modification gems in this game requires you to do challenges in the "Tower of Time" which I'll get to later, do AI challenges where you can challenge other player's AIs like those mobile games player battles, or go to the Krypt and open chests. Now the Krypt itself is freaking awesome.

It's like a simplified PS4 God of War where exploration is more prominent with the occasional puzzles to solve & deathtraps to avoid, and there's even a few enemies you can kill with your hammer, though they die in only 1 hit so don't expect to do combos. So many areas to see & you even get special items that allows you to go to places you can't enter before like the Krypt in MKX. This should have been awesome, but unfortunately, THE KRYPT CHESTS HAVE FUCKING RANDOM ITEMS!

That's right, it's no longer like MKX or previous Krypts where you can go online to find the location for a specific costume/ unlocks that you want. 90% of the chests all have freaking random items & only 10% are not! Joe even made a video about how fucking ridiculous it all is!

The thing with this though is that it's fucking bizarre how this game implements this random loot things. To get currency to open the boxes, you can't use microtransaction. All you can buy with microtransaction in this game are "time crystals" which gives you specific costumes/fatalities/brutalities in the game's main menu, so there's no such thing as buying currency to get all the boxes in Krypt faster than everyone else, which is awesome. BUT WHY DO YOU MAKE EVERYTHING FUCKING RANDOM AND HARD AS HELL TO GET MONEY TO OPEN THESE CHESTS?? 

The main way to get these currencies is to play matches, or go to the Towers of Time which is basically Injustice 2's Multiverse mode or MKX's Living Towes which has random challenges for you to complete. Too bad these Towers of Time are fucking ridiculously hard because there's always some bullshit modifiers that makes them harder than it actually is. Some towers can have assist characters showing up & hitting you, some towers have the enemy with 10x more health than you + laser deathtrap which reduces your health if you stand close to it, some towers have enemies that make the screen pitch black so you can't see anything, some towers have ALL of those combined! And oh, if you think you can use modifier gems on your characters to give them extra perks, tough luck because to unlock the gem slots, you have to play that particular character until the gear levels up. And you have to get lucky and get that specific gem for your character because the gems are character specific. The worst part is that even though you unlock gears, you don't get special attributes to help you during these Towers of Time. You don't get more health, you don't get more damage, maybe if you're extra lucky you can get gems that boost your health and damage, but most of the time you'll get something dumb like "get 8% more currency if you do a brutality". WHYY?????

In fact it is so frustrating, that the only way to beat these towers easily is if you turn on the AI mode before you begin the fight so that the AI will fight for you. Essentially, the game plays itself. Which is thankfully an option but WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THIS SHIT???

I've probably spent 1 million coins to open chests in this game, and I STILL can't get the MK1 Sonya costume that I want. It's good that Netherealm Studios is currently increasing the number of rewards so you can get more currencies and they're giving free amount of currencies to compensate for it,

Image result for mk11 patch message

but if the chests are all still freaking random, then there is just no point to it. Fuck. This. Shit. 

I give this game my rating of "play the game for the story & base gameplay, wait for patch 2000 to have all those currencies with you so you can maybe unlock all chests & get the costumes you want by luck". AKA, wait for sale, or if you have a local fighting game scene, just play this game there with all the other people there so you don't have to pay & get frustrated with the loots. Or buy the game now, but just enjoy it for the great fighting, beware of the loots & don't expect much from them.

Such a damn shame that free mobile phone economy is what brings this game's potential so far down, and I'm so sure that Warner Brothers is the one that forces this into this game, same with their previous games Injustice 2 & fucking Shadow of War. Oh I dread the moment that future games will have even worse versions of these things!

Weltgeist likes this