• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

LoreMaster

Which Tabletop System?

Which Tabletop System?   65 members have voted

1. 1. If the Angry Army fixes up a tabletop session on skype/roll20, which system do you wish to be played?

• Dungeons & Dragons ( includes Pathfinder )
    • Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition ( yes they are very distinct )
    • Shadowrun
    • Dark Heresy
    • Call of Cthulhu
    • Vampire the Masquerade
    • Mortals
    • Pendragon
    • Savage Worlds

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

115 posts in this topic

I think D&D 3.5/Pathfinder would be best for newcomers eh? The dice mechanics are some of the simpler ones, and everyone gets the fantasy genre.

Keep in mind that both the Mortals game and the Vampire the Masquerade game I game master both uses the same core rules, which is World of Darkness :3 There's some slight changes between them but the core is the same. They also use the same core as Werewolf the Apocalypse, which is a part of the World of Darkness series.

I also liked the sound of Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones with your group creating a house together and having stats for their power, land, population, military, etc.

I am uncertain what you mean here, if you're thinking about Pendragon as a Game of Thrones ish kinda game or if there's actually a Game of Thrones table top RPG. If there is, I need to have a look at it as it sounds interesting. *googles*

Edit: Just did some googling and found it. It actually looks really interesting. Have to read some reviews about it but overall, it sounds quite fun.

Personally I think that the D&D rules can apply for almost any fantasy settings. Just have to switch the Forgotten Realms with whatever fantasy world eg Westeros/Azeroth/Celtic Britain. 

Sorry to dip in here guys but Im really curious about TableTop. I have no experience and i don't know anyone with any GM experience and I really want to get started. There are a few clubs around where i live but not many and they don't seem very inclusive, some suggesting i have to be at least 30 years old. Is it possible to get into without any real experience? I understand a good place to start is probably with a pathfinder set but apart from that im at a loss.

Come on, Shadowrun, Shadowrun, Shadowrun!

To Wastey White Skin: Dude it's cool man, you can join if you like. Just watch some videos or read up some articles on Tabletop RPGs in general if you don't know what they are. And those dudes who say you have to be 30 or older are just weird. Im 17 and just started Roleplaying for half a year

Sorry Lossar, there's a 60% majority on D&D at the moment :P

What is the diffrence between D&D 3.5 and 4th etd.? I see some who hate 4. edt and other who love it ?? Can someone explain? Have only playd Warhammer so I dont know shit about D&D but would love to try.

Sorry to dip in here guys but Im really curious about TableTop. I have no experience and i don't know anyone with any GM experience and I really want to get started. There are a few clubs around where i live but not many and they don't seem very inclusive, some suggesting i have to be at least 30 years old. Is it possible to get into without any real experience? I understand a good place to start is probably with a pathfinder set but apart from that im at a loss.

Wait, what? They suggest you being 30 years old to play? That's just ridiculous. I wouldn't say that you need to be a certain age to start playing an table top role playing game. And experience comes with playing the games and actually enjoying it. The Vampire the Masquerade game I've started, I play with two Americans and two Britts. None of them had played any table top role playing games before in their life and they're actually the best players I've ever had. 

As an example; My older players, the ones that's been around and playing with me for as long as I've played table top RPGs, they're played in such a way that they want me to almost run their characters for them. They've gotten a lot better since I changed the way I run my games but you still have to ask them to actually come up with back stories for their characters and how much I want from them before we play. This new group, with the newbies, I didn't want to scare them away from their first game by asking them to come up with 500 words of back stories (just an example, I'm usually not that specific. I usually just ask my players to write something, doesn't really matter how much, just so that I have something to build on as I make my games around a certain story and then I bake their characters back stories into that by adding characters they might know, stuff that happened to them before, so on and so forth), the second day, after we had created their characters, 3/4 of them just sent me documents of their back stories, just throwing papers at me and I was baffled. 

For me, table top RPGs is a way to clench my imagination and to keep my muse at work. It takes awhile for me to make my stories but when my mind is set in motion, I can keep going for as long as I'm still healthy and the people I play with want to continue. For my Pendragon game, I got a binder full of papers, back stories, characters and their back stories, rough maps I've drawn when I was bored at math class, pictures of stick figures with names above their heads fighting dragons and monsters and all kinds of crazy stuff. Some back stories I've even written to characters that was meant to die in the same game they were introduced in just because IF my players would ask something about him, I have it ready and done already!

I feel that I'm starting to rambling on right now but like I said, there's no age restriction in playing table top RPGs. The only thing restricting you from playing is your lack of imagination, lack of time or just lack of interest. Well, I guess there's a level of maturity to take into the calculations as well, especially if you want a more mature game.

Well traditionally combat in D&D has been pretty simple eg: I swing my blade at the Orc. Only spellcasters like the Wizard got to say cool stuff like 'I cast Fireball at that group of kobolds!' This system was seen in D&D all the way from 1974 to the release of 4th Edition in 2008

What they did was they changed the combat radically. Now, every class had some sort of cool name for their Powers. Each class starts with 4 Powers, 2 of them can be casted at any time, one of them could be used once per combat encounter and another one only once a day. Every 2 levels they gain a new Power. While this made the game super balanced, it also felt very video game-ish with similarities to MMOs. Some D&D players downright refuse the existence of 4th Edition, which they see as a move to appeal to the younger generation which were brought up with World of Warcraft and such. And then there were some stupid mechanics in 4th Edition like how skill checks were done, but since this game is run by a human the rules can be changed at any time so I don't see a big deal.

Personally, they're both great. I've tried both and they both run really well. It all depends on personal preference :)

What is the diffrence between D&D 3.5 and 4th etd.? I see some who hate 4. edt and other who love it ?? Can someone explain? Have only playd Warhammer so I dont know shit about D&D but would love to try.

4.0 ruined duel wielding for me anyway

Dual-wielding? Of course, since holding a shield only gives you a mesly +2 to AC considering how important the shield is to Medieval combat

Well traditionally combat in D&D has been pretty simple eg: I swing my blade at the Orc. Only spellcasters like the Wizard got to say cool stuff like 'I cast Fireball at that group of kobolds!' This system was seen in D&D all the way from 1974 to the release of 4th Edition in 2008

What they did was they changed the combat radically. Now, every class had some sort of cool name for their Powers. Each class starts with 4 Powers, 2 of them can be casted at any time, one of them could be used once per combat encounter and another one only once a day. Every 2 levels they gain a new Power. While this made the game super balanced, it also felt very video game-ish with similarities to MMOs. Some D&D players downright refuse the existence of 4th Edition, which they see as a move to appeal to the younger generation which were brought up with World of Warcraft and such. And then there were some stupid mechanics in 4th Edition like how skill checks were done, but since this game is run by a human the rules can be changed at any time so I don't see a big deal.

Personally, they're both great. I've tried both and they both run really well. It all depends on personal preference :)

If I want to play a game that tends to focus on combat I prefer the cutomization of 3.5 or Pathfinder.

If you want a game to focus more on story a lot of the other games mentioned tend to do a better job, especially the other ones I've mentioned earlier.

Dual-wielding? Of course, since holding a shield only gives you a mesly +2 to AC considering how important the shield is to Medieval combat

That always seemed stupid to me in 3.5 and Pathfinder. Unless you start paying tons of money to improve the shield (which could just be used on other magical items) or find a magical one they are terrible to use compared to just using a weapon two handed or using two weapons. I want a large shield, ok +1 AC, I think they should be a little better than that. I think some of the archtypes in pathfinder make them better but for the most part they aren't very good, although I did read about a broken sounding class someone made that specializes in duel wielding spiked shields and attacking and bullrushing enemies with them.

That sounds crazy lmao. Check out my topic on realistic combat, fixes the low shield AC

That sounds crazy lmao. Check out my topic on realistic combat, fixes the low shield AC

Here is that build I mentioned

Wow, cool site! So basically this guy is a DPS machine AND he has an insanely high AC?

I've posted this as a topic but I'll post it here again anyway if you havent seen it, it's a system for combat which is creative and brutal

Attack rolls: d20 + DEX mod - armor weight

Damage rolls: dweapon + STR mod - enemy's armor threshold

Armor Class: 10 + DEX mod + Shield Bonus  - armor weight

Cutting weapons deal bleed damage, which means that an enemy that has been hit must make a CON saving throw every round with the target number being the total amount of damage dealt so far to that enemy. if he fails the throw, then the total damage is dealt again. However, hit points lost to bleeding can be restored by stabilising, which is done by not attacking, or be attacked for one turn. Arrows however, will always deal bleed damage unless it is pulled out for 1d6 damage as a minor action.

Piercing weapons take a -5 penalty to hit, but instantly deals double damage ( the weapon going in and out ) as well as bleed damage

Crushing weapons don't deal bleed damage, but ignore armor threshold, plus the enemy has to roll 1d8, and rolling a 1 means getting hit on the head, which causes a 1 turn stun. Wearing helmets can improve the chances to 2d8.

Two handed weapons will deal twice as much as their one handed counterparts. The idea is that wielding a two handed weapon has a better DPS but you don't get the Shield Bonus for AC which can be as high as 5 for the large ones. 

Weapons like swords or halberds can perform multiple types of attacks, depending on the situation, and some weapons are better at certain attack types than others eg scimitars can cut better.

Armor Weight can be negated by being trained in armor proficiency and having higher STR mod. 

Some examples:

-Full Plate, Threshold 8, Weight 6

-Chainmail, Threshold 5, Weight 3

-Leather, Threshold 2, Weight 1

-Buckler, Shield Bonus 2, 1d4 Crushing Damage

-Round Shield, Shield Bonus 4, 1d6 Crushing Damage, Weight 1

-Tower Shield, Shield Bonus 6, 1d8 Crushing Damage, Weight 2

Oh, and ranged weapons should deal more damage. 1d6 for a shortbow seriously? And Javelins should be hard to hit, but massive in damage.

Whew ok that's about it, what do you guys think? 

Currently playing Call of Cthulhu and starting (actually this thursday) to be a GM in Only War. Playing through skype (isn't there also some programs made for roleplaying over net?) would be Awesome! I would definetly join! Doesen't really matter which system as long as the playing is fun!

Dark Heresy is gaining popularity...which of you in the AJSA knows how to run it? I don't have the source books or the knowledge of the 40k universe. 

Currently playing Call of Cthulhu and starting (actually this thursday) to be a GM in Only War. Playing through skype (isn't there also some programs made for roleplaying over net?) would be Awesome! I would definetly join! Doesen't really matter which system as long as the playing is fun!

check out roll20.net

SapeMies likes this

check out roll20.net

Well yes. This is what I meant, forgot the name (or didn't read the post too carefully :D )

Dark Heresy is gaining popularity...which of you in the AJSA knows how to run it? I don't have the source books or the knowledge of the 40k universe. 

I have the sourcebook for Only war and they are really quite similar. 

LoreMaster likes this

I have the sourcebook for Only war and they are really quite similar. 

Well then I hope you can GM any 40K games then. Blood for the blood god!

What version of CoC are you playing SapeMies? I haven't played CoC in years and was wondering if they have updated it lately, though the last version I can see if the 2011 30th Anniversary Edition but I know there is also a d20 version of the game, never played it with d20 rules though.