• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UnholyFireDragon

Why I find Minecraft boring

7 posts in this topic

Before you automatically start hating on me for ever thinking/feeling that way about the game, I'd like to say that I did enjoy some of the aspects of the game. In survival mode, it's fun at the beginning, because you have the end-goal of surviving, which then leads you to making various farms, shelters, storage units and so on. I even liked defeating the ender dragon when I finally found him. Although, after doing all that stuff, I didn't find any point of doing anything.

Even though I'm generally not into PVP, I did try lots of different kinds of servers with their own unique play style (PVP, survival, islands, guilds, towns, mini-games, twilight forest, etc.). I was able to hold my interest, and enjoy, the game during the relatively "short" times that I was in survival mode (whether modded or not), progressing towards the end goal of "survival maintenance". I'd build all kinds of different practical things every time I found a new place, but then I would completely lose interest after I'm "set for life" in the game.

Generally, I need practical goals to a rewarding end; and it has to be an actual reward, even if it's something like a rank or achievement title (although, practical rewards are best). Doing something, in itself, should not be it's own reward in my opinion. In creative mode of the game, and after the whole "survival maintenance" situation in survival mode, there's no point of me doing anything, beyond just showing-off some visually-appealing creations.

Mini-games have a certain short-lived charm, but the game's PVP (exploited greatly in "hunger games" servers) generally sucks. The PVP is usually based on luck, since you basically open random chests to get whatever's inside and hope that the items can help you survive through the massacre. Even when you're equal to your opponent, it all comes down to spamming the same key, hoping that you've hit the guy more than you've been hit, based at least partially on server responses and delays/lag. There are way better well-known PVP games out there that you can enjoy for free.

Honestly, I totally "get" the charm of Minecraft overall. To put it simply, it's a virtual and more modern version of building block toys (e.g. Lego's)., where you can potentially build anything to your heart's desires. I've seen great videos and photos of people's creations online. Things can get pretty impressive. But that's pretty-much where it ends for me. If you so happen to adore Minecraft, then by all means, go ahead and spend endless hours trying to build an entire living planet; and go ahead and upload that stuff to YouTube or whatever. Meanwhile, I'm gonna stick with games that revolve around specific goals (at least for the most part).

I see what you're saying, but have you even tried any of the mods out? It adds a lot more fun to and already pretty fun (in my opinion) game.

AtanasTS likes this

I did try various mods; and I even used some of the downloadable resource packs from the web. I remember, on at least one server, staring at hundreds, or maybe thousands, of items that I could collect and/or make. It looked impressive, but it still didn't bring much enjoyment to me, since I'd still run into the same issue in the end. I just can't get into the game all that much.

I personally enjoy games that seemingly have no end, such as minecraft.  Playing in a sandbox where I can build something and use it and continue to use it just makes my day.  Im not a HUGE minecraft fan, I dont even really play it much anymore but I think there needs to be more open world sandbox games where you can build your own world like in minecraft.  On kind of an unrelated note thats why I suck playing competitively in turn-based strategies, I like to milk the game for as long as possible and if I was playing Civilization 5 or Endless Space Id build the greatest Empire I could.  That doesn't work if your not playing against the AI though....  

We all have different taste in games, just because a game is popular, doesn't ensure everyone will like it, I liked minecraft at first, but I stopped playing after awhile, I can understand why someone wouldn't get into it.

I believe there is also something to be said for being able to establish personal goals. Like you, I enjoy practicality and working for something visual and tangible  For instance, battlefield 4 unlocks are very compelling for me, and I may find myself playing longer than I normally would in order to obtain or pass these set goals. With minecraft and other similar games, the player is required to set their own goals, which can be difficult for some.

When I get into minecraft, I am always big on being practical with the most extreme difficulty settings possible. This adds an element to the game which focuses your entertainment. I now have a goal, survive. From there on I need to make more goals: build a shelter, expand it, dig for iron, expand more, add walls, add towers, defend from invading foes from below, etc etc etc.

What this does mean that when I play minecraft, I play it for short extreme periods, as the gameplay eventually wears off. But perhaps there is something to be said about that, the idea that when I play minecraft, I do it out of a genuine desire to play it, rather an an artificial goal as presented in Battlefield. I like both games, and enjoy both immensely, but they attract different desires and I appreciate being able to play both.

I definitely see what you're saying, and to each their own I'll admit. I honestly don't even know why I love Minecraft so much. It is easily my favourite game off all time, simply because I can never get bored of it. If I do happen to get bored, I just install a brand new mod pack, or find a new type of server to join. I generally play Minecraft in spurts, like most games I play, little 2 month periods. But most games I'll do that spurt, and may never play for a year or so. Not so much with Minecraft.

It's not even the survival I like so much. I don't even have a survival world to be proud of right now, and I think the only time I really did was like 3 years ago when I first got the game. Playing multiplayer, in general and with friends, is always tons of fun as well. I think also just the endless possibilites with Minecraft and with mods. You could be playing on anything from a PvP focus to a hardcore survival, where anarchy ensues. Or you could just chill back with some friends on a town server. There's really nothing you can't do, and I love that about it.