• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Legolas_Katarn

This Week In Gaming 1-7-20

1 post in this topic

S9BDiel.png

James Frierson on the work behind the magic and when your passion becomes a product, Noclip releases their documentary on The Outer Wilds, Chariot Rider discusses using games for escapism and the studies researching the healthy and unhealthy effects escapism can have, Errant Signal on the recent Star Wars games and hoping that Star Wars starts to leave nostalgia and iconography behind in the future for more interesting works, Ian Hamilton looks at game accessibility quotes of 2019, Gamespot interviews Control's game director to learn how its most ambitious level was created, Phillip Moyer looks into how independent game stores survive, Tom James looks at a genre defying game for its 25th anniversary Konami’s Tokimeki Memorial, part five of Codex Entry's Persona 5 analysis, and more.

Gaming News (Announcements, previews, release dates, interviews and writing on upcoming games, DLC and game updates, company and developer news, country news, tech, mods)

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls To Explore the Depths on PC on January 15

Yesterday, Xseed revealed that Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls will release on PC via Steam and Humble Bundle on January 15, 2020.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot video gives you an idea of what to expect

Here’s a new Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot video to hold you over until release.

Langrisser I & II Gets a Sneak Peek at Latest English Version Gameplay

NIS America recently livestreamed a sneak peek at Langrisser I & II‘s English version featuring localization editor Jon Chang.

Manipulate the politics of a country in FMV game Not For Broadcast

In Not For Broadcast, you are given the power of controlling a national TV station at the time of a highly public political scandal. You only came to the studio to clean up, but now you've been thrust into the role of production director for the National Nightly News Team — that's quite a big promotion.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum confirmed for Xbox Series X and PS5

yT03CkB.jpg

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum has been confirmed for Xbox Series X and PS5.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions Is Great On Switch

KksnVQz.png

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore arrives on the Nintendo Switch on January 17, bringing the excellent Wii U role-playing game hardly anyone played to a much larger audience. While the Shin Megami Tensei/Fire Emblem crossover has more than enough style and charm to stand on its own, Atlus added a bit more story and a few additional features to sweeten the pot. It’s a very sweet pot now.

Dreams goes gold

If you missed it, watch the latest trailer here.

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories

NIS America today released a new trailer for Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories, which is slated to release stateside for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC on April 7. Holding true to the series' history, the new footage for Summer Memories shows players will be making allies and meaningful choices in the face of disaster.

StarCrossed Trailer

Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel

The Mother series, known as EarthBound outside of Japan, stopped with Mother 3 in 2006, and only the second game was released internationally. That hasn't stopped fans from carrying a torch for it over the years, with one group deciding to stop waiting for Nintendo and create their own sequel, which has now transformed into a separate game with a new name, Oddity.

Kentucky Route Zero Will Finally End (And Come To Switch) Later This Month

On release day, Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition will launch on Steam, and anyone who has the Kentucky Route Zero season pass on Steam will receive the fifth and final act on that day.

Escape from Tarkov not getting playable female characters despite dev retracting initial statement

4JhvfPf.jpg

This all started in a 2016 interview with Wccftech where a Battlestate representative said the team “came to the conclusion that women can’t handle that amount of stress” as the reason for snubbing female characters.

Crytek seeks to dismiss its own Star Citizen lawsuit until Squadron 42 launches

HLuNK7C.jpg

Creator of CryEngine believes Star Citizen's single-player game will be delayed past June, moves for October trial

Platinum Games receives capital investment from Tencent Holdings to expand into self-publishing

DJR57Ki.jpg

Bayonetta 3 and Babylon’s Fall developer Platinum Games has received a capital investment from Tencent Holdings as a basis for partnership, the company announced.

Riot feared angering gamers with mobile and card game announcements

After the reception Diablo Immortal and Artifact got, it’s hard to blame them.

Fantasy Flight's Video Game Studio Is Closing

V6dv7Wy.png

In 2017 Fantasy Flight, a juggernaut in the board game world thanks to stuff like Game of Thrones and Star Wars, opened a video game studio. Barely two years later, Fantasy Flight Interactive is closing its doors.

One of America's Largest Unions Gets Serious About Organizing Game Developers

7tZOt8W.jpg

The Communications Workers of America (CWA) union has embarked on an ambitious national campaign to transform the tech and game industries for workers.

Esports

The competitive Pokemon scene can’t agree on Dynamaxing, but thinks the National Dex restriction is good

08Y3gza.jpg

With every new Pokemon game comes new changes, giving each generation its distinctive identity and heavily shaping the competitive Pokemon metagame for years to come.

The challenges and advantages of casual approachability in Brawl Stars esports

PCXahhr.jpg

A visit to the World Finals in South Korea.

Content I found interesting this week (interviews, recommendations, think pieces, history, music, culture, design, art, documentaries, criticism, etc)

Games are Not Magic

XPsTFbc.jpg

However, one of the lessons we learn growing up is that matter cannot be created or destroyed. Santa Clause had no part in the development, sale, and delivery of Spider-Man for the Nintendo 64; Mom and Dad had to work, get paid, budget, plan, travel, and purchase that cherry-red cartridge so that I could mash C buttons and web-up thugs into squirming cocoons. All things begin and end with labor, even magical video games.

Pauline Jacquey’s World Tour: The Unlikely Journey of Ubisoft’s Punk Nomad Fixer

ThZ5kuD.jpg

She worked in six countries, trekked across two continents, and nearly gave up everything after burning out. Now she’s finally found her calling.

Seven Games That Were Almost My Game Of The Decade

JLjygND.jpg

When people ask me to name my game of the decade, I pause. There are so many. I took away hard-won lessons from some of them, but over time, I’ve come to realize that those lessons were probably wrong.

Extra Ball: How Visual Pinball Wizards Bring Back the Classics

1xhcLd8.jpg

For this community of enthusiasts, preserving pinball history in virtual form is an intensive—and legally gray—labor of love.

The Cost Of Being A Woman Who Covers Video Games

Now that it’s 2020, I keep thinking about how it felt to be a woman writing about gender in video games back in 2010.

Surviving GameStop: How Passion, Community, and Novelty Keep Indie Game Stores Alive

LUlWCLQ.jpg

In an era dominated by chains and digital distribution, is there still room for the little guys?

Game accessibility quotes of 2019

dvAfE0u.jpg

Below are a few things gamers and developers have said over the year that stood out for me, covering those topics but also some others too. It's a long page, but an easy read. Some of these quotes are inspiring, some are thought provoking, some have practical advice – and some are a wake-up call.

How Unity Of Command 2 balances game design with military history

vk7HU38.jpg

The first Unity Of Command was designed for the open steppes of the Eastern Front. There, the major battles were about manoeuvre, with tank units chasing and covering miles of ground for their objectives, and lines of infantry moving to counter and support. The steppes were perfect for UoC’s unique focus on maintaining your army’s supply lines.

25 Years With an Invisible Elephant in the Room

VSFAv2e.png

It’s about time we in Western circles more widely grappled with the place that historical dating sims inhabit within this canon. In the remaining days of this year, one already rife with significant anniversaries in video game history, there’s one paradigm-defining entry in the genre that turned 25 this past May, yet has lamentably gone ignored despite its sheer presence in its homeland and its immense legacy remaining in many of today’s chart-topping hits.

How Age of Empires 2 got some Scottish kids into RTS

EyqKiPU.jpg

Here's a question: How do you get a bunch of disillusioned kids in the arse end of Scotland into real time strategy games? I doubt it's a question the creators of Age of Empire 2 ever asked themselves but nonetheless, they provided a definitive answer. Now I can't help but wonder as I play through the recently released Definitive Edition, are there games that could manage similar feats? Better ones?

'Sayonara Wild Hearts' and the Masks We Wear to Protect Ourselves

VHcBZqq.png

In a year of personal change, a video game pop album helped me understand how to move forward.

Life is Strange 2: Validating the Pain of Being Human

YbzIp8y.jpg

It’s been incredibly helpful that Life is Strange 2 is also angry as hell. Like Parasite, my favorite movie of 2019 and one of my favorite films ever, there’s an intense rage simmering underneath the empathy that ultimately prevails. I say this empathy prevails only in the sense that it rings genuine and true to the experiences of the undervalued. It’s an empathy that shows nobody actually wins in the end because this world isn’t made for people like us to win, and it’d only be irresponsible to whitewash the truth and pretend otherwise. Neither Life is Strange 2 nor Parasite are particularly grandiose stories but both are masterfully told. And maybe the most important stories to tell of the world we live in today are no longer the ones that offer escapism but instead the ones that commit the bold, fantastical, and often unfathomable rebellion of giving a voice to the people whose voices society never gives a shit about.

Persona 5 Analysis [Part 5]: This is Totally Fine. // Codex Entry

this game is haruible haha the commodification of rebellion routinely undermines sincere political movements that actually seek to have beneficial impact on the world for the sake of churning a profit by selling people the illusion of aiding in social change be sure to buy my Phantom Thieves Brand Masks to learn more

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/codexentry

Nier Retrospective | A Difference of Perspective (Part 2)

Part 2 of my Nier Retrospective, look at the themes of the game, and trying to maintain my sanity in the process.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Foxcade

The Magical Other World: Understanding the Nature of Escapist Play

Escapism is a common coping method to deal with the stress of life.  But is it healthy?  In this video, I explore the phenomenon of escapism in gaming.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=14052600

What Minecraft Is Like For Someone Who Doesn't Play Games

This past year, my wife made the mistake of taking an interest in my hobby, and instead of just letting her play games for fun, I figured it'd be more interesting to chronicle her journey of figuring out how to play video games. So, this is a continuation of those experiments where I look into what Minecraft is like for someone who doesn't play games.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/razbuten

Star Wars: The Franchise Strikes Back

I looked at Star Wars way way back in 2013, but I thought (given all of the Star Wars stuff that's come out in the intervening years!) maybe it was time to look back again? Or maybe that's a bad idea...

Support the show on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/errantsignal

Indiewatch: Top 10 "Don't Miss" Indie Games of December 2019

Videogames & IRL Politics: The Decade's 5 Most Important Developments

Support Left Left Up (and my other rad projects) on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/marijamdidLLU

How Death Stranding Became My Favourite Game

Here's my pretty chunky analysis and discussion of Death Stranding, a game that managed to exceed my expectations and become my favourite game of all time :) Please be aware that there are SPOILERS in this video.

All background music is from the Death Stranding score.

How Control's Most Ambitious Level Was Created | Audio Logs

The Ashtray Maze is Control's standout level: a motel that twists and turns around you, backed by an unforgettable soundtrack. Game director Mikael Kasurinen describes where the idea for the maze came from, and how the team at Remedy implemented something so ambitious and unique.

History Respawned: Assassin's Creed II

Bob talks with Dr. Anne Proctor about Assassin's Creed II. Topics include Renaissance Florence, the Medici family, Leonardo da Vinci, popular historical fiction, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Please consider supporting us on Patreon! www.patreon.com/historyrespawned

The Making of Outer Wilds - Documentary

Become a PATRON to unlock more videos https://www.patreon.com/noclip

We talk to the developers at Mobius Digital Games about the design of their breakthrough hit - Outer Wilds.

Things I missed from previous weeks

Dear Player: I love you, let’s talk

okDPNTF.png

A love letter from a game designer to all players