• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

LittleCodingFox

MMORPG suggestions

22 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I've been playing Guild Wars 2 lately but as of the recent update they've released I sort of feel like the game is getting boring: All new updates don't add much that actually makes the game fun, and I'm getting tired of simply leveling up a character.

So, I'd like to ask the AJSA community for some MMORPG suggestions, preferably F2P or paid MMORPGs without a subscription, something with quality rather than those typical F2P MMOs which try to be a crappy clone of WoW. +1 for any sandbox-ish MMOs! Any suggestions would be welcome really.

Thank you, everyone!

Rift.... The only MMORPG i liked nearly as much as WoW: WotLK ;)

Try The Secret World, it's a really unusual MMO.

I will suggest Tera

It's an action pace combat like Vindictus, and Neverwinter.

Use to be a paid subscription game, but now its free to play with an optional monthly fee to become a Elite Member.

I do not play as much anymore but my guild does and I heard they added in alot of new content. Like Guild alliance system and sieges, new raids, etc.

I played Tera and Guild Wars 2 and I will say if you are getting tired of GW2, try Tera out. It has a beautiful open world, and since you want a MMO that is f2p and has quality I will recommend you try it out.

http://tera.enmasse.com/

OriginalSpiff likes this

Does it have to be PC?

I'm a WoW player, and I've done a fair share or Tera, but the PS4 has a few really fun MMO options that are F2P. Granted, you need a /PS4/ which is sort of a large hurdle, but if you like sitting down with a gamepad now and then it's great way to test stuff out. Def try DC/Tera, though they might remind you of WoW at some points. That's sort of unavoidable at this point. WoW's just been around longer.

If it wasn't for the RPG/PC requirement, I'd suggest GTAV or even something like the new Zelda for an open world experiance. Both are quite fun and great to just pick up and play for anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours.

Hope you find something you like! :D

World of Battles Morningstar, its a very good strategy game, you will like it, there are very few games like that.

I'll recommend Tera as well, especially if you want something that doesn't feel like WoW or GW2. The combat is a little more challenging than most other MMOs because of the FPS style controls and having to physically move out of the way to dodge attacks, but it makes it much more interesting, It also means that stats on gear are simplified, because instead of hit/avoidance/mitigation stats, it's all up to you to make sure your attacks hit and the foes miss you.

if you do like the game, it is highly recommendable to track down a physical copy of the game (they don't make those anymore) or buy a game key online. Reason is with a key you get upgraded to veteran status - that is you get the benefits of everyone that bought the game before it went free. With Veteran status you get 8 character slots instead of 2, full 4 bank tabs instead of 1, and a few other things I forgot. With the registration you also get a month of Tera Club (the subscription) though it's not a big significance. Buying the game is the cheapest way of getting more character and bank slots, but there are very few copies left in the world (Amazon had 12 left when I bought mine). Though when you buy it you have to make sure it's for the same region you play in - Europe, US, or Asia.

Tera does have its moments where you wonder "why did they make it like that" and occasionally some of the features just seem like they went out of their way to make it different than other games. Could just be because it's a Korean game and that's how they do things over there.

There's a lot of different types of MMOs, and games people try to call MMOs. If you want good suggestions, it'd be best to provide more info on what you're looking for from a game, or else all people will do is rattle off a bunch of names of ones they personally like. It's also possible that while you've gotten yourself currently fixated on MMOs, other games could provide what you want just as well, or better.

I'm looking more for an MMO that is either a sandbox MMO (in that I can actually do stuff that impacts the world preferably, rather than temporarily changing places for a character faction's war zone), or some MMO whose combat isn't the typical "click on skill and wait while character does things for you. Or at least something that improves on systems such as crafting and combat rather than copy WoW as every other MMO does. I'd like something that basically doesn't become boring I guess, or is interesting in many ways at least.

TERA, cause MMO's are grindfest and there is no point to pay money every month for something what you will be doing for a next whole year over and over (if you are lucky to get out of that grindfest and move on).

MMORPG's are holding people in xp trap.

I'm looking more for an MMO that is either a sandbox MMO (in that I can actually do stuff that impacts the world preferably, rather than temporarily changing places for a character faction's war zone), or some MMO whose combat isn't the typical "click on skill and wait while character does things for you. Or at least something that improves on systems such as crafting and combat rather than copy WoW as every other MMO does. I'd like something that basically doesn't become boring I guess, or is interesting in many ways at least.

Sandbox is a pretty broad and vague term that is often misused. It used to mean "do what you want", but in most games that claim to have sandbox mode, it's typically just a playmode where you can do things with fewer restrictions.

MMOs cover many different interests and genres. They all do a lot of things similar, but some try to change it up a little to make it more interesting.

MMOs where your actions impact the world: Guild Wars 2 or Rift are the only ones (afaik) that really do that - though not fully permanent changes. There is another Korean one (in Korean only) where there a villages where every building is built by players, but the name escapes me - Yogscast did a spotlight on it a long while ago.

"Click and wait"... is a bit trickier to tackle. Tera and Guild Wars 2 (that I have played) both have very active combat systems where you have to keep moving and dodging. I believe others do as well - active defense is "the new thing" in MMOs. As for for the waiting... every ability you have, you basically have to wait for the animations in every game (not just MMOs), you can't really get around that. There are a few older MMOs that use combat system similar to Tera's, but Tera's is slightly simplified in some ways, and it has momentum which I enjoy (meaning the weapons have weight. If you miss a swing you'll be hurled forward because of the weight of your weapon).

Crafting... even trickier. Every game seem to do it differently.

• Star Wars: The Old Republic lets you (and pretty much forces you to) having your crew do the actual crafting, and you can send them on special missions for rare crafting materials. The crafting is otherwise a lot like WoW, though many of the best recipes are ones you have to discover by making lower quality items (and in their brilliance it's easier to do that as subscriber). Gathering is just like WoW.
  • Tera's gathering systems is exactly like WoW, except with far fewer materials you can gather that way - instead it has a lot of materials (mainly parts called "runes") that are random drops from mobs. The crafting is time consuming and expensive and involves a bit of chance, and to a very large degree many of the crafts are nearly pointless except at the highest level (just like WoW).
  • Guild Wars 2 does crafting in a very "realistic" way where you have to craft every subcomponent of something before you can make the actual item. It does it in a very enjoyable and fast way though. Gathering is partly like WoW, partly by chance (like you can mine metals, cut down trees, or gather herbs in the wild, but things like sticks of butter and walnuts you have to be lucky to get from mobs). Guild Wars 2 is also one of the only games where you can store endless amounts of crafting materials in a special storage that does not take up space from your bank or bag space. It also offers a random crafting system where you can mix items together to discover how to make new magical items (yet to try it, but it sounds pretty cool).
  • Star Trek Online has a crafting system where you buy the basic template for what you want to make (like a phaser bank or photon torpedo) and then mix it together with a few (specific) materials to make the item. STO has tiered equipment (1 through 12), but the actual stats of all items is completely random (including quest rewards). Gathering in that game is done by collecting materials from anomalies wherever you go - usually there's 3-4 anomalies on every planet and in the space around it - though certain areas have none. Though some hate it, the gathering is quick and easy and is made to be something you do because you're there anyway (and Star Trek is about discovering strange new things). Though the crafting is not that unique. it has recurring events where you can craft using fewer materials, which means most people collect and gather materials, and just save them up for the next crafting event, and then craft as much as they can. Events in STO typically last an hour or two, but are repeated a couple times during a 24 hr period to favour the fact that people play on different times of the day.

There are many more games though. Those are just some of the ones I've played.

As for games that don't get boring - that's a subjective (as in personal) issue. The main reason for playing an MMO is purely for the social aspects - singleplayer games often give a more enjoyable gameplay (though less replay value typically). Most people get sick of MMOs because they don't have any friends to play with, or at least people they enjoy talking to. Picking a genre you enjoy won't necessarily mean you'll enjoy the game more. There are for instance many people in STO that are not Star Trek fans and have never watched the series or the movies, but still enjoy the game because it has a very solid space combat system (ground combat is a bit meh unfortunately). We have a ton of people in SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic) that enjoy the game mostly because it's not your average medieval-style MMO (it is very much like WoW otherwise despite the lightsabers and laser pistols). There are many reasons for enjoying a game, and unless you try several of them you won't really know if you like the game or not.

LittleCodingFox likes this

I guess you're right, maybe I should stop trying to play MMOs if I know I'll get bored of them easily unless there's a really huge reason for me to play constantly, such as a "worldbuilding" game or an actual living world (which are my #1 reasons to really want to play any game, but can't be found in pretty much any game together).

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Rift is pretty good. Lots of stuff to do. Tera is a really good game as well, though smaller than than rift in a way, but still has a good amount of content. Both of those games are completely free to play as well. No pay to win. I still jump on Tera every now and then, and has a good population.

SteelRodent, the MMO you cant remember is probably ArcheAge.

Had to google it, but yeah that's the one. It actually looks a lot like Tera graphically.

Also came across this:

In 2012, an XL Games studio representative said he expected ArcheAge to be released in North America at the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014.

I'd advise avoiding F2P MMOs completely. Most of them have very toxic environments as the people playing don't care about what happens as they don't really need to invest anything but a few hours here and there. I've been playing/testing/reviewing MMO games for the last 4 years and everytime I end up back with WoW.

I'd advise avoiding F2P MMOs completely. Most of them have very toxic environments as the people playing don't care about what happens as they don't really need to invest anything but a few hours here and there. I've been playing/testing/reviewing MMO games for the last 4 years and everytime I end up back with WoW.

I'd say you are very wrong.

You just discounted just about every MMO in existence. WoW, LineAge I and II, and EQ2 are basically the ONLY major MMOs still alive that are purely sub based. The quality of the community has nothing to do with whether the game is free or not. It has all to do with how the game is designed.

WoW has one of the worst communities I have ever experienced in any kind of game because the sheer design of it attracts a lot of children and its competitive nature turn many people into assholes. It is the only game I've played where the public chat channels are borderline pointless because they're full of people whining and bashing each other. When you have a game design where playing with other people means you have to compete for loot, people get incredibly aggressive and intolerant and continuously steal loot rather than allowing a fair distribution. It also does not help that Blizzard completely ignores complaints about the community going to hell because they won't enforce their own rules.

SWTOR has its share of idiots, but overall the community is far more mature and helpful than WoW - you only get stupid answers if you ask the same question as 50 other people did before you a few seconds before.

STO and Tera in my experience both have very friendly and helpful communities far beyond what WoW has ever had, and they are both very much free and have rather high populations after they went free.

For a lot of games, not just MMOs, the accompanying official website forums are usually always a cesspool that is best avoided. It doesn't even matter what the target audience of the game is.

elsword or wow i play both but wow has one of the strongest fanbases alive

how about EVE online, Archeage (when it comes to NA and EU), everquest next, and black desert? to be honest. there are no really good mmos out right now. the mmo community seems to be fading due to nothing original coming out. Also most mmos don't have a lot of community worth to them. example: guild wars 2. its a great game, but it lacks any guild benefits. which has resulted in the game being kinda plain. community and social actions are what make mmos good. this ranges from simple things such as just siting down in the chairs in an Inn to huge events that the server can take part in and actually change things in the world. not just a leader board that you have to tab out of the game to even see. and lastly, if the can balance player run mmos with standard model mmos it would be great. most of the time the crafting system is way over looked by the raid system and pvp. making it so there is no point to crafting since you can get better weapons or buff from pvp in a shorter amount of time.

that's just how I feel about it. players need to be able to ROLL PLAY the characters they make. giving them freedom to either choose to be the best god damn dragon slayer in the land or the best god damn blacksmith in all the land. mmo + freedom = good mmo (imo)

MMOs are shared experiences, as such there usually isn't much that causes a continued and meaningful change to the world, if you want that, it'd be best to stick with single player games. Some offer some degree of this (Anarchy Online, Wakfu, EVE Online, Second Life), but it's usually not too significant due to the shared nature of MMOs, or it is significant but the game can be very community based rather than combat related. Guild Wars 2 is not a game that actually let's you change much of anything, it gives you the feeling you did a little with dynamic events, but that effect lasts about ten minutes.

For active combat all there really is in MMOs are TERA, RaiderZ, Guild Wars 2, I think Age of Conan had that to some degree, then various others that have not been released yet. There's client based online games that some call MMOs, but aren't, like Continent of the Ninth, Vindictus, Dragon Nest, and others, but those are town hub instance based games. Due to how actual MMOs technically work with everything handled on the servers, they're just not going to provide the same combat of a single player game, as the technology to handle it well isn't there, or would be too expensive. TERA for instance tries to do this, but still has to slow it down, and simplify it some. As we move forward this will improve some, but short of something simpler to start with like seen in a Diablo type game such as the first Lineage (it was shut down in North America years ago), don't expect single player game like combat in a MMO any time soon.

Crafting systems are all over the place, some may just be more time consuming than others. For instance you may need to gather the stuff yourself with gatherings being a skill to be leveled up as well, there can be way too many items to get in some cases, some can be stupidly rare in comparison to the other parts, and so on. With some it's just a huge time drain, if it's not too hard to get parts you could be swimming in materials you may not have room for if you're not actively trying to use it up, or selling it off, like you would in Guild Wars 2 for instance. I like crafting well enough, but don't really go in expecting too much from the crafting system in a MMO.

What you find boring, and what I find boring could be two very different things.

One other point is the whole "every MMO tries to copy WoW" type comment while popular, is very incorrect. WoW copied a great deal from the MMOs that came before it, all WoW really did was get the immense casual crowd into MMOs, not so much for the game itself, as the marketing and names associated to it. Playing MMOs was the "in" thing to do, so many got into them, although MMOs aren't for everyone. With all the free to play online games out there now though, many keep trying them.

• Guild Wars 2 does crafting in a very "realistic" way where you have to craft every subcomponent of something before you can make the actual item. It does it in a very enjoyable and fast way though. Gathering is partly like WoW, partly by chance (like you can mine metals, cut down trees, or gather herbs in the wild, but things like sticks of butter and walnuts you have to be lucky to get from mobs). Guild Wars 2 is also one of the only games where you can store endless amounts of crafting materials in a special storage that does not take up space from your bank or bag space. It also offers a random crafting system where you can mix items together to discover how to make new magical items (yet to try it, but it sounds pretty cool).

In Guild Wars 2 you can deposit gathered crafting items into your bank from anywhere, which is nice. Although the materials are not hard to get, there's a lot of them, a bank stack is 250 units, you'll need much more than 250 units to level your crafting skills, but if you're not using them up as you gather them you'll have in excess of 250 units before long. To gather from nodes, and take items apart you need to keep buying items from in-game shops, or buy stuff from the cash shop, which is annoying. The discovery system is also rather "meh" to be honest with you. Items of the same type always follow the same sort of pattern (ex: dagger hilt + dagger blade + effect item = dagger). Also when you go to the discovery section it'll limit the items you can drop in as you go along, and tell you flat out if it will or won't make something, so there's not really too much discovering to do, especially what with all the websites that have everything documented now.

Fallen Earth

A lot of people say that it's a rip off of the Fallout games,but it's different and really fun and addicting.

It's not a perfect game however, there are occasionally bugs and other stuff like that.

The gameplay lays around crafting everything you own, making every stuff along the way.