• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Would you Kindly

A question for computer builders

6 posts in this topic

Intel/Nvidia or AMD for processor/video cards?

The reason I ask is because I am contemplating building a new rig once I get a job/money for the project and I have heard different things for both.

For AMD I hear about heat related issues, or just general heat building up very quickly.

For Intel I hear about having to update your drivers for basically every new game, or that a game is not optimized for Nvidia video cards.

I am just looking for general knowledge for future use, please feel free to suggest other brands (Do not know if there are any other major players but you never know) 

I currently have an AMD processor and video card and while I will say it that the room gets pretty warm if playing a graphics heavy game for all I know that is the power supply. At any rate just thought I would ask the community in case you guys have your own good ideas/opinions. Thanks in advance :)

I have an AMD card and indeed driver updates are a lot rarer than Nvidia ones (I used to own Nvidia card). For the purpose of gaming you cannot guess, some games work better with AMD, some with Nvidia. I personally prefer my game working with either, but you know how it happens.

I know for a fact that Space Empires V has issues with AMD cards to the point that it refuses to run. I wasn't able to find a fix for it.

Other than that, just look at individual models I'd say. See what's better in terms of cost efficiency.

Contra Mundi likes this

When you are choosing between an Intel or AMD cpu, Intel hands down. Their instructing set and lower clocks beat out any AMD running at higher clocks. This is at stock, not taking about overclocking. Now for gpu is really depends on budget, if your not a fan boy. AMD has the best price to performance ratio. Nvidia hold the crown for#1 beast gpu but you pay.

Other than that, just look at individual models I'd say. See what's better in terms of cost efficiency.

Pretty much this.  I would do some research on the various cards currently available.  Look at multiple reviews for each card you're considering and then decide which one best fits your needs in terms of price and performance.

When you are choosing between an Intel or AMD cpu, Intel hands down. Their instructing set and lower clocks beat out any AMD running at higher clocks. This is at stock, not taking about overclocking. Now for gpu is really depends on budget, if your not a fan boy. AMD has the best price to performance ratio. Nvidia hold the crown for#1 beast gpu but you pay.

Depends on models - the CPU that is. The AMD FX is cheaper than the i7 (like $300 less for the same performance) and the top models are faster than the equally priced i7 models - and the FX is technically a generation behind even though their designs are vastly different.

AMD is more built for people that do a ton of crap at the same time (not so much gaming despite what AMD's PR department say) - they run a little slower but can take a serious load and not slow down. Intel run faster because their instruction set is slimmer, but throw enough threads at them and they'll start to stutter and show a noticeable performance drop - it's where the simplified instruction set reaches its limits. (Before you start flaming, we're talking several hundreds threads here, far beyond what any average person would run on their computer.).

AMD built their CPUs on mainframe technology - to handle massive amounts of threads without losing a tick. Intel built theirs to handle everyday tasks (like games and video) at high speeds. Either way you get way more processing power than you actually need to play modern games. It's only if you do video rendering and 3D animations you'll ever be able to max out the CPUs.

However, the performance you actual get in 98% of games has more to do with what chipset (motherboard) you run, the graphics card(s) and the RAM, than the actual CPU itself. Modern CPUs simply have so much power, and the games don't use most of it, that you have to go really cheap on the CPU before it makes any significant difference.

AMD's GPUs (or rather ATI, AMD just owns the company and stick their label on it) are good, but be prepared to replace the card after 2 years max because AMD can't be bothered to make drivers for them beyond that. MOST games are optimized for Nvidia, though there are the occasional ones that are optimized for AMD, but run just fine on Nvidia. Nvidia generally offer you better performance if you play a lot of the latest games right on release, simply because their driver support is better.

As a side note: You should never run AMD CPUs over 3 GHz on stock coolers - they're loud and crap and you'll get heat problems. AMD systems in general take a little more fiddling to get running smoothly, but once you're there they're solid.

FWIW:

I love my AMD FX-8350. The first month after I got it (ordered it 3 weeks before it actually reached the shelves) I admit I was a bit upset and a tad pissed because it was impossible to do anything without it crashing or lagging, but a few patches later, fixing the timing issues and getting Windows up to the modern age of multitasking, and I have not had any issues since (atleast none that have anything whatsoever to do with the CPU). It runs rock solid, I've yet to play or do anything on it that could remotely max out the CPU or give me any indication that there's not enough power to handle things. I run pretty much all games on maximum settings at 60 fps or higher (Saints Row 3 typically runs around 120-160 fps). (I have a single GTX660 Ti overclocked because I couldn't afford the 680 or 690 so I have some limitations there). I can render in Vegas using all 8 cores at 98-99% load, and the machine is just as responsive as when it's idling.