• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Epicdee

Civ 5 Strategies

9 posts in this topic

I started this thread so members of the AJSA can discuss and share strategies for the game Civilization 5. I'm aware that a thread on Civilization already exists, but I feel that is more geared toward discussing the game in general whereas this topic is more for discussing strategies. This discussions in this thread should based on the Gods and Kings and Brave New World expansions, as elements from vanilla have been changed and startegy has been given more depth. On that note, here's my entry:

Over the many times I've played Carthage in Civ 5, I've developed my favorite strategy that will put you on the road to domination victory. Start the game (after making a worker and monument and stuff) building a large navy of quinqueremes if your capital is on the water. Carthage's ability to automatically start with a harbor is a boone to players that start near water because you don't have to ever build a road. As long as you build your cities on the water, you won't have to worry about city connections ever again. It is still recommended that you eventually build a road, however. If you start on land make a mad dash for the horseback riding tech and start making a large number of african forest elephants. Carthage's other ability to cross mountains after the first great general is obtained makes exploration easier and provides a quick route of escape from barbarians or whoever you happen to come across. The elephants and quinqueremes are strong enough to last you until the renaissance era. I also recommend researching construction to obtain the composite bowman, which makes a nice addition to your elephants. Set your quinqueremes to the automaticly explore the oceans for you, which is the easiest way to discover city-states and other civs. Focus on science or religion as a secondary objective to stay ahead of the other civs. By the time the elephants and quinqueremes have become obsolete, if you played your cards right, you should have a nice big empire. From there you play like any other civ, but by then you should have a huge empire and have met plenty of other civs. The abilities and special units help you immensly in the earlier eras, but as the game continues they become less useful. For example, anyone can cross mountains once they obtain air units, which are more powerful than melee units anyway, rendering the ability is useless. Still, I think that its an easy path to domination victory and a fun way to play the game.

Pete likes this

My favorites 

Mayan Mass City Spam -

Step 1- Get pagodas and cathedrals as your religious building (you have a lot more freedom with your pantheon pick) and try and get ceremonial burial or tithe. Build a national college and the liberty tree. 

Step 2- Build ALL OF THE CITIES and explore the world to get contact with every other civ. You can set most of your cities to 0 growth once they are at fourish. Send a trade route to your capital to ship food so it keeps growing. 

Step 3- Get all the religious tree techs. Grab "2 tourism per building bought with faith". The sheer amount of tourism you get, early game no less, is staggering. 

Also 

Venice "Stupidly Easy" strat. 

Step 1 - Play Venice on a tiny island map, to discourage warmongering. 

Step 2 - Early optics and puppet a near by city state, have it send 8 food back to Venice every turn. 

Step 3 - Do this 3 or 4 times, build National College, Iron Works and a crap ton of wonders. Leave a Trimere or two to keep away barbarians from your trade route. 

Step 4 - Win through tech or diplomacy, your pick. 

My favorite strategy is Venetian specialization.

Focus Venice itself on wonders and such, and while you're just focusing on that, just let your city-states grow as much as they can. They usually lead in buildings, which is nice for ideologies (Getting those three factories) and such.

Then when there's a break of wonders (Which happens when there's a wonder you don't want) you can build up your army with your high production.

Also, your Venetian Merchants can earn you a lot of money quickly, so you can buy your troops in the city states when you need them.

Basically if you wanna go for culture, you can amass a high amount of tourism (I did on my Venetian playthough) but most victory types except domination is possible.

Basically my version of ''Venetian stupidly easy''

Ehrm, I just build a shit ton of units, send them out to war, and then prey for the best >_<

Polynesia on Small Archipelago... Doesn't even require an explanation

I always just City Sprawl if I am not using India, gives lots of revenue, lots of places to create soldiers, lots of luxuries if I put them in the right place. This game favors those who create large empires, and but it will punish you if you get too large too fast.

I never figured out how to use Polynesia. I know on the archipelago map they're really good. But I've tried that and I got wiped out by Germany.

A good goal for the Celts.

Step 1: make sure you are close to or in a forest to take advantage of the faith, restart game if you aren't

Step 2: The pantheon is up to you, I usually pick the one that gives me border expansion or one of the ones that gives me culture for wine or stuff like that, depends on the resources around you. For religion perks, pick the one that gives the ability to by pre-industrial era units with faith and the one that strengthens fighting next to cities following this religion. Also go for the perk that makes religion spread faster and then even faster after printing press. And ones that make happiness and gold

Step 3: Use this to get a early advantage in the first half of the game and crush the other remaining civs, good domination victory, I'll think of others.

Pete likes this

As for the Celts, they're a mixed bag; having early access to patheons/religion means you can have really tall cities (for example, getting food growth rate beliefs), or even very wide empires spamming cities (grab those happiness beliefs and let your spam spread religion for you), so they're actually really flexible; and the Pictish Warrior is fantastic, be absolutely sure you crank several of them out before you unlock pikemen: when they upgrade, they keep their bonus for fighting outside friendly territory which makes them as strong as Longswords.

Overall, one strategy to consider (especially with BNW) is how you approach both settling and war [As a note, this is regarding the Single Player AI, obviously this is drastically different in multiplayer].  The diplomatic penalties for war -and even the science penalty for city numbers- means that war is much more about finesse.  Some suggestions I'd offer are:

• If you want war- at least early on- provoke it, don't declare it. Simply put, you can keep your relations with other nations high if you're the "defender" in a war.  Send missionaries into the country you want to fight and tell the AI to stuff it when they want your guys out of their land.  Settle cities near their borders, or even right in the path they are expanding; even though the AI gets scatterbrained about settling locations, they do try to go in one direction, and cutting them off makes them mad.  Even make demands of them.
  • Pay attention to their relationships. One thing I don't suggest in leveraging a war is flat denouncing- at least until you see how their other relationships go.  If they're friends with several people, denouncing them not only angers them, but also their friends.  Worse over, their friends could actually turn into war allies against you, be sure you know what fight you're picking.
  • Take what you need, leave them the rest. The more you take, the more other nations get wary or angry towards you.  Prioritize: Capitals should be the main target; it's usually their biggest, best developed city, and it's the only one you need to take for Domination wins.  Wonder farms, Cities surrounded by resources, and well developed cities (many science/production buildings) should be next on the list.  Cherry pick what is going to help you the most, and if it's not helpful, don't bother.  If you're in Renaissance or later, you can put a spy in a city and take a look at the entire city build to help you decide what to take.
  • Conquest is not genocide. Tying to the above, not only should you not bother with their weaker cities, but you really shouldn't wipe someone out completely.  This raises huge flags to the other AI, so always leave them with at least one little city.  They'll be too weak to be a threat after that, and your future victims will be less suspicious of you as you set up for your next targets....
  • Nobody likes a big bully. While related to the last few points, this is actually about who to target.  The guy who's last in the rankings and has 3 cities with no military? He/she shouldn't be the target if you can help it.  But the guy who's been getting big and powerful, has taken over a few city-states, and has been in 3-4 wars already?  That's one you want.  They'll already have a bad reputation, which can earn you allies through the enemy-of-my-enemy ideal.  Additionally, if they've had some success in their previous wars, they are someone you need to knock down a peg or two before they get too big to stop later.  And finally, if they've conquered CS/other AI cities, you can always liberate the puppet cities back to their old ownership. This gives you good diplomacy with other nations, not to mention an instant ally/city-state ally.  And if it was a capital city, the guy you save is already knocked out of the running from Domination victory- and probably dragging behind in everything else- so you not only get a good friend, but a good friend who can't challenge you for worldwide conquest.

Go forth and conquer, but remember, fight smart, not hard.

Pete likes this

Huns Easy Domination Victory-

Go right for the wheel and bronze working technologies to get the two special units you get as the huns. Build about 4-5 battering rams and 8-10 horse archers. The battering ram destroys a city in 2 or 3 hits, so ganging up on a city with a few battering rams will bring it down quickly. The horse archers are there to protect your battering rams and attack enemy units and stuff. You can just go from city to city, destroying civ after civ. If you play your cards right, you can take out every civ on the continent. In one of my games, I took out Spain, Venice, and I almost got Japan but my game crashed from a religion mod I was using.