• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

This Week In Gaming 6-11-19

1 post in this topic

S9BDiel.png

E3 reveals, gameplay, interviews, and impressions. First trailer and info on Baldurs Gate 3, Elden Ring coming from From Software and George R.R. Martin, next gen Xbox, Colin Campbell tells the story of the first E3, gameplay and previews of Watch Dogs Legion, Heather Alexandra's retrospective on the Metal Gear series continues with Metal Gear Solid, first gameplay of Jedi Fallen Order and Vampire Bloodlines 2, Deep Hell on what Jonathan Blow complaining about the state of games really means for the art form and how far it has come without him, Johnny Mnemonic in Cyberpunk, first Psychonauts 2 gameplay and Microsoft buys Double Fine, Jacob Geller discusses the cultural legacy of the headshot, The Game Overanalyser discusses the The Art and Science of Game Feel, and more.

Gaming News (Announcements, previews, release dates, interviews and writing on upcoming games, DLC and game updates, company and developer news, country news, tech, mods)

Full EA Play E3 2019 Presentation

Tune in for all the reveals, trailers, gameplay demos and more at EA Play E3 2019.

FULL Microsoft Xbox E3 2019 Press Conference

Tune in to catch Phil Spencer and the Microsoft team talk about all their latest game reveals, trailers, hardware reveals, and more at E3 2019.

Everything Microsoft Announced At E3 2019

The first details on a powerful new Xbox console, release dates for anticipated games like Cyberpunk 2077, and another developer acquired by Xbox Game Studios led Microsoft’s packed slate of announcements for its E3 briefing on Sunday.

Xbox Project Scarlett Console Announcement | Microsoft Xbox E3 2019

This is our first look at the next generation Xbox Console: Project Scarlett. 120 fps, 8k gaming.

And it launches with Halo.

Hands-On With Microsoft's New Elite Controller

Stephen got some time with the controller earlier today, and aside from some general specs and features rundowns this vid also gives us a good idea of how the new adjustable thumbstick and trigger tension systems work.

Microsoft Ends Xbox Backward Compatibility Efforts With A Final Batch Of Games

Some bittersweet news this E3: Microsoft has announced another batch of games from the original Xbox and Xbox 360 that it will bring to the Xbox One via backward compatibility—but it’ll be the final batch.

FULL Bethesda E3 2019 Press Conference

Watch as Bethesda showcases all their biggest gameplay reveals, trailers, demos and more at E3 2019.

Everything Bethesda Announced At E3 2019

Some intriguing new games are coming from Bethesda’s studios, including new ones from the folks behind The Evil Within and Dishonored. Bethesda’s E3 2019 show featured new games plus lots of updates for Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein and more. Even Commander Keen is back.

Ikumi Nakamura Deserved Her E3 Moment

Even though it was just a brief introduction to Ghostwire: Tokyo, her segment came across as authentic, spontaneous, and heartfelt—a welcome reprieve from rehearsed marketing speeches and sleepily-recited teleprompter babble. The trailer for the game, meanwhile, was rife with eerie supernatural imagery and stylish design (also, the most realistic bowl of ramen I’ve ever seen in a game). It was utterly inscrutable, but striking.

Devolver's E3 conference was bloody and weird, as usual

And it took place inside their fake executive's mind?

Everything from the PC Gaming Show at E3 2019

The PC Gaming Show 2019 showed off an variety of games to the most industry’s most expansive platform today during the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the biggest game industry show in the United States.

The Full Ubisoft E3 Press Conference With Game Informer

Jeff, Jeffm and Leo are talking with reverence over Ubisoft's 2019 showcase!

E3 2019 Recap: Everything Ubisoft Announced -- Watch Dogs Legion, Gods & Monsters, Rainbow Six Quarantine

All the games and news from Ubisoft's press conference.

Uplay Plus subscription service announced for $14.99 a month

Similar to Origin Access, you have access to various Ubisoft games and services. In 2020, the service will be on Stadia as well.

FULL Square Enix E3 2019 Press Conference

From Final Fantasy VII remake to the new Avengers game, you won't want to miss what's in this press conference presentation. Tune in to see all the biggest reveals, gameplay, trailers, demos and more from Square Enix's E3 2019 press conference.

Everything Square Enix Announced At E3 2019

The first details on how Final Fantasy VII Remake will actually, you know, play, plus the first look at Avengers, were the highlights of Square Enix’s E3 briefing on Monday night. Lots of smaller announcements, including the long-awaited Western releases of some classic Japanese RPGs, followed. Here’s all the new news.

Everything Nintendo Announced At E3 2019

As is tradition, Nintendo finished out the four-day marathon of E3 livestreams with its Direct presentation Tuesday morning. The big news? A full sequel to Zelda: Breath of the Wild. We also got updates on Luigi’s Mansion, Animal Crossing, and a bunch of smaller announcements, plus two exciting new Smash characters.

E3 Leaks

Twitter User Who Leaked Most E3 Announcements Says Nintendo's Lawyer Called Them

After promising early and unreleased information about Nintendo’s E3 reveals on Twitter this weekend, an account that’s been leaking the rest of this week’s announcements says they received a call and email from Nintendo asking them to stop.

Google’s Ambitious Video Game Streaming Service Arrives in November

If you want to be there on day one, it'll cost you.

Google Stadia's getting publisher subscriptions on top of Stadia Pro

Google may have already done their big Stadia games and price reveal earlier this week, Stadia top man Phil Harrison has just let slip another interesting nugget of info regarding Stadia’s subscription structure. Speaking to Geoff Keighley during YouTube’s E3 Live show this evening, Harrison said we’ll also be seeing publisher-specific subscriptions making their way to the service in addition to their already-announced Stadia Pro subscription.

Baldur’s Gate III is coming for PC and Stadia ‘when it’s ready,’ takes place after D&D’s Descent into Avernus

Baldur’s Gate III takes place in the modern 5th Edition D&D timeline and will follow the events of Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus, the upcoming storyline that releases in September for the tabletop game. It’s for PC and Stadia and will come out “when it’s ready,” a PR spokesperson said. It builds on the material and storylines from Baldur’s Gate (1997) and Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000). Murder in Baldur’s Gate, a 5E D&D playtest module, is a launching point for Larian’s story, and in the events in that adventure result in Bhaal, the God of Murder, returning. You do not play as the main character from Baldur Gate’s II, and Larian and Wizards aren’t saying if you’re a Bhaalspawn or not. It’ll be a single-player and multiplayer game (as were the originals played on LANs).

“If you like D&D, you’ll be happy” – why Baldur’s Gate 3 will be the adaptation you want

Baldur’s Gate is a landmark in the role-playing genre, and in PC gaming. It single-handedly revitalised the CRPG, spawning imitators like a splitting green slime. It introduced, in the best possible way, a generation of digital gamers to Dungeons and Dragons, the classic pen-and-paper game upon which it was based. It was the first videogame to use the now iconic, isometric Infinity Engine, creating a genre aesthetic that persists even today, with games such as Pillars of Eternity paying homage to the look.

Cyberpunk 2077 Comes Out In April 2020, Will Feature Keanu Reeves

Well, ain’t that some shit. It’s Keanu Reeves in CD Projekt’s Cyberpunk 2077, which comes out April 16, 2020.

E3 2019: Cyberpunk 2077 Collector's Edition Leaks; Release Date & Keanu Reeves Confirmed

CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077 might be the most anticipated game heading into E3 2019. We already know there will be new gameplay on show at E3, and perhaps a release date will finally be confirmed. Whatever is coming, a supposed leak has now shed some light on what might be included in the Collector's edition of the game.

You can finish Cyberpunk 2077 without killing anyone

But you'll probably have to crack a few skulls along the way.

We've seen another 50 minutes of Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay - is it cyberpunk yet?

There's still no availability for an actual hands on with the gameplay here but, at least, there is another near fifty-minute demo we were able to see behind closed doors. It was played live by someone from CD Projekt Red, and much of what we've come to know about Cyberpunk 2077 already is clearly evident. It's still beautiful and vast, still a technological marvel, at least to my layperson eyes, still extraordinarily detailed.

THE TRUEPOWER OF THE FORCE

A hands-on report that reveals why Jedi: Fallen Order could be the Star Wars game fans have been waiting for

The Metroid And Dark Souls Inspirations Of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

To gain the best understanding of the experience Respawn Entertainment is building for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, you basically need to forget about past Star Wars games. Kill them if you have to. Certain elements that have become gameplay standards for Jedi-focused games still remain, like timing a button press to send a laser blast back at the stormtrooper that fired it, but the flow of combat and exploration are quite different than we’ve seen in a Star Wars title, and in fact have more in common with Metroid and Dark Souls.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order's Special Edition And Pre-Order Bonuses Detailed

Pre-ordering will get you four digital cosmetic items: Three skins for Cal's lightsaber, and the "Bee-D-1" skin for BD-1. The special edition will run you an extra $10 and include crimson BD-1 and mantis skins, a digital art book, and a collection of "director's cut" behind-the-scenes feature videos.

We Saw An Extended Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Gameplay Demo | E3 2019

At E3 2019, we got to see a longer Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order demo than the one shown during EA Play. Watch our impressions of the demo which included Saw Guerra's introduction, AT-AT-riding, and much more! Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order releases November 15th on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Each Family Member Is A Different Monster-Slaying Class In Children of Morta

Children of Morta is an upcoming action game about a monster-slaying family, developed by studio Dead Mage and published by Frostpunk developer 11 Bit Studios. We sat down with some folks from 11 Bit to talk about the development process and the role family plays in the game.

Human Characters Will Be Returning As Teammates In Ghost Recon Breakpoint After All

Ghost Recon Breakpoint caused quite a stir on its initial reveal. Though fans of Ghost Recon Wildlands were thrilled with most of what they saw, there was a large section of the community displeased that the A.I.-controlled human squad mates from Wildlands would be replaced with drones. It appears that Ubisoft took the criticism to heart.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint's Survival Elements Keep The Game Tense

I was playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint as the assault class, Fixit. I had been doing my best to act as a tank for my teammates by getting out front and shooting people with my assault rifle. But my injuries started to add up: First I got nicked in the arm, then the leg. I didn’t have a chance to apply bandages, so I just kept fighting. Then I got shot in the gut. My character’s movement slowed dramatically. I needed to get behind cover to deal with my wounds, fast.

Doom Eternal gameplay preview – an evolution as judicious as it is violent

If I stop moving, I’m going to die. That’s a pretty solid rule when it comes to Doom in general, but I’m feeling it particularly keenly right now. As I sprint around the caverns of a hellish cathedral on the surface of Mars, my weapons running critically low on ammunition, I know there’s a pretty jacked demon right behind me that would like nothing more than to batter me to a pulp.

Doom Eternal release date revealed, plus multiplayer and gameplay details

The Doom Eternal release date is still a mystery, but we have learnt a great deal about the Doom 2016 sequel since its announcement at E3 2018. It features more beefy demons in the style of the first game, and from the sounds of it, another exquisite industrial metal soundtrack courtesy of id Software’s resident composer Mick Gordon.

Doom Eternal Hands-On: How Some New Tricks Impact Doom's Famous Glory Kill Loop

There's more to Doom Eternal than Glory Kills now.

Doom Eternal transforms Doomguy into an ultra-violent Spider-Man

New traversal tools and movement abilities, and levels built around them, means your boots rarely touch the ground.

Deathloop is the new game from Arkane Lyon

Deathloop has been announced by Dinga Bakaba and Sebastien Mitton from Arkane Lyon. The new game, which was announced at Bethesda’s E3 conference, takes place in a “time of madness” on the island of Black Reef.

Watch Dogs Legion is the most impressive E3 demo I've played in years

Hands-on with this radical London-set take on the series.

Hands-On With Watch Dogs Legion, A Radical Rework With 'Something To Say'

Instead of featuring a main character, Watch Dogs Legion enables players to recruit and control any of the thousands of characters who populate its world. Players can amass a team of up to 20 playable hacker operatives, each with their own perks, drawbacks, and potentially one of over a dozen types of personalities. They’re starring in a big-budget Ubisoft game that, Hocking asserts, has a message.

How Watch Dogs: Legion Makes NPCs Its Stars | E3 2019

Watch Dogs: Legion, the third entry in Ubisoft's open-world franchise, lets you play as any character in the game's recreation of London. Phil talks through his impressions from E3 2019. Watch Dogs: Legion releases for PS4, Xbox One, and PC on March 6 2020.

Watch Dogs: Legion: Classroom 101 | Ubisoft [NA]

Class is in session! Today we’ll be going over the never-before-seen gameplay innovation that allows you to recruit and play as anyone you see in Watch Dogs: Legion. London is facing its downfall and it’s your job to build the Resistance and take it back! Take notes, there will be a pop quiz!

The Politics of Watch Dogs Legion

Clint Hocking explains the political and social themes that Watch Dogs Legion aims to explore.

Obsidian's Next Game, The Outer Worlds, Is Basically Fallout: New Vegas In Space

As Bethesda takes Fallout multiplayer, the original creators of Fallout are making a brand new single-player shooter-RPG along with the studio that made Fallout: New Vegas. It’s called The Outer Worlds, it’ll be out next year, and it’s basically New Vegas in space.

Borderlands 3 - Official Moze The Gunner Gameplay Demo | E3 2019

Watch the first in-depth gameplay of Moze and her Iron Bear mech as they tear their way through the swamps of Eden-6.

Rainbow Six Quarantine Announced, A 3-Player Co-Op Game

At its E3 press conference Monday afternoon, Ubisoft announced Rainbow Six Quarantine, a cooperative shooter that might be familiar to Kotaku readers. It’s also got a horror twist.

John Wick Hex plays like XCOM via Superhot

EusXTx9.png

Hands-on with the game that was originally conceived as 'one man XCOM'.

There's Going To Be A Blair Witch Video Game

Back in 1996, we all thought that the Blair Witch Project was real and we definitely didn’t think about video game tie-ins. But that’s what we have. Blair Witch was announced today at the 2019 E3 press conference. There’s a missing kid and a loyal dog, and hopefully plenty of scares.

An Extended Look At Vampire: the Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 Gameplay

Paradox dropped a 4:30 trailer earlier today that gives us a pretty good look at some of the gameplay from the upcoming sequel to Vampire: the Masquerade – Bloodlines.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2

One of my fondest gaming memories is playing Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines in the dead of night. Like many people, I had been enticed by Bloodlines' reputation being the only other game released alongside Half-life 2 at launch to use the Source engine. However, the tech for the game became a moot point, as I found myself sucked into the World Of Darkness' gripping universe of vampires trying to balance a busy life of blending in with humans, backstabbing other vampires, and preventing end of the world prophecies from coming to pass.

Upcoming Eldest Souls is a deicide-based boss rush RPG

It is, as it turns out, difficult to kill a god. Still, that’s what you’ll be attempting to do in the RPG-slash-boss-rush Eldest Souls. It will be hard, promise developers Fallen Flag Studio, and you will die a lot. At least you’ll have the pretty pixel art to admire as you try over and over.

Puzzle through a beautiful home with an owl friend in the demo for When The Past Was Around

DEHocPf.png

There’s something not quite right with your companion in When The Past Was Around. But it would be terribly rude to point out that your companion is made of shadows, so I suppose you’d better figure your way through the point and click puzzles in order to add back some colour and detail to them. Even if that does mean having to contend with the fact that they have an owl head.

Tales of Arise announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Bandai Namco announced Tales of Arise for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC at the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference. It will launch in 2020.

Wasteland 3 - E3 2019 - Official Trailer

It's a cold war in Colorado. Join the Rangers, see exotic lands, and meet "interesting" people.

Konami brings back Contra with Contra Rogue Corps

CONTRA: ROGUE CORPS is a brand new canonical entry to the CONTRA franchise that picks up following the events of CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS!

Our First Look At The New Avengers Video Game

Also interesting: this is a service game, ala Destiny, Anthem, etc. Only with a few key differences, mostly that new characters and regions will be free, and that there won’t be any loot boxes.

We Saw 25 Minutes Of Avengers Gameplay – Here's What You Need To Know

Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal's Avengers game debuted at Square Enix's E3 press conference last night, and although we watched Hulk smash a tank and Iron Man rocket through the skies, we were left with more questions than answers. We heard more about the actors' feelings for each character than details about what these famed heroes can actually do on the battlefield. It turns out Crystal Dynamics was saving that information for behind-closed-doors sessions at E3. I was lucky enough to sit in on the first session this morning. Here's a breakdown of what I saw.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 DLC Will Add X-Men, Fantastic Four, And Marvel Knights Characters

During the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct, information about the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order Expansion Pass. A $19.99 pass is available, and it will release more characters starting over the next year. It turns out, these extra characters will include people from the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Marvel Knights.

No More Heroes III Trailer | E3 2019

No More Heroes III Trailer from Nintendo's press conference from E3 2019

It's Official: Elden Ring Is A Crossover Between George R.R. Martin And The Developers Of Dark Souls

Game of Thrones and Dark Souls are colliding. A trailer for a new From Software game called Elden Ring was shown at E3 2019's Microsoft press conference today. The catch: it’s set in a fictional world designed by Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki and best-selling author George R.R. Martin.

Elden Ring will be more Dark Souls than Sekiro and way bigger than both

Though the combat will remain brutal and fast-paced, Elden Ring will be an even bigger and more complex RPG than Dark Souls

Chucklefish shows off Starmancer, where an AI runs a ship

Chucklefish is the publisher of strategy game WarGroove, Metroidvania adventure Timespinner, and the runner-based Indiana Jones-style Pathway.

Control is a tough, complex game with a “Dark Souls vibe” in its combat and storytelling

“We’re kind of throwing you off the deep end, there’s no tutorial” Thomas Puha, Communications Director at Remedy Entertainment, says to the assembled room of eager players booting up the latest build of Control.

Konami Is Making The TurboGrafx 16 Mini

At E3 2019, Konami revealed it is heading into the plug-and-play realm. The company is developing the TurboGrafx 16 Mini. That version of the system will be released in North America, while Europe will get the PC Engine CoreGrafx Mini and Japan will get the PC Engine Mini. Each region’s system will resemble the original model.

Valfaris trailer - PC Gaming Show 2019

Digital Uppercut and Steel Mantis bring us a "heavy metal infused 2D action-platformer." Pulling inspiration from games like Contra and Turrican.

ASTRAL CHAIN - Nintendo Switch Trailer - Nintendo E3 2019

The few survivors of a massive global disaster gather together in a futuristic megacity. Now it’s your job to protect them against otherworldly invaders–but you’re not alone as a member of a special police task force equipped with sentient armaments called Legions. In this brand-new action game from PlatinumGames, control the protagonist and a Legion simultaneously to chain stylish combos. Change Legions on the fly to vary your style and unleash a variety of abilities. The last remnants of humanity depend on you, and to save the world, you must investigate its dark side. Astral Chain launches on the Nintendo Switch on August 30th, 2019.

El Hijo trailer - PC Gaming Show 2019

El Hijo is a charming spaghetti western stealth game where you play as a six-year-old trying to reunite with his mother.

Bulletstorm developer unveils co-op shooter Outriders

Outriders, a shooter set in a “dark and desperate sci-fi universe,” is the next game from People Can Fly, publisher Square Enix announced on Monday during its E3 2019 press briefing.

Final Fantasy VII Remake launches March 3, 2020

Final Fantasy VII Remake will launch worldwide for PlayStation 4 on March 3, 2020, Square Enix announced at the “Final Fantasy VII: A Symphonic Reunion” concert in Los Angeles.

Final Fantasy VII Remake's Action-RPG Combat Detailed

“The game has been made so that players can choose how they want to play,” said Kitase. “I hope players get excited about that.”

Final Fantasy VII Remake Feels Great To Play, But The Project

This afternoon at E3 in Los Angeles, I watched an extended demo of the Final Fantasy VII remake and got my hands on a build for about 15 minutes. Here’s the good news: It could be really special. The bad news: We have no idea when the whole project will be completed.

Final Fantasy VIII Is Getting A Remaster

Final Fantasy VIII is getting remastered, Square Enix announced today at E3. It’ll be out this year for PS4/Xbox/PC/Switch.

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition - Nintendo E3 2019

Embark on grand and epic quest as the Luminary—the hero chosen by Yggdrasil, the world tree, to save the world of Erdrea from an evil fate. The Nintendo Switch version boasts all the sprawling content of the original game along with new content – bonus character-specific stories, additional monsters to ride, ability to speed up battle sequences, and side-quests to journey into past DRAGON QUEST worlds.

Watch the trailer for The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game

The game launches on August 8 for PS4 and is currently available as a Steam Early Access title. It will also be available soon as an Xbox Game Pass title for PC.

Surreal cosmic adventure Genesis Noir reveals a new trailer at the PC Gaming Show

We took our first look at Genesis Noir in early 2018, when we described it as "a stark romp through the entire universe." That's a very sweeping sort of description, isn't it? Fortunately the website at genesisnoirgame.com has a little more of a prosaic breakdown: It's "an adventure game with an emphasis on exploration, simple interactions, and generative art."

Nintendo Announces Sequel to 'Zelda: Breath of the Wild'

After delaying Animal Crossing: New Horizons into 2020, Nintendo closed its E3 2019 presentation with a surprise confirmation that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is getting a sequel. Nintendo didn’t give much information about the game⁠—or any information, really⁠—and it’s expected to be quite a ways away.

Super Mario Maker 2 Gameplay Pt. 1 - Nintendo Treehouse: Live | E3 2019

In this live demonstration, we’re joined by Super Mario series veteran developer Takashi Tezuka for a walkthrough of the all-new Story Mode in Super Mario Maker 2. Stay tuned for more coverage of this game from E3 2019.

Julian Gollop's X-COM spiritual successor Phoenix Point gets September release date

Julian Gollop's X-COM spiritual successor Phoenix Point finally has a release date: it's coming to Xbox One, PC, and Mac on 3rd September.

Hands-On With The Secret-Filled Luigi’s Mansion 3

I played Luigi’s Mansion 3 at an embargoed Nintendo event on Sunday, where I also spoke to some of the game’s developers. It’s already feeling just as good as the great 2013 Nintendo 3DS game Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon.

Hands-on with Luigi's Mansion 3 and its multiplayer dungeon-crawling Scarescraper Mode

In recent years, Nintendo has held up a single game as the centrepiece of its E3 showing, be it Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, or Super Mario Odyssey. This year, it's a different brother's turn.

Panzer Dragoon Remake Heading To The Nintendo Switch This Winter

A new Panzer Dragoon game is in development. During the E3 2019 Nintendo Direct, a remake of the original game was revealed. Forever Entertainment is preparing Panzer Dragoon: Remake for the Nintendo Switch. It currently has a Winter 2019 release window.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses Drops the Iconic Weapon Triangle. Here’s What That Means for the Gameplay

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is only a handful of weeks away, but there's a lot left to dive into surrounding both its combat and the twist its adding with a school-life management sim backdrop. We went hands-on today at E3 2019 to see what Fire Emblem fans can expect. While the song remains the same, what's on the periphery has exponentially grown.

Songs of Conquest is inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic and Total War

Songs of Conquest is an RPG inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic and Total War. It was revealed at the PC Gaming Show 2019 and you can check out the world-first footage above. I wanted to know more about the game behind that lovely pixel art and sent over a few questions to game designer Carl Toftfelt.

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout announced for PS4, PC

Publisher Devolver Digital and developer Mediatonic Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout for PlayStation 4 and PC. It will launch in early 2020.

Watch the Age of Wonders: Planetfall interview from the PC Gaming Show

At the PC Gaming Show today, show sponsor Paradox Interactive and Triumph Studios and showed off Age of Wonders: Planetfall, a 4X strategy game which includes "bioengineers who ride dinosaurs into battle." Some of those dinosaurs have lasers, by the way.

Oninaki, the new Toyko RPG Factory adventure, releases in August

A new trailer was shown at Square Enix's E3 2019 press conference.

DAEMON X MACHINA - Nintendo Switch Trailer - Nintendo E3 2019

When the moon tore apart, the sky bled red with light, ushering in an apocalyptic new age…and to survive, you must fight. As a mercenary, defend Earth through high-speed combat against corrupted robots in a series of missions from the cockpit of your Arsenal, a fully customizable mech. Equip your Arsenal with a vast array of parts and weapons, obtain more from downed enemy Arsenals, and swap them on the fly to suit your strategy in the face of ever-rising threats.

Cris Tales is a gorgeous love letter to classic JRPGs

The new indie RPG with a unique 'time magic' mechanic was revealed today at the PC Gaming Show.

Klei's Griftlands is back as a card battle RPG, alpha starts this July

Griftlands made its debut at the PC Gaming Show back in 2017, light on detail but heavy on cool sci-fi atmosphere and great 2D character art. And then it vanished, while Klei worked on other projects like Oxygen Not Included. But now it's back, and its fresh appearance at the PC Gaming Show today gave us a lot more to go on. For one thing, you're going to be able to play it a month, when an alpha kicks off on July 11.

E3 Trailer: ‘Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga’

All nine “Star Wars” films are getting the full Lego video-game treatment in “Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga.” Lucasfilm Games announced the project at Xbox’s E3 2019 Briefing with a trailer.

Romancing Saga 3 and Saga Scarlet Grace 'coming soon' to Steam

Last year Square Enix releaded Saga Scarlet Grace on Steam, but only in Japan. It was an unusual move for the publisher, considering how (relatively) small the PC audience is in Japan. It's been a wait, but we're finally getting that game in the West, too, along with Romancing Saga 3 on PC, first released on the Super Famicom in Japan in 1995. This will be its first English release.

New Shenmue 3 trailer is all about beating up drunken thugs

Shenmue 3 will be an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC

Here's our first look at Per Aspera, a base-building game about terraforming Mars

Start with a single drone, and build until Mars goes from red planet to green planet.

Empire of Sin is an XCOM-style strategy game, set in 1920s Chicago

The elevator pitch for Paradox’s Empire of Sin, developed by Romero Games, is essentially XCOM set in 1920s Chicago. It’s a turn-based combat-strategy game in which Prohibition-era gangsters compete for territory.

Mosaic: BlipBlop - PC Gaming Show E3 2019 Trailer

Mosaic is coming later in 2019 to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Unexplored 2 is a bold, ambitious roguelike about adventuring across a vast world

"Unexplored was more or less a game to prove the technology. And now it's really opening the world and making it much grander."

Wolfenstein: Youngblood Brings Tons of New Elements To The Series - IGN LIVE E3 2019

Wolfenenstein: Youngblood executive producer, Jerk Gustafsson, discusses how Youngblood brings new elements to the franchise.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood's co-op shines even when you're not killing Nazis

There's a lot of fun stuff to do with your partner even when the bullets aren't flying.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood: "When it comes to level design, Arkane has shown us the way"

It's fitting that a game about cooperation is itself the result of two studios collaborating. MachineGames have brought in the lauded Arkane Studios to assist on this new entry in the Wolfenstein series and their fingerprints are all over it. For better and for worse.

Collection Of Mana Comes To Switch, Including An English Seiken Densetsu 3, And It's Out Today

Twenty-four years after its release, Seiken Densetsu 3 is coming to the U.S. for the first time, as part of a new Switch package called the Collection of Mana. This newly localized version of the Super Nintendo role-playing game will be called Trials of Mana. And, surprise—the collection is out today.

Devolver releases a bunch of bootlegs of its own games, including Hotline Milwaukee

Buy it now on Steam for a stunning 1 percent discount.

Gods & Monsters Is A New Ubisoft Game That's Like Zelda With Greek Mythology

Somehow, the makers of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey are deep in development on a game that looks like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild crossed with Greek myth. It’s a big surprise, especially because the makers of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey just shipped a 100+ hour game last October and now they’ve got a gorgeous new one slated for February of next year.

Here's a first look at Commandos 2's HD remaster coming later this year

Tropico publisher Kalypso Media has shared first footage of its newly remastered edition of WW2 real-time stealth-tactics classic Commandos 2.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch Remastered hits PC in September

Studio Ghibli and Level-5’s JRPG Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch is the next console game of yesteryear to see a remastered PC release. Due September 20th, it seems that publisher Bandai Namco aren’t changing much from the PS3 original beyond a boost in resolution and frame rate.

The Surge 2

The Surge, a Souls-styled game set in a sci-fi universe, is set to get a sequel with a lot of the same ideas in a newly refined context. We really dug what we saw of the game at last year's E3 and it has been a year since then. Since we're already at another E3, we got another trailer for The Surge 2, this time focusing on the game's tone.

ID@Xbox - E3 2019 - New Games Reveal Trailer

ID@Xbox is proud to present amazing games from awesome Independent developers. Our E3 2019 montage features Afterparty, Creature in the Well, Riverbond, Dead Static Drive and many more - all of which will be available in Xbox Game Pass at launch.

Ghostwire: Tokyo is announced at Bethesda E3 conference

Bethesda has just revealed a new title by Tango Gameworks, Ghostwire: Tokyo, at its E3 conference. It is set to be a new kind of adventure game.

Deathloop is the new game from Arkane Lyon

Deathloop has been announced by Dinga Bakaba and Sebastien Mitton from Arkane Lyon. The new game, which was announced at Bethesda’s E3 conference, takes place in a “time of madness” on the island of Black Reef.

12 Minutes is a game about a man trapped in a time loop

At its E3 press conference, Microsoft has revealed a fascinating and rather upsetting trailer for 12 Minutes, a game about a man trapped in a time loop.

Dying Light 2’s E3 trailer focuses on the story

Techland has been somewhat mum about their parkour-meets-zombies franchise for a while, but Microsoft’s E3 press conference broke the silence. Today’s big reveal focused on Dying Light 2’s story, which follows the protagonist Aiden Caldwell and the various factions he’s likely to encounter during the events of the game.

Your choices can wipe out entire settlements in Dying Light 2

Dying Light 2 is a very ambitious sequel. Its map, Techland tells us, is four times as big as its predecessor's and players will see about 50 per cent of the game's content in a single playthrough. The reason for this is that players will regularly have to make big decisions about the way the game's action unfolds - the consequences of those choices can be as far reaching as determining whether a character lives or dies, sometimes even determining whether you unlock an entire section of the map or not. Having seen about half an hour of the game in a presentation at E3, I'm very much intrigued.

With enormous 64-player battles, Chivalry 2 wants to be the new standard for medieval combat

We talk to Torn Banner Studios president about all the new features in Chivalry 2, including 64-player matches, horses, and its reworked combat.

Planet Zoo out in November, check out the fun E3 trailer

Frontier Developments showed the first gameplay trailer for Planet Zoo today and announced the release date.

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is a gorgeous, combo-heavy sidescroller

Also, when you're not beating up monsters it's a farming RPG, apparently.

Conan Chop Chop is real and it’s coming to consoles and PC

On April 1st Funcom announced Conan Chop Chop as an April Fools’ Day joke. But turns out, it’s a real game and it looks fun.

Borderlands 3 - Official "We Are Mayhem" Trailer | E3 2019

Answer the call and charge head-first into the mayhem as one of four badass new Vault Hunters, each with their own deep skill trees and insanely powerful abilities.

Zombie Army 4: Dead War – the demon Fuhrer’s undead army is back

Zombie Army Trilogy and Sniper Elite 4 studio Rebellion announced Zombie Army 4: Dead War today, and it’s a four-player cop-op zombie shooter experience.

Zombie Army 4: Dead War Gameplay Demo - E3 2019

Zombie Army 4: Dead War comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via the Epic Games Store in early 2020.

Nightmares come to life in new Remnant: From the Ashes gameplay trailer

A new gameplay trailer for Remnant: From the Ashes debuted at E3’s PC Gaming Show, and you can watch it below.

It’s official: Bleeding Edge is Ninja Theory’s next game

Technical alpha for multiplayer brawler begins June 27

Exclusive: Read Only Memories Sequel Announced

Since 2064: Read Only Memories launched in 2015, it has built momentum with subsequent console releases. This has allowed the niche point-and-click adventure game, which stood out for its a cool cyberpunk backdrop and intriguing characters, to gain a dedicated following, propelling it to over 200,000 copies sold. Now MidBoss is back to top its previous efforts with a sequel called Neurodiver.

EA Announces New EA Original Rustheart, A Game About Customizing and Befriending a Big Robot

At the top of a new video showcasing various small studios EA works with for its EA Originals program, was a striking image: a giant robot, and a kid climbing onto its shoulders. This, a gathering of press learns at a private EA Play 2019 event, is a brand new EA Original from developers Glowmade.

Watch the first trailer for Spiritfarer, a 2D adventure game, coming to Xbox Game Pass

The trailer didn’t tell us much, but the game looks beautiful

Microsoft unveiled the first look at Dragon Ball Z Kakarot which comes out next year

We finally have some details on the Dragon Ball Z action RPG

The Last Oasis pits giant walking sculptures against each other on a scorched Earth

The Last Oasis has our attention. The trailer for the post, post-apocalyptic survival MMO shows players working together to cross a scorched landscape. Their only means of locomotion are delicate, wind-powered land ships.

Rebellion reveals first trailer for Evil Genius 2 at E3 PC Gaming Show

Fifteen years after the original Evil Genius was released in 2004, Rebellion has finally unveiled the sequel to the cult-classic villain simulator. During the E3 PC Gaming Show on Monday afternoon, the developer showed off the first trailer for Evil Geniuses 2.

XSEED Games Will Release Granblue Fantasy Versus In North America

fzMTCYd.png

A North American Granblue Fantasy Versus release has just been confirmed. XSEED Games has announced it will bring Arc Systems Work’s PlayStation 4 fighter to the region. It also confirmed that the game will be a part of its E3 2019 lineup, which means people attending the event will find it at the XSEED Games booth between June 11-13, 2019.

Zelda-Esque Action Game Genshin Impact Is Coming To PC

Shanghai studio miHoYo has announced Genshin Impact, an open-world action game that takes place on the magical world of Teyvat.

Asia’s favorite FPS comes to consoles with Crossfire X

Crossfire X, an adaptation of Asia’s enormously popular first-person shooter Crossfire, is coming west and will hit consoles first on Xbox One in 2020.

Minecraft Dungeons out in spring 2020

Microsoft’s E3 presentation today gave us a new trailer for Minecraft Dungeons, which will be a dungeon-crawling game where players will be able to team up with friends to take on new challenges.

Microsoft Buys Psychonauts 2 Developer Double Fine Productions

Surprising the audience in attendance at its E3 2019 press conference (and basically everyone), Microsoft today announced that it has acquired Double Fine, the studio that made Psychonauts and is currently working on its sequel.

Double Fine is Joining Xbox Game Studios!

More answers to all your questions real soon - but the big one: Psychonauts 2 will still be coming to *ALL* promised platforms: PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, and of course - Xbox :)

Psychonauts 2 Reminds Us Why Double Fine is the Boss of Comedy Games

The Xbox and PS2 cult classic's spirit is alive and well in the modern generation.

‘Reverse horror game’ Carrion announced for consoles, PC

Publisher Devolver Digital and developer Phobia Game Studio have announced “reverse horror game” Carrion for consoles and PC. It will launch in 2020.

Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition and new campaign coming to Xbox

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition releases 2019 and will be available with Xbox Game Pass for PC.

Way to the Woods sends two deer on an adorable journey in 2020

The Miyazaki-inspired adventure game is finally finding its way home

Halo Infinite to launch alongside Project Scarlett late 2020

Halo Infinite launches alongside Project Scarlett late 2020, Microsoft has announced.

Gears 5 Coming Out On September 10

Are you ready to chainsaw some more Locusts and (hopefully) spelunk the innards of another giant worm? Well, good news: Gears 5 is coming out on September 10.

Gears 5

Despite its aggressive themes, visuals, and weapons, the Gears of War franchise has been defined by its defense. Whether you're talking the cover-based style of gameplay that makes you methodically navigate a battleground, or the pioneering Horde mode, the series often brings the enemies to you while you and your squadmates do your best to dig in and weather the storm. While many of those elements are present in Gears 5 through the campaign, Horde, and competitive multiplayer, developer The Coalition hopes to bring something unique to the franchise with a new co-op mode called Escape.

Maneater is an RPG where you take on the role of a Bull Shark

The newest trailer from the Tripwire Interactive-published shark RPG Maneater shows how you will progress from a baby Bull Shark into a massive beast of a fish.

Maneater interview - PC Gaming Show 2019

Learn more about the 'Shark-PG' from PC Gaming Show sponsor Tripwire. It's "hopefully" coming before next year's PC Gaming Show.

Battletoads is coming to Xbox Game Pass

Battletoads will be available on Xbox Game Pass, Microsoft has just confirmed at its E3 2019 conference.

CastleStorm II - Announce Trailer | PS4

Since 2013, Zen Studios’ CastleStorm has delighted millions of players with its unique medieval mix of tower defense, pointy projectiles and skull-crushing action. It all returns in CastleStorm II—with even more modes, more play styles, more mythical races and more…sheep.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 – E3 2019 Trailer | PS4

Welcome builders and heroes to Dragon Quest Builders 2! In a world where the evil Hargon has outlawed building, cooking, and the creation of all things, YOU must defy his dastardly decree and save the world!

Code Vein - E3 Release Date Announcement Trailer | PS4

On September 27th, 2019...Get ready to fight for survival as CODE VEIN launches on PS4! Create your own Revenant and unravel the secrets that hide in the shadows. Reserve your copy today and prepare to RISE

Ori and the Will of the Wisps now has a release date

Ori and the Will of the Wisps will release on February 11 2020. Microsoft confirmed the date at the Xbox E3 conference, and that the game will come to Xbox Game Pass at launch.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Is Actually Coming To The West Next Year

Rejoice, Dreamcast lovers. Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming to the West. The popular MMORPG has been frustratingly absent but will come to the Xbox in a free-to-play package in Spring 2020.

New Microsoft Flight Simulator Looks Uncannily Like Real Life

Announced today and releasing in 2020, the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator looks greater than fiction. Apparently, its hyper-realistic graphics are a product of AI technology.

Brigador's sequel will star some badass new mechs and let you blow shit up on foot

XG0w4W3.jpg

Brigador Killers will have a more fleshed-out narrative campaign, complete with comic book-style cutscenes.

Greedfall - E3 2019 Story Trailer | PS4

GreedFall, the latest RPG from Spiders, invites you to explore the magical island of Teer Fradee in its E3 Story Trailer. Emphasizing freedom and player choice, forge your own destiny when GreedFall releases in September 2019 on PlayStation 4.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair features 2.5D platforming and a new story

Overcooked and Worms series studio Team 17 and Playtonic Games have just dropped a trailer showcasing their new foray into platforming prettiness: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. Based on what the trailer reveals about the game, it looks set to offer something fun to the modern platformer – perhaps with a big pinch of nostalgia.

Pokémon Sword & Shield Introduces The Max Raid Battles As The Series’ First 4-Player Raid System

During today’s Pokémon Direct, we got a look at Pokémon Sword & Shield’s brand-new 4-player raid system called Max Raid Battles that allows up to four players to team up online or locally against giant “Dynamax Pokémon.”

FIFA 20 | Official Reveal Trailer ft. VOLTA Football

New FIFA 20 features volta football, a street style of soccer that has no boundary lines and even lets players bounce the ball off walls. Watch the full reveal here.

FIFA 20 Developers on Why Volta Won't Have Online Team Play, the Microtransactions Question, and More

"Story mode was always intended to be a trilogy," FIFA 20 producer Matthew Prior says of The Journey. The story mode that has been a large part of the last three FIFA games. "It was always intended to end."

The big FIFA 20 interview

"We don't think it's gambling, we think it's a fun form of engagement."

FIFA 20 Hands-on: Slower, But Perhaps Better

We try out this year's version of EA's popular soccer sim.

Madden 20 - Full Reveal Presentation | EA Play E3 2019

Get the inside scoop on all the new stuff coming to Madden NFL 20, straight from EA Play ahead of E3 2019.

Madden 20 EA Play 2019 Hands-On: 5 Observations and My Current Confidence Level

Madden 20 adds some new features to highlight the superstars, but is it enough?

Exclusive Hands-On With Strife In Darksiders: Genesis

Darksiders: Genesis is not Darksiders 4, and while that may be disappointing for those invested in the series’ ongoing story about an apocalypse triggered before doomsday and all the ramifications of such an event, there are still plenty of reasons to be excited about this new entry. It marks the first playable appearance of horseman Strife, and the game is being developed by Airship Syndicate, which marks the series’ official return to its original artist, Joe Madureira.

Darksiders Genesis

Playing Co-Op With War And Strife

Classic Spongebob Game Battle for Bikini Bottom Is Getting Remade

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom, released back in 2003 and very good for both the time and now, is being remade for the PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.

DESTROY ALL HUMANS REMAKE ANNOUNCED – E3 2019

Crypto has returned and he still hates Earthlings

Destroy All Humans! remake first gameplay

Publisher THQ Nordic and developer Black Forest Games debuted the first gameplay footage of the recently announced Destroy All Humans! remake during YouTube Live at E3 2019.

10 Minutes Of The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening On Switch

We were not able to try out the game’s newest feature, which was described in Nintendo’s E3 press release as follows

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics Official Reveal Trailer - E3 2019

The Netflix Dark Crystal series is being turned into a tactics video game this year.

Here Are All The Updates And Maps From Battlefield V's EA Play Presentation

Right after the Apex Legends bloc during EA Play, Battlefield V revealed new maps and updates coming alongside the Chapter 4 update starting on June 27th, and a tease for the upcoming Chapter 5.

EA Will Change Battlefield V Nazi Who Shared Name With Resistance Fighter

Battlefield V is changing the name of a purchasable skin for a German soldier after it came to light that the name historically belonged to a real-life German anti-fascist fighter. Oh, and EA wants you to know that he’s totally not a Nazi.

Apex Legends Season 2 Starts July 2, Includes Ranked Mode, New Weapon, New Legend

Apex Legends Season 2 is called “Battle Charge,” and it begins on July 2. Electronic Arts confirmed this date at EA Play this morning, where it revealed more details about Season 2 including a new character as well as a new weapon returning from Titanfall 2.

Hands-On With Apex Legend's New Character: How Wattson Will Shake Up Your Team Dynamic

Apex Legends has a new character coming next month, and she brings a nice spark to the defense lineup.

The Sims 4 Island Living coming this summer

Mermaids, dolphins, sunburns, and more coming to The Sims

Warframe teases ship-to-ship combat at PC Gaming Show, offers free Nekros Prime

With Tennocon on the horizon, Warframe is teasing some major updates and giving away some powerful gear.

Banjo-Kazooie announced for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Yes, this is really happening

State of Decay 2 is getting a new DLC expansion called Heartland

It has just been revealed at the Microsoft E3 conference that State of Decay 2 is getting a DLC expansion called Heartland. From the game’s trailer (included below) it looks set to add new characters, challenges, and other content to Undead Labs’ 2018 zombie survival game.

Lego coming to Forza Horizon 4 in new expansion

Microsoft’s racing game gets a little goofier

Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey’s discovery tour is coming this autumn and has quizzes now

D1lapHX.jpg

One of the coolest features of 2017’s Assassin’s Creed: Origins was its discovery tour – a mode in which all threats were removed and you could take guided tours around ancient Egypt to learn about its history. The same mode was promised for last year’s Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey, but has yet to arrive. Thanks to a chat with content director Maxime Durand, however, we now have a release window and a few more details.

Developing Hearts of Iron 4: the past, present, and future of gaming’s deepest WW2 sim

Paradox reflects on over three years of development, and looks forward to Korea and Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Division 2 Is Going Back To New York City

Just when we thought we were done scouring the streets of NYC, The Division 2 drags us back in. While the first and second episode updates for The Division 2 take players to the National Zoo and the Pentagon, the third episode brings players back to the Big Apple.

Rage 2 expansion Rise of the Ghosts announced

Bethesda has just announced a new expansion for Rage 2 called Rise of the Ghosts. It will introduce new features weekly, including new enemies such as a sand worm, pilotable mech, gameplay modes, story, an enemy faction, areas, weapons, and abilities.

Vermintide 2 – Versus is a new 4v4 mode and you can sign up for the beta

Vermintide 2 – Versus was announced as a new PvP mode coming to the Warhammer title today.

The Elder Scrolls Online’s Dragonhold DLC arrives later this year

The Elder Scrolls’ Season of the Dragon will conclude with the arrival of new DLC packages Scalebreaker and Dragonhold, set to arrive in August and Q4, respectively.

The Messenger free DLC ‘Picnic Panic’ launches July 11

The Messenger downloadable content “Picnic Panic” will launch for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC on July 11, publisher Devolver Digital and developer Sabotage Studio announced.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Re:Mind trailer shows playable Roxas, Aqua, and more

Square Enix gave Kingdom Hearts fans a look at the future of Kingdom Hearts 3’s Re:Mind downloadable content ahead of E3 2019, revealing that the add-on will include Roxas, Aqua, and Riku as playable characters, as well as a new Keyblade transformation for Sora, Oathkeeper.

GOG adds Diablo’s Hellfire expansion for free

Diablo: Hellfire is a semi-unofficial expansion for the original action-RPG, developed by Synergistic Software at the behest of publisher Sierra On-Line rather than Blizzard itself. The expansion was received well at the time, but Blizzard ignored its contents in every subsequent Diablo release and Hellfire has mostly been forgotten since – but today, it’s making a big comeback.

Why GOG Suddenly Fixed a 13-Year-Old 'Far Cry' Glitch

A modder helped GOG fix the bug Ubisoft introduced in 2006.

E3 2019: Shenmue 3, More Games Confirmed As Epic Store Exclusives

k9eaKsY.jpg

E3 2019 had an early morning start, with the PC Gaming Show kicking off at 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET / 6 PM BST (3 AM AET on June 11). With the PC Gaming Show hosted by Epic Games, the company has announced more than a dozen games will make their way to the Epic Games Store, some of which will (at least initially) be available as Epic Store exclusives.

Quite a few Epic Store 'exclusives' are surprisingly coming to the Microsoft Store

Exclusive may mostly mean 'not on Steam.'

Gearbox confirms Chris Hardwick will reprise former role for Borderlands 3

lcbxQ1z.jpg

Hardwick continues to find work even after abuse allegations

NINTENDO COMMENTS ON CRUNCH AND GAME DELAYS – E3 2019

O1bKQIl.jpg

Nintendo's focus will remain on its high quality and the health of its employees rather than rushing a game to market, even if that means a delay.

XSEED Games Removed The Trails Of Cold Steel Project Coordinator/Voiceover Director From The PlayStation 4 Version’s Credits

On June 7, 2019, it was discovered that the PlayStation 4 credits of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel had removed a former XSEED Games staff member who has been a part of The Legend of Heroes series since The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Brittany Avery, who worked on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PC versions of the game as a Product Coordinator, Marketing Assistant, Voiceover Director, ESRB Handler, and working on Quality Assurance, revealed that her name was absent from the credits on Twitter. This was in spite of the PlayStation 4 version of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel being nearly a direct port of the game, with only minor additions like more English voice acting, Japanese voice acting, and a graphical bump added.

Satisfactory sold over 500,000 copies on the Epic Store, says developer

After weeks of joking about low sales, Coffee Stain's community manager is setting the record straight.

AAA game downloads on the brink of overtaking physical in Europe

mjgDx6Q.jpg

Exclusive figures reveal rapid digitisation as consumers drop physical in favour or digital

Dr Disrespect's Twitch channel is down, reportedly for streaming E3's bathrooms

oAFy6fp.jpg

Only one type of stream is allowed in E3's bathrooms.

GameStop ‘Burns to the Ground’ and Analysts Fear No Rebound

WrvFADG.png

(Bloomberg) -- GameStop Corp. shares plummeted the most on record to their lowest since 2003 after the video-game retailer reported first-quarter revenue that missed expectations and halted its dividend, the latest red flag for a stock that has already cratered in 2019.

Esports News

South Korean Overwatch League Broadcast Apparently Omits Pride Day Festivities

eaESypm.png

If you tuned into the Overwatch League’s Friday games, you probably saw dozens of esports fans decked out in rainbow garb or flashing LGBTQ-themed signs as soon as the camera turned their way. It was Pride Day for the Overwatch League—a day that Overwatch publisher Blizzard put on for fans to “come together for diversity and inclusion,” they said in their announcement.

Content I found interesting this week (interviews, recommendations, think pieces, history, music, culture, design, art, documentaries, criticism, etc)

The story of the first E3

uXDDfOQ.jpg

How the 1995 inaugural happened, and how it almost didn’t

Witness Jonathan Blow

n67jcrj.jpg

God Bless Johnathan Blow, because it’s only when stupid men that have made important works come out and do the thing that creative greats should never do, that we’re able to understand how far we’ve been able to come without them.

Reboots and reimaginings

xdvqrWx.jpg

It’s 2019 and gaming’s getting pretty long in the tooth now – by gaming’s standards, anyway. New hardware and general technical advances mean last generation’s Triple-A show-stopper is today’s abandoned bargain bin fodder even if it was once paraded around as everyone’s award winning 10/10 Game of the Forever darling. So what can be done with these cast-off classics? For fondly-remembered titles that can’t be “HD’d” any more than they were last time or ported it to the 3DS/Vita/Switch with varying degrees of effort there’s only one option left – some sort of complete do-over.

Blizzard’s reveal of schoolgirl D.Va kicked off an Overwatch porn race

Overwatch skins fuel an economy of pornography

Preservationists Are Racing to Save Ouya's Games Before They Disappear

hJCGTo2.jpg

The doomed gaming platform's servers will shut down on June 25, meaning fans and preservationists have to take matters into their own hands to preserve its catalog.

How Games Are Taking Us Back to the Early Days of the Internet

yTps2TG.png

Weirdly enough, Hypnospace and Secret Little Haven both take place in 1999, and yet these two titles show just how radically different the web has been depending on who you are. While jobs like community moderator for streams and forums still exist, what Secret Little Haven depicts is sadly a bubble that can’t be un-popped. These bright, ultra-customizable user-friendly interfaces are no more. Even inside the fictional IRIS OS created by Simulacra’s in-game surveillance company, your chat messages are ominously preceded with a corporate trademark indicating the company’s name. It’s as though your data was always meant to be theirs, as though the bright, colorful operating systems of the past were just a dream, and this is the reality that was inevitable.

Metal Gear Solid Retrospective: 'You Enjoy All The Killing, That's Why'

uX1HhNR.jpg

Being a hero sucks, and yet, players couldn’t get enough.

Metal Gear has always been a series about impeding player progress. Its traps and enemies exist to ward off players. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake brought back returning characters and offered a new fortress, explicitly rejecting the notion that players could truly save the world. Metal Gear Solid leverages this impulse and turns it towards Snake himself. Whenever he succeeds, events conspire to immediately undercut that success. His (and the player’s) skills mean little in the face of scheming villains and politicians whose background machinations have rigged the game before the start.

Life Is Strange Has the Most Awkward, Relatable Sex Scene in a Video Game

F9XWVKW.jpg

This very specific brand of uncomfortable is what makes Life Is Strange tick, because it pulls from the lived experiences of people.

“Duke Nukem Forever and Ever,” by Reid McCarter

BsSFoXl.jpg

If a lot of the bullshit described above sounds familiar, it’s because videogames in general, including many of the best received among them, are vile for many of the same reasons that make the more easily derided Duke Nukem Forever so terrible. Far from an anomaly, it’s both the result of a ‘90s context where shock humour proliferated and, in its way, an exaggerated portrait of the sewer current running just beneath—or erupting in occasional, mostly mil-sim geysers—of so many celebrated mainstream games since.

PATHOLOGIC 2 AND WHAT GAMES CAN LEARN FROM LOW-TECH ART

ZkeiTXT.jpg

But what really strikes me about Pathologic 2 isn't its difficulty. It's that stage. It's the theatricality of it all, and what theatricality can do for a game like this.

'Don't Wake the Night' Tackles Morality Better Than Any AAA Game

GAK2FU0.png

Inspired by Paraguayan folklore, it's a game about the intersection of community and consequences.

In Don't Wake The Night, You Have The Power Of A God Without The Omniscience

Video games tend to give players tons of control and information, allowing them to tackle dangerous enemies or change where stories go next. Don’t Wake the Night is a new indie game that opts for something different. Playing the role of a detached spirit, you mostly observe and listen, unraveling character backgrounds and relationships before rendering justice.

Opinion: Observation's AI is a brilliant narrative device

Brx4FEL.jpg

There are so many ways to describe the brilliance of No Code’s Observation, but the strangest may be the most apposite: it turns everything inside out. Observation’s inversions are masterstrokes and they all center around the game’s heart and soul, your character SAM, the AI for the game’s titular international space station.

A Plague Tale: Innocence versus the Black Death

6RT96H5.png

It seems clear that a game in which our protagonist randomly contracts a debilitating and deadly disease would be almost unplayable. A Plague Tale opts for a different approach and tries to make the danger more graspable by materialising the invisible foe in the shape of swarms of rats. In the game, we are told that it is rat bites that transmit the plague, but the only real danger for us as players is the very direct one of being swarmed and devoured within seconds. If the deluge of rats is meant to work as a kind of metaphor or stand-in for the horror and deadliness of the Black Death, it's not entirely successful. If anything, the overwhelming presence of the rats distracts from the plague instead of highlighting it. Then again, the impulse to make the plague more graspable by associating it with 'vermin' is not a new one.

Kids Is an Experimental Look into Group Dynamics and Power

Kids is an interactive animation by Michael Frei and Mario von Rickenbach. Made by the same people who created Plug & Play, Kids follows a similar, simple design. This time the animation follows a large group of people as they move this way and that. You can lead a person to follow the group or move against them, yet no matter where each person goes, the crowd always leads back to the giant black pit, waiting for you to push them all in.

Gorogoa - Story Analysis | BoukenJima

Few games of the past decade has been as important to me as Gorogoa. It's a beautiful game with a powerful message. So here is my attempt at a full story analysis and an in-depth interpretation of what all of its imagery means.

The Art and Science of Game Feel | How Game Designers Juice Games with Mechanics,Pacing and Effects

Game Feel is that elusive property Game designers use to juice their games. In this video, I get into the art and science of game feel, and how Video games have evolved over time in using mechanics, pacing, systems and effects to craft a sense of visceral engagement.

Rationalizing Brutality: The Cultural Legacy of the Headshot

“You're not understanding, are you? The brain does the thinking. The meat."
“Thinking meat! You're asking me to believe in thinking meat!"
"Yes, thinking meat! Conscious meat! Loving meat. Dreaming meat. The meat is the whole deal!"

Gato Roboto's Animation

A super cute meowtroidvania game released on Switch and PC last week, and I've been looking forward to it for ages because it looks and feels awesome to play.

https://www.patreon.com/DanRoot

The making of Star Fox

Want to support this channel? https://www.patreon.com/strafefox

The Rise and Fall of F.E.A.R.

Please consider supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GVMERS

A Critique of A Plague Tale: Innocence

Ferrari: A Gaming Overview

Written, Voiced, and Edited by Lucas Raycevick

Support the Channel at: https://www.patreon.com/raycevick or http://paypal.me/LucasRaycevick

Building a Pirate's Paradise: The AI of Sea of Thieves (Part 1) | AI and Games

In the first of a four-part series I go behind the scenes of online pirate adventure game 'Sea of Thieves'. Including interviews with several gameplay programmers at Rare who worked on everything from mission construction, server balancing for AI characters, AI navigation on-land and at sea, plus the inner workings of the skeletons, pigs, chickens, snakes, sharks, megaladons, krakens and haunted ships.

http://www.patreon.com/ai_and_games

How Subnautica Succeeded Without Weapons | War Stories | Ars Technica

Charlie Cleveland, design director for Subnautica, goes behind the scenes of the game's development and explains how they crafted an exciting and dangerous experience without allowing the player to fight back. Charlie shows some early prototypes for Subnautica, and describes why they decided to create a game with primarily non-violent gameplay.

Things I found entertaining throughout the week relating to the game industry

The 10 keys to a perfect E3 press conference (or drinking game)

E3 press conferences are a theatrical marvel. Elegant. Charming. Full of gaffes. But what makes them so special? What are the things you need to create a perfect E3 showcase? And — once you figure out what those things are — could you use them for a drinking game?