• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Weynard

How to play PS2 properly - Planetside for dummies

51 posts in this topic

I have a couple questions after being back in this game for a couple sessions. I could do it before but can't remember for the life of me anymore and got a little eyestrained to find what it is called but what are the default keys for chat options? I mean like 'I need ammo' 'Medic' and 'Thanks' I don't have a headset and sort of feel impolite not thanking people for revives. Also how do you deploy the Sunderer? Is that a cert? If so what is it under?

I have a couple questions after being back in this game for a couple sessions. I could do it before but can't remember for the life of me anymore and got a little eyestrained to find what it is called but what are the default keys for chat options? I mean like 'I need ammo' 'Medic' and 'Thanks' I don't have a headset and sort of feel impolite not thanking people for revives. Also how do you deploy the Sunderer? Is that a cert? If so what is it under?

The default callout key is V, then you can press the number for whichever callout you want, like 1 is thanks, 2 is medic etc.

Sunderers can only be deployed by pressing B once you've got the AMS cert, which costs 50 points. Should find it under utility certs I think. Well worth the investment, I'm sure everyone would agree.

Shadow Stealer likes this

OP updated! Even more Text and even less colours, weeee~!

Hmm you should mention the Assault Rifels of the Medic Class more ther are some really Powerfull Weapons to get! Because the Assault Rife is right betwen an Shotgun and an SMG. An good Assault Rifle can be Medics best Friend in this game.

I strongly disagree with your last statement. Assault Rifles tend to create the illusion of being a Light Assault, which in turn leads to you shooting more and healing less. If you feel like you can control those urges, sure, go for a Rifle, but I'd rather have new medics learn how to be useful first. Once you get more experienced you'll realise this guide is still mostly basic stuff and you will find your perfect spec eventually.

Furthermore, SMGs have less damage per bullet, but are much more precise and reload faster, which evens out the damage application. Similarly, shotguns have a much inferior range compared to Rifles and SMGs, so comparing all three at once doesn't really work. I'd say SMGs are very similar to Assault Rifles.

AlShareef114 and DarkDranix like this

OP updated! Even more Text and even less colours, weeee~!

I strongly disagree with your last statement. Assault Rifles tend to create the illusion of being a Light Assault, which in turn leads to you shooting more and healing less. If you feel like you can control those urges, sure, go for a Rifle, but I'd rather have new medics learn how to be useful first. Once you get more experienced you'll realise this guide is still mostly basic stuff and you will find your perfect spec eventually.

Furthermore, SMGs have less damage per bullet, but are much more precise and reload faster, which evens out the damage application. Similarly, shotguns have a much inferior range compared to Rifles and SMGs, so comparing all three at once doesn't really work. I'd say SMGs are very similar to Assault Rifles.

I will see, im an expirenced FPS player since Counter Strike and Americas Army playing this shit since im 15 :D i have an good tacitic whit Assault Rifels that works Gold if the game is offering me the chance of the right calibration. And PS2 is doing this i figured out about 2 Hours yesterday in VR Training wich Rifle this could be and i found it just need some goodies and im good to go for the feeling of perfect handling of the gun playing around whit the mous sensitivity and so on (of course i have an pro gaming mouse). But you are right if you concentrated to much on this you more play like an light Assault then a Medic and that i definitly dont wanna do. I will do the Medic stuff 100% but having a good and strong balanced rifle whit the right goodies is never false but at First and Last im a Medic, i will not forget that.

And i see you got promoted to Sargent right!? Congrats on that defently deserved it :) would be cool to follow you in battle.

I will see, im an expirenced FPS player since Counter Strike and Americas Army playing this shit since im 15 :D i have an good tacitic whit Assault Rifels that works Gold if the game is offering me the chance of the right calibration. And PS2 is doing this i figured out about 2 Hours yesterday in VR Training wich Rifle this could be and i found it just need some goodies and im good to go for the feeling of perfect handling of the gun playing around whit the mous sensitivity and so on (of course i have an pro gaming mouse). But you are right if you concentrated to much on this you more play like an light Assault then a Medic and that i definitly dont wanna do. I will do the Medic stuff 100% but having a good and strong balanced rifle whit the right goodies is never false but at First and Last im a Medic, i will not forget that.

And i see you got promoted to Sargent right!? Congrats on that defently deserved it :) would be cool to follow you in battle.

Thanks, and yes, I am pretty sure we'll meet tomorrow, provided you're on for the big Homecoming party. We've been shaping up for about a week now and we're finally entering a stage where we can really start to throw our weigth around again on Waterson,

AlShareef114 likes this

Hello fellow soldier,

man, it took me a while to read the whole guide but it was definetly worth it. Thank you for this brief introdcution :)

AlShareef114 likes this

Updated with tips on squad and platoon play.

I am also very pleased and excited to announce that the OP now consists of exactly 11.111 words. I can die happy now.

DarkDranix likes this

Updated with tips on squad and platoon play.

I am also very pleased and excited to announce that the OP now consists of exactly 11.111 words. I can die happy now.

Very nice mate, have one on me:

44658_large.jpg

Weynard likes this

Wow, epic post, thanks for all the info, time to practice now! :D

They always told me I should read more books. So I did.

Great post, gave me a lot to think about since I usually just run around lost and confused as a Heavy, but still trying my best. I just started in PS2.

More questions:- How do I lock the squad or Sunderer to outfit/squad only? Anyone have any idea what is the best SMG for TR? I'm a medic and want one but can't decide which to get.

More questions:- How do I lock the squad or Sunderer to outfit/squad only? Anyone have any idea what is the best SMG for TR? I'm a medic and want one but can't decide which to get.

Page down brings up the vehicle options menu so you can set whatever your spawned vehicle is to squad or outfit only.

I've not tried any of the SMGs personally yet, but I've heard good things about both the Armistice and Hailstorm. I'd suggest you try trialing them from the depot, see which you prefer the feel of.

Weynard likes this

You rip on Snipers so much...why? You obviously must have been a prime target for a while. I love my Infiltrator class...I usually put down Heavies quite often with several shots...from AFAR.

To correct some of the mistakes you made, Snipers are very helpful to the team sitting back and popping off enemy soldiers. That cloak ability get makes us a damn threat...if they can't see us, they won't know where we are until they are dead. It is a great thing because if the only thing keeping an enemy point alive is a single medic...sacrifice yourself. Cloak, go in and murder him! If you survive, all the better!

Now they are a god send in

Problem with snipers is they often tend to be solo players playing for KD not as a part of a team. Also they are chicken!. I'm a medic. I hate your kind :P

(I'm just teasing obviously, sometimes annoying it's just when infiltrator class is done wrong it bothers me)

Problem with snipers is they often tend to be solo players playing for KD not as a part of a team. Also they are chicken!. I'm a medic. I hate your kind :P

(I'm just teasing obviously, sometimes annoying it's just when infiltrator class is done wrong it bothers me)

I can see how it bothers people, usually when I play one, I'll sit back and pop off who I can as the main force goes in. Make it easier on them, if we are taking the base easy enough I come in and turn whatever terminals aren't destroyed & whatnot. I even go turn turrets in main stronghold fights so if they get air support coming in, I can knock it off and keep a watch out for the armor that usually is coming in to stop us.

By the time I got around 2 - 4 turrets turned I switch to a heavy and keep a watch out for any enemy armor/aa and any enemy snipers that may be lurking around to recap them for their side.

The PDW is the best SMG I've ever used.

You rip on Snipers so much...why? You obviously must have been a prime target for a while. I love my Infiltrator class...I usually put down Heavies quite often with several shots...from AFAR.

To correct some of the mistakes you made, Snipers are very helpful to the team sitting back and popping off enemy soldiers. That cloak ability get makes us a damn threat...if they can't see us, they won't know where we are until they are dead. It is a great thing because if the only thing keeping an enemy point alive is a single medic...sacrifice yourself. Cloak, go in and murder him! If you survive, all the better!

Now they are a god send in

I love how you jump to conclusions right in the first paragraph. Everyone has been the target of snipers.

If you didn't know, every single enemy you kill will respawn in less than 10 seconds and will then stay inside on the point since he knows there are snipers around. You facilitated your team's entry by an infinitissimal degree but you potentially fucked every ally that's actually on the cap point. If your team wasn't heavy enough to get in the base, what do you think is going to happen to them when you force the enemy to stay inside?

Your contribution as a sniper is almost zero. Your kills don't matter because they respawn and actually hurt your team. You also kill much slower than a heavy or a MAX with your long reloads and aiming intervals. Hacking a turret more often than not doesn't last very long because a) the enemy spawns right next to them and will just blow them up and B)  they can't fire inside the base. Thus, it matters even less when you go in last, letting your team take all the flak for the sake of your own K/D. Jesus Christ, at least use an SMG like a proper infiltrator!

TL;DR: You're a selfish coward and I'm disgusted by your play style.

TL;DR: You're a selfish coward and I'm disgusted by your play style.

IMO and infiltrator should be used to disrupt the enemy. Not take pop shots from afar. By using and SMG and running into a base before the main force, hacking turrets,terms and generators your are limiting the enemy movements and defense WAY more than the few shots it took to take down a heavy. Also after you put 1 round into him, he knows where you are and puts just 1 bullet into you and you relocate. Happens everytime I see a sniper. The infantry advance continues.

Although If hes running in an open field with no cover. By all means, hes an idiot. Shoot him.

But what about defence? Ok maybe thats ok to snipe..... maybe. But if your outside finding the sundy, relaying troop movements and using that SMG to pick them off, your way better than the few you snipe.

TL/DR: Infiltrators running around are harbengers of chaos. Attacking from behind, causing them to shoot themselves and their focus off of the main force. You also turn their assets to yours.

Weynard likes this

IMO and infiltrator should be used to disrupt the enemy. Not take pop shots from afar. By using and SMG and running into a base before the main force, hacking turrets,terms and generators your are limiting the enemy movements and defense WAY more than the few shots it took to take down a heavy. Also after you put 1 round into him, he knows where you are and puts just 1 bullet into you and you relocate. Happens everytime I see a sniper. The infantry advance continues.

Although If hes running in an open field with no cover. By all means, hes an idiot. Shoot him.

But what about defence? Ok maybe thats ok to snipe..... maybe. But if your outside finding the sundy, relaying troop movements and using that SMG to pick them off, your way better than the few you snipe.

Quality post. Proper infiltrator behaviour.

I have to disagree. I think there's a time and place for everything, even sniping as an Infiltrator. But it needs to be highly organised, no picking off random targets and sitting in one spot. Take BaconDaz for example. He was playing Inf last night and I called on him to follow me to a good vantage point, as they were dropping guys down with a spawn beacon. Instead of moving in on the enemies clustered around the beacon right away, I got him to snipe out the guys who were landing and contributing to the assualt. Now, as you know, you can only use a spawn beacon once every five minutes or so, right? Even if that guy gets revived, he ain't coming down in that beacon again. Plus, we were on their flank, so Bacon had plenty of juicy, stationary heads to pop. The end result was that we swept forward and scattered their assualt, beginning one of our own. Bacon was keeping enemy snipers down, and though he got popped himself a couple times, I was on hand to revive him.

I'd call that more than serviceable. Now if you don't mind, imagine that sort of momentary confusion and disarray being sown by two or three snipers...right before a tank column moves in with Engineers. That thought scares me!

LUS Montplaisir likes this

I have to disagree. I think there's a time and place for everything, even sniping as an Infiltrator. But it needs to be highly organised, no picking off random targets and sitting in one spot. Take BaconDaz for example. He was playing Inf last night and I called on him to follow me to a good vantage point, as they were dropping guys down with a spawn beacon. Instead of moving in on the enemies clustered around the beacon right away, I got him to snipe out the guys who were landing and contributing to the assualt. Now, as you know, you can only use a spawn beacon once every five minutes or so, right? Even if that guy gets revived, he ain't coming down in that beacon again. Plus, we were on their flank, so Bacon had plenty of juicy, stationary heads to pop. The end result was that we swept forward and scattered their assualt, beginning one of our own. Bacon was keeping enemy snipers down, and though he got popped himself a couple times, I was on hand to revive him.

I'd call that more than serviceable. Now if you don't mind, imagine that sort of momentary confusion and disarray being sown by two or three snipers...right before a tank column moves in with Engineers. That thought scares me!

I see the reasoning, but I will say that this is highly situational since you rarely get squad dropped in open terrain without other spawns nearby.

Oh it's definitely situational, but like I say, definitely a good occasion to bring up a sniper or two.

I do have a feeling that this guide includes a lot of "personal opinions" rather than objective point of views, but it's generally a good read.

I'll pitch in with my personal experience as a Vanu infiltrator.

I currently have three weapon sets: Long range / semiauto, Mid-Long Bolt-action, and short-mid Nyx with red-dot. I do not use SMGs.

As far as a "long range" kits goes, I believe them to be extremely useful in situations with:

• Small squads: I easily took small outposts with 2 soldiers and a sniper, shooting few to no bullets myself, just spotting & assessing threats VOIP. (Requires good team communication, but you DO play with friends, right?). In these situations, numeric advantage of the enemy gets cut down by the fact they're generally disorganized.
  • Maxes (Mostly taking out their engineer pally, so on-site squadmembers can chug lead down it easier)
  • Distant enemy spawns : Those "ten seconds" of yours can become quite a lot longer, expecially if you make them lose their flashes.
  • Other snipers (Duh)
  • Scaring the shit out of people: It may sound obvious, but people actually /does/ avoid areas they think snipers are targeting. Esamir and it's large fields comes to mind.
  • Primary targets. That is SO obvious, but well, a sunderer left a bit too much in the open (Hi engie, bye engie), guy repairing a turret / vehicle that's "tanking" damage, etc. etc.
  • Dealing damage, forcing the enemy to "be more careful", (e.g. stopping those rushers), by applying the "I ain't gonna run into a sniper" idea.

Of course, most of ^ is very useful if you're a squad leader attacking something that isn't a biolab / other place you can't keep eyes on. Consider that you have a LOT more help from overwatch telling in voip where the enemy is assemblying than the dot in the map that may or may not appear.

However, I have to admit, when I take part of large squads, am in a biolab or other cramped up place, and other similar situations, I use the Nyx.

It has a very high damage output (two bullets can take down almost anything, and if you catch a max from an angle it can't shoot you at / behind / fast enough, you can do enough damage for it to flee like a child, or even down it, as you have a 12 bullets magazine in). But overall, it resembles the "SMG tactics" you did already write about, which I extensively use.

Point of the post: Everything about infiltrators is useful AND situational. To maximize it's potential, you need squad-communication, and all your kit slots filled up with the playstyles you're most able to help out with.

If you're really an offensive player moving out and killing people, I'd recommend the lynx for the LA class, Lynx has the highest TTK because of its immense rate of fire. After getting it I boosted my average KD from .7 to 1.15.