• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

AverageSpacePope

Thoughts on the next Mass Effect Game

29 posts in this topic

After Mass Effect 3, I've been thinking about where the series could go next. I am personally hoping for a sequel but I wouldn't mind if there was a prequel. But what do the members of the Angry army think? Do you want the next game to be set sometime during the krogan rebellions or would you prefer a spin-off were you play as Garrus in his C-Sec days. Or have you even played Mass Effect?

tanbe2010 likes this

Hm, from what I understand, it's going to be some time after Shepard. But, I could also be wrong out my arse. I really wanna play in the universe that was nearly destroyed, that had to be rebuilt. The one down side to that thought, though, is that they would have to pick a canon ending. Or, well, they could do it in a different part of the universe that wasn't affected, but how they would do that, I have no idea.

Argh, I could type all day on random thought processes I get on this. All I can say effectively is that I've highly enjoyed the series (and even 3, especially after the EC DLC). Not sure how I'd feel about prequel content, but living through the first contact phases could be super cool too!

oh how i hate these topics... too interesting to not click on, but they always make me realize how far away the next release date is x.x

I think there was already too many things you could read/discover about the universe in ME so that you could enjoy the prequel.

So I hope it will be a long time after the war that ended ME3.

I would hate a prequel. We already know the lore and how the whole Galaxy will end.

I have two dreams:

1) Mass Effect Skyrim. Forget ME3 ever happened and just open up the ME universe to us.

2) They come to us with ME4 at the VGA's. They show blurred, dreamy shots of reapers decimating the planets of our companions from ME3 and we can see our companions getting killed in the background. Then it cuts to the Normandy flying through space, we see joker from behind, then a hand at the side of the screen. Joker turns around. "No, how? We left you for dead." Camera pans around so we joker from behind and he is blocking the face of the assailant. We see the assailant slit Joker's throat. Joker falls to the group so we can see the assailants face. 

"​IT NEVER HAPPENED"

I wouldn't really like a prequel. For a lot of the interesting things we already know how they go so it might be a little boring. A game set several years, or even just immediatly after ME3 would have to pick a cannon ending or find some boring way to of had the storylines merge. There's opportunity for a storyline parrallel to Shepards I suppose, another officer, maybe of another race, doing their part in the war against the reapers. Maybe another council race had their own version of Shepard out there looking for Reaper proof, as much as they denied it. There's so many options for where to go with the games, wether making them more open world or keeping them really story driven. Just hopefully they'll make a good job of it.

HELL NO TO PREQUELS. I hate that kind of stuff. Not that it's always bad, but I believe that games (and movies) should move on. I think it's a damn lazy method of developers and producers to say..."I think that a sequel is too troublesome; how bout we just do a story 500 years earlier and attach some random linkage, that way we won't have to think of consequences".

On one hand, hell yeah another ME would be fun...on the other hand, although it's been a while now, just the mention of Mass Effect 3's ending or Bioware gives me the urge to go HULK MODE and say NO MORE BIOWARE. I'm sure you understand.

I would really prefer a sequel. I would love to see how all of the different species are doing after ME3. I would love it if they made the next game like Skyrim or Dragon Age were you can create your own character and backstory. I would prefer anything to a prequel. I mean a prequel would be great if it's done well. However, I would hate for Mass Effect to go the same way that Star Wars did by going all Jar Jar Binks on itself. It would be too painful to watch :). Sadly, Bioware might be going the prequel route if the new Mass Effect : Foundation comics are any indication of whats to come in the future.

After Mass Effect 3, I've been thinking about where the series could go next. I am personally hoping for a sequel but I wouldn't mind if there was a prequel. But what do the members of the Angry army think? Do you want the next game to be set sometime during the krogan rebellions or would you prefer a spin-off were you play as Garrus in his C-Sec days. Or have you even played Mass Effect?

I think that Bioware and EA are going to fail hard.I think they will flop and we can finaly add this rotting carcas to the list of killed developers by EA.

So the new Mass effect will be bad.What i am hoping for is for it to be BAAAAD.If they do some false advertising like they did with Mass Effect 3 and get in court this time that be even better.

Mass-Effect-3-Ending-Joke.jpg

iYUCR.png

dmbc.jpg

Mass-Effect-3-War-Assets.jpg

"Do every mission...FUCK YOU!Play the multiplayer or you will get a shittier ending(if that is even possible)"

gPC5K2.jpg

Dkq6D.jpg?1

"Lets have a designated position for being a good guy/ass so our retarded player base don't get confused"

I can keep this going all day.

Contra Mundi and argetlam350 like this

I played it and didn't liked it. I just hope for bigger battles, since I didn't used most companions, and permadeath will cause mutch havoc. I do think they could be like metro: take a bad ending and expand upon it. add ship combat!

It would be interesting if they centered the game on something that was obscurely mentioned during the trilogy, like maybe the height of the Prothean Empire, or during the Rachni Wars.  It would be pretty cool to go to the Asari homeworld and interact with them when they werent so "advanced and sophisticated".

I've heard rumors that Aria, TIM, or Garrus are going to be the protagonists in the upcoming game. Aria and Garrus are two of my favorites so that might be cool. I read the comic about TIM (forgot what it's called) so that might be interesting. But I would love for them to start up after the end of ME3. An open world would be so awesome. The Mass Effect Universe still has so much potential. Here's hoping they can pull it off.

AverageSpacePope likes this

I really hope its a sequel. But even though they stated that Shepard is not in the new game I really wish that it would continue from where it left off and the indoctrination theory was true :(

Hm, from what I understand, it's going to be some time after Shepard. But, I could also be wrong out my arse. I really wanna play in the universe that was nearly destroyed, that had to be rebuilt. The one down side to that thought, though, is that they would have to pick a canon ending. Or, well, they could do it in a different part of the universe that wasn't affected, but how they would do that, I have no idea.

Argh, I could type all day on random thought processes I get on this. All I can say effectively is that I've highly enjoyed the series (and even 3, especially after the EC DLC). Not sure how I'd feel about prequel content, but living through the first contact phases could be super cool too!

I personally hope that it's set after Mass Effect 3. Like, the ending isn't THAT bad now, but it really wasn't the best it could be. So, yolo, they may as well make Mass Effect as crazy as it can possibly be now. Space magic is the new fad, ya know :)

Mass Effect is my favorite video game series. Dragon Age is my second favorite. I trust Bioware, despite their failures with Dragon Age 2 (which I didn't think was that awful) and Mass Effect 3's ending (Which was remedied pretty well with the Extended Cut). Ultimately, I think if a company can pull off making a sequel to a series like Mass Effect, it's Bioware. It's a pretty big gamble but I loved the universe and can't wait to return.

No the prequel. Only cause the serious already found its end with mass effect 3. Hard to say what is to come with the new mass effect game but I am optimistic for what is to come. It is one of the few games that I can replay so many times.

I think they should really think about a completely new main character that is acceptable to all race,meaning to be able to play as any race. I would love to see how things have changed sense the war with the reapers, how has the alliance done, what is going on with the other races and maybe see some cameos from other characters. I will be looking forward to what bioware comes up with and what they will be doing with the franchise now that Shepard is dead.

Mass Effect is dead.  Bioware butchered it thoroughly in ME3.  I really wish they would just let it rest in peace now instead of trying, and probably failing miserably, to resurrect it's bloated, rotting carcass.

Zordan_Grey likes this

Not really sure why people are exaggerating how bad ME3 was.

If you just forget the endings it's a great game and still one of the best games in the last few years.

I might like a prequel on, well don't know, the Krogan rebellion or the first contact war but after that freaking ending i'm not going to get any freaking sequel.

Not really sure why people are exaggerating how bad ME3 was.

If you just forget the endings it's a great game and still one of the best games in the last few years.

No, it really isn't.  It's a literary travesty from start to finish that features:

• Piss poor introduction that fails to connect the game to the previous title in any meaningful way
  • New characters introduced, but not given enough characterization or background to care about them at all.
  • Story elements that disregard or directly contradict previously established lore
  • Story elements that disregard or directly contradict choices made by the player/protagonist in previous titles which leads to...
  • Renders events of ME2 completely pointless
  • Reapers reduced to idiotic Godzilla-like monsters that travel from planet to planet stomping on buildings like retards instead of following Sovereign's original strategy of capturing the Citadel first to disable/disrupt enemy resistance - That is, until TIM tells them that the Citadel is the catalyst and then suddenly the Reapers realize how stupid they are and decided to go to the Citadel after all.
  • The farce of the Crucible:  It's a deus ex machina device, one of the worst literary devices a writer can possibly use.  Its convenient discovery at the beginning of the game is completely contrived.  Sheppard et al become almost fanatical in their pursuit of its construction even though they have no idea what it is or what it does.  Once activated, it is basically a "Reaper off" button, something the developers explicitly promised they WOULD NOT DO.

... And more.  If you've got the time and you want a more detailed, in-depth look at everything wrong with ME3 I suggest watching smudboy's Bookends of Destruction videos on youtube.  Here's a link to the first one to get you started:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiN8gL40d84

In addition to the steaming pile of crap that constitutes the writing in ME3, there was Bioware's seriously mismanaged PR campaign.  Before it was released, Bioware reps told us outright lies about the game and it's ending.  They said everything would be answered.  It was not.  They said endings would be many and varied and would be depend wholly on the actions the player took in previous games.  Instead, we got minor variations on the ending in three different colors.  Even the ending DLC doesn't change the fact that instead of the many endings promised, we only get three and they do not depend AT ALL on what you did in previous titles.  They said the ending definitely wouldn't be a simple A, B, C choice.  It was exactly that.  Even the Better Business Bureau agreed that they were guilty of false advertising

When players called them out on their crap, Bioware fed us lines about their "vision" and their "artistic integrity."  Some Bioware employees posted tweets that insulted our intelligence by implying that we just didn't "get it."

So yeah... When I say that ME3 ruined the entire franchise for me, it's not just about the ending.  It's about a company sending out a giant FUCK YOU to the fans who actually cared about the story continuity and lore of the Mass Effect franchise.

It will be difficult for the next game to hold a candle close to the Olympic torch the Mass Effect trilogy was, even though 3 ruined almost everything. I would like the next game to be a sequel and not a prequel, we already know how things go before the Shepard/Reaper trilogy and it would be boring to see. I want to see how the universe evolved after the War with the Reapers, though neither the Control or the Synergize endings would be fair to use, they can do an Infamous and choose an ending as canon and continue from there.

I want it to take place far into the future, so that even the name Shepard is a legend and for some reason no one is sure truly what happened and what Shepard's choice was. Somehow the Geth will be back (since the Destroy ending basically says they were killed off, if you choose that well somehow in this new game the Quarians just remade them), and they again have free will and single minded like Legion wanted.

Then ultimately let us choose the race. Honestly I don't want to be another human, Shepard was cool but pass the torch to another race if not allow us to choose the race.

... And more.  If you've got the time and you want a more detailed, in-depth look at everything wrong with ME3 I suggest watching smudboy's Bookends of Destruction videos on youtube.  Here's a link to the first one to get you started:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiN8gL40d84

You have some points here but  unfortunately the video you posted is just some guy bitching that nobody explains him every single thing in the game xD

While I understand all the complaints, it's just that we were promised more and the game just didn't meet the expectations.

This still doesn't make it a bad game comparing to other games around, it's just not good enough.

Shepard here, and i'd love a sequel. sure i won't be in it, but hell, plenty of bad guys in the galaxy need to eat heat through their teeth. *pew pew*

lol, but seriously a sequel could be very interesting if it were based sayyyy in between mass effect 1 and 2. Perhaps you're an up and coming bounty hunter of a species of your choice and gender and make a name for yourself in the galaxy. You acquire a ship busting out of prison for *insert vague backstory here* and you and your cellmate get in wacky adventures and shanangens in Mass Effect galaxy; meanwhile learning of this crazy human with N7 on their chest blasting through terminus while you dodge asteroids, wrestle Krogan and bed Asari.

*sigh* i wish i were alive again :( Take care of Traynor and Liara for me.