• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

DAHFAN1308

is nintendo out of touch?

51 posts in this topic

Hi, there has been a thought that has crossed my mind, is Nintendo out of touch? I think yes, but there is still hope.I think Nintendo is taking a step in the right direction with third party games, looking just as good as PS3 and 360 (still struggling with ps4 and Xone) ,have u seen arkham origins on Wii u? It looks great! But not many people are buying Wii u, I think I know why.Here are a few reasons why I think Wii u is not selling and out of touch:

1.) Third Party Support

Its not the fact that they have third party games at all, that's a great thing, problem is how they did it. When AC 3, COD, and Arkham City came to Wii U, many people already had a ps3 or 360, so didn't feel the need, unless they want to play "the kids games" like Mario,Zelda,or SSB. And they still feel that way. Even some companies will make their games inferior on Wii U, (Arkham Origins Multiplayer, but their not missing much), and some games are not even coming to Wii U, and is not good in the consumer's eye. Even with the new SSB and Mario Kart coming soon, they will sell more, but some people don't want to drop $300 on a couple of games.

2.) Their Name

When the NES, Gameboy, and SNES where out, games mostly were what's now considered kids games. Yes they did have mortal Kombat on SNES, but it was censored. I don't know why but Nintendo's always trying to be more kid friendly, even though they learned from Mk and put blood in MK 2, most of the games they focus on are Mario, Zelda, etc. So because of that, hardcore gamers (alot of them) don't buy nintendo products because they think that all they have are those games. I side with ReviewTechUsa with the idea of Nintendo making a mature exclusive, make a game that you can only buy on Wii U, gets mostly scores of 9-10, and appeals to mostly hardcore gamers. They should also learn from PlayStation. While they have some games are marketed towards kids, (Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank), they also have mature games for hardcore gamers (God of War, Uncharted, Killzone). Nintendo, while having Zelda being there closest to being mature, over half of there exclusives are marketed towards children. So they should make that hardcore exclusive.

3.) DVD/Bluray/Digital Download

OK, this makes no sense. This has been a problem for 12 years starting with GameCube, can be excused for small discs and cheaper than PS2 and Xbox, then Wii, but just for being cheaper, but Wii U just takes the cake, yes it is cheaper than ps4, and Xbox One, but nintendo is way over due. And if they can't do that, have the option to buy or rent movies on the eshop. If they do sell movies tell me because I don't have a wii U. They at least need DVD.

4.) Advertising

One. That is how many ads I have seen for the Nintendo Wii U, TOTAL!

(Yes, taking this from ReviewTechUsa again) They had one year, a whole year to tell the world about the console. Even though that it's unlikely that they will sell more than Xbox and PlayStation, wii u should atleast be along side a ps4 and/or Xbox 1 . One big reason Sony and Microsoft will sell more is that PS4 and Xbox One have been advertising their products for a while. Especially Xbox with Mtn. Dew and Doritos. Wii U had a get out of jail freecard in for the whole year, and barely did anything to sell their product.

So those are why I think Nintendo is out of touch, and isn't selling well. If you thought of ,tell me, I would like to know.

I feel like Nintendo needs to get its priorities in order, its taken them 2+ years for the 3ds to become a good system. But the WiiU is lacking so much. The Hardware is just not enticing enough, if they put money into decent "next gen" hardware, then maybe other devs might want to make great titles. Then they might pull out a good console

DAHFAN1308 likes this

The only thing I hate about Nintendo consoles is the controller

I hate everything about them.. I really don't see any actual gamer get anything good out of it. It's mainly directed for kids who prob. can't afford PC, or XBOX/PS. 

I hate everything about them.. I really don't see any actual gamer get anything good out of it. It's mainly directed for kids who prob. can't afford PC, or XBOX/PS.

Super smash bros, zelda...that's all I can think of XD

I love nintendo, not everything is bad about them, they are just making some bad moves, I like the idea of the wii u, but they can make it better, with better exclusives, third party support,and play more media

I don't understand why people expect them to be competitive with  Xbox/PS when their target audience is much more specific.

The WiiU may be disappointing but they're fine and they'll continue to be just fine.

Its kind of like saying why doesn't Disney make more Horror films. There's no reason for them to do so.

DAHFAN1308 likes this

I love Nintendo, but yeah, they really need to get on top of things. They need more 3rd party support, and they need a console that's up to date in terms of hardware. I love some of their games, and their old consoles are classic, but lately, yeah, they're really lacking.

DAHFAN1308 likes this

I stopped caring about wii, when i tried to play smash brothers online. It was horrible. The worst thing about it was you never knew who you were playing against online, and you couldn't speak to them. I think had they done online right, i would be playing the wii still.  I dont know if things are different now. I do love Pokemon though lol, i cant stop playing.

Nasty Note likes this

I think it has more to do with the Japanese making games they want to make and that excite them. Instead of Microsoft's business model, just trying to sell 50 million copies of whatever drivel they crap out with misleading advertising and over hyped "features"

Nintendo is WAY out of touch. I mean that. VERY out of touch because of everything they have done.

The Wii-U was the worst attempt at trying to make a gimmick to sell a console that I have seen in a long time (Kinect excluded, of course).

That and I cannot think of a single third-party game out for it that's any good.

Maybe they should just stick with hand-helds.

I think the problem with the wii u is they underestimated working with high definition so its taking longer to get games out. Another problem is yearly releases( i dont mind them btw) where they come sooner and more frequent but nintendo cant keep up since they worry about polish over rushing them out. They also have a handheld to worry about so thats taking away their man power. If they had more third party support they could use it to cushion themselves as they complete their projects but since they dont get very much third party help  it will put the strain on the system causing the drought we got a few months back so well see if they can fix the situation or not. 

Nintendo is a big let down for me. Aside from the 5-6 Icons(Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Starfox) what do Nintedo have? Where are the classic games and Gems from the 8bit, 16bit and partly the 64bit era that made Nintendo the Big N? For the current Wii/WiiU i still don't see Sequels/Remakes/Prequels from: 

• Double Dragon
  • Snake Rattle n Roll
  • R-Type
  • Castlevania (not that 3D God of War clone)
  • Turtles in time
  • Final Fight
  • Fatal Fury
  • King of Fighters
  • Contra
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Secret of Mana
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Terranigma
  • Lufia
  • Illusion of Time
  • Illusion of Gaya
  • Hagane
  • Super Turrican
  • Doom
  • Duke Nukem
  • Quake
  • Perfect Dark
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Armorines
  • Twin Bee
  • Rock n Roll racing
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Zombie ate my Neighbors
  • Gradius
  • Mega man
  • plok
  • Rainbow Bell
  • U.N. Squadron
  • Jungle Strike
  • Sparkster
  • Lost Vikings
  • Ghouls n Ghosts
  • Lemmings
  • Parodius
  • Actraiser
  • Conkers

yeah, i know that those are third Party titles and most of the companies that made them doesn't exist anymore, but someone has to have the license's. Nintendo should get them and make classics and Gems again. Relying only on Mario-Zelda-Metroid... doesn't increase the fanbase. The Top 10 list of Wii/WiiU games are Fitness, singing, dancing and Family games. Without them Nintendo would have suffer the same fate as SEGA did back then. Since Gamecube, Nintendo began to screw the core Gamers thus made them to go to the PC(mostly playing with Emulators like me), to the Playstation 2/3/4 and XBOX/360/One. But yeah, Shigeru Myiamoto is thinking about his retirement and the father of Nintendo Hiroshi Yamauchi died not Long ago, those are more bad news. Nintendo should really step up and get the Core Gamers back.

I stopped caring about wii, when i tried to play smash brothers online. It was horrible. The worst thing about it was you never knew who you were playing against online, and you couldn't speak to them. I think had they done online right, i would be playing the wii still.  I dont know if things are different now. I do love Pokemon though lol, i cant stop playing.

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a Wii for SSBB, and it was a huge let-down, especially online. After that game it had no other exclusives I cared for, so it now collects dust to this day.

If I may get a word in, as someone who Owns a Wii-U, along with a 360, a decent gaming laptop and is planning on getting a ps4 in the future.

I do think the Wii-U has potential, it just isn't as dynamic as the Wii. The gamepad can be great for immersion, such as in Arkham City, where I think it was best implemented (touch screen had the map, goals, database, item management, upgrade management, and personally I like the gyroscope aiming). I see this potential fit here, and more lasting than the PS4's touch pad, which I don't see as much potential.

And then there is third party support, yes this is a problem and I whole heartedly admit it. But one ting I want to point out is that launches for consoles are usually their worst period. And the fact that the only people putting support for this console are mainly indie developers, while some might sell, the tuth is 3rd parties will sell the most.

As fo the controller, it's supisingl comfotable. Plus the wii-u has the lagest control pool: The gamepad, wii remotes with motion plus, nunchuck, classic contollers, and even a pro contoller which is basicall a 360 contoller for the wii-u. And like I said, the sceen seems more appealing to me than a touch pad. I reall can't think of an innovation a pad can add (ryhme not intended). Internet browsing and strategy maybe, but not much else.

And as for the technical issue, I think this is something nintendo should be exempt from, and we should have expected wince the wii. But still, nintendo isn't alwas about ground breaking hardware.

I think this platform has potential, it's just gonna take time to see it.

Linkfan3 and DanteBelmont like this

Wii-U was doomed to fail from the very beginning sadly, it had no chance when Nintendo decided to throw out a Wii with a controller no one wanted and dubbed it "next-gen". I had a chance to interact with it before it was out and it just felt all wrong in my opinion. I doubt Nintendo will release another console anytime soon, but if they do they better make it dispenses beer or something because X1 and PS4 make the Wii look like a Tiger Electronics hand-held game.

Drunkcrusader likes this

I really believe Nintendo should hire some new blood who are more in touch with the gaming market of today

DAHFAN1308 likes this

Can I at the very least ask if anyone has actually TRIED the console and/or the gamepad?

I love Nintendo, but I am worried about the future of Wii U. It has the potential to be a fantastic console, and people are very quick to dismiss it, but the lack of decent titles this year is concerning. I've only played three Wii U games this year, and two were Xbox 360 ports.

I've never played the 360 version of Darksiders II, but the Wii U version of ACIII is the best one around in my opinion. Even though it didn't take advantage of the touch screen other than for menus, maps and icons, it was great not to have my health guage and map cluttering up my TV screen. It was great to be able to enjoy the beautiful world of ACIII without any distractions, while still being able to see things that are important.

I think Nintendo is out of touch with a large portion of the gaming community. They need to sort out their priorities and try to appeal to the hardcore gamer again. Continuing to try catering to the casual market is a very dangerous game, because Nintendo are catering to a market that's slowly fading away. The novelty of the original Wii has worn off now, and most casual gamers aren't all that interested anymore. Besides, if I did just have a casual interest in gaming, would I spend £249 on a Wii U, or £25 on a fully functional, second-hand Wii?

@DAHFAN1308, I object to you calling The Legend of Zelda a kids' franchise. The franchise has offered some of the most memorable and epic gaming experiences of my life. Many of the games have very deep, dark storylines and battles too.

StoopaKoopaShow likes this

They can make some good games but that's it. They are constantly showing they are completely out of touch with the video game industry, their community, and the internet in general.

If I may get a word in, as someone who Owns a Wii-U, along with a 360, a decent gaming laptop and is planning on getting a ps4 in the future.

I do think the Wii-U has potential, it just isn't as dynamic as the Wii. The gamepad can be great for immersion, such as in Arkham City, where I think it was best implemented (touch screen had the map, goals, database, item management, upgrade management, and personally I like the gyroscope aiming). I see this potential fit here, and more lasting than the PS4's touch pad, which I don't see as much potential.

And then there is third party support, yes this is a problem and I whole heartedly admit it. But one ting I want to point out is that launches for consoles are usually their worst period. And the fact that the only people putting support for this console are mainly indie developers, while some might sell, the tuth is 3rd parties will sell the most.

As fo the controller, it's supisingl comfotable. Plus the wii-u has the lagest control pool: The gamepad, wii remotes with motion plus, nunchuck, classic contollers, and even a pro contoller which is basicall a 360 contoller for the wii-u. And like I said, the sceen seems more appealing to me than a touch pad. I reall can't think of an innovation a pad can add (ryhme not intended). Internet browsing and strategy maybe, but not much else.

And as for the technical issue, I think this is something nintendo should be exempt from, and we should have expected wince the wii. But still, nintendo isn't alwas about ground breaking hardware.

I think this platform has potential, it's just gonna take time to see it.

I own a WiiU and I still plan on getting a PS4, but I do agree with you, the WiiU is underrated, another issue is that they didn't release a whole lot of ground breaking titles for it on launch and that's part of what turned people down, but I think if people would just be patient and wait for new titles to come out, then I'm sure the WiiU will sell more