• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

4 posts in this topic

I was thinking about picking up the new FF7 Remake but I was not sure if it is worth the price. Can anyone who has played the game let me know if the game is good and worth a buy? Also I know that the game is episodic and that the ending of the game is not the ending of FF7. I was just wondering if you would buy a part 2 if or when it comes out?

Thanks,

-Rojo 

Rojo,

I would have to give this game 2 different scores based on if you have played the the original or not.  

If you played the original, I give this a 5/10.  If you haven't played the original I give it a 7/10.  In either case, I would say it borders on a "must play" *but expect issues/grievances.  The good parts are REALLY GOOD.  The bad parts are REALLY BAD.  As is always the case, ask 20 people, you will get 20 different answers.  This is just my take.  Some of my points are a little vague because I don't want to give away and spoilers.

Pros

• The game is beautiful.  11/10
  • The character dialogue and banter is fantastic. 11/10
  • Voice acting is great
  • Character management and customization is great
  • Sound track is very good
  • General story writing is good
  • About half of the boss fights are good

Cons

• They have tweaked/changed major plot points.  If you are new to the game, you won't know any better.  If you are a vet from the original, points will make you mad!!
  • The camera.  It constantly gets stuck, put in weird places, you have to fight it all the time... etc
  • General Combat is pretty "meh" due to camera, getting crowd control locked at points, mobs getting in behind you and you can't see them etc
  • About half of the boss fights flat out suck.  Some of them are exceedingly frustrating due to the mechanics and are very "rock, paper, scissors" mechanics.  The original had that but not to this extent.  Some of the fights are overly scripted, to the point where you MUST do 'X' to beat it.  Damage check points cause you to blow abilities that waste your resources eg. Boss is at 51% and there is a minor cut scene at 50% (you don't know that going into the fight), you stagger the boss, blow all your big abilities that would do massive damage.  Doesn't matter, boss only drops to 50% and you have wasted all those resources.  This happens A LOT in the later bosses.  
  • The game is not the complete FF7 story.  I get some of the reasons as to why they did this but I have to dock points because it is not the whole story. We don't know when the next one will be out and we still don't know how they are going to import (and if) your data from 1 "episode" to the next.
  • Some of the sub quests feel like "busy" work and aren't super engaging.  Some are just annoying.  I would normally give a pass but SQEX has made a couple MMO's, they know better.
  • There's a bit of SJW stuff going on in the game, that's all I'm gonna say on it.
Rojo_The_Great likes this

Okay, I appreciate the effort put into your response. I have never played Final Fantasy 7 before so I would be a newbie to the game. In fact, the only Final Fantasy game I have played is 15 and I thought the game was pretty good. I think based off of your analysis, I will probably pick up the game. I really like the banter in 15 and if the dialogue between characters is as charming as that, then I think I will get enjoyment out of the game.