• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheDefouler

The Oculus Rift

24 posts in this topic

What do you guys think about this new virtual reality headset? Will it change gaming, or will it just be a huge gimmick? Will they craft games around this new technology just as they have movie scenes that are extra close up for the new 3d crap.  Would you actually buy this headset? 

I think it will be a gimmick...nothing more.

But I  want this sooo muuuuuuch!!!

Best thing ever created :D. Would be awsoem to paly horror games with occulus rift

Best thing ever created :D. Would be awsoem to paly horror games with occulus rift

I agree about the horror games, I can't imagine playing that shit hahaha. what sucks is you can't back away when you get scared though because it's attached to your face  :lol:

It's not just horror, I belive it can definately work well with any first person perspective gameplay; like racing, shooters or maybe puzzles...

many people says it's to gimmicky but everyone who has used it loved it and said that it was the most unique and exiting gaming experience they've ever had so i'm pretty exited. 

Occolus rift is gonna be something. 3D is just pictures that pop out, Occolus rift is like seeing something with your own eyes.

Somehow get this working with Kinect and a decent moving platform (the one on kickstarter looks a bit cheap) and you have the tri facto of VR gaming, a holodeck 1.0. 

I'm intrigued more by what this can be in years to come with proper support, at the minute games where you sit still ie. flight and racing sims seem its best use, moving your body in VR without actually moving is quite sick enducing.

I'm very excited for it though and hope its a success.

Well ofcourse it will be a great experience because its really unique, but you try it out play about 10 hours, then probably you get bored and start to see all the shortages that you would like to have and have on the pc and consoles. Oculus rift technology would have to evolve for 10-20 years and than i would probably start to be interested.

Actually I would like to test 1, before I decide to buy one. But I must say I'm super intrigued by it. 

I fear that as awesome it can be, you won't be able to play with it for a long game session. I hope you can, but like I said. I want 2 try it before I buy it. 

I'm really looking forward to the Oculus Rift. Immersion in games is important and I wonder what sort of exclusives we might see. There's also the headset that Sony is working on, so who knows where this might go exactly.

At first I thought that the Oculus Rift would be a really cool new thing, you know? Something that would change gaming. However, after seeing what some people have done with it, I think it's just going to turn out like Kinect or the PS Vita. They have so much potential yet no game developers seem to be going anywhere with them. Just because I feel this way doesn't mean I don't want the Oculus Rift to vitalise gaming. I genuinely hope it does really well.

Everyone is enjoying the Oculus Rift, well just you guys wait until Meta Glasses are released. Then we can have AR gaming! (Augmented Reality) 

Looks like tons of fun.

I had the pleasure of trying the Oculus Rift about couple of weeks ago, and i don't think it's a gimmick. I was skeptical before i put the thing on, and it amazed me.

The problem i see with the Oculus, is that games have to be redesigned to support it.(UI information on the screen, FPS-Games having head-turn, etc)

But, i think its PERFECT for flight-sims. Oh and War Thunder already supports it.

I really like it. From what I seen it tracks your head movement really well and can provide a unique experience. 

Very excited. Won't be an early adopter though, I will wait for the inevitable competition to come along and innovate/drive down the prices.

I think it will be a gimmick, but I hope it succeeds.  I'm pretty sure my wallet will be lighter when to consumer model is released.

I do not think this is a gimmik.  I have watched a ton of videos on the oculus and everyone pretty much reacts the same.  The two most common reactions "wow..I cannot explain...you HAVE to try it to understand" and "I FEEL like I am actually here, in the game...like it's a real place.  This video sums it up pretty good.  It is an old video with the original dev prototype and not the HD prototype they are using now.  However, it shows most reactions.  The guy is obviously skeptical as hell until he puts on the rift and then blown away.  The thing that must be pointed out is that everyone who has tried it have said they feel like THEY ARE IN THE VR SETTING.  They are in the game.

There are some problems, some people get sick wearing it, while others don't.  The original dev kit did not have full position tracking (the consumer version will), the low resolution (consummer version will have a MINIMUM of 1080P).  The screen door affect..etc.  However, these are all supposdely already ironed out with the current internal prototype, so its all awesome sauce.

The best part?  They are shooting for the same price OR CHEAPER of the dev kit which costs $300 dollars.  That is insanely cheap for a VR system.  It isn't just games, but there are some really cool apps.  For example, there is VR theater, which creates a FULL IMAX SIZE theater that you can watch videos from.  Everyone who has tried it have said they feel like they are actually in a theater.

I want joe to try it out and give us his opinion.  However, to point out.  What is out is just the very early prototype dev kit 1.  The second version of the dev kit which will be very close to the consumer version will be out sometime next year along with the consumer version coming out soon after.

Those interested in keeping up with this should check out http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/ which keeps pretty up to date on this stuff.

Haven't really looked much at it but I did enjoy seeing a recent comment from the Among the Sleep devs on their Kickstarter page about what happened when they were showing the Oculus Rift.

"We even received a good scolding from EA, because our queue extended far into their booth"

Had the awesome chance to try out the Oculus Rift at a gaming expo earlier this year. Needless to say it was a truly awesome experience.

Whether it will become a gimmick or turn into a gaming staple is still yet to be seen. Hopefully, it will be the latter. There are many ways in which this type of gaming can help further the industry in terms of innovation, because there is a clear lack of it.

I feel like the headset will be an awesome step forward for movies and education as well as gaming, it will be a new way to experience a game and older styles to keep things fresh. I just hope it will turn out to be something that will last, and possibly even become a standard; Instead of dying out like the guitar hero breed and various Nintendo gimmicks that no longer have much play value other than the first few years(the games themselves are pretty good, just the gimmicks get old for me). For example I don't really use the 3D setting too much on my 3DS.... it kind of hurts my eyes after a while and gives me headaches, and after a while the games are pretty fun without the 3D so I kind of just keep it off. 

This headset shows much promise, I hope it will keep a lasting affect and have a surplus of well suited games for it!

Other than gaming though this headset has many practical uses nonetheless so a certain degree of success seems insured.