• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Bamagiotis

SONY charges online on PS4?

65 posts in this topic

5 bucks per month, is ok for me. if we want better stuff (servers and so) there would be always a fee to keep everything ok. 

best regards 

I'm actually in favor of the PS+ requirement for multiplayer. More $$=Better Servers. You still get all of the benefits, such as free games and discounts.

Also, PS+ isn't required for F2P games, such as DC Universe Online and Planetside 2, so you can hop right on and play without a PS+, unlike Xbox Live, which forces you to have a Gold membership to even play "Free"-to-Play games (I use quotations because you're still paying for Gold in order to play something like Happy Wars or World of Tanks, so technically, it's not F2P.)

Overall, I believe that PS+ has more value than Xbox Live, imo. It's also cheaper than Xbox Live, at US$49.99 for 12 months, compared to US$59.99 for a 12 month Xbox Live membership.

i mean the benefits are good but from my understanding the money doesnt go to better servers, it just opens online for you, but like i've said still a great value to me and im not turning back.

I just checked and if this is true i have to say shame,really.They started making online passes on ps3 and now this? :angry:

How great is that!? <_<

If they charge 1$ per year i'd gladly pay for it.With so many people that will be owning a ps4 will give them way too much with 1$ each.

Anyway for sure offline play :)

i can see how the idea of paying for online seems like a bother, because thats exactly what it is, there is no two ways about it but i mean if the only way you would be happy about a subscription would if it where 1 dollar a year thats pretty selfish ( obviously im assuming you exaggerating), i mean subscriptions are becoming a larger part of the generation, if you look at netflix, spotify and what not that are becoming a reaching a larger base and its not like you're being cheated, they provide free games and what not to provide quality for the service. i know its hard to defend it with you looking at it from the outside looking in, but im sure if you ask most people the people inside don't regret it, its just the price you pay for quality and now online.

It's a bit of dick move from Sony to charge for a service that should be free. BUT, you get free games automatically with that privilege to play online. That is a 100x better than paying XBOX Live for several years just to be able to play online, p(l)ay netflix and surf with internet explorer (been waiting my whole life to do that). 

But still, I'm quite unsure whether to get the PS4 or just stay with the PC. I guess time will tell. More money in my pocket :)

Its not a surprise that they started charging for internet, since one they had to lower the price of the PS4 and two their Company is struggling as it is. 

Actually PSN+ is not required to play online for all titles. I will check again to confirm and post the source but as i remember it( i heard it around the time they announced the console), it is a developer based decision. Also their will be free to play games that do not require PSN+

Actually PSN+ is not required to play online for all titles. I will check again to confirm and post the source but as i remember it( i heard it around the time they announced the console), it is a developer based decision. Also their will be free to play games that do not require PSN+

I don't remember seeing this anywhere. Free-to-play games do not require PS+, but I was pretty sure that PS+ is required for all other multiplayer games.

Pay for online is kinda good. It means that Sony has money to back up the online servers and make it harder for it to be hacked, like xbox live, as long as it's a reasonable price.  

I would rather it still be free but at five bucks a month it is a pretty good deal for PS+. How much does it cost on PS3? I thought it was more than that.

I would rather it still be free but at five bucks a month it is a pretty good deal for PS+. How much does it cost on PS3? I thought it was more than that.

PS Plus is one price for PS3, Vita, and PS4. It's one service, and it's always costed the following:

$9.99 for one month

$17.99 for 3 months ($6/month)

$49.99 for one year ($4.17/month)

Jetsboy5077 likes this

Its worth it. If your paying for the live, even at such a low price, you'll get benefits. The free games you will get on top of the better servers for online play will make 5 dollars look like free. I know for my ps3 I have gotten free games like kingdoms of amalur: reckoning, which I am loving by the way, from sony. As long as the live stays cheap, us PS gamers have it good here. A lower price point with better hardware and better exclusives, in my opinion, its impressive their charging such a low price in the first place

SlyCooperFan1 likes this

It's worth it for what they're asking! I don't have much of a problem with this!

Service might be better than on PS3 tough.

Ive been a plus member for a year now it's dope u get your money's worth

Well, I guess as long as it is only 5$ per month and they back it up with lots of free games etc. it's not to bad.. on the other hand I'm worried that if nobody protests they might someday charge even more for multiplayer - a service that should be free as we've already paid for it by buying the game!

Let's hope they'll give us great service for our money...

I definitely don't like where sony is going with this. It's a good deal now, yes, but i'm worried they'll get too comfortable with it and start charging more or decreasing the amount of free games.

I definitely don't like where sony is going with this. It's a good deal now, yes, but i'm worried they'll get too comfortable with it and start charging more or decreasing the amount of free games.

Seeing as how the service has been around since June 29, 2010 at the same exact price, I don't think you need to worry about this.

I had a ps3 for years and when I got a 360 and had to pay for online I was a little pissed. I mean the network experience was a little better, especially in terms of party chat and network speeds. However that didn't feel worth the price. I got ps+ before it became apparent that you would need it to play mp, and it has been a phenomenal value. I have more games than I could possibly play. Essentially all those games you were on the fence about you get a chance to play (at least for me). I would never have bought hitman until it was really cheap simply because I had so many other games I was interested in. Showed up free on  plus and it was a nice change of pace and also free. If they continue this on ps4, it's awesome. 

Here in Australia it costs $70 a year and even then it's well worth the money. I'm in my second year with it and if I go back through my history, I've grabbed something along the lines of $300 worth of games for both PS3 and PSVita. Now with the PS4, you'll get a copy of Drive Club (when it comes out) when you transfer from PS3 to PS4, which is worth the same amount as a one year membership. Sony knows that if you're going to pay for something, then you better get your moneys worth. Though I can't atest for Xbox Live memberships as even though we have 2 Xbox 360 consoles in the house, neither one is hooked up to a paid Xbox Live account.

markizazn likes this

This was announced a while ago. I don't see why it really makes that much of a difference though. Unlike the Xbox One, you can still play those Freemium online games without Playstation Plus and you can watch Netflix/Youtube and what not.

Its a shame that now Online Play has tied itself to PS+ but it is what it is.

Cheaper than Xbox, and you get free games. whats not to love.

Personally, I do not like it.  I prefer that online is free, just like the PS3, Wii, and even the Wii U.  I can understand why they have to do it, but it really annoys me that they have to go that route.  Is there any way to change their minds on this act, guys?

With high demand server cost and maintenance I can understand why it was necessary to go this route.  But i can say this that the PSN+ membership is worth the money.  Not only do you get huge discounts but you also get an instant library of games for you to play for free so long as you are a member, and they add new games to the library every month.  Now PSN+ can be great but depending on the region you are in, if you are in the US PSN+ chances are that you are going to get a few bad months (the free games that get added are either for the vita ONLY or poor quality)  now dont get me wrong US PSN+ do add Triple A tittles from time to time and most of the Tripple A's they add are worth playing(Xcom, Kingdoms of amalur, Vanquish, uncharted 3, Dragons dogma).  But when you go to the European region of PSN+ they have a much richer library full of Triple A games that have been praised by the masses and that they demand to be played.  Such examples like: Far cry 3,  Batman Arkham city, Giana Sisters, Jack and daxter HD collection, Remember me, Assasins creed revelations and metal gear rising.

Overall the PSN+ membership is very much worth the money