• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jemtai

Old games for old people

24 posts in this topic

Just feel a bit nostalgic for the "good ol' days"...I'm sure there are other dinosaurs like myself that remember the days when the internet was still part of science fiction, game companies delivered masterpieces (buggy masterpieces, but still =P) and every game was a surprise and a mind-opener. Diablo 1, Command & Conquer 1, Starcraft, KKND, XCOM 1,2,3, Tribal Rage, the Mechwarrior Series, MechCommander, 7th Legion, Warcraft, Master of Orion, Dune 2000, Dune: Emperor, Sim City, Civilization, The Settlers, Fallout, Counterstrike, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty....the first of every concept. No "copy and paste", no "generics", no "just another FPS". The games which founded the concepts of RTS, FPS, RPG. 

Yes Fallout 2 was THE most buggy game in existence at the time. BUT it was also the most epic. Yes Diablo 1 was unbelievably stiff when chopping skeletons, but there was nothing else like it. The games which were responsible for a generation of kids (starting with us) not going out to play but staying at home and not getting any sun.

This post is for the ancients who remember those days, and who feel that the current trend of games and gaming companies is....well, Angry Joe says it best. You DONE FUCKED IT UP! Apart from some exceptions, of course. And even those are getting fewer.

Well to me you dont seem ancient at all or maybe im just weird who plays games that are almost as old as me.

I cant believe that while you are mentioning CoD and Medal of Honour you are totally forgetting about wolfenstein 3d, duke nukem 3d and Doom.

Thank jeebus for older family, my cousin literally opened my gaming perspective beyond NES to PC with pretty much all those games listed. And I was hooked on space combat when he showed me X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter...looking at you Star Citizen. Now that I think about it, I should thank him. But I did start gaming back when everything was put together with 1 inch pixels (Atari).

Well to me you dont seem ancient at all or maybe im just weird who plays games that are almost as old as me.

I cant believe that while you are mentioning CoD and Medal of Honour you are totally forgetting about wolfenstein 3d, duke nukem 3d and Doom.

Oh yeah. I did forget about Doom. I never played Duke Nukem though. So I guess in the FPS category I was a late bloomer, as opposed to RTS and RPG. And you know what they say...you're as old as you feel. =P

And speaking of Star Citizen....Freelancer. By God, we need another Freelancer so bad. Let's cross our fingers for Star Citizen.

Diablo(the first one) 

Doom

Final fantasy 

metal gear soild

legends of zelda: ocarina of time / link's awakening

Mario games

Sonic

half-life

Castlevania

Old fallout games

resident evil games

mega man!

system shock

Thief 

Quake

Mortal combat and street fighter. 

Honestly im sure there is more in my memory somewhere but i cant recall anything else ive play in my childhood, but i did enjoy all of the games i listed. 

I know what you mean. Totally forgot about the fighting games; soul calibur, street fighter, mortal kombat, tekken...
The racing games...mini-machines?

Used to go one on one quake once a week. Seems like it was in a past life now. Don't forget the arcade shooters too; nothing like modern FPS but good fun if you had a friend with you and a gun instead of a controller

I'm not that old yet but i've been in a nostalgic mood too lately.

I've been replaying Septerra Core (first game i ever bought).

And thinking about all those shareware demos i played back then, like carmageddon, the settlers 3, eat this.

Back then i could play the same demo with 1 or 2 levels over and over again, now i hardly finish any games cause they can't keep my attention  <_<

There are a ton of good old games out their. Here are some games I didn't see mentioned.

One Must Fall 2097-PC-Good fighting game

Blood-PC-Awesome old school FPS

Icewind Dale Series-PC-Good D&D RPG games

Eye of the Beholder Series-PC- Excellant old school dungeon crawler. Legends of Grimrock is a good game that brings me back to eye of the beholder game style.

Wasteland-PC-Excellant RPG.

Jazz Jackrabbit/Commander Keen-PC-Good platformers that were on the PC.

Stargunner-PC-excellant space ship shooter.

Shogo:Mobile armor devision-PC-excellant mech and fps hybrid.

I could be here forever. I still go back and play some of these titles from time to time and there are some old titles that I have just started playing for the first time like "Shattered Steel" which is a cool mech game.

Remember playing the first call of duty, civilization, and dumping countless hours into Heroes of might and magic 3 (me and some friends still play that game time from time). Those really seem to be the older pc games i played have way more stuff to add if we go onto consoles. I also played doom but not until the psx version. 

May I be forgiven. How could I forget Icewind Dale. Yes, one of the great questions of Life, the Universe and Everything...where the hell is Icewind Dale III? Come on Black Isle, it's been years! Give us a sequel dammit! Neverwinter Nights is still going, why not Icewind Dale? 

Actually this proves my point EXACTLY. A few of the dinosaurs who have posted here have said, you missed out a few..why didn't you mention these games? And I BET they were just listing games that were on the tip of their tongue, as it were. As I did. Meaning  that there were SO MANY of these older games that made such an impression, that you could go on and on and still people would say, hey, you missed one. And I did. So many classics.

Whereas...anyone want to try and name great games in the past...say, 5 years? If we exclude the franchises that we have mentioned here like C&C, Total War, Diablo, Starcraft...how many titles will we be left with? AND some of those titles have begun to suck. Actually. I feel bad every time I forget a game, like I've done it an injustice =P. Elder Scrolls. Wizardry. Startopia PLEASE MAKE A STARTOPIA SEQUEL!! 

Wow, those all bring back great memories. I go even further back than some of those with might and magic (not heroes of ..) Wizardary, and The Summoning. Throw in some Twilight 2000, Masters of Orion (as mentioned in first post but definately deserves a second mention) and D&D Spelljammer and I think that would have been a year in my life.

I still recall the thrill as other kids snuck Carmageddon onto school PCs in an era where it was technically a banned game here in Oz!

Glad I'm not the only dinosaur around here :P I played so many old games when they were new, and yet missed so many. GOG is gold if you feel nostalgic btw. They have ton of the truly good old classics.

Let's not forget Sierra, the king of the adventure games: Leisure Suit Larry 1-7 (8 was made by Atari and is awful), King's Quest 1-7, Space Quest 1-3, Gabriel Knight 1-2, Police Quest 1-2 (the original SWAT was theirs too, but never sold well).

Sierra and LucasArts defined the adventure game genre, and the format was so solid it barely changed at all till the genre died out (Deponia is a great comeback to that style and humour).

I've played and owned pretty much every single title Sierra ever released, including Grand Prix Legends, which I think is the only historical racing simulator ever made. It was AFAIK the first racing game made for PC that basically required wheel+pedals to even be playable because of the incredibly realistic physics engine. Gamepads (controllers) were not really a thing for PC back then, and most of them were digital.

I remember playing SimCity - the original shareware version Will Wright made with a couple friends before they had a real publisher. And just about every Sim game Maxis made afterwards (Tower Sim was an addictive game, even if it was extremely primitive - if you find it, get it and play it, it should still run in Win95 mode on modern machines, or on the emulators).

Lost many days to Civilization. Dune 2 and Dune 2000 pretty much took over in place of doing homework. Wolfenstein 3D spread to every computer we had at school, alongside Tank Wars (made in 1986 - http://www.squakenet.com/download/tank-wars/908/ ) << note the amazing sound assets. We still played it in 2002, though it might have been a remake, not entirely sure.).

Stunts - first racing game to include a track editor. It was made by the people who made The Duel (Test Drive 2) and for the time it had great 3D graphics. Think we're talking 1995 here, so there wasn't much competition. Track Mania is pretty much the only modern game to have a similar editor.

Under a Killing Moon - not sure if it was a first, but I remember it as such (not the first in the series mind you) It mixed video of real actors on blue/green screen with 3D environments and multiple-choice conversations. It was one of the first games I remember being on 4 CDs, simply because video compression didn't really exist when it came out.

Need for Speed Underground 2 I think is the last modern game to use that video technique (Josie Maran, you're cute, but you can't act, sorry).

A lot of people think Tomb Raider was the first game with a female lead, but it was actually Jill of the Jungle by Epic MegaGames in 1992. Though not quite up to the level of Mario, Jill had the ability to magically transform into a fish or a bird to cross obstacles.

There are tons other games I played back then, but I can't remember the title of many of them.

Jemtai likes this

Wait does this mean I am in the dinosaur category already at the age of 25? :(

Hell yes. Anyone above....23, maybe? Not sure, but anyone who has played a game BEFORE some evil genius invented DLCs or DVDs probably qualifies. =P 

Hmm. When did the invent DLCs anyway? It's a bit like those horror movies; one moment we were just bumbling along, then suddenly we had 2 or 3 DLCs per game. Weird.

Revenge of shinobi-Ninjas on Mega Drive

Dark Forces-Star Wars Doom engine

Syphon filter( a bit newer)-That stupid run and awesome voices

Red Alert-Need i say more

Doom-The original/best FPS

Tekken-The old games were the balls, newer ones...not so much

Why, sir? Why did you bring up MechCommander? I was happy having left the game forgotten, but now I am cursed once more with my glorious memories that leave me longing for such wonders yet again.

Jemtai likes this

Hell yes. Anyone above....23, maybe? Not sure, but anyone who has played a game BEFORE some evil genius invented DLCs or DVDs probably qualifies. =P

Anyone from before DVD's or DLC? That is a rather large category, I would have expected anyone that can remember installing games from Floppy drives in MSDOS qualifies.

Well asking if someone is from  before DLC-s then pretty much most of us probably are. I myself started when floppy time was ending, there were some cd-s, dont remember that time very well. I remember the time where DLC-s where called expasions. Digital age has pretty much ruined expasions, because no one would put out like a skin expasion on the dvd and on the shelfs. They would have to put on the expasion a lot of great content a new campagain and so on for it to be worth it for the developers. Now developers and publishers are abusing the system.

Anyone from before DVD's or DLC? That is a rather large category, I would have expected anyone that can remember installing games from Floppy drives in MSDOS qualifies.

I played games on my brother's 286 using 5.25" floppies when the mouse was this super expensive curiosity that wasn't supported by anything. We didn't install games back then. You had 20 games on a 540 KB floppy and still had space left. Qubert and Pongo ftw :P A lot of games then were written to play from the floppy, and simply would not work if you copied them onto the harddrive - there was no installers for games, they were too small to bother.

NEC and Sega (for the Genesis) had the first CD-drives for consoles, but as for what the first game on CD was for the different platforms... seems noone can agree. Dune, Iron Helix, Mixed Up Mother Goose (CD vers.), Jones in the Fast Lane are candidates for 1992, but pretty sure CD-ROM drives came out in 1990 or early 1991 and it was all the rave because suddenly there was enough space that you could have video and voiceovers and such.

The DVD got officially released on 13 Feb 1998 (atleast here in Denmark) - I remember because I was at the presentation event at the local mall :P. As for the first game on DVD... no clue. The PS2 was the first console to use DVDs I believe, but for the PC... I don't know. I remember having to buy a DVD drive to play one of the Tomb Raider games that came out in 2005-6-7 or something like that. For a long time before that most games gave you the choice between CD and DVD versions.

First digital downloadable game... tricky to find out, because pirated games could be downloaded by modem using the BBS system long before the CD came out, but I have no idea when they started to sell games that way - it was before Steam though. Steam just streamlined the system.

That's not dinosaurs...that's Pacific Rim Kaijuu level =P

Well, I do remember that, actually. Computers which had ONLY Floppy Drives. But I thought that it shouldn't be too exclusive a category. You know. =P And dinosaurs in this context refers to...people who remember the earth before all the mammals started popping up, I guess. You remember a time when WTF wasn't the feeling of the day

Just feel a bit nostalgic for the "good ol' days"...I'm sure there are other dinosaurs like myself that remember the days when the internet was still part of science fiction, game companies delivered masterpieces (buggy masterpieces, but still =P) and every game was a surprise and a mind-opener. Diablo 1, Command & Conquer 1, Starcraft, KKND, XCOM 1,2,3, Tribal Rage, the Mechwarrior Series, MechCommander, 7th Legion, Warcraft, Master of Orion, Dune 2000, Dune: Emperor, Sim City, Civilization, The Settlers, Fallout, Counterstrike, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty....the first of every concept. No "copy and paste", no "generics", no "just another FPS". The games which founded the concepts of RTS, FPS, RPG. 

Yes Fallout 2 was THE most buggy game in existence at the time. BUT it was also the most epic. Yes Diablo 1 was unbelievably stiff when chopping skeletons, but there was nothing else like it. The games which were responsible for a generation of kids (starting with us) not going out to play but staying at home and not getting any sun.

This post is for the ancients who remember those days, and who feel that the current trend of games and gaming companies is....well, Angry Joe says it best. You DONE FUCKED IT UP! Apart from some exceptions, of course. And even those are getting fewer.

As someone who grew up with games even older then that, and who has more then a degree of fondness for older titles... I disagree.

I think there are more innovative and better quality games now then in any other time in history. Its just usually coming from smaller companies. The market is SO much bigger then it was back then and the tools for small developers so much better. 

I mean, Cart Life, Papers Please, Stanley parable.. if you want to get less artsy and more mainstream, Minecraft. League of Legends... those are tiny, tiny companies that made a hojillion dollars and spawned their own genres/subgenre's. 

Even for the major players have put out some real gems in the past few years. I'll put DA1 up against Fallout 2 any day of the week, and GTA 5 was the first official GTA game I've enjoyed since the very first one.

That said, there is certainly a huge dearth of creativity and willingness to take risks from the larger companies (Blizzard being an obvious example) and the less said about EA, the better. I think that's more worrying for THEM (and to a lesser extent, console manufacturers) then the game industry as a whole though. 

Yeah, but...that's my point, you see. Even with Technology, 20 years of progress, the huge market, the internet...yet we still remember those old games...why? And it's not just nostalgia; we SHOULD remember them fondly, but not so much that people still install Dosbox and emulators to play those ancient games. They should be relics; holy relics yes, but still relics. As it is we're still replaying them so often that they don't even collect dust. 

"I think there are more innovative and better quality games now then in any other time in history. Its just usually coming from smaller companies. The market is SO much bigger then it was back then and the tools for small developers so much better. "

And you seem to have understood my meaning here...I'm not saying there aren't any good games or that games are getting worse (That's another post, saw it that day); I'm just saying that I rarely get that mind-blowing feeling from new games. That "I haven't seen this before" or "Whut the...whut the!! THis game!! This game is awesome!" feeling. Not never, but rarely. And League of Legends...uhh...that's just a DOTA ripoff? AND Dota was made by a player? So...I can't really say that the game industry did a good job there.