• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Flying Potato

Are you religious?

Are you religious?   390 members have voted

1. 1. Are you religious?

• Yes, i'm Christian
    • Yes, i'm Catholic
    • Yes, i'm Jewish
    • Yes, i'm Muslim
    • Yes, i'm a Satanist
    • Yes, i'm Hindu
    • Yes, i'm a follower of a religion not listed in this poll
    • No, i'm an Atheist
    • I'm Agnostic

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

477 posts in this topic

Yes the peer pressure thing is something I can see happening, but I doubt it is widespread. And just for the record, I would never say someone is stupid just for having faith. I would however call some religious people misguided but that all depends on what they believe and how extreme they are. I do not have a problem with faith aslong as its personal. But when it's invading someone elses space or violates someones rights then I do have a problem with it.

Creationism is not a theory it's a hypothesis and thats a big and important difference, for something to be a theory there needs to be empirical evidence to back it up. At the end of the day it is still based on claims made in a book. And there are several religions that have their own books that make similair claims and even within those religions people cant seem to agree with eachother. They all claim they are the one true faith and the others are false, they all have their own "evidence". If I would accept one I would have to accept all of them if I wanted to stay honest cause all their cases would be equally valid. If you believe in one faith chances are you are an atheist towards all other faiths because they are inconsoleable with eachother.

Altho tempting I dont think there is much use for a private discussion about this. We wont be able to convince one another, we would probably just put down what we think and thats about it. Chances are that stuff from my point of view has been put down in a better manner by other people then I would be able to.

Just because you dont like the idea doesnt mean it is not true. By now scientist have proven and mapped out how we came to be and who our ancestors are. We and some of the current day primates have common ancestry but evolution is a process that takes thousands if not milliions of years and is very gradual. Seeing the arguments you make I suspect your understanding of evolution is somewhat limited and I suggest you do some reading up on it, atleast if you are interested in this sorta thing. And I am not trying to belittle you here, dont get me wrong.

I didn't say I didn't like the idea, you know. If you read what I said, I said that I'm perfectly fine with it so long as someone proves it definitively. AND you are indeed right about my limited understanding of evolution; however I have debated with my very atheist and scientific friends (Bio-Med, Medicine etc) and they have indeed admitted that scientists HAVE NOT proven and mapped out how we came to be and who our ancestors are. I appreciate you not trying to belittle me, and I am quite sure you know more about evolution than I do, but I don't think that scientists have proved that we evolved from said ancestors yet. They have a lot of circumstantial evidence, and a lot of findings that point to the fact, but not one scientist has come forward and said "Shut up, you religious idiots. I'm going to show you your ancestor". Most they've done is release "Findings that point to human ancestry etc". Like I said, if they prove it, I'll say okay, it's a fact. But until then I would think that it's perfectly reasonable not to have to decide yet

I'm a god in Heavy Metal Shamanism.

Are you implying that Saint Nick isn't real, because if you are then the gloves are off good sir.

Oh I am implying much. He and his "supposed" elves are a ruse. I throw down gauntlets.

Oh god please dont let that happen! 

As long as no one supports corporate Commander we should be fine. lol 

I believe in Scientific Reincarnation. 

"Energy can neither be created nor destroyed"

This and that nature has its own way of recycling everything. I figured when we die; the material we are made of will go back into the wild. At one random point, we'd come back as something completely random.

Yes the peer pressure thing is something I can see happening, but I doubt it is widespread. And just for the record, I would never say someone is stupid just for having faith. I would however call some religious people misguided but that all depends on what they believe and how extreme they are. I do not have a problem with faith aslong as its personal. But when it's invading someone elses space or violates someones rights then I do have a problem with it.

Creationism is not a theory it's a hypothesis and thats a big and important difference, for something to be a theory there needs to be empirical evidence to back it up. At the end of the day it is still based on claims made in a book. And there are several religions that have their own books that make similair claims and even within those religions people cant seem to agree with eachother. They all claim they are the one true faith and the others are false, they all have their own "evidence". If I would accept one I would have to accept all of them if I wanted to stay honest cause all their cases would be equally valid. If you believe in one faith chances are you are an atheist towards all other faiths because they are inconsoleable with eachother.

Altho tempting I dont think there is much use for a private discussion about this. We wont be able to convince one another, we would probably just put down what we think and thats about it. Chances are that stuff from my point of view has been put down in a better manner by other people then I would be able to.

Just because you dont like the idea doesnt mean it is not true. By now scientist have proven and mapped out how we came to be and who our ancestors are. We and some of the current day primates have common ancestry but evolution is a process that takes thousands if not milliions of years and is very gradual. Seeing the arguments you make I suspect your understanding of evolution is somewhat limited and I suggest you do some reading up on it, atleast if you are interested in this sorta thing. And I am not trying to belittle you here, dont get me wrong.

You see, my point of view is that it doesn't matter.  95% of the world's population believes in some form of higher being, one way or another. The God I worship is also the same God many other people worship, just in a different way. Although we sometimes disagree on the method, the fundamental aspect of most religions remain the same. Our disagreements really don't matter because it's fundamentally connected by the same simple principles. 

Treat others good and be a good person. 

I would argue that Creationism is in fact, a THEORY because it's an account written in a book in which it's stories HAVE empirical evidence to back them up.  To simply disregard one very important section of the Bible as Myth because it seems 'far fetched' would be folly.  Especially considering how many of it's stories scientist have for many years poo-pooed on and have been since proven real.

I believe people of science tend to instantly roll their eyes at the Bible and the things in it (and other religions for that matter) simply BECAUSE they are things of the spiritual aspects of life and to even touch anything to do with religion makes you a target for ridicule among those who would claim themselves to be the scientific elite. 

I think it's ...for lack of a better word, arrogant, for those people to claim they understand the universe and the great mystery of life. 

Give a Engineer wood and metal and he can make a building, but give all the scientists of the world all the elements of the earth and they still can't create life. 

My thoughts are that man are not ready to understand the workings of God. To understand the mind(s) of a omnipotent being, of our creator, would be something our minds are just not capable of understanding... It's for this reason, I think, that most people who believe themselves 'smart' are unable to accept that God exist. Because that would mean admitting you are a simple... so very very a simple thing. 

Jemtai, Platina32 and BlindingSaint like this

All Hail Demon Joe!  For one day he will return and bring the worse video game ever and the would will fall to his darkness!  Muhaha.

Wow, thanks for this thread! I never could put a label on how I think about religion, but now I know I'm an agnostic. Never knew that word. Sound about right though. But ofcourse I don't judge anyone based on what they believe in. As long as they don't want to start a holy crusade againts my ass for not believing the same way, I'm quite confortable with them  :D Whatever helps you get through your life, I'm fine with it. (Yes, that includes the satanists as well)

You see, my point of view is that it doesn't matter.  95% of the world's population believes in some form of higher being, one way or another. The God I worship is also the same God many other people worship, just in a different way. Although we sometimes disagree on the method, the fundamental aspect of most religions remain the same. Our disagreements really don't matter because it's fundamentally connected by the same simple principles. 

Treat others good and be a good person. 

I would argue that Creationism is in fact, a THEORY because it's an account written in a book in which it's stories HAVE empirical evidence to back them up.  To simply disregard one very important section of the Bible as Myth because it seems 'far fetched' would be folly.  Especially considering how many of it's stories scientist have for many years poo-pooed on and have been since proven real.

I believe people of science tend to instantly roll their eyes at the Bible and the things in it (and other religions for that matter) simply BECAUSE they are things of the spiritual aspects of life and to even touch anything to do with religion makes you a target for ridicule among those who would claim themselves to be the scientific elite. 

I think it's ...for lack of a better word, arrogant, for those people to claim they understand the universe and the great mystery of life. 

Give a Engineer wood and metal and he can make a building, but give all the scientists of the world all the elements of the earth and they still can't create life. 

My thoughts are that man are not ready to understand the workings of God. To understand the mind(s) of a omnipotent being, of our creator, would be something our minds are just not capable of understanding... It's for this reason, I think, that most people who believe themselves 'smart' are unable to accept that God exist. Because that would mean admitting you are a simple... so very very a simple thing. 

Okay, now I have to say something, with all due respect to your beliefs but what does make a god? None of us ever met one and probably won't in our lifetime not to mention that monotheism is a very fresh belief in worlds history. We started as simple creatures in awe of the elements through ages we gave them personifications and politheism was born, now I don't know if gods from different mythologies were real deities, aliens or just pure fantasies but they were first, so in light of that what can we say about every soul that passed from this world praising the name of Zeus, Ra, Odin or Amaterasu even. We have written records of the things those beings bestowed upon us, what they taught us and how they were helping and using us at times.

And you may be right that we are arrogant and cannot understand an omnipotent being but what makes you belive this nameless god is those things? After all it is written that he made us in his image and I doubt that only means our phisical form. I think hman is becomming god himself through his exploits: we can cheat death, create and destroy life on equall basis and above all learn, develop and adapt. I just hope we won't become a god of destruction, because so far it looks that way.

And to end one of my favorite quotes:

“I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

Same God, same people, why can't you guys just get along and just remove all those political system away. FYI by people I mean human.

Because Christianity had a reformation, they split up mostly based on who was allowed to read and interpret the bible and other holy works. Protestants wanted to interpret it themselves and read it in their local vanacular language while Catholics left it to priests and the pope. It's similar to Islam, Islam split up for Shiites and Sunnis, based on each sides view on who was going lead the people of Islam, Allah choice Mohammed's family or the community or people's choice his closest respected friend.

Notice both sides have similar aspects one is stricter and center around authority the other leaner and center around the people.

Religion is like a bacteria trying to explain how your TV works.
There may be something but it's highly unlikely we will ever understand it. 

It's not a necessity to life and only serves to distract from exactly how strong the Human race can be when we work together instead of squabbling over pointless things. 

In all honesty being religious is really not much different from being a fanboy.

Man who would want government controlling anything.

Yes, what is your point?

Personally I'm an agnostic, in the sense that I cannot deny nor prove the existence of a higher being of some sort. I doubt it, but I don't bash others for their opinions.

I feel like using some sort of god-being as a reason to do/not do stuff is a bit of a cop-out of personal morals and motivation, but like I said, I don't bash others for their views. The only time anyone will get shit from me about their opinion is if they try to rub it in my face. :)

All arguments stating that the existence of one of the religious deities is possibly, are simply based on ignorance. I was hoping that this thread ended before it got here, but now i see no choice. The denial of science as the only correct way of exploring this world, as it is in fact a method, not a view, is based purely on ignorance that could easily be remedied if one bothered to take the time to do so. There is no evidence for any religious views, and enough against it to view them as less realistic then the lord of the rings. Please do not bring ignorance, illiteracy, and even worse, blind sighted religious views based purely in faith, to this forum. Thank you

I'm an atheist myself.

I don't want to insult anybody, but I honestly think believing in a religion is like telling somebody to hold your own brain for you, instead of thinking for yourself.

Faceless likes this

All arguments stating that the existence of one of the religious deities is possibly, are simply based on ignorance. I was hoping that this thread ended before it got here, but now i see no choice. The denial of science as the only correct way of exploring this world, as it is in fact a method, not a view, is based purely on ignorance that could easily be remedied if one bothered to take the time to do so. There is no evidence for any religious views, and enough against it to view them as less realistic then the lord of the rings. Please do not bring ignorance, illiteracy, and even worse, blind sighted religious views based purely in faith, to this forum. Thank you

I just dislike it when people try and devalue other peoples beliefs and opinions myself. I hate to see people arguing about religion. Ultimately there is no sense in arguing with someone who does not acknowledge scientific thinking. On the other side of the coin I don't think it is nice to deny or mock someones opinion and faith regardless if you think they are wrong or not. The only time I think it's okay is if that persons beliefs are denying others their right to a happy life and seek to harm others under the guise of religion, that is just maliciousness. Persecution based on gender and sexuality or race and religion is something I want to see end. It makes me sad in 2013 to see it still continuing. Sort of off topic thoughts after reading that though!

Scout and 2ofSpades like this

I'm sorry if I mad anyone upset. I am not ashamed of telling other what religion I follow. I am Wiccan and proud of it. We have a big community here in the springs. :)

Ok we can agree on that we cannot prove or disprove of higher beings existence, that fact it seem that religion is interspersion by the higher arks' in the religions.  so tell me if this is right or not just to make sure that we are all on the same page ok.

Please, if you want to discuss the existence of a God or the validity of a belief, make another thread to do so.

Please, if you want to discuss the existence of a God or the validity of a belief, make another thread to do so.

Thank you

I'm really not sure why you posted this other than to tell other people that their views are, IN YOUR OPINION, ignorant. All religious discussions up to this point (for the most part) have been very respectful. You seem to be the only one getting out of sorts about people expressing a differing viewpoint. Especially since the majority of those views have been clearly worded to to make sure that others understood that this was clearly a personal stance.

Whereas YOUR posts have been worded clearly to try and force your viewpoint (lest we all get reported apparently)... and let's be clear here.. Yours IS a 'viewpoint'. 

I have books on Buddhism, Islam and Shinto in my home. I'm NONE of these religions. But I'm not so narrow minded that I would feel threatened to learn more about them. 

If someone sharing what or how they believe in a respectful way makes you uncomfortable, then maybe you should stay away from this thread.  

Faceless, Platina32 and Taerdin like this

Funny, because you can select Atheism as a religion, when you select it, however, it replies no i am atheist as in it is not a religion, when it is.