• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Themurloc

Firefall (official poll re-request. Now out of Beta)

44 posts in this topic

Indeedy.

Just a headsup to anyone getting it... There are currently some server overload, since the floodgates have been opened. You do get in eventually, but expect a bit of waiting and maybe lag once you get in.

But while you are waiting, just remember this...

You did not pay 55 euro, or 80 euro to sit and watch "connection error " messages, while your 30 day free game time is being eaten away without actually playing, and the game wont be asking for 12,95 euro later, if you wish to continue playing.

:D

its free now, you only had to pay if you wanted an early access starter pack

I was doing missions at the Hydro Core, and some guy kept dropping squad thumpers over and over. It was awesome! There must've been at least 10 people participating, Chosen drop pods everywhere, it was really difficult even for how many of us were there! And then the Chosen would deploy shields, people would go down, and just chaos everywhere, but it was great!

I love how open this game is! You can be doing missions, and just stop at a crashed thumper on the way, or have other players help you take out critters or fulfill mission objectives! Haven't played any other RPG's where I could do that, and the random events you can encounter keep things interesting! I would love to see the Angry Army just go all out, especially against Titans when more are released!

I'd advise not going into this game. The guns don't feel powerful, and the game is incredibly easy. Me and one other guy were playing it, and were able to handle pretty much anything in the level 21-24 area. And, we're level 7. The only enemies who have ever given us any trouble are the two or three times we've come across gun using enemies. Every other time, we were just hopping around, literally never taking enough damage to be in danger of death. 

And the Optimization is just plain atrocious. The game was barely running at a playable framerate when I was on the minimum settings. I couldn't open my internet browser to do so much as look at my email while waiting for the person I was playing with was AFK. Because if I tried to just alt-tab in. It was like ten frames per second. 

And my PC isn't amazing, but it's okay. It can handle Titanfall on medium texture resolution with shadows, lighting, effects, water, ragdolls, impact marks, and some other stuff at max. And, I can handle Skyrim with HD texture mods and the such. So, it is a problem with the optimization. 

I'd advise not going into this game. The guns don't feel powerful, and the game is incredibly easy. Me and one other guy were playing it, and were able to handle pretty much anything in the level 21-24 area. And, we're level 7. The only enemies who have ever given us any trouble are the two or three times we've come across gun using enemies. Every other time, we were just hopping around, literally never taking enough damage to be in danger of death. 

And the Optimization is just plain atrocious. The game was barely running at a playable framerate when I was on the minimum settings. I couldn't open my internet browser to do so much as look at my email while waiting for the person I was playing with was AFK. Because if I tried to just alt-tab in. It was like ten frames per second. 

And my PC isn't amazing, but it's okay. It can handle Titanfall on medium texture resolution with shadows, lighting, effects, water, ragdolls, impact marks, and some other stuff at max. And, I can handle Skyrim with HD texture mods and the such. So, it is a problem with the optimization. 

Lemme get this straight: You played to level 7 in an mmo and thought "well that's enough to form a completely accurate opinion of this game, it sucks"?

It's the noob zone, its supposed to be easy.

As for the optimization issues, I never had any problems like that even before I got myself a good gaming rig. There might be something in your settings that you missed which is eating up your frames.

Lemme get this straight: You played to level 7 in an mmo and thought "well that's enough to form a completely accurate opinion of this game, it sucks"?

It's the noob zone, its supposed to be easy.

As for the optimization issues, I never had any problems like that even before I got myself a good gaming rig. There might be something in your settings that you missed which is eating up your frames.

The person I was with, we ran as far as the game would let us. We literally just kept running into we were inside the cloud wall of death. Even doing quests in the higher level areas was so easy that it was boring. (And I seriously doubt they're going to dramatically change the gunplay mechanics after you reach a certain level. And I felt that the gunplay was boring.)

And, we went into areas where every single enemy had a skull instead of a level. We were still just rolling over everything. Just as two people at level 7. And even if we were the best people in the universe at shooters, the RPG mechanics of the game should have made that not possible to just roll over almost everything. 

We were able to pretty easily take out one of the giant cthulhu mollusk things. We got downed a couple times, but were able to revive the other. Even with a bunch of those little critters it spawned running around.

The level scaling isn't as significant in pve since the original build for the game during beta had a heavy focus on horizontal progression instead of vertical progression like in most MMOs. This means that a low level character can still do high level content, but will have a more difficult time doing so, and leveling up does less in the way of giving access to more content via flat power increases per level, and more more in the way of allowing you greater flexibility on how to approach said content.

For the launch they drastically changed this to feel more like a traditional MMO, which I personally disagree with but have no major problems with at the same time, but as you've discovered, it hasn't been done away with completely since a lot of what contributed to the horizontal progression was the core mechanics of the combat, which didn't change much.

I don't understand. People gave ESO so much crap for blocking low levels from exploration, and when a game finally comes along to offer greater freedom of exploration, it's frowned upon for being too easy.

Also your combat options open up quickly from leveling up, My characters from beta were saved in launch, so I don't know what the minimum level is to unlock all your abilities, but if you think the combat is boring, then you probably haven't unlocked very many of them at level 7.

I'd also like to reiterate that everything from level 1 to 24 is the noob content and is supposed to be easy. I'm not surprised you were able to stay competitive with level 20 ish mobs while playing in a group. I'd recommend that if you're gonna play the game in a squad, try doing squad based content. Anything marked on the map that has a small icon of 3 little stick figure people on the top of it, that's a group activity. Also from what you described of your fight with that megalus, it doesn't exactly sound like you're "rolling over everything"

I also doubt that you were doing quests in the higher level areas, since you have to fit the level range for said area to pick quests up off the job board (which are much more difficult than fighting randomly spawned enemies in the world).

Look, don't get me wrong, you're more than welcome to not like the game, but what I take issue with is that you're trying to advise people not to play it after only having played to level 7 yourself.

Just the random quests that pop up. But two people. And with how long it takes to level up(With leveling taking more xp for each level.) it seems like the, "It gets good after 20 hours argument." and, the highest level area we were able to find was 21-24. 

And, also first impressions mean a lot. If when you load up a game, you can barely make it run on settings that make it look like something that a PS2 could run, it doesn't give you much reason to want to keep playing. (And my system while not the greatest, isn't so weak for that to be a problem.) 

And, I was saying that I think the AJSA should not officially support the game. As from my experience in it, the game has not been enjoyable. 

Also, I have three of my four abilities already. The game has never been at a point where I needed to use them. And, I will still say that the gunplay is not good. As the assault I have a giant laser grenade launcher thing. With how enemies just fall over when I kill them, instead of being sent flying even a little bit, it doesn't leave a lot of desire to keep playing. 

And, the guy I was playing with and I are going to keep playing. To see if there is anything in the later on areas that are more interesting/engaging. We aren't giving up after quite so low level stuff. But, if it doesn't get better(And by better I mean harder. Because... seriously. So easy ATM.)  I will not be engaged. Let me put it this way, I do not enjoy Dark Souls. This game was so easy, that it made me want to go and play Dark Souls, just for a challenge. 

have it your way. Just saying, I haven't played any other MMOs that are any harder.

In my experience with other games. When the enemies have skulls instead of actual levels, you're pretty boned. Because they are just that much higher level than you. I mean, the one time I tried WoW, if I went into an area more than two levels beyond my own, I was screwed. 

well now we're just talking in circles. Let's just agree to disagree. I honestly think Firefall is much more deserving of an official army than SWTOR is, yet it made it in the polls. (no offense, swtor fans, your game is still deserving of it, just not as much)

Considering Firefall is completely free to play, that alone make it worth just checking out. If people dont like it, all cools, they can just uninstall it again, only having lost a bit of time.

Like I've already posted, atleast this game does not cost you 55 euro, or 80 euro if you want the race locked behind a paywall, and later demands a 12,95 euro per month.

But yes, Firefall still need to be better optimized, but I'm running with Very High > Ultra settings in fullscreen windowed mode, and are able to browse the net just fine on the 2nd screen.

Sure when, running a youtube video on 1080p fullscreen, the FPS will go down. I have yet to experience a game that did not do that.

Firefall do suffer from sudden FPS drop however. A minor annoyance, that can be fixed with a quick reboot of the game.

The Job Board quests can become boring, no doubt. I only use them if I'm soloing. Otherwise, I try to squad up as much as possible, to do mission instances, Sqaud based Ares missions, or just Squad thumping.

Enemy AI does need some work, since I can usually just stand on a rock or roof, and barely get hit, depending on the enemy.

But try call down a Squad Thumper a couple of times, until the Chosen droppods arrives, and I'll guarentee you are in for one hell of a fight.

I've already lost 1 squad thumper in the level 1-5 area, with 4 players. We just could not defeat the chosens, and died before saving the thumper.

I'm not trying to defend the flaws in Firefall, but I still think its a good game, thats worth checking out.

Its by far a perfect and finished game, but still very playable and enjoyable. I usually set very high standards for my MMO's, but there is just something about this game I enjoy. Just like I did with Defiance.

I agree that the abilities aren't used very much, since I don't find myself using them much, but most everything else works fine for me. The argument that enemies don't fly off when you shoot them, I like it better this way, cause you can injure yourself from the blast if they get too close instead of keeping them at bay and killing them from a distance; maybe you should play sniper if you want to kill things from a distance.

As for missions, since I've always been a campaign-specific player, I tend to do singleplayer instead of multiplayer. And you can complete all the missions in an area as well, and move on to the next once that's done. And there's also all the level-specific campaign missions, which add a lot of story to the game, cause really, what's a game without a story?

If the game gets boring, just switch to another class and see what that's like, or if you want more challenge go to the other zones on Earth. I'm level 14 with my assault, and have been playing it since I started, and I haven't become bored of it yet.

Hey I'm new to the AJSA but I would still like to add my 2 cents to this topic.

I played Firefall with a friend to check it out. But since the AJSA wants to bring gamers together and improve the current games (reason I joined).

I don't think supporting Firefall would be the right move, this game is so boring and dull. It just falls in the same mistakes most if not all MMO's are making.

in the intro the dipict you as this awsome soldier that is supposed to save the universe and yet the 1st 4 hours of the game you are helping mothers find childeren that are hunting eggs that you have to return. it's basicly run simulator 2.0 (since ESO was 1.0). and like they said it doesn't have that much "army" potential.

I wouldn't recommend this game.

Seksy

Hey I'm new to the AJSA but I would still like to add my 2 cents to this topic.

I played Firefall with a friend to check it out. But since the AJSA wants to bring gamers together and improve the current games (reason I joined).

I don't think supporting Firefall would be the right move, this game is so boring and dull. It just falls in the same mistakes most if not all MMO's are making.

in the intro the dipict you as this awsome soldier that is supposed to save the universe and yet the 1st 4 hours of the game you are helping mothers find childeren that are hunting eggs that you have to return. it's basicly run simulator 2.0 (since ESO was 1.0). and like they said it doesn't have that much "army" potential.

I wouldn't recommend this game.

Seksy

You are pretty much spot on, when it comes to the quests from the Job Boards... I think Red5 added this job board into the game close to the release, and they have recieved a lot of flak for it.

Thing is, there are supposed to be theese huge Chosen invasions all over the place, even in the starter areas. They are just not happening right now, and we are waiting for news about it.

You can read about it in this thread on the official game forums:

http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/this-is-what-we-miss.4627021/

Right now, the game is a very long and dry tutorial until 25, when you can finally get a mount and enter Sertao to experience the OCT event, wich is really nice and what the game is supposed to be like.

If you dont like it now, I suggest putting it on hold until the next (first I think) big patch comes out, and hopefully it will have changed to the better.

I do hear many good things about the high level area, Devil's Tusk, being very fun to be in. But ofcourse, that is many levels to go through, before seeing that.

The game's main problem is that it was pushed out early by investors, They didn't really get a chance to test out the current build in beta, so it has many bugs and flaws yet to be fixed, but It was amazing before the patch, and functioned mostly bug free, so I strongly believe that in one or two patches it will be even better than it was before, and even as the game is right now, is more deserving of an official presence than some other MMOs that have passed a vote for it.

I can kinda confirm what DK said. Red 5 is getting a lot of flak for moving the game's focus so heavily towards job boards, whereas before it was on dynamic events. Unfortunately they drastically reduced the frequency of all sorts of dynamic events in the game such as chosen attacks on towns, and ares missions, and even removed some VERY fun events completely, such as Chosen Death squads, where a squad of chosen would randomly target a player in the world who would be marked on the maps of nearby players, and send a squad of chosen to kill the player which consisted of several regular units as well as a boss unit who was a tough cookie.

The biggest loss, however, were the invasion events. DK mentions OCT, which is an event in the lvl 25-37ish zone where the chosen launch a full on assault on a specific town in the area, which makes for some amazing experiences when it happens. Back in beta, however, this kind of thing was a part of Coral Forest. Every once in a while the chosen would invade either Thump Dump, or Sunken Harbor, and it would give a zone-wide alert requesting assistance from every available pilot. Losing this event actually had some major consequences, such as one that is in place for OCT being that you lose SIN support for the area around the town, and lose the xp bonus that town provided for controlling it, but something the OCT event doesn't do which was a consequence of failing an invasion was actually losing the town, and it would become engulphed in the melding for a couple hours. OCT, on the other hand, is a town which only has purpose for this event, and there's nothing in it to really lose, besides the XP bonus. The invasions were removed because it wasn't very "noob friendly" but seeing all the complaints from people saying the noob zone is too easy and boring makes it painfully evident that this was far from the case.

So basically even veteran beta players are giving red 5 a hard time for changing the game in this way, so I wouldn't expect it to be that boring for very long. Even I give tons of feedback on the firefall forums, and while it may seem like im a fanboy on this site, that's just because I'm trying to sell the idea of this game to you guys. It needs people playing it if it's ever gonna go back to its former glory, and seeing as one of the AJSA's main goals is to make games better, this is the best community I can think of to try to get into this game.

We gotta practice what we preach or else we're no different than any other boring multi-game community.

Red 5 has been known to make massive changes to their game, as is evidenced by the most recent patch, so we definitely have the power to make Firefall better.

They even have a whole page dedicated to user feedback

http://feedback.firefallthegame.com/forums/115461-firefall-beta-feedback

Edited by Themurloc

A HUGE patch have been deployed today, with a TON of fixes, tweaks and additions.

http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/patch-notes-for-v1-0-1791.4668921/

Visit the link above to read all about it. Here is just a fraction of it:

Patch Highlights

• We’ve increased the amount of dynamic spawns to help the world feel more alive.
  • We’ve reviewed and updated the Dragonfly’s Healing Ball and Healing Pillar abilities.
  • Nighthawks now deal headshot damage to all enemies.
  • Player summoned deployables (Turrets, stations, etc.)now have increased health pools.
  • Players can now have multiple sentinel pods.
  • Added player spawn rooms to Tecumseh Airbase and FOB Sagan.
  • Epic resources are now available in Broken Peninsula.
  • Numerous ARES Job fixes as well as other bug fixes and polish.
  • Hardcore Blackwater Anomaly has been re-enabled.
Themurloc likes this

I recently made a post on the forums attempting to bring to light the flaws brought forward with the launch patch (1.0). You can see it, and contribute your own thoughts on the matter Here.

This game has tons of unfulfilled potential, and It just needs to last long enough to get the changes needed to fulfill that potential.

The recent patch was a solid step in the right direction, but much more needs to happen for this game to be successful, and we can help.

I am going to download Firefall tomorrow on steam, I would like to see firefall support by the angry army