• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

cool breeze

Why the push for downloadable games at full retail prices?

12 posts in this topic

It it me or does both PSN and Xbox live really starting to push day one games as downloadable at $60....shouldn't it be less since there is no shipping or other logistics that goes into sending games to the box stores...

Because you're in the 1% who question it. The other 99% don't think about it, therefor they can get away with it.

cool breeze and bilwit like this

Because game developers think the higher the price the more sales they will get... (that and they think they can get away with anything..which is partially true...)

I don't like it as well, as alot of DLC isn't worth more than £10, I have also noticed minor changes being put up as DLC for £30 etc. which isn't even worth it either.

should it be less?

Yes.

They'll never do that since there not all digital to begin with, if ones cheaper than the other why would you ever go to the store.

yeah i think you both have valid points...i hate downloading a full game for more than $20....I just rather have a hard copy of the game to keep or to loan to other people

Hell, most multiplatform games are FORCED to be placed at regular prices by gamecrap because they want gamestop to be the only option.

Realistically this is because more people globally still buy games from retail.  I know of places not far from where I live that only have dial up.  If they released digital games for less than what it costs to buy a full priced copy this would piss off the retailers that lost sales and would make them less likely to stock a game or recommend a game from that retailer.  The publishers are trying to keep from biting the hand that feeds them to some extent.  And honestly the PSN and Xbox Live are the worst examples.  They are closed markets, until the announcement of the Amazon PSN store Sony had no competition.  Microsoft still has no competition.  Steam would be the best example because unless a game uses Steam Workshop then you can get it from other digital distributors.  Seriously though, until there is a large enough shift from physical to all digital you will not see a price change and I doubt we would even see it then because publishers would believe that we were used to the higher price point.  Games on the pc used to be cheaper than consoles, but now that most games are mutliplatform, outside certain genres or series its rare that you see games that are pc only so now even pc games have gone up to match console prices.

cool breeze likes this

Not a fan of the system but no one seems to stop and consider it.

The reason games cost more on console is because console games include licensing fees that PC developers don't have to deal with. Both Microsoft and Sony are guilty here. They're making the big push for digital because you can only buy digital games new, and when you're done with the game you can't ever sell it, hence less "used games" to buy!

Simply put, push for digital = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It it me or does both PSN and Xbox live really starting to push day one games as downloadable at $60....shouldn't it be less since there is no shipping or other logistics that goes into sending games to the box stores...

Mostly because they don't want to undercut retailers who they rely on to sell their consoles. Not saying I agree or disagree with it, but it's one of the reasons why they have this practice.

It is really unfair to the gamers who have to pay full price for digital games. Like Angry Joe said, PC games used to be $50. So why the increase and why the inevitable switch to digital?

I think that the game makers see a profit, not just a small profit, but a sizeable profit that lasts for the duration of gaming altogether. Xbox one and the PS4 were both ready to turn to digital, but the market said no and they postponed it. The next time they advertise for this, they will not budge. Microsoft is a big reason why the U.S. govt. is still afloat, so this power grants them the ability to enforce their will. If the happiness of the gamers is all that is keeping these companies at bay, you can garantee that they will just steamroll us into submission. It is similar to the enforcement of the Kinect 2.0 with the Xbox One. Microsoft is being outsourced by the govt. to use the Kinect to gather information on millions of people. Microsoft is apart of Prism that Edward Snowden uncovered. Their power is limitless, and when they go completely digital, everyone else will have no choice but to follow suit. Be happy with what is right now, for tomorrow misery cries over what should never be.

Probably because the retailers know their products will go on sale within the first 3 weeks of release for 10-20% off or more, and 20-40% off a month later. On some of the most popular PC titles you can shop around and find $5-10 off deals sometimes before the games even been released. I think they understand that the biggest profit cuts come from people who are patient so they push for as much cost as they can get people to pay that first week or two. The profit cuts later from sales dont hurt as much when you start at 60, which is why most games see a deluxe edition for 10 dollars more and some preorder exclusives so people pay that higher price rather then wait a month and pay half of what the company would get.

In addition to that the publishers and developers would see some high backlash from brick and mortar stores if they sold the digital online versions cheaper, and they cant afford to lose the support of retailers since thats the majority of sales.