• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Bamagiotis

SONY charges online on PS4?

65 posts in this topic

I just checked and if this is true i have to say shame,really.They started making online passes on ps3 and now this? :angry:

How great is that!? <_<

If they charge 1$ per year i'd gladly pay for it.With so many people that will be owning a ps4 will give them way too much with 1$ each.

Anyway for sure offline play :)

Unfortunately, the demanding of such pristine hardware at such a low price took a hit, so they had to implement PS+ to be required for online play. On the other hand, PS+ gives such extensive and worthwhile deals. It was only implemented to acquire some of the lost funds from development.

Look on the bright side, you still don't see advertisements scrolling across the menu at the home screen unlike another console, right?

Kjrocksoutloud likes this

We've known about this for a long time now. Yes they are charging for online through playstation Plus however it is somewhat better then Xbox One due to the fact that on PS4 you can still use online apps like Netflix without having the need of PS+ while on Xbox One you need Xbox Live Gold in order to use them.

You have to be a PS+ user to be onlie, but no every game need a ps+ account the free to play games dont need this, and the app work with out one

I'm actually in favor of the PS+ requirement for multiplayer. More $$=Better Servers. You still get all of the benefits, such as free games and discounts.

Also, PS+ isn't required for F2P games, such as DC Universe Online and Planetside 2, so you can hop right on and play without a PS+, unlike Xbox Live, which forces you to have a Gold membership to even play "Free"-to-Play games (I use quotations because you're still paying for Gold in order to play something like Happy Wars or World of Tanks, so technically, it's not F2P.)

Overall, I believe that PS+ has more value than Xbox Live, imo. It's also cheaper than Xbox Live, at US$49.99 for 12 months, compared to US$59.99 for a 12 month Xbox Live membership.

Nasty Note and Bamagiotis like this

Why do people even complain about this?

They willingly throw money at in game cash shops but when a company asks for a very small sub fee to play online they act like they have been insulted.

Encoding and server maintenance is hard.

And also if you are paying for it you tend to care more. Look at what happened to swtor and I assume wow. You let people play free they jst run amuck and ruin the game for those that care. Abusing the roll aystems or flooding the trade channels with spam.

I support sub fees.

since I got PSN+ I never even though of going back. it's only 50$ a year + you can get it while they have the deal "spend 50$ and get 10$ back" so it comes back to 40$ and you can buy a game. Also psn+ gives you free games and the more system you have from sony the more stuff you get which leads to getting one or more games per week. Furthermore every deal they put out on psn you get an extra discount, for example, without psn+ a game could get to 10$ but it'll be 5$ if you can psn+

This system was announced a long while back, this part of the whole thing where you have to be a PSplus member to play disc based/digital games (except free to play) has been around for some time as well. How do you hop on the internet and not know this tidbit?

as a current playstation plus memeber, i can say without a doubt that i have yet to regret being on the subscription but i can see how non-subscribers would be hesitant, because thats joining a contract for whatever months (or month) and you have no idea exactly what it provides, sure there is free games but who knows what they put up so i can clearly understand why someone would second guess it but with that said a person who used to be on that side and came over during the times when it wasn't necessary in order to go online, i can't go back ive always had at least one game each month that just has made it worth it, this month had metal gear rising, and before that i've had assassins creed 3, far cry 3 and dragons dogma. they will be releasing ps4 game to playstation plus and i've made it a thing to just get anygame they give for free and just add it to my history so if i ever wanna play it it's there, if your a gamer you can't pass that up unless your broke in which case do what you gotta do.

Nasty Note likes this

The reason I think this happened was because of when they announced this, Microsoft were going through the whole 'You can't share games, you don't don't own games, you need internet all the time.....' phase. So Sony thought 'Ooooh, we could make a little money from the online now and everyone will still buy PS4s! Hooray!' But then Microsoft pulled it all back and Sony kept the charge for online in. It's almost as if Microsoft planned the whole thing.....

believe me, you will get every penny worth it in free games and exclusives. 

Can't upvote this enough.

believe me, you will get every penny worth it in free games and exclusives. 

I'm actually in favor of the PS+ requirement for multiplayer. More $$=Better Servers. You still get all of the benefits, such as free games and discounts.

Also, PS+ isn't required for F2P games, such as DC Universe Online and Planetside 2, so you can hop right on and play without a PS+, unlike Xbox Live, which forces you to have a Gold membership to even play "Free"-to-Play games (I use quotations because you're still paying for Gold in order to play something like Happy Wars or World of Tanks, so technically, it's not F2P.)

Overall, I believe that PS+ has more value than Xbox Live, imo. It's also cheaper than Xbox Live, at US$49.99 for 12 months, compared to US$59.99 for a 12 month Xbox Live membership.

I´m with these guys, I would really enjoy better servers and the deals you get (discounts and free games) every month are awesome.

I don´t mind paying for something that´s going to make my experience more enjoyable.

DTakes23 likes this

PS + is awesome and for $5 a month it really shouldn't be a problem.  If you can afford a PS4 you can afford $5 a month for the service provided by Sony, not to mention the free games, with a one year sub to PS + you'll probably get that back by downloading a couple of free games or making use of the savings in the PSN store. 

We were lucky on the PS3 not to have to pay for online, I changed to PS + not long ago and I loved it so I really have no problem with it being essential for online play on PS4.  At least it's not mandatory to use online apps like MS is.

Playstation plus is worth it so much, the amount of games ive got to play that i usually wouldn't is amazing, got so many varietys to and their recent games as well, plus they also bring back classics:D 

SimplyMonkey likes this

I just checked and if this is true i have to say shame,really.They started making online passes on ps3 and now this? :angry:

How great is that!? <_<

If they charge 1$ per year i'd gladly pay for it.With so many people that will be owning a ps4 will give them way too much with 1$ each.

Anyway for sure offline play :)

I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. When you invest money in a company, product or service - chances are that it will improve significantly. Well...unless the company is greedy as hell. But Sony's past doesn't reflect a greedy company.

I'm actually switching from Microsoft to Playstation. PS4 will be my first Playstation. I'm happy to pay. I want to help them grow their service and achieve their full potential. In this kind of market, you need money to compete with a company like Microsoft.

SimplyMonkey likes this

I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. When you invest money in a company, product or service - chances are that it will improve significantly. Well...unless the company is greedy as hell. But Sony's past doesn't reflect a greedy company.

I'm actually switching from Microsoft to Playstation. PS4 will be my first Playstation. I'm happy to pay. I want to help them grow their service and achieve their full potential. In this kind of market, you need money to compete with a company like Microsoft.

Welcome to Playstation :)

OriginalSpiff likes this

Well with the online still being $10 cheaper than the 360s I really can't complain. It's for the better in almost every way. I already had a psplus membership last gen and it was 100% worth it

Nasty Note likes this

It's $5, yes, but... That's less then a movie ticket (or the gas to get there) and it's hours of otherwise /free/ gameplay. XBO doesn't have a great counter to this, and if you own a Vita, you have even more. Totally worth it, promise.

Yeah I don't have time to play half the free games I've been getting on PS+... so it does feel more worth it.

I have a PS3 500gb hard drive 90% full. 95% of THAT is bonus games from PS Plus. Yep, i will happily pay the fee for that. Thank you very much.

ezio_altair747 likes this