• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

New proposed rating system. Is this ok?

19 posts in this topic

I have seen a lot of reviews lately, and most of them are just using numbers from 1 to 10 or stars. Some of the things reviewed, whether its games or movies, are either underrated or just overrated once you experienced them for yourself, so nominal scores aren't a good indicator of whether a game is worth your time or not. But there's reviewers like Jeremy Jahns that has probably the best rating ever by saying a movie is "dogshit" if its so bad, and "awesometacular" if its so great its awesome.

So now I am thinking of a new rating system for games that I think is a better indication if a game is good or not, along with the games that I personally think deserves those ratings:

1.) So bad that you stopped playing it after 10 minutes, the worst of the worst. Eg: ROGUE WARRIOR, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City

2.) Ok but after you played it you immediately trade it for something else. Mediocre games that you just want to pass through without needing to play it again. Doesn't mean the game is bad, in fact some critically favoured games can be here, its just mean that the game is so bland that you don't want to play a sequel of it. Eg: the entire Call of Duty games, Gears of War series, Dishonored, Crysis 3

3.) Games that you stopped playing right now but you plan to play them again later. Its a good game but for some reason you are not interested in playing them at the moment because its not enough to make you want to play till the end non stop. Eg: Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2, Bioshock 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Ninja Gaiden 1-3 (because these games are brutally freaking hard), basically any games that makes you switch weapons again and again like Diablo.

4.) So good that after you finished it, you are excited for the sequels (if there is any). Great games that is a joy to play from start to finish and make you want to play the sequels, but there's not much reason to play them again, possibly because there's no new game +. Eg: Deadly Premonition, Chronicles of Riddick, Crysis 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed 1-2, Scarface, Bourne Conspiracy, Mark of the Ninja, Bioshock 1 and Infinite, Splinter Cell Conviction, Dead Space 3, Virtue's Last Reward, 999, Halo games except ODST, Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Last Window, The Wheelman, Time Crisis 1-4, , G-Senjou no Maou (the Devil in G-major), Ever 17, RAGE, Tales of the Abyss, Ghost Trick and the entire Ace Attorney and Professor Layton series.

5.) So awesome you can play it over and over again and not get tired of them. Awesome games that after you finished them, you still want to play them again and again. Eg: Killer 7, Shadow of the Colossus, Last of Us, GTAV, the Uncharted games, Sid Meyer's Pirates, Mass Effect 1-2, Witcher 1-2, Deus Ex Human Revolutions, RE1-6, Dino Crisis 1-2 (remember this Jurassic Park + Resident Evil hybrid?), Xcom Enemy Unknown, Hitman 2- Absolution, Ninja Blade, Colosseum Road to Freedom, Sengoku Basara 1 - 3, Sleeping Dogs, God Hand and Sharin no Kuni.

So what do you guys think about this rating system? Good enough or need improvements? And if you guys have your own rating system with the games that deserves the rating, share it!

In these kind of review types there is too much undefined game types. It could be in the middle of 2-3 and you wouldn't know what to do. Or at least I won't :P I like the ideas though. Simple straight to the point telling people how they will react once they've played the game.

rairoken16 likes this

Looking interesting. Not sure about 3 tough....If i pick a game i will either see it to completion or abandon it forever. I don't see myself returning to it. But other then that i also agree with this type of category then the number based one.

2-3 is actually really easy to separate from one another. 3 is right down the middle, the game has good contents, but when you play it you get bored halfway because of being too difficult or too repetitive. You'll return to it right after you play other games. 2 on the other hand is just a game that's generic and bland till the end with nothing new to offer, so by the end of the first playthrough you will say "i'll trade this game in. Got all I can get out of it. next game!"

I don't think there should even be a rating system. Ideally people would write/speak about their thoughts on a game and that would be enough.

That cryptic message isn't clear enough man. So is it ok or not?

A rating system isn't too helpful.  I mean, in a rating of 1-10, how much better is an 8 over a 7?  In a five star system, how much better is a 3 over a 2? 

Here's how I do reviews.  I learn about a game.  I go on youtube and do a search.  I find videos.  I find reviews.  I go to reviews, and I skip to the middle of the video, the part where there's actual gameplay.  Does it LOOK interesting to me?  I listen to the comments being made, just for a little bit.  You can usually figure out within 30 seconds if the person is enjoying the game or not.  Then I stop watching.

I used to subscribe to Angry Joe and Totalbiscuit.  Now I only subscribe to Angry Joe.  TB is so dry and he says things like "this weapon doesn't have a very good sound asset".  WTF?  Angry Joe does reviews, but it's more than that, he's turned it into entertainment.  So he's worth watching all the way through.

No reviewer can make up my mind for me.  Rating systems even less so.  The only rating system that matter are player ratings.  For example, if you go into Steam you can see how others have rated a game - that's a better litmus test, imo.

That cryptic message isn't clear enough man. So is it ok or not?

No, I don't think any rating system is ok.

I mean for the rating that I put up just now. I know you don't think any rating system is ok but does mine give a clear message on whether the game is worth it or not?

Then if rating system isnt needed, what if people see DR Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Garry's Incident or War Z or Ride to Hell instantly and just buy them without knowing that those games are terrible games because there is no rating system? Shouldn't there be a rating system to warn people to stay the fuck away from these abominations?

Then what if people see DR Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Garry's Incident or War Z instantly and just buy them without knowing that those games are terrible games because there is no rating system?

reviews =/= ratings

I think the five step rating is a bit to steep. I like the 10 star/point rating system. Although these rating systems are completely subjective. My 8 might be different to your 8 and vice versa. 

This is just my personal rating system for the reviews of games that I am going to put out later, just to reinforce my points on a game.

I mean for the rating that I put up just now. I know you don't think any rating system is ok but does mine give a clear message on whether the game is worth it or not?

Then if rating system isnt needed, what if people see DR Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Garry's Incident or War Z or Ride to Hell instantly and just buy them without knowing that those games are terrible games because there is no rating system? Shouldn't there be a rating system to warn people to stay the fuck away from these abominations?

I don't think a desire to the play the game multiple times should be one of the main points of a rating. What blistered thumbs includes after their rating is probably the best avoid it, buy it now, for fans only, rent it, etc.

Reading a review or looking at the gameplay would stop people from buying them, I don't know what difference a rating would make.

Kaz32 likes this

Reviews are mostly based on the opinion of the reviewer. It's their job to tell you the pros and cons of the game yes, but those pros and cons may not be your pros and cons. Angry joe's opinion for the most part is similiar to mine...very angry =P

Sadly the best way to find out if a game is truly great or not is either buy it yourself and play or just watch alot of gameplay videos...

I don't think a desire to the play the game multiple times should be one of the main points of a rating. What blistered thumbs includes after their rating is probably the best avoid it, buy it now, for fans only, rent it, etc.

There you go! Finally a straightforward answer. Thanks for the feedback.

The desire to play the game multiple times for me is what makes a game worth the full price and more. That means the game warrants multiple playthroughs and not just as a "meh, i played it once, I'll trade it in now." Like XCom Enemy Unknown, State of Decay, Civ V, GTAV, Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption for example. These games have great contents that will make people keep the game and play them again when they don't have new games to play. Compare it to a game like Outlast or Amnesia or the Stanley Parable. These ones are unique in that their gameplay are minimal and you play it once and its done, but they offer such a great experience that you are satisfied and you can't wait for the sequel (if there is any).

I know you don't like GTA, Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption, but understand that the common people see things differently than you do.

I have seen a lot of reviews lately, and most of them are just using numbers from 1 to 10 or stars. Some of the things reviewed, whether its games or movies, are either underrated or just overrated once you experienced them for yourself, so nominal scores aren't a good indicator of whether a game is worth your time or not. But there's reviewers like Jeremy Jahns that has probably the best rating ever by saying a movie is "dogshit" if its so bad, and "awesometacular" if its so great its awesome.

So now I am thinking of a new rating system for games that I think is a better indication if a game is good or not, along with the games that I personally think deserves those ratings:

1.) So bad that you stopped playing it after 10 minutes, the worst of the worst. Eg: ROGUE WARRIOR, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City

2.) Ok but after you played it you immediately trade it for something else. Mediocre games that you just want to pass through without needing to play it again. Doesn't mean the game is bad, in fact some critically favoured games can be here, its just mean that the game is so bland that you don't want to play a sequel of it. Eg: the entire Call of Duty games, Gears of War series, Dishonored, Crysis 3

3.) Games that you stopped playing right now but you plan to play them again later. Its a good game but for some reason you are not interested in playing them at the moment because its not enough to make you want to play till the end non stop. Eg: Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2, Bioshock 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Ninja Gaiden 1-3 (because these games are brutally freaking hard), basically any games that makes you switch weapons again and again like Diablo.

4.) So good that after you finished it, you are excited for the sequels (if there is any). Great games that is a joy to play from start to finish and make you want to play the sequels, but there's not much reason to play them again, possibly because there's no new game +. Eg: Deadly Premonition, Chronicles of Riddick, Crysis 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed 1-2, Scarface, Bourne Conspiracy, Mark of the Ninja, Bioshock 1 and Infinite, Splinter Cell Conviction, Dead Space 3, Virtue's Last Reward, 999, Halo games except ODST, Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Last Window, The Wheelman, Time Crisis 1-4, , G-Senjou no Maou (the Devil in G-major), Ever 17, RAGE, Tales of the Abyss, Ghost Trick and the entire Ace Attorney and Professor Layton series.

5.) So awesome you can play it over and over again and not get tired of them. Awesome games that after you finished them, you still want to play them again and again. Eg: Killer 7, Shadow of the Colossus, Last of Us, GTAV, the Uncharted games, Sid Meyer's Pirates, Mass Effect 1-2, Witcher 1-2, Deus Ex Human Revolutions, RE1-6, Dino Crisis 1-2 (remember this Jurassic Park + Resident Evil hybrid?), Xcom Enemy Unknown, Hitman 2- Absolution, Ninja Blade, Colosseum Road to Freedom, Sengoku Basara 1 - 3, Sleeping Dogs, God Hand and Sharin no Kuni.

So what do you guys think about this rating system? Good enough or need improvements? And if you guys have your own rating system with the games that deserves the rating, share it!

So basically, you're saying

1) Don't touch the game

2) Rent it, beat it, forget about it

3)Beat it, might play it later

4) Beat it, Enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to see what's next

5) Everyone throw your money and underwear at this game. A game everyone should own.

Kaz32 likes this

I personally think rating systems for games are awful.

Should make a review and at the end, tl;dr all of your feelings for it in 10 words or less.

Or cop out and go with "Don't bother, rent, buy."

So basically, you're saying

1) Don't touch the game

2) Rent it, beat it, forget about it

3)Beat it, might play it later

4) Beat it, Enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to see what's next

5) Everyone throw your money and underwear at this game. A game everyone should own.

Number 3 is more like "good game, but might play it again later", but the other ones are pretty much spot on the target.

You actually made a better description than what I had! Thanks man.