• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Olly91

Any Game that can compete with the Total War series?

21 posts in this topic

Anyone know any good strategy games like total war? I don't know of any other good ones that can compete on terms of scale. Any ideas peeps?

Working ones? 

Joking aside no. Its one of the reason we keep buying them despite them always be broken at launch. I really wish they make a space game based on the formula though. Total war Space :)

Men of War  and the lotr strategy game are good one.Rome 1 total war will always be the best TW game tho.

Have you ever tried grand strategy games such as Crusader King, Europa Universalis, or Victoria? The scale is indeed massive, and they are a lot of fun if you can get past the learning curve.

zirus likes this

Well if you think TW series are hard, go and play Europa Universalis.

If you think this one is hard - check out Victoria II.

I they are both easy for you maybe try with closed eyes upside down, because there are no more challanges!!!

The Old Age of Empire games were really good, and AoE3 does add the 'Capital' Element....\

but your best bet would be getting a 4X space game, as those are probably closest to what you want....Sins of the Solar Empire comes to mind, one game I want to eventually find, because it seems to be VERY popular...

the Newer Star Wars RTS: Empire at War and it's sequel have a 4x-ish Galactic Conquest Mode, that combines the Turn based 'Game Bourd' with Real Time space and Land Battles, I don't think it's as expansive as Total War, but it's still good.'

The really frustrating part of this is that I know of a D#MN good Space 4x that I love dearly, and would love to recommend, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name!!!  

Civilization 5 or Age of Empires II HD edition.

Men of War  and the lotr strategy game are good one.Rome 1 total war will always be the best TW game tho.

Same here Men of war is a amazing game so much better than company of heroes

Command and Conquer Red Alert 2....or

Generals Zero Hour...amazing games

my favorite RTS games of all time

Have you ever tried grand strategy games such as Crusader King, Europa Universalis, or Victoria? The scale is indeed massive, and they are a lot of fun if you can get past the learning curve.

Great games. Also Civilization or King Arthur The Roleplaying Wargame.

I was disappointed that AoE got reskinned but not Empire Earth.

Rise of nations...

Sins of a solar empire..

Age of empires and empire earth.

All together though...you can't beat total war..

Anyone know any good strategy games like total war? I don't know of any other good ones that can compete on terms of scale. Any ideas peeps?

I feel for you mate, i've been trying to find something similar. The problem is the Total War series is the best of its type on the market. The mix of campaign map game play and the ability to fight on a battlefield is unrivaled. 

The other strategy games on the market tend to focus on one or the other and do each well. The company of heroes series is fantastic for battlefield strategy, as are many of the Warhammer 40k games.

Games like King Arthur try to emulate the Total War series, which is good but its not of the same standard. If your looking for something that works in a similar way to the Total War series, try this game. 

Crusader Kings and Europa are excellent strategy games but they're extremely in-depth, far more than the Total War series. This puts so many people off but its worth it if you have enough patience for it. 

Like company of heroes, the Command & Conquer games are also very rewarding strategy games focused on the battlefield. Sadly there's essentially no grand scale strategy involved. 

Personally I'd recommend trying the Civilization series of which the latest is Civilization V (5). Its a pretty unique take on strategy and conquest and it's extremely addictive. Plus there's plenty of DLC to keep you entertained. 

Hope this helps

Thanks everyone I've definitely got some ideas of a few to try, I did always love the Age of Empires games them and others are probably what got me into strategy games. 

I've got rise of Nations haven't played it in a while I've heard it has problems with windows 7 though.....

I think ill try Sins of the Solar Empire and I've never played Civ. but I think Civ. 5 will be worth giving a go cheers.

You gota love the old command & conquers and red alerts, brilliant games. I tried King Arthur one and two; there good but something just wasn't the same, didn't feel fluid enough if that makes sense.

Also will dig out my crusader kings and give it a go, will it work on Win. 7? so many of my old games don't.

O ye I've played Victoria, it is really in depth its good but I do find myself missing the combat and command of battle

Cheers everyone again

If you end up trying Crusader Kings, you certainly want to skip the first and go straight to Crusader Kings 2, which does work just fine with Windows 7.

Olly91 and zirus like this

Creative assambly sucked really bad with rome 2  :wacko:  i was so hyped about it that it hurts

but then came a light of hope

---------"MOUNT AND BLADE WARBAND" and "CRUSADER KINGS 2" from PARADOX-----------

this guys are my only hope now cause CA just went to the dark side as another greedy corporate liar until they prove me otherwise

i like the ways of CD Projekt RED thats how developers should treat their customers 

Sins of a Solar Empire comes to my mind but its all about space battles (awesome ones i might add)

best played with friends to create massive battles tho

i personally did 3v2 with my bestfriend, we were up against 3 Brutal AI, took us about 8 hours to push them out of our system and head into their own and destroy them :3

at one point, there was all our fleets at a single planet, that was HUGE, like 1000 ships shooting at each other that shit was MASSIVE

see what i mean by MASSIVE

also this was just a 2-player fullscale skirmish, now imagine this with 6 additional players fullscale fleets  -_-  B)

Olly91 likes this