• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Octo Doc

Game Development

12 posts in this topic

We here all love playing games, I'm sure. But I want to know:(because I'm genuinely interested)

Who here wants to get into game development, or indeed has already begun developing/creating their own game? 

And what area of development are you most interested in, if your answer was "Yes"?

If you haven't but would like to, I'd suggest researching: 

-Game Engines (Unity, Cry, UDK) 

-Modelling Software (Maya, Blender, Max) 

-Scripting (Books, Youtube, Src Code) 

I want to get into game development, I don't know many areas inside it. But I sure would love to do acting.

Hello!

I plan on entering the Game Development industry(or the game industry in general). I took a course in game design at the South California Regional Ocupation Center and attended both SIGGRAPH 2013 and Indiecade 2013(Still have yet to work on my first legitimate game though). For anyone who is serious about this, I suggest watching Extra Credits they offer some great advice and insight on the state of the industry or just how game development or game design works(theory and otherwise). 

You might also want to clarify that. Development or being a Game Dev refers to the coding/scripting part of the process. Design is the art/gameplay part of the process. If you are interested in Game Design Extra Credits is a much better show for you. Also I suggest picking up Level Up! a very good book and read for the topic.

Game Engines? I used Unreal. But If you are REALLY serious about game development, I suggest learning a language first before creating games. Video games are very complicated programs, and if you aren't ready for serious code crunching, you should probably not attempt it. Furthermore please remember that if you are to do it by yourself, remember to keep your projects small and managable. The bigger the project, the more effort you have to put into, the more likely you won't finish. (Suggestions I've heared tossed around quite often)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Unity is a superb choice. Unity was 80% of the show in Indiecade 2013.

BSB and AverageSpacePope like this

I've been taking a course in games development for about a year and a half now. I really enjoy it and I have experience in 3ds Max, UDK, Photoshop and Sony Vegas. Right now I'm learning how to use Flash in order create a 2D side-scroller. Hopefully at the end of the course I'll be able to go on to university.

Game Engines? I used Unreal. But If you are REALLY serious about game development, I suggest learning a language first before creating games. Video games are very complicated programs, and if you aren't ready for serious code crunching, you should probably not attempt it. Furthermore please remember that if you are to do it by yourself, remember to keep your projects small and managable. The bigger the project, the more effort you have to put into, the more likely you won't finish. (Suggestions I've heared tossed around quite often)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Unity is a superb choice. Unity was 80% of the show in Indiecade 2013.

Yeah I'm learning C++ right now and It's a nightmare for me :). Also, your right about keeping projects manageable. That's why I'm only making a small Flash game for my Final Major Project within my college course. Also, if nobody has seen any of the Unity made cinematics on youtube, I highly recommend that you check them out. 

Partly due to the constantly talked about terrible work conditions/treatment/pay/keeping a job/finding a job/etc of being a game developer, definitely not. Unless I was working with a much smaller indie studio.

Partly due to the constantly talked about terrible work conditions/treatment/pay/keeping a job/finding a job/etc of being a game developer, definitely not. Unless I was working with a much smaller indie studio.

Yeah. This is also a problem I am concerned about.

Developers have it slightly better than degsigners i hear though, but still. I think there is hope in the future though, as more and more people are becoming aware of the work conditions, and eventually some sort of union should be made for game devs.

I think its important for designers to be aware of the capabilities which come with whatever scripting languages are being used. So, a knowledge of things like java could and should really help. Plus its always a nice thing to include on the CV. 

Ive just completed a Diploma course in games dev. in the 2 years i spent there i learned how to use the cry engine, unreal development kit, script writing (as in stories), flash cs4 and sound design but the majority of my time was spent on character modelling, rigging and texturing. i'm not a pro or anything but working to get better. I studied programming for 2 years before that though. I'm exploring different areas of game development but my interest is leaning more towards cinematics and animation. 

I would absolutely love to get into game development, but I just don't have the time  :(

I want to get into game development because I want to inspire people like i was inspired by those who created games when I was young. That would be the greatest feeling ever.

Stupid error double posted on this thread sorry.