• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

INSULIN_ADDICT

Should I get the PS4 at launch or sometime next year? (UK)

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! Just joined the AngryArmy and couldn't be happier! Now, I have a question regarding the Playstation 4... Should I get it at launch? or sometime next year? Just in case some of you are confused I am currently residing in the UK and it isn't launched here until November 29th.

I've been looking forward to getting the PS4 since it was announced because it was cheaper than everyone and myself expected and the launch titles were looking good. However, recently the folks over in USA who have the PS4's right now are reporting MAJOR problems and issues regarding the PS4's hardware and that the launch title exclusives weren't that good. So regarding these 'hiccups' would it be recommended to hold out until better exclusives are released and the hardware problems are resolved? Are these problems only affecting certain consoles? And Is spending £349 on a console worth it just to play one or two games that are being released at a cheaper priceon the PS3 too? (AC4: Black Flag and NFS: Rivals) These are questions that have gotten me REALLY worried, especially with the UK launch being next week! So to all of you who have a PS4 currently in their possession, is it worth getting at launch? or should I just wait for a price reduction or a bundle pack to be released? The Infamous Second Son (Limited Edition) PS4 Bundle Pack being released in March interests me...

So what should it be? Any response would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

P.S. Sorry, I babble... A LOT. 

I never get a new console at launch. I always wait at least a few months, even longer if there are no launch titles I just have to play. By the time I get it, all of the hardware and software kinks are usually worked out.

This is coming from a primarily PC gamer though, so I only get consoles for the exclusives. If you use them for all of your gaming then that's different as there are more games you'll likely play on them.

I got my PS4 on launch night here in Canada.  While I've been hearing a lot about problems with the system I have not had a single one (yet, fingers crossed), nor have I heard of anyone I know personally having any problems.  So, I wouldn't worry too much about the hearsay about problems.  

Anyway, now onto the games.  Killzone is an OK launch title, the single story isn't very good in my opinion however the multiplayer is a BLAST.  I love it and am really surprised by how much fun I'm having on it.  Battlefield 4 is amazing...when it works...which it isn't very well right now.  EA and DICE promised to have it fixed by next week but who knows.  I've been able to play on multiplayer a bit and it looks amazing and is a lot of fun.  FIFA 14 is much improved from the last gen version, with the gameplay being more fluid, the stadiums are more alive and the presentation is more realistic.  There is a slight graphical improvement, mainly noticeable in the players kits and the crowd in the stadiums.  

I'm hopefully picking up NBA 2k14 this week and AC IV sometime next week.  PM me if you like and I can let you know how they are when I get them.

My honest opinion is, I'm really glad I got the PS4 at launch.  It's a great console, the UI is smooth, fast and simple.  The free to play games of Blacklight and Warframe are high quality and the share function is really good (I never thought I'd use it as much as I am!).  At the end of the day though, it's up to you whether you wait or get one straight away!

INSULIN_ADDICT and Shagger like this

Hi and welcome.

There's a number of similar threads about this, but I'll give my thoughts. I am getting the PS4 at launch (U'm from the UK to) mostly because I already have PS+ and by spring most of the titles I want from the first year will be out. I think that the hardware issues experienced by the US market have been greatly exaggerated by fanboys and trolls and not that out of the ordinary for a new launch of a piece of hardware like this. I have to commend you for actually taking the time to find out first hand from people what there experience has been like, that's kinda why I'm here to. If the games you're really interested in don't come out 'till next year, I would wait, but it's down to you.

I'm getting on Euro launch but to be honest if you have not already or ordered you properly won't get one, as far as I know all launch orders are sold out and most for Christmas are running oit. If u can personally I would get it.

I never get a new console at launch. I always wait at least a few months, even longer if there are no launch titles I just have to play. By the time I get it, all of the hardware and software kinks are usually worked out.

This is coming from a primarily PC gamer though, so I only get consoles for the exclusives. If you use them for all of your gaming then that's different as there are more games you'll likely play on them.

Thanks for the reply. I mean I would like to get the PS4 but the launch titles don't appeal to me what-so-ever. The only game I really want alongside the PS4 is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and that's being released on the PS3 £10 cheaper than than the PS4 version. So I mean paying £349 for the console and having non-exclusive titles to play on it feels like a waste of money. I was looking forward to getting a PS4 exclusive title like Killzone: Shadow Fall with just to give me a taste of what the system can fully offer. However it's been clouded in mixed reviews so It's left me a little worried and confused to wether I should get the console NOW, or later. Also a final note, if I do get AC4 on PS3 then what does the PS4 offer me besides not so good exclusives? Hopefully I'll come to a clear decision in the next few days. Thanks again! 

Hi and welcome.

There's a number of similar threads about this, but I'll give my thoughts. I am getting the PS4 at launch (U'm from the UK to) mostly because I already have PS+ and by spring most of the titles I want from the first year will be out. I think that the hardware issues experienced by the US market have been greatly exaggerated by fanboys and trolls and not that out of the ordinary for a new launch of a piece of hardware like this. I have to commend you for actually taking the time to find out first hand from people what there experience has been like, that's kinda why I'm here to. If the games you're really interested in don't come out 'till next year, I would wait, but it's down to you.

Thanks for the response. It's a difficult coming to a clear and concise decision regarding the PS4. I agree with the fact that the hardware reports are greatly exaggerated by fanboys looking for a reason to doom the PS4. I may wait until the Infamous: Second Son Bundle is released next year by then maybe Sony can release some good titles to lure me in! It doesn't help that most of my buddies are getting a PS4 either but I'm not one to give into peer pressure! So I'll be keeping my eye on upcoming reviews both on this forum and on youtube to help me come to a decision in the next few days. Thanks again for the reply! 

I got my PS4 on launch night here in Canada.  While I've been hearing a lot about problems with the system I have not had a single one (yet, fingers crossed), nor have I heard of anyone I know personally having any problems.  So, I wouldn't worry too much about the hearsay about problems.  

Anyway, now onto the games.  Killzone is an OK launch title, the single story isn't very good in my opinion however the multiplayer is a BLAST.  I love it and am really surprised by how much fun I'm having on it.  Battlefield 4 is amazing...when it works...which it isn't very well right now.  EA and DICE promised to have it fixed by next week but who knows.  I've been able to play on multiplayer a bit and it looks amazing and is a lot of fun.  FIFA 14 is much improved from the last gen version, with the gameplay being more fluid, the stadiums are more alive and the presentation is more realistic.  There is a slight graphical improvement, mainly noticeable in the players kits and the crowd in the stadiums.  

I'm hopefully picking up NBA 2k14 this week and AC IV sometime next week.  PM me if you like and I can let you know how they are when I get them.

My honest opinion is, I'm really glad I got the PS4 at launch.  It's a great console, the UI is smooth, fast and simple.  The free to play games of Blacklight and Warframe are high quality and the share function is really good (I never thought I'd use it as much as I am!).  At the end of the day though, it's up to you whether you wait or get one straight away!

Finally glad to hear a review from a fellow gamer! Thank you for the response, it has certainly swayed my opinion of the console and it's exclusives. Also your opinion on AC4 Black Flag would be very much appreciated, thanks again! :)

One thing that one should always keep in mind is that maybe only 1 in 20 who don't have an issue with a console at launch will report that  "Hey everyone!!  This thing is awesome! You should totally buy this!!!".  EVERYONE who does will immediately jump on the hate wagon saying "Fuck the the PS4!! It's DOA broken piece of shit!! nobody buy it!! Fuck Sony for ripping us all off."  If you'r looking to buy a next gen console the fact is the PS4 is more powerful, cheaper to buy and most importantly PS+ gives you genuine value unlike XBox live Gold which rapes your wallet for even the simplest of things, I actually made whole rant about it.

(http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/7961-who-else-thinks-the-xbox-live-gold-paywall-is-bs-angry-rant/#entry80571)

When It comes to whether you should get one now I've always felt that sooner is better than later because you will get a broader scope of the experience, and better gaming as a result.  Although getting a PS4 at launch in the UK will probably be very difficult now,  you'll likely have to queue for hours in the freezing cold and even then you still might not get one unless you've pre-ordered.  But at the end of the day It's up to you , and best of luck.

Yeah I think it would be better to get one now. The games are good, fun, and some even addicting. However they aren't anywhere near like The Last Of Us but they are still good games. Also the problems that people have been reporting are just on 1% of the total consoles sold so the chances of getting a bad PS4 are pretty low. Also all the goodies you get from the Playstation Plus are amazing and the games they have available right now are pretty fun. Contrast is a little heavier but Resogun is a fun and addicting arcade shooter. The value of the PS4 will go up with time so it's better to get one early so you don't miss out on anything ^_^

Just reading all of this post, and I think I will stick to my original plan, so just to share my thoughts.

I plan to buy PS4 mid February 2014

I have PS3, and still at least few more games I didn't manage to play on PS3. Together with PC games, I don't think I will miss much in 2,3 months.

But my whole decision is made on the fact, that PS3 is still giving me more than I want, and as long I don't have the feel that PS3 is going out of commission i will not go to PS4 full force.

Enjoy.

American here:

I got my PS4 on launch hour, had it set up and running within the hour of arriving home. Whatever bugs they're having, Sony is working hard to fix as I've already had 2 software updates in the past week. The PS4 is an amazing system, I feel like they did a lot to upgrade the PS3, but at times it does feel the same. 

In my personal opinion you should take a look not at the console, but at the games. Is there anything you see that really trips your interest? If there's only 1 or 2 games that really interest you, then I suggest waiting. In all honesty, if you can wait 2-3 months for the hype to settle down, not only will you have a console with little risk of fail, but you'll also have games that have been patched, as well as returned by people who didn't want them and could be lowered in price.

As far as games go I loved Killzone Shadow Fall, despite a few confusing details, the story didn't disappoint at all.