• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Deadpoolwins101

Sci-fi or Fantasy for RPG

41 posts in this topic

The Mass Effect Trilogy is the best RPG franchise today, although Richard Garriot's new game will probably be really good. I would also suggest looking at the old Knights of the Old Republic games, they are excellent Star Wars Expanded Universe games. The Elder Scrolls franchise is the best Fantasy RPG franchise, with a giant open world environment. Plus any game (Skyrim) that got a 10/10 from Joe is totally worth playing.

captainroyy likes this

I'm still waiting for a proper action mmo set in Space. I think Tera has the whole action mmo going in the right direction but I really want a sci-fi game i can immerse myself in.

Fantasy RPGs, probably because im also a big DnD player, but its always good to play a sci-fi RPG to freshen things up.

I actually really like it when you mix the two. Essentially Sci-fi with magic, It can create some very interesting settings. Mostly referring to WH40k.

But if its just one or the other, well depends on my mood, right now i'm in a scifi mood.

Definitely science fiction but some fantasy settings are amazing, like Oblivion and Skyrim. It's all about creating a believable world but I'm a sucker for science fiction.

If sci-fi is done right, I like it. If fantasy is done right, I like it.

If sci-fi isn't done right, I don't like it. If fantasy isn't done right, I don't like it.

So really, it depends on whether or not it's done right.

zawisz likes this

Both are good, if done right.

Can't tell which I would choose if I only could choose one, thank god I don't have to ;)

Mass Effect Trilogy is one of the best SciFi/Fantasy RPG's ever well done and crafted.thought ME3's ending choices sucked.

I always love a classical Fantasy RPG but lately the Sci-fi RPGs gaining some prominance and it is a good thing to have options ! 

Fantasy but if someone is ever going to make a good rpg in Star Trek's world i'm gonna change my vote.

I'm a sucker for some great Sci-fi and I think there are far less Sci-fi RPGs than fantasy so it's always exciting when a great sci-fi one comes around (Mass Effect being one of my favourite series of all time!) and I'm super pumped for Cyberpunk 2077 :D

Personally I prefer fantasy, but if the game is done right it doesn't really matter. 

fantasy, i say it has more freedom while being more restricted. if it makes sense? magic and mechanics (eg lightning guns) float in a fantasy setting while in a sci fi i feel melee wouldnt be an option and i always think "i could just blow the whole place from orbit" so in a way i find the restrictions of fantasy actually give more freedom of rational and balanced choice.

I like both. I've mostly only played Fantasy RPGs and usual am quite happy with what I've played, but I'm a Star Wars fanatic so KOTOR was pretty good too.I feel like there's a lot more potential for Sci-Fi RPGs in the future just because the Fantasy RPGs genre has been around almost as long as video games have been around, and so a lot has already been done and seen. I haven't played Mass Effect yet, I'm looking to in the near future.

I prefer fantasy

I am a fan of both. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, even Sci-Fi Fantasy. It's rather hard for me to choose one over the other since I was brought up with both concepts when I started playing RPGs. But it's also important to note that either can be done horrendously. I wish to see more well executed Modern-Setting RPGs. That'd be killer.

Sci Fi if you haven't got somthing like mass effect. when i started I didn't got why you could only take so few men with you. Fantasy if i look at The witcher 3 witch seems too good to be true, but I also had that feeling of the second one that blew my expectations. Wonderfull game.

I'm a massive RPG fan, as long as the game can pull you in to its story and world it does not make a difference to me if its sci-fi or fantasy, there are some great games out there in both settings.

I like both but ultimately I have to go with fantasy since I just seem to enjoy them just somewhat more, games like Dragon Age, The Witcher, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and so forth are just so fun.

Both, hell, you could even do an RPG in a modern setting for all I care. Setting is rather irrelevant for the 'RPG' name. Its all about the gameplay, if you ask me. How about... a space bunny that crash lands its space ship onto a fantasy planet and has to fight dragons and zombies. We now have an amusingly stupid sci-fi/fantasy mix. lol