• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

skorgezagreat

My own take on the best games of 2020! (Read description)

3 posts in this topic

Description:

I will preface this by saying that I do not play very many games at release, that is in fact why my number one pick is at number one (foreshadowing). So I have the first five under "Games that I played in 2020", this is the games that despite being heralded as good, I have taken my sweet ass time getting to. The last five will be games that were released this year, I will state if I have played them or not and what made them good. Another thing I will say, is that this year has been hard and it has been nice to discover some old gems in the new one's! Let's get started!

Games That I (Finally) played in 2020:

10. Fallout 1:

Okay, do I need to tell you this game is good? Nope. All you have to do is look at the massive series it has spawned, multiple sequels, board games, tabletops, and even spin-off titles like Fallout: Tactics. This game is iconic and I would say even with how dated it can be, it holds up today. The graphics help to give a "never seeing the true horror" vibe, the top down view only allowing you to glimpse at the horror of the wasteland. The features in this game are actually more unique than in some of the newer fallout games, I remember being fascinated with the fact that I could join a caravan at The Hub. The soundtrack is immaculate and I have some tracks linked below. If you haven't played it, then I recommend you do!

Certainly a good ambiance track...

9. Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate:

This game is a pain in the behind to get running on modern systems, I had to reach deep into my computer's file directory and change some lines of code to get the game working, "but...Why is this game rated higher than fallout then?" I hear you scream from the Mojave Wasteland. This game has more content, it is a top down RTS style game, which you will command up to four squads and maybe a commander of the Ultramarines. You can equip your squad to your liking and face the heretical hordes of chaos marines and cultists. Chaos Gate feels very much like a Sunday game, a single mission can take two hours, but you'll almost inevitably be sucked in to its gameplay and story. The game again features some stand out songs in it, to which I will give you below...

You can find it on GOG it generally doesn't go for much more than like five bucks, but can be two on sale.

8. Mount and Blade: Warband:

I hate this game...and I love it. The game is a very complex roleplaying game, to which you can take control of your own hero-a good ol' King Arthur or maybe make your own horrible monstrosity of war crimes, with an oblong head...so Ki adi Mundi...

You recruit peasants to turn them into knights and archers for your army and either try to overthrow a nation or join its ranks.

The game is pretty barren on the graphics side of things but you can find lots of enjoyment; Joining tournaments, fighting sea raiders, etc.

7. City Skylines:

This game has very few downsides in my opinion, it's simple, it's sweet and easy to pick up. You build a city and try to keep your citizens happy while balancing your industrial, urban, suburban, and economic zones. You can take out loans, you can build bridges and anything else that is needed to make a city run! The game is cheap and easy to play and I recommend that if you have a chance, give it a go.

6. Dawn of War:

Ohhhhhhhhhh boy! By the Emperor this game is good, anyone who loves Warhammer, tends to love this game! It has all of your favorite horrible war crime factions (I'm looking at you Dark Eldar) and any it doesn't have you can get through mods! It's gory, it's violent and just like dead space two said, "your mom's gonna hate it!". Space marines ripping orks apart, while guardsmen are being engaged by the Tau. It's all so finely tuned and if you can get it and you haven't played it DO IT!

New games of this year:

5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons:

What more is there to say about this game and how relaxing it can be, I have not played this game as a disclaimer, but I do recommend it to the "Death Stranding" type of people, who play video games to relax and get away from the world. There is no politics, no hidden agenda, just some clean fantasy fun.

4. Microsoft: Flight Simulator:

Do you wanna be a pilot without all the work, do you have a monster of a machine that can run the literal world on it? Are you cursed with way too much money and can't seem to get rid of it all without buying a dyson sphere? Well here is your game. Microsoft Flight Simulator is a technological marvel and I recommend it to anyone who has top of the line hardware, since it is so good in simulating being a pilot and controlling a plane!

3. Half Life Alyx:

The story of Half Life 3 might be dead, but Half Life Alyx will give you that itch you needed scratching years and years ago. This title is a VR game following the character of Alyx, the gameplay is intuitive, the graphics are immaculate and if you have a Rift, I recommend it!

2. Ghost of Tsushima:

What a game, I haven't played it, but I have heard quite enough about it, that I need to find a way to play this game! It follows the story of several samurai as you mix up fighting styles and try and beat your opponents in melee combat. You can find certain weapons that are ancient and have stories around them and it simply feels good to get those weapons!

Before we move to number one:

I am going to give you my most anticipated games and their trailers!

1. Halo Infinite:

2. Warhammer 40k: Darktide:

3. Warhammer Battle Sister:

And now for....

1. Doom: Eternal:

Halo might be infinite, but Doom is Eternal. You know this game is good, I know this game is good, and even your mother knows it is good, this game is game of the year material, from its soundtrack to the way you get to kill demons, it's brutal, it's fast paced and I looooove it. The game has so much side content and as a sequel, it succeeds!

So that's my top ten picks of the year! Feel free to post your opinions down below and a quick mention to KAZ32 for convincing me to do this, your awesome man!

Nice that you're doing your own list! But don't put Ghost of Tsushima as number 2 if you haven't played it, that's a big no no, put it as "game that I really want to play but haven't" or something similar. It's ok if you don't have a top 10 since you don't play that many games, just put it as top 5 instead. 

skorgezagreat likes this

I apologize, I will note this for the future!