• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kcdmgirl

Video Game Movies.... why so much fail?

22 posts in this topic

Why is it that so many video game movies are really crap or completely butcher the franchise/game they're based on? Mainly looking at the Resident Evil movies here, but also I'm not letting the Street Fighter movie out of the equation. 

DARK_HORIZON23 likes this

Because Hollywood. They're more interested in cashing in on a franchise than they are on making something of quality.

Just don't diss mortal combat. Those movies were awesome :D

Also, to make a quick buck.

Putting people who don't care or know about the games, taking out the interactivity part of the games, there's a variety of reasons as to why they suck.

The quality of the source material?  Despite the fact that many people think that games are not far removed from film, I think history has proved this wrong.

the reason is because hollywood likes to have "artistic freedom" with their products, which are movies by the by. But when they are given the freedom they desire for, most of the time the "artistic" version is garbage compared to the original product. But even when they follow the original version they will still make the changes they wish for without much notice before hand. These changes can be rather small, like attitude of a character , or a characters visual appearance. Or it can be major like cutting out a entire scene or even a main character.

That's the real reason why most game movies flop

I don't understand why must they even make a movies out of video games. Games nowadays are starting to remind more and more of movies anyway, like Witcher series, mass effect or The walking dead.

I sort of understand if they are trying to make game out of fighting game, like Mortal Kombat, since it doesn't really have a story, or at least people don't buy it for the story. But the reason why games like MK don't have a story, is because they won't need one. You just kick other player's ass and that's it. Why even bother trying to apply some crappy movie plot into the game world? 

Resident evil movies could have worked I think, but I think they messed up by making Alice(was that her name?) the main character. I don't know. I only watched Resident evil 1 and 2 anyway, so don't have that much info or experience about the topic I guess.

This is how Hollywood thinks: "Hmm, that game is really succesful. Since movies are the supreme form of art, we should have the right of earning more money from that than the actual video-game. Let's make an as cheap as possible movie of this game and get all the people that played the game interested in it. Maybe we get some other people to watch it too, and there we go: profit!" They probably don't think it as straight up as that, but it comes down to the same thing, anyway. 

Because Hollywood. They're more interested in cashing in on a franchise than they are on making something of quality.

Definitely this,they're not paying respect to their source material

These movies don't have big budgets and the directors are not exactly from the top drawer either. Video games have flimsy narratives after all its a game not a book. And this  does not transfer well to movies based on a game. Some movies based on a game are also rushed into production to capitalise on the games financial success and fan appeal.

Either no one cares about the quality because of deadlines, money, etc. or Uwe Boll gets his grubby little mitts on it

Some are pretty decent. Like:

Prince of Persia

Wreck It Ralph (sorta counts)

Resident Evil (Pre-Extinction)

The first Silent Hill movie

Mortal Kombat

Final Fantasy Spirits within

Alone in the Dark

Hit man

Max Payne

Dungeon Siege

Some are just cash grabbers or just made of suck:

Blood Rayne

Resident Evil (Post-Extinction)

The second Silent Hill movie

Postal

Mortal Kombat Anniliation

Super Mario Bros.

Tomb Raider

House of the Dead (and the sequel)

Doom (good action movie at least)

Because it's often handle by a person who doesn't understand the lore of the series.
Just someone who see's a popular game and makes the safe assumption the fans of the series will see the film regardless of quality. 

You get it with more than just games any franchise is affected. High Moon Studios Transformers Fall of/War for Cybertron had more love and knowledge of Transformer lore and character personalities than Michael Bay could ever dream of having. 

I think that the actors and directors have to play the game to feel the sphere and unique feelings that each character gives to the game.

well in the resident evil movies paul anderson stated he didn't want to follow the games in my perspective its good. he did it for reason being everyone thats played the game would already know everything. could they have came up with a different approach YES lol those movies are so horrible that I nearly left in the last film if it wasn't for leon showing up he's my favorite character. as for street fighter I have no idea what they were thinking. now what I think what games would be good for movies would be

1. bio-shock reason being it has so many parallel universe that hollywood can just make up their own

2. zelda cause it would just be easy to throw a bunch of elfs and cgi stuff together and have link on a quest

3. darkness would me great a mafia movie with with cgi effects and creatures

so those are my top 3 hollywood cant mess up movies let me know if my wrong or your top three 

well in the resident evil movies paul anderson stated he didn't want to follow the games in my perspective its good. he did it for reason being everyone thats played the game would already know everything. could they have came up with a different approach YES lol those movies are so horrible that I nearly left in the last film if it wasn't for leon showing up he's my favorite character. as for street fighter I have no idea what they were thinking. now what I think what games would be good for movies would be

1. bio-shock reason being it has so many parallel universe that hollywood can just make up their own

2. zelda cause it would just be easy to throw a bunch of elfs and cgi stuff together and have link on a quest

3. darkness would me great a mafia movie with with cgi effects and creatures

so those are my top 3 hollywood cant mess up movies let me know if my wrong or your top three 

Still though, I'm fine if you don't want to directly follow the game, but Resident Evil I'd say is a special case. Its one thing to alienate your fans, its another to alienate your audience. Which these movies have recently been doing, I mean come on, I've seen better COSPLAYERS than the people that they casted to play some of the franchises characters. Hell, even the voice actor of Leon Kennedy looks more like his character than the movie actor did! Besides, recently it seems like the movies are 75% slow motion and have thrown whatever plot there was completely out of the window. 

The first Mortal Kombat wasn't bad, but don't bother trying to defend Annihilation. Only one actor from the previous film reprized their role and even then they were killed off within the first scene. 

The Prince of Persia movie wasn't bad, but I think because it was Disney, they probably wanted to do somethings that would have probably upped the rating a little bit, but couldn't, however it would have helped. Yeah the dialogue was kinda cheesy but it was true to its source material.

Because videogames sucks as movies. Just look at heavy rain and beyond two souls, which can hardly be considered a game.

Japan does it right. I mean have you seen Professor Layton the Eternal Diva and Ace Attorney? Both captures the game's feeling PERFECTLY. Ace Attorney's embarassing to watch for the first 5 minutes because the character's hairs looks so stupid, but get past through that and you'll get a good movie.

Eternal Diva movie watchable right here.

And the Ace Attorney movie right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s5ZCmO5Xc4

Those damn hairs, they're sooo baad.

i think its caus most video game movies tend to want to be a movie version of a game rather than a movie set in the same realm/universe