• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

It's that time again: best game of 2020 time!

7 posts in this topic

Happy new year everyone! We made it past 2020, and let's hope that 2021 will be an even better year! And always keep your health up & stay safe.

Of course with every year, comes a bunch of games to enjoy. 2020 is unfortunately...... not a pretty good year for anticipated games, due to either controversy or just the games being glitchy AF due to the current world situation. However there does exist awesome games that fill the unfortunate year of 2020, alongside the surge of Vtubers that makes everything ok they're so funny & wholesome all hail cute anime girls & their infinite charm ALL HAIL VTUBERS

Ahem..................

anyway here's my list of my favorite top 10 games of 2020, which is surprisingly not filled with the common big names, but indie games instead which makes me SO happy that Indie games are making themselves more known every year. Go & show them your power to the world devs!

Honorable mentions:

Final Fantasy 7 remake. I know it's a great game that a lot of people enjoyed, butI refuse to play it when it's only part 1 & rather wait for all the parts to come out because I don't want another new Star Wars trilogy/ Game of Thrones situation happening where they ruined the end & make you pissed about the previous games

Last of Us Part 2 because even though it's a damn good game that I have so much fun with, the way to plot progresses just gets worse and worse the more you think about it after you finished the game, and of course because of the whole debacle with the director which just sours the entire game. I'm definitely still curious about the future of the game, but for now this game just barely made it past my top 10 list.

Ryu Ga Gotoku 7/ Yakuza: Like A Dragon. I want to play this awesome game sooner, but I'm waiting for the price to go down. Thankfully it just got discounted recently & I'm gonna play it for many2 hours.

Watch Dogs Legion. I had a really fun time with this game & I had my personal squads of 39 misfits which includes a badass 75 year old woman that does wrestling moves, an irish John Wick & a lot of cute girls, and then the game's save file decided to glitch up & fucks it ALL up which erases EVERYONE & replaces them with 1 character that's a dead person from the beginning of the game.......... good thing the story progression is still ok, but man it hurts. If it weren't for that, I would actually put this game into one of my top 10 spot!

Nioh 2. Cause this game is 70% exactly like the first Nioh, that you might as well see this as an expansion pack with a fully customizable character & some new demon forms with parrying included in combat. Still a lot of fun, but it's like the Dynasty Warriors syndrome: you're playing the same game as before but with more stuff. 

Ultrakill, aka what happens when Quake has DMC style system. It is fucking awesome, but it's still in early access atm.

Them's Fightin' Herds, a REALLY damn good fighting game that has a really damn funny story mode which is very Undertale esque, buuut it's lacking in character roster & the story mode currently is only 1 chapter with the rest of them coming, whenever they're coming. Not sure why this game isn't early access even though it's not complete yet but ah well.

ScourgeBringer, a really damn good roguelike platformer with slick combat that got me on my toes most of the time, and by the end of the game I feel like a complete badass upgrading myself to the fullest & plowing through every enemy I see in my path. Shame that the story itself is pretty lacking, and there's another MUCH better roguelike in my top 10 that exceeds expectations.

One Step From Eden, another really damn good roguelike, but this time it's a card building game where you move in grids & your success depends on the cards you've collected in your arsenal. Same reason as ScourgeBringer as why this game doesn't make it to my top 10 list.

Half Life Alyx. When a teacher actually uses this game to teach his class math,

it's gonna be awesome. Urrghhh I wish I can play this game damn you VR

Cyberpunk 2077. Oh man oh man, when I made this list, I actually put this game as number 10 because even though it's so damn buggy, I still had a great time. BUUUUTTTTTT then thinking back on it, there's other glaring problems like the police system, lacking customization & the lack of chase scenes that could've made this game a lot better. And because there's another game that I put as honorable, but it got even better the more I think about it. For now though I'm just hoping that 2021 will absolutely improve on this game, and really hope this game will add a bunch more romance options. Judy's best girl & I want her romanceable with male V DAMN IT THEY'RE SO GOOD TOGETHER ASIFDSIGNFOSNWGDFBMGCIGUDFBFGD

Now with that out of the way, on to my top 10 list!

10) Fall Guys

Review: 'Fall Guys' is a party game for the coronavirus age

Ah yes, this demonic entity. Now, most people will put Among Us, but I don't consider that a 2020 game since that game was from 2018. This game though is definitely from 2020, and although it causes many blood & tears being sucked out of you from the many2 tragedies that befall you from almost winning the last game to get that tasty delicious crown, the feeling of triumph that you get from getting it is, MUAH, absolutely worth it. Not to mention, season 2 & 3 adds even more obstacles to play, and they're quite a lot of more fun than the base obstacles, except the solo ring minigame from season 2 which can go fuck itself.

9) Streets of Rage 4

‘Streets Of Rage 4’ Confirms Return Of Original Character Adam Hunter

Classic beat em up at its finest. Still very annoyed that Shiva & Max's current game version can't be played yet, but they're gonna come through dlc, whenever that is, and when it comes I will play the shit out of this game once again! Hopefully the game will receive an update that makes everyone able to run cause man, it feels wrong walking when SOR Remake did it so much better.

8) Granblue Fantasy Versus

Post image

Sadly one of the only few fighting games that come out this year which is awesome, the second being Them's Fightin' Herds that's in honorable mention. This game's story mode is something that I personally really like cause it's like playing the mobile game, but with actual fighting mechanic that's simple, but fun to do, aka it's a hack and slash. And it has really cool boss battles with loots that you equip to your characters which uses the same loot system as the mobile game, but you get SSR weapons like candy instead of the mobile game that give you crap loots. Where's Tekken Force/scenario mode in Tekken 7?? I want that mode back damn it URRRGHHHH OASNDOODFSFSFSFN

7) Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions

Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions; we have played it

OHOHOHO MANNN, this game is fucking amazing. THIS is how you do a damn great anime soccer game, while elevating the anime to the next level. It's basically like Dragonball Budokai Tenkaichi where you explore most of the scenes from the anime episodes per episodes which makes it like you're watching the anime & playing it at the same time. AND this game give you an even better bonus by having you play an original storyline mixed with the international arc from the anime where you create your own character & do 1 out of 3 starter schools, AND battle 1 out of 3 teams which changes the ending of the game. It is anime as hell, and it is fucking brilliant. I would so rate this game a lot higher, if it weren't for the fact that online mode is absolutely dogshit right now. The singleplayer is what this game is all about, especially for fans of the anime. Actually, anyone that wants a great and fun soccer game should play this game rather than another same Fifa game.

6) 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim.

og_img-240bccaff2.jpg?versionId=gahYEmqH

This is the game that got better in my mind the more I think about it & replaces Cyberpunk 2077. Coincidentally, this game was in development since 2013, 1 year after Cyberpunk 2077 was in its planning stages. 13 Sentinel got released in 2019 in Japan & 2020's the English version, AND the game actually comes out with its full potential unleashed with next to no glitches while Cyberpunk 2077 is in shambles with glitches, so that's a gigantic plus already. 

This is a very special game from the developers of Odin Sphere & Dragon's Crown. It's 70% visual novel of seeing backstory for the 13 playable characters in this game, and then 30% RTS mech combat that's like Front Mission, but faster. The music in this game is one of the best soundtrack of 2020 which I have added to my fighting game music track. Here's a sample of the kickass battle themes this game has

While the story is super intriguing with a lot of genius twists and turns which wraps up really nicely in the end, most of the RTS gameplay is pretty basic cause you're essentially just doing tower defense with mechs over and over again until the very end of the game with increasing difficulty, and even though you can upgrade your mechs which gives them absolutely badass crowd clearing moves that should've looked awesome, there's no cool 2D closeup animation for the mechs except in the attack description when you're doing combat which is a shame because the art style is really damn good. This game also has the potential to have side scrolling 2D shoot em up sequences because there's a lot of shooting & fighting involved in them, but they're simplified to just you pressing a button to fire a gun. I actually would not mind at all if this game's RTS gameplay are replaced with mecha 2D side-scrolling combat, and it would be so awesome because Vanillaware is a master at it with Odin's Sphere & Dragon's Crown before, but it's nice that they branch out with RTS game cause they did another RTS game back in the day called GrimGrimoire. If this game has more gameplay variety, this game can definitely be in the top 5 for sure.

5) Genshin Impact

Genshin Impact's first big update arrives in November • Eurogamer.net

Now THIS game is a gigantic surprise. I instantly know that this game will be something awesome the moment I played through the story mode, and then realizing that the awesome big boss battle with a dragon is only the DAMN PROLOGUE. Now I am aware that this is a free to play game, but actually unlike what Joe & other misinformed people that unfortunately just completely dismiss this game cause they're assuming this game is just like the other typical exploitative mobile game in the market like what EA usually put out, this game is not just another hollow mobile game, but an actual proper game that has a solid mechanic in it. Exploration is awesome, fighting enemies is awesome, leveling your characters up requires work but once you get through it, it's worth it. There's TONS of lore, a solid fantasy story, memorable characters & a great world to explore here that will get even better when the future updates roll around. There's 7 continents each with their own elemental powers that the main character can absorb to unleash his full potential, and so far the game is currently only having 2 continents finishing up with act 1, that in itself also have another amazing boss battle that made my damn jaw drop. We still got 5 future updates, and maybe even more depending on how the plot will progress. I cannot wait to see how epic the game will get.

And best of all, it's all completely free updates! Unlike World of Warcraft or usual MMO Rpgs which has their pricey expansions alongside microtransactions, you don't have to pay a single cent with this game. And when you update the game, you're gonna be given free game currencies to help you save up with getting new characters through the shop. There is literally no excuse to skip playing this game other than close-mindedness & horribly wrong assumption that all free to play games must be the same things that force people to eventually pay money to win it. I spend 0 real life money on this game because I saved up all the premium currencies & only sparingly use them without using all of them up, and I ended up getting a lot of great characters. The way to get characters in this game is you must NOT spend the premium currency blindly like an idiot like these dumbasses on youtube did, have self-restraint because the game will give you free premium currency like candy with maintenance + thank you gifts. Right now I have 7,182 premium currency, and all of that was from collecting them in-game & getting free currency. Sure I spent perhaps around 7,000 so far, but that's not a lot, so I earned 14,000 of em for free and still have half of it saved up, and I will have even more of them saved up until I decided to spend them. 

Just remember people: you gotta budget yourself with playing free to play games and use the money you get through playing the game. Not all free to play games are good, and only a handful of them are genuinely awesome, which luckily Genshin is one of them. If you ended up using real money, it has to be because you fully support the game developer & do it to support them. Don't be a moron & spend real money because you blindly want to get this one new 5 star character which will most likely ruin your wallet. Be thankful with the characters that you do get because most of the time, that character will ended up being a really good character, which is why reading the tier list is very important. Here it is for you people that's planning to play this game.

https://genshin.gg/tier-list

I can't sing enough praise to this game. This game is a big step up for free to play game & a benchmark that will surely get even higher in the future. It's awesome when a game does things this well, and it's such a shame that Joe is so close-minded about this game in particular, cause if he actually spends proper time & strategy on this game, I am sure he would actually like the game a lot. But hey, good thing I'm here to say otherwise.

4) Hades

Hades | Nintendo Switch download software | Games | Nintendo

The great roguelike that surprises everyone this year. And all it has to do is make you dying over and over a part of the overall plot, put EXCELLENT music, story, combat & characters for you to interact with, and a truckload of dialogues that makes you want to play this game over and over and over again. There are so many things to see in this game, and even though I finished this game so many times that I finally see the end credits, there's STILL more things to do. This is easily Supergiant Games' best game so far, and I actually don't mind if this game receive an expansion that adds more bosses & characters, cause with Greek mythology, there's plenty of things to explore.

3) The Wonderful 101: Remastered

The Wonderful 101: Remastered for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

HAHA, bet you don't see this coming do ya??

I had been waiting for YEARS for Wonderful 101 to be released for PC, and it FINALLY happened this year. And it is magnificent. Everything about this game is fantastic, aside from the unfortunate rare glitch where I can't use my parry button for some reason until I restart the game, or sometimes the camera angle will get messy. The music, the art, the hilarious moments that made me laugh so damn hard whether it's from the QTE fails or how this game doesn't give a crap about the fourth wall, and of course the insane awesomeness that only Platinum Games can conjure, this game is an absolute joy to play from beginning to the end. I am so damn glad that it's finally mine to enjoy & happy that it's as great as I expected it to be. Here's to that Ultraman Project GG game

looking forward to seeing how Viewtiful Joe & this connects to that game!

It's tradition on my list at this point, so here's yet another 2 way tie for 2nd

2) Doom Eternal & Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Image result for doom eternal

Image result for Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Man oh man, THESE 2 games are amazing. Doom Eternal is just balls to the walls awesomeness from beginning to the end that took the previous DOOM to the sky, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps is such a great improvement to the pretty as F first game, and it got even better the more I think about it even after I finished it. Both of these elevates the previous games, and they're well deserved to be this high on my list.

However, 1 game this year stood tall above the others:

1) Ghost of Tsushima

Ghost of Tsushima's Review Set to go Live on July 14th, Early ...

Now you might be thinking: why is this Assassin's Creed in Japan game number 1 even though it doesn't break new grounds in its gameplay? Well I'll tell you why:

Cause it all fucking blends together perfectly & the execution for everything fits so damn well that it just becomes one strong excellent package. This game took the formula of Assassin's Creed & actually made the best Assassin's Creed game in existence that far outclasses every other Assassin's Creed games before by making combat always engaging with stances & stealth actually working well as it should be. Looting & crafting items for Jin is always really engaging & fun as you travel through the REALLY DAMN PRETTY island of Tsushima that it just makes you stand & do photo mode every 5 minutes. The music is absolutely amazing that it's a fucking crime that it's not even included for best soundtrack in the Game Awards, and the story is simple, but you are completely on board with Jin Sakai & his journey from the beginning till the very end, and potentially future installment that I am so looking forward to seeing. And not to mention the fact that the game has an updated multiplayer mode, and it's also freaking awesome!

This game is the only game this year when after I finish the story, I got goosebumps from how overwhelmed & how amazing the final parts of this game were. I can't say the same as the other games I completed this year, and when a game gave me goosebumps, made me clap hard or made me cry, THAT'S how I know it's special, and this game definitely is. Congrats Ghost of Tsushima, you're the best Assassin's Creed game for now & I am looking forward to seeing more adventures of Jin Sakai & his companions in the next game, because ohoho the journey for him is definitely not done until he traveled through more of Japan & be the hero the land needs.

Ohoho, ya think that's the end of it this year? No. This year also has 1 other very special game that showed itself, and this is a definite game changer for the future of games that I MUST mention. Here's an extra special entry to a very special game:

Special wild card number 0: Dreams

Dreams has officially gone gold ahead of its February release | GamesRadar+

Hahahaha, you think this game will not be mentioned? HELL NO. This thing....... is a game changer. This is the new breed of game engine that is actually so damn powerful, that it singlehandedly make 80% of games on Early Access look like a complete joke.

Dreams is a place where everyone can create whatever games/ short animation/ whatever they want, and it's all limited to their imaginations. Hell, you know it's a game changer when the official game that comes with it is just 10% of what this thing can do.

Hmm, looking back, this is actually very similar to Cyberpunk 2077's Johnny band storyline, but less depressing.

This game alone deserves to be a standalone game, but Dreams is about more than that. Every single month I always see something new being created by really damn creative PS4 players, and I got to play a lot of them. Most are short, but the ones that are actual full games that takes 1 + hours and even more to complete are the ones that stand out & the ones that will definitely be the highlight of how amazing this game engine is. You can go to youtube & search the recommended games, and there's gonna be a lot of users with their own personal picks like these ones

Best of all: you don't have to pay them. All you pay for is Dreams itself. Once you get the game, the Pandora's box is open & thousands of creations are free to be experienced. So do what I did: get this game, search the top picks on youtube & spend an entire week playing them. :D

And that's it for 2020! And unlike previous games of the previous year, most of the top picks have the potential to be even better in 2021. So here's to 2021 & hope it will be an even more awesome year for games. Hollow Knight Silksong & TSUKIHIME REMAKE, YOU WILL BE MINE!!!

skorgezagreat likes this

I will say that I'm not a fan of anime girls, however, the rise of vtubers has been pretty interesting. On top of that Doom Eternal was game of the Year material, but somehow, last of us part two was...meh...but your effort in arranging all this is pretty cool...instant like

3 hours ago, skorgezagreat said:

I will say that I'm not a fan of anime girls, however, the rise of vtubers has been pretty interesting. On top of that Doom Eternal was game of the Year material, but somehow, last of us part two was...meh...but your effort in arranging all this is pretty cool...instant like

VTUBERS IS LIFE! ALL HAIL OUR 2D OVERLORDS!!

Cough2.

Ok in all seriousness, them being popular this year is the best thing about 2020. Youtube's been doing the same usual depressing youtube drama bullshits, people depressed about corona, top 10 lists fads with the same thing in them over and over again that I pretty much got sick and tired of them, so seeing these girls just fucking around & making people laugh to ease the insanity is a welcome change of pace.

This is a regular thing I do each year. I encourage everyone to put their own top 10 list cause everyone got different tastes in games after all. Quite unfortunate that this year because of Corona this place doesn't get the usual members joining in, but it's good to have ya.

skorgezagreat likes this

I'm glad to be here, I'll post my own tomorrow, if you'd like! Did you see the fact that Youtube put miniladd's apology video on trending?! Like wtf.

6 hours ago, skorgezagreat said:

I'm glad to be here, I'll post my own tomorrow, if you'd like! Did you see the fact that Youtube put miniladd's apology video on trending?! Like wtf.

Up to you man, just have fun with it. Extra nice if the games on your list are something I never heard before so I can try them out. :D

No idea who that guy is cause I don't use trending until you just told me about him. Then I saw this vid.

Huh. Sounds like a cunt. Well good thing he's going down for doing the things he did, yet another asshole who got his just dessert in 2020. The more people like this get exposed the better so actual good people can rise up & make fun stuff to enjoy.

skorgezagreat likes this

I definitely agree! Dessert for 2020 is a good statement.