• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jinzuro

AJSA Game Development Team

AJSA Game Dev Team   124 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see an official team?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Maybe
    • Pfft

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

709 posts in this topic

I think this idea depends on the people working on it having being like minded. And of course commitment. I can tell you 1st hand that even sometimes money does not get some people to move. I have had problems like that but its always overcome by perseverance. But seeing that it may be a forum and fun thing it could drag on for a long time.  Though it could be very fun and an engaging activity. Game development is very time demanding.

Damn I like the idea. It's a shame I never got to anything more complex than the WarCraft 3 World editor :(

There was no time. I did not even released any of my work because I was not satisfied with it. Guess I am not like EA  :lol:,  they don't seem to care.

Got to love companies like CD Project RED.

I could do some dialogues maybe, or terrain design I got some sick ideas when it comes to scenery. 

You got my support guys.

No worries. There are many aspects in game development that a person can put in their own amount of work. Design and programming is a big part of it, but it can't work on just that alone. Yes, it can be demanding, but I feel it could be also be made easier when you have so many helping hands.

I mostly use RPG VX Ace to create a game. It's easy to use but it will be cool to have a dev team. I'll love to join in the creative side and create a story for it.

I've only messed around with RPG Maker 95 and 2000 way back in college. I've been seeing VX and all the extra packages with it as I continuously check it. Still waiting for a 3d rpg maker like they did for the ps2.

I think this idea depends on the people working on it having being like minded. And of course commitment. I can tell you 1st hand that even sometimes money does not get some people to move. I have had problems like that but its always overcome by perseverance. But seeing that it may be a forum and fun thing it could drag on for a long time.  Though it could be very fun and an engaging activity. Game development is very time demanding.

This is very true. Which is why I thought for those who are very into gaming it would be perfect for a gaming community. Help can be given on many different levels. Even if one doesn't know how to work around programs we could have those who pitch in as voice actors, do conceptional art, and working with story creation. If we have a good structure to implement the measure of resources that people in the forum could give it could be made less demanding. Now the beginning naturally could be rocky, but practice makes perfect as they say.

Well I know Angrey joe is a big comic book fan perhaps it could be a really well made comic Mugen game. I have dabbled in that for some time. Its easy to code and everyone could have an active part in it. And with a bunch of basses from Capcom and ext. its easy to come up with some Unique stuff. At least to start off with. Here is one of my projects Superman. Darksied is done by someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbrMg8DtKJQ

And another for a gamed called Mortal Kombat vs Marvel Selene Gallow the Black Queen

As you can see you could really come up with some truly unique works and gameplay as well as some cool screenpack options

There are some limits but there are also ample possibilities.

Well I know Angrey joe is a big comic book fan perhaps it could be a really well made comic Mugen game. I have dabbled in that for some time. Its easy to code and everyone could have an active part in it. And with a bunch of basses from Capcom and ext. its easy to come up with some Unique stuff. 

Very nice. I've always seen Mugen, but I never thought to play around with it. In all I'm hoping we get alot of people wanting to join in such as yourself. It would allow for us to be able to divide up teams to work on multiple games. That way they can fit for the many tastes of gameplay that are abundant within the community. They don't all have to be AAA look to be good games, but we could have individuals who wish to take on the challenge on all levels of particular styles.

I do think there has to be a standard when representing a particular communities but I do think in particular areas there should be leaders to help with quality control. But at the same time not to judge the guys with less experience or skills.

I do think there has to be a standard when representing a particular communities but I do think in particular areas there should be leaders to help with quality control. But at the same time not to judge the guys with less experience or skills.

Thats exactly what I was thinking and considering if this does come to be it would only make sense to have threads that could have information available for those wanting to learn. They can go through the information presented. Win, win for everyone. You'll have vets, those who are moderate, and those who are beginning.

Bump.. heck even if this dos not get noticed, its awesome how many people have replied.

Jinzuro likes this

Bump.. heck even if this dos not get noticed, its awesome how many people have replied.

I'm enjoying the flow.

Like JInzuro said there just isn't enough people, I'm looking at the post and it's the same few people that's been really posting I mean there have been exceptionally new people today but we need more than 2 or 3 people to participate.

Like JInzuro said there just isn't enough people, I'm looking at the post and it's the same few people that's been really posting I mean there have been exceptionally new people today but we need more than 2 or 3 people to participate.

made a list a while back got 6 programmers and 4-5 Volunteers 2 Music and 2-3 Story writers its enof to make something simple

In my case I never expected to explode into a wide spread movement. But I can be patient in hopes more people see it and if they have an interest to post a comment here giving their approval and also if they have some knowledge to what they do and also their idea for how structuring a dev team with the backing of a forum could work along with a process for game development itself across multiple genre.

yea that's why i stated if you can get the ART and u now the basics anyone can put the peaces together 

I placed addition information on the first post as far as an Idea I have for structuring and to better ensure the topic makes sense of where I'm going with this. Let me know what you think.

This definitely depends on the genre and graphics. In your initial post I see that you posted things that would require a more experienced crew. Using blender and possibly coding languages such as C+ and Ruby that will need some pretty well knowledgeable people to work on it.  But there are starter programs out there to make things much easier. Just that the game may not particularly be a 3d graphical game. If you had two or three people you could in fact make a 2d RPG, a side scroller beat em up or a fighter with engines such as RPG maker,Game Maker, Beats of Rage(BOR) or even Mugen. If you get some guys who are really into it I have some pretty cool mugen projects in early development. But I'm a comic guy lol.

newwalk_zps2271ea1e.gif

Jinzuro likes this

This definitely depends on the genre and graphics. In your initial post I see that you posted things that would require a more experienced crew. Using blender and possibly coding languages such as C+ and Ruby that will need some pretty well knowledgeable people to work on it.  But there are starter programs out there to make things much easier. Just that the game may not particularly be a 3d graphical game. If you had two or three people you could in fact make a 2d RPG, a side scroller beat em up or a fighter with engines such as RPG maker,Game Maker, Beats of Rage(BOR) or even Mugen. If you get some guys who are really into it I have some pretty cool mugen projects in early development. But I'm a comic guy lol.

newwalk_zps2271ea1e.gif

Indeed. But for me I just put that there as an example because really when teams start forming the discussions for what engines to use what to start off with begin there. But I would say there should be programs open to those who are beginning or advanced in both 2d and 3d programs. There are a good number of people working with programs as blender just as there are those who work on those like rpg maker. But for me I took in the account of whether the program would need to be paid for or not as well. That is also important for those getting involved. Now I do hear what everyone is saying about starting off small, but even with programs like rpg maker individuals still have to learn it the same as you would any program. And I would expect for those who go the route of 3d would look for a designer for levels. It makes it easier since you have key individuals for particular tasks. Python is the programming that is used with Blender and is much simpler to learn then C++, but C++ does have its power. 

First off, I really respect you Jinzuro for answering EVERY single comment in this thread, it shows you care about the subject with much passion.

OnT: I think it's a great idea to gather people to share experiences and talk about (semi)serious game development. Good to see there is a crowd for those kinds of things. I myself am studying game dev at Malmoe university, 2nd year. I'm gonna try and be completely realistic here:

- Ruby, that trexrell44 mentioned before, is a far superior and easier to learn language than any of the c-tree languages. However, it isn't mainstream, so they are barely any frameworks or libraries to support a wider range of projects, especially those that do not involve old-fashioned day-to-day app development (like video games and smartphone/ipad/android/other-new-shit-phone application).

- C++ (SFML 2.0 framework) is a powerful language, but takes waaaay too long to learn, and it is also a much more punishing language, since it gives more freedom --> making programs with buggs becomes easier.

- I don't know much about Python, sorry.

My two suggestions are:

- Java. It is easy to learn, shares similarities to other c-languages. It is often used in browser and thus many libraries and frameworks are available online for free to develop (somewhat) advanced browser applications. This would be good for any online/multiplayer game, browser aswell as those that require servers.

- XNA 4.0 framework in C#. It's intermediate/hard to learn, but VERY easy to handle, and you can create (out-of-date-looking) 3D games like DOOM/Half-Life in a matter of 2-3 months; or you can create a really good looking 2D game. The problem is that you have to invest time to really learn it. You need to buy books and really educate yourself. But once you do, I know that a group of 4-5 people could create a games like those better ones at ArmorGames in less than 3 months (my fellow classmates have).

That's about the languages. However, the hardest part of this, especially if you want an international project development team, is to get people involved. The only way I see this work is having a group of really passionate individuals communicating through a thread (here or anywhere else) and using Dropbox or other programs similar to it in order to progress the development and make changes. Skype could also come in handy, but once again it becomes difficult when people live in different parts of the world.

Another very important aspect: you need the teams to be led by people who know their shit. I'm serious. Else nothing will ever get done in a proper manner. And by people I mean those who either study or have studied game development at a university or people that already have some experience in developing (indie) games with friends/professionally.

Just my 0.02$

Jinzuro likes this

I suggest the Unity3D engine as a general go to engine. It is really good for getting things done at a fast pace as it is easy to use and get into. Many companies use it to get started in game development recently as it has been improving a lot over the recent years (also it uses C# and javascript for scripting). It has huge support now meaning that it is going to be constantly updated and it is pretty fast too. Example graphics of a game made in Unity3D (this game was by very few people):

http://media.interstellarmarines.com/media/images/im_deadlock_cr1_vip_01_midday.jpg

Also in it's latest update they added a complete tool set for making 2D games now with it so that is a option as well (it was possible before, but not supported officially).

Unity also runs on all platforms without having to change much which is really nice since porting is often a pain, but in unity it is a click of a button.

Popular games made with Unity3D:

Kerbal Space Program,

Call of Duty: Strike Team,

Deus Ex: The Fall,

Forced,

Knock knock,

more: http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/game-list

In my own experience of using Unity3D, I think it is easier to use than blender, and possible the easiest to use game engine ever. It also is much faster than Blender which makes it more suitable for larger games.

http://unity3d.com/

If you want to make a game that needs to run really really fast, you will need to make your own engine. Why make our own engine when we can use ones made by others? Because the really fast ones are usually not free, and very expensive.

By very expensive, I mean very very expensive: http://www.gamepur.com/news/7433-cryengine-3-license-cost-12-million.html

Again I highly suggest using Unity3D.

Jinzuro likes this

Another very important aspect: you need the teams to be led by people who know their shit. I'm serious. Else nothing will ever get done in a proper manner. And by people I mean those who either study or have studied game development at a university or people that already have some experience in developing (indie) games with friends/professionally.

Just my 0.02$

Your 2 cents must be comprised of two very rare coins. There's a lot of value in that post. Yes, I do want to see this happen and I've been wanting to get back into working with coding and animation software. Along side this, the time I did spend working on games with rpg maker and using 3ds Max I thoroughly enjoyed it. One knows of course how life can often turn you off from the things you enjoy, but I never forgot.

I deeply appreciate the insight you've brought to the topic as well as far as not only giving further detail into programming languages. I'm hoping those that are mentioned here could be put to very good use and work as a deciding factor in what is going to be used.Mindful if all works out.  

As for Python, it allows for you to work with fewer lines of code then C++. So its not as powerful as C++, but allows for faster development and has high portability. And as far as I recall I believe it does make it work when you wish to switch critical points with C++ coding. Here is a collection of the scripting thats been put together on blender so you can see how it looks: 

http://www.blender.org/documentation/blender_python_api_2_69_1/

Yes, I having dedicated people will be the hardest part about this. But I'm hoping collecting a manner of making information more available will make transitions easier for those who might turn away. Its a rocky road learning coding for the first time and it can be unappealing to most. Alot of individuals don't get to that part of learning in which they begin to have fun applying the knowledge they've collected.

I suggest the Unity3D engine as a general go to engine. It is really good for getting things done at a fast pace as it is easy to use and get into. Many companies use it to get started in game development recently as it has been improving a lot over the recent years (also it uses C# and javascript for scripting). It has huge support now meaning that it is going to be constantly updated and it is pretty fast too. Example graphics of a game made in Unity3D (this game was by very few people):

Almost had a heart attack seeing that price tag. Maybe they meant $1.200000  It surely sounds more agreeable to the eyes. Now others have posted Unity3D in previous pages, but I'm happy to see your adding more insight into the program. I remember downloading the free version last year and playing around in it for a bit. I didn't delve too deep, but I like the good majority of what I did see.

I'm especially happy to hear about the support. Support I believe would be very important and I do love it when information is available for individuals to look into and learn. It is also one of the reason I choose blender because of their downloadable manual for using the Python language and also their network of professional support: http://www.blendernetwork.org/

Of course at this point there is no telling how far things well go, what the structure for working the team will be, what engine will be used, along with the pace of development. All that has to be thoroughly discussed, but its nice we can talk about it here because I think of it like laying out some pre-ground work that can be taken into account. Main reason why I'm hesitant to just get into any type of coding right now, though I'll probably continue with Python for the moment because I know that more then any other, even if its just a little. But I very much don't mind going the route of learning a different language to give a helping hand if its decided to use Unity3D,  or dabble deeply into any other type of coding such as C++ and Ruby.

Another thing I would like to talk about is effectively working in a team. In order to do this, it would be best to have a git repository either on Joe's server's or I suggest using Github or Bitbucket. Github is free if you make your code public, and if the creators don't really care about the project being public then I guess you could use that, and if you want it private you need to pay some money monthly (very little, like 5$). What I like about Bitbucket is that it is free to make a private repository, wiki, and to-do-list for up to 5 users, and after that it is 1$ per month per extra user (200+ is 200$).

Git is a distributed version control system. It allows multiple people to work on the same project efficiently and allow the developers to always have the most up-to-date project. It allows a user to upload their changes to the project, branch into different experimental branches or pull the changes from the server. It also acts as a backup and restore. It also merges code, so if two people edit the same file it makes both of their changes show up.

*Git is the most used version control system for smaller groups like this one. It is also used in very large companies as well. Git is completely free and open-source.

Companies that use Git:

Google,

Facebook,

Microsoft,

Twitter,

Netflix,

more...

http://git-scm.com/

Jinzuro likes this

If you are worried about Unity3D costing money, it only costs money if the game is making >= 100,000$ in the last year (also if you are making >= 100,000$ from the game I do not think you will care about the small license cost for the engine).

Sources:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/7529/do-i-have-to-pay-unity-if-my-game-makes-a-lot-of-m.html

Look at the general license:

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

I could help where I am needed all I know though is some basic webcode (HTML & CSS) not much PHP though.

So I'm basically kinda useless xD

Another thing I would like to talk about is effectively working in a team. In order to do this, it would be best to have a git repository either on Joe's server's or I suggest using Github or Bitbucket. Github is free if you make your code public, and if the creators don't really care about the project being public then I guess you could use that, and if you want it private you need to pay some money monthly (very little, like 5$). What I like about Bitbucket is that it is free to make a private repository, wiki, and to-do-list for up to 5 users, and after that it is 1$ per month per extra user (200+ is 200$).

Wow, I had never heard of this before. That would be really useful in such a case.

If you are worried about Unity3D costing money, it only costs money if the game is making >= 100,000$ in the last year (also if you are making >= 100,000$ from the game I do not think you will care about the small license cost for the engine).

Yes, this was one of the reasons that turned me off from Unity3D, but its more of how it says it.

Can we sell games and make money with the free version of Unity?

Yes you can create and sell a game with the free version of Unity, without paying royalties or any revenue share. However, the free version of Unity may not be licensed by a commercial entity with annual gross revenues (based on fiscal year) in excess of US$100,000, or by an educational, non-profit or government entity with an annual budget of over US$100,000.

Please also be aware that the feature set of the free version is not intended for the production of professional games and interactive content. Lastly, games made with our Pro trial licenses may not be distributed nor used for commercial purposes.

When I read that, what I understood from how it said it was yes, you can make money from the free version license, but not if you make an excess of $100,000. In then goes on to say the free version is not intended for professional games, initially ones that would be able to touch above that point and even more that pro-trial licenses you are not allowed to distribute or use for commercial purpose. So if we did use the free version, at least from my understanding of this if we went over $100,000 we could not continue to use the license of the free version and in order to keep sale of that game would have to buy the pro license which is $1,500 for the pro engine +  $500 for the team license which that I wouldn't mind personally since it says it allows for a team to work together both locally and remotely on projects. The Team License extends the editor with features that enable easy collaboration — both local and remote. Like everything else in Unity, it has been designed to combine power and simplicity. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding what they put, because thats what it sounds like their saying to me. So I suppose if we worked with Unity3D we would just have to transition to Pro if we reached $100,000 but the other issue is the fact that it would only be for one user so everyone else working on it would individually have to pay the $1,500 for the pro license.

One User per License

Commercial and government users must purchase a license for each individual using Unity Pro and any other paid Unity products. For Unity Pro and all other paid Unity products, you may installsuch products on both a primary and a secondary computer for use only by the same user. You may not use both installations simultaneously. If you purchase educational licenses, you must purchase a license for each computer on which the Software is to be used. 

So if we had a team of 10 people so to speak we would have to all give in a total $15,000.  $20,000 if we're adding a team license to that. In such case if we're hitting over $100,000 I would say $20,000 wouldn't be so bad. But it also depends on how many individuals are working on that project. The more individuals we have the more the price would be raised. But all in all thats if we're intending to make this game for profit, or non-profit. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this or all.

I could help where I am needed all I know though is some basic webcode (HTML & CSS) not much PHP though.

>:3 No such thing. If one is dedicated to a project they can learn new skills. I for one am not against finding ways to make information available to all individuals involved. It really depends on what type of game we're intending to make and what we're intending to use.

For management of the code I will strongly go against anything else then Git or SVN (Git is better but, SVN works) where you will release a world of hurt if you think using dropbox or other programms that update files when changes have been done is a great idea. (Dropbox works for image files, but not code)

As for programming language it's not a big deal what language is use, but should probably use a language that the group feel like they can manage and work with where what we belive not is not relevant. Sure some are easier to learn then others, but does not mean it will be easier for people to learn and make something out of it. 

Jinzuro likes this

For management of the code I will strongly go against anything else then Git or SVN (Git is better but, SVN works) where you will release a world of hurt if you think using dropbox or other programms that update files when changes have been done is a great idea. (Dropbox works for image files, but not code)

So SVN is the same as Git, but not better then what Git provides?

As for programming language it's not a big deal what language is use, but should probably use a language that the group feel like they can manage and work with where what we belive not is not relevant. Sure some are easier to learn then others, but does not mean it will be easier for people to learn and make something out of it. 

I do agree with this. I think for an project once what is going to be used is decided it would be easier to work with. Right now we're all bringing in points of interest with the coding.

Not useless, I have a example how this could be used: any web game, or menu (look at battlefield 4, their menu is in the browser and requires a lot of HTML and CSS).

Jinzuro likes this