• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

IGDK13

I feel the old Viking blood...

28 posts in this topic

...in my veins - but times have changed, I can't take some of my mates with me on a boat, and start looting and

plunder my neighbors haha.

So why isn't there any Viking games set in a open-world Viking world?

You see elements of it in Skyrim and Witcher 3 - but it isn't a Viking world.

Why not learn some history instead of playing fantasy-games?

Am I the only one, who'd really like to see an open-world Viking game?

Would be interesting as a new genre, there are actually tonnes of untouched genres that I would like to try out just for a refreshing change

Leo~

Would be interesting as a new genre, there are actually tonnes of untouched genres that I would like to try out just for a refreshing change

Leo~

Absolutely! The French Revolution hasn't really been explored - but I relay on Assassin's Creed there. The Cold War era as well, but there I'm hoping on Rockstar Games. But can't remember any decent Viking games in newer times (or older for that matter). And if developers wanted that "fantasy" twist to the game -

there's loads to get from Nordic mythology.

Remember Rune? :D

I'd love the game with northern symbolics, gods and tales. Definitely something that should be used more.

I remember a game called Viking that was made for Xbox 360 and Windows that was open world and dealt with Ragnarok essentially. However it wasn't a big critical hit and it didn't make a whole lot of cash either. Either way it would be kind of nice to see one of the fiercest warriors to ever exist get their own great and well known game.

IGDK13 likes this

You see elements of it in Skyrim and Witcher 3 - but it isn't a Viking world.

What makes a Viking world a Viking world besides coldass weather, tundra-like environments and dudes with swords?

I've got to admit, the Vikings TV show from the history channel makes me crave some gritty medieval settings in movies and games.

Absolutely! The French Revolution hasn't really been explored - but I relay on Assassin's Creed there. The Cold War era as well, but there I'm hoping on Rockstar Games. But can't remember any decent Viking games in newer times (or older for that matter). And if developers wanted that "fantasy" twist to the game -

there's loads to get from Nordic mythology.

With the Viking idea the open world element alone would be fantastic, raising cities to the ground and making colonies for further establishing your growing empire, and by praying to the Nordic gods you could gain 'buffs' to compliment the tactics to be used, the possibilities are huge!

Other genres I thought of could include, Aztecs and the city of gold during the Spanish invasion, Egyptians during the pharaoh era and Atlantis ( not the Stargate spinoff ) the actual civilisation at its peak

Leo~

What makes a Viking world a Viking world besides coldass weather, tundra-like environments and dudes with swords?

Their mythology, their architecture, their culture, their history, their symbols, their battle tactics, their boats, their armor...everything really :)

With the Viking idea the open world element alone would be fantastic, raising cities to the ground and making colonies for further establishing your growing empire, and by praying to the Nordic gods you could gain 'buffs' to compliment the tactics to be used, the possibilities are huge!

Leo~

Exactly the same possibilities I see - though a lot of the plunder would take place in England :P When I go to England and I say I'm from Denmark...they go:

"Oh you're back" lol - love British sense of humor!

Well there is a ton of Viking inspired games like War of the Vikings & "Medieval Total War Viking Invasion" (there is hopefully some mods for newer total war games because this one is real old and look kinda bad in today's standards) which probably are the most historical accurate one's at the moment. Rune & Volgarr The Viking are viking inspired games. But there's also Viking: Battle for Asgard which is an open world RPG mixed with some strategy. 

You would stay headless only by saying "mate" on a viking boat.

its interesting how few game developers bring out new stuff and constantly reuse stuff thats been done 1000 times... is this just an incredible lack of creativity or greed?

I'd love a open world viking RPG. Someone should go get in touch with the History channel Viking guys and make a loose tie in. By loose I mean we wouldn't play as any of the characters in the tv show but would get the chance to meet them at different times. Given the length of time it would take to travel across the sea, plunder and return the game could take place over a number of years so you could 'level up' from a warriors first outing to an older, badass veteran who eventually gets command of his own ship and crew.

So you could slowly build up your farm and town or something in the slower moments of the game, talk to NPCs and learn about the vikings and time period, the Gods and all those sorts of things in fun ways instead of *Gets hit by history lecture*. Starting as a young character would allow the game to introduce and teach things to the character as well as the player without seeming out of place. Then you start doing raids on enemies in surrounding lands on foot or whatever, which you can go do almost whenever from then on - though also having to defend your village from retaliation. Then you start going across the sea to raid England and time can skip a few months for the trips - unless they wanted to make it a super open world and make the ocean not quite as big and have you actually sail there via gameplay, though I imagine that would get boring fast, though letting us actually control the boat for a bit would be great.

I think it'd be pretty cool. You'd have the large and mostly safe, combat free areas of your village and the surrounding forests (maybe you can go hunting for food and other supplies at times), rivers, etc. Then further inland you have a rival group of whoever that you can fight and defend against, even going on stealth raids into their territory. Then when you cross the seas you could have a massive slab of open world England with a few small villages and a bigger more heavily defended one. Could even have a few different 'landing' zones on the map for England so we get several open world areas of it. This system of course would provide a really easy way for future content of new areas.

I'd love the game so much. Especially if it allowed male and female character creation and customization. :D

I think it would be pretty awesome for an historically based Viking game. Until then just play Mediaeval Total War Viking Invasion :P 

Well it should be like an open world RTS kinda game rather than open world rpg when you want all the plundering of far off countries and so on because skyrim is the biggest nordic RPG you will get if you want other big open countries to plunder, than thats just asking too much from the devs in my opinion. 

I would reccomend medivel total war: viking invasion and crusader kings probably has some viking mods also.

There is also beowulf the game.

And we probably wont have vikings in witcher 3 but just nords of some sort probably.

...because skyrim is the biggest nordic RPG you will get if you want other big open countries to plunder, than thats just asking too much from the devs in my opinion.

Nah not necessarily. It depends on their engine. Skyrim was made entirely by hand, there was no like landmass generator being used like in Oblivion. I mean your goal would be finding villages and deciding how to approach them to raid or steal from. Not exploring every nook and cranny of the map and delving into old tombs and caves. Generated landmasses which are then gone over to make more interesting in places would be fine for such a game in the raiding locations I think. Obviously though at the vikings home village or area it would want far more attention and care paid to it to make it really interesting to explore. That would only be one area that has to be super interesting though, imo.

Well there is a ton of Viking inspired games like War of the Vikings & "Medieval Total War Viking Invasion" (there is hopefully some mods for newer total war games because this one is real old and look kinda bad in today's standards) which probably are the most historical accurate one's at the moment. Rune & Volgarr The Viking are viking inspired games. But there's also Viking: Battle for Asgard which is an open world RPG mixed with some strategy. 

Cheers for you Viking titles, Swedish Viking brother :) But I was more looking for a open-world game in 3rd person view, like Skyrim and Witcher. I think that would be a fantastic setting for an open-world game!

You would stay headless only by saying "mate" on a viking boat.

lol...true - I'd never dream of doing that haha

I'd prefer a Byzantine Empire thematic game... Nobody has done that (asides from Total War and Europa Universalis esque games). It's a really interesting setting, with the political machinations... Damn, even a game in the Visigoth Iberian Peninsula era, just before the muslim intended invasion.

its interesting how few game developers bring out new stuff and constantly reuse stuff thats been done 1000 times... is this just an incredible lack of creativity or greed?

I think it's both. It's like every developers and companies, no matter how small they are, can produce visual beautiful games - because they have the

technique to do it. But writing a game story that are new and interesting seems to be a much larger task. So we gamers should stop buying these "every year

games" - Batman is really over the hill. The first one was brilliant, the next okay and the new one...boring - same old same old. The Last of US, Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire was examples of making games, that haven't really been seen before - loved them!!! But would I like a squel to any of them? Not sure.

Zombie games are also starting to become tiring. There's so many settings to make games from if you look in the history books.

I'd love a open world viking RPG. Someone should go get in touch with the History channel Viking guys and make a loose tie in. By loose I mean we wouldn't play as any of the characters in the tv show but would get the chance to meet them at different times. Given the length of time it would take to travel across the sea, plunder and return the game could take place over a number of years so you could 'level up' from a warriors first outing to an older, badass veteran who eventually gets command of his own ship and crew.

So you could slowly build up your farm and town or something in the slower moments of the game, talk to NPCs and learn about the vikings and time period, the Gods and all those sorts of things in fun ways instead of *Gets hit by history lecture*. Starting as a young character would allow the game to introduce and teach things to the character as well as the player without seeming out of place. Then you start doing raids on enemies in surrounding lands on foot or whatever, which you can go do almost whenever from then on - though also having to defend your village from retaliation. Then you start going across the sea to raid England and time can skip a few months for the trips - unless they wanted to make it a super open world and make the ocean not quite as big and have you actually sail there via gameplay, though I imagine that would get boring fast, though letting us actually control the boat for a bit would be great.

I think it'd be pretty cool. You'd have the large and mostly safe, combat free areas of your village and the surrounding forests (maybe you can go hunting for food and other supplies at times), rivers, etc. Then further inland you have a rival group of whoever that you can fight and defend against, even going on stealth raids into their territory. Then when you cross the seas you could have a massive slab of open world England with a few small villages and a bigger more heavily defended one. Could even have a few different 'landing' zones on the map for England so we get several open world areas of it. This system of course would provide a really easy way for future content of new areas.

I'd love the game so much. Especially if it allowed male and female character creation and customization. :D

Sweetheart - you're only saying it, cause you're Irish and would love to plunder the English haha - but great points and ideas you're making.

I'm sure, if the pretty girl on the avatar is you, you'll get those guys at HC listening - female charm and beauty gets you everywhere, right? :)

I think it would be pretty awesome for an historically based Viking game. Until then just play Mediaeval Total War Viking Invasion :P

Never really been into total wars - okay the first one was great, but after that one, it has just the same shite over and over again :)

Well it should be like an open world RTS kinda game rather than open world rpg when you want all the plundering of far off countries and so on because skyrim is the biggest nordic RPG you will get if you want other big open countries to plunder, than thats just asking too much from the devs in my opinion. 

I would reccomend medivel total war: viking invasion and crusader kings probably has some viking mods also.

There is also beowulf the game.

And we probably wont have vikings in witcher 3 but just nords of some sort probably.

Just playing Assassin's Creed Black Flag - easily done...we just need a Viking story and setting and some Celts,

Normans, Franks and Gallic armies to fight with :)

I'd prefer a Byzantine Empire thematic game... Nobody has done that (asides from Total War and Europa Universalis esque games). It's a really interesting setting, with the political machinations... Damn, even a game in the Visigoth Iberian Peninsula era, just before the muslim intended invasion.

Does Assassin's Creed: Revelations ring a bell?