• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Crazycrab

Who else thinks the Xbox Live Gold Paywall is BS? Angry Rant!!

14 posts in this topic

I'll be honest here, the main reason I never bought an Xbox 360 at launch (or even to this day) was the fact that that you had to pay to play online.  As pissed of as am now that Sony are doing it to, PS+ does offer legitimate value and online multiplayer is pretty much the only thing locked behind that paywall so I'm prepared to forgive.  But for Xbox One It's damn near EVERYTHING!  Why the hell should I have to pay Microsoft to use a third party subscription service like Neflix?  Why should I have to pay to use free social services like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Skype and so on.  Why the FUCK do I need XBL Gold to use DVR!!!!  Which is not an online function at all!!!

YOU FUCKING DON'T!!!  This is BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

My brother (who posts here under Shagger) was talking to me about getting an Xbox one down the line but unless they put this stuff in front of the paywall, which they of course won't I'm not and will never be interested.  Now I don't mean to offend or in any other way insult anyone who is buying the system I hope you have an excellent experience I really do, but what Microsoft are doing with this paywall is wrong.  

I've never understood it either. As you say, online play is fair enough, but requiring gold for for third party subscriptions and such is nonsense. And I swear On the 360 there were several arcade/indie games I purchased that required Live, even when I only wanted to play it offline. 

I do feel it wont affect huge amounts of people given a lot of owners will use Gold regardless, but for those who cannot afford Live it is pretty lame. Almost charging for users to use services that do not belong to Microsoft. Though I imagine it was either play ball or not have your service on the machine, and thus a smaller audience for the companies.

Freyja likes this

Totally agree with you.  I have a PS4, but I will get an Xbox One down the line.  I will be a Gold member so I would be paying anyway but I have no idea why MS used that bs pay wall.  It's such a bad policy and it probably turns a lot of people off the console.

I was upset but that changed and i'm looking forward to XBL Gold

1)MS announced  "

Games With Gold coming to Xbox One in 2014"

2)dedicated servers

3)the whole  party/match making features

4)discounts on games and other stuff on the market place

5)early demos

I'm sure MS will add more features to the service as time goes on 

That paygate is what is stopping me getting the console. Simple as that.

I completely agree. I was pissed off enough when those MAJOR BS policies were put up, but this is pouring salt on old wounds. Its bad enough we have to pay for PS now, but charging for everything is ludicrously unnecessary. Why do you have to pay for youtube when I can just as easily pull out my phone and watch it there? Of course, it's nice having a big screen to watch on, but charging money for it is horrible. Why Microsoft, why? We should rally together like the xbox one policies, and stop this stingy, penny-pinching paywall. 

This is what kills me about the whole "gold" thing. It's not premium if you have to pay monthly for features that should come included. I can understand paying for online multiplayer as the servers and whatnot required for that costs money to maintain, but that's about where I draw the line. Paying for the privilege to use a service we already shell out money for (internet access) is BS.

Freyja likes this

Honestly, I never really cared while i was a 360 player. (Recently switched to PC now that I could build a good PC). Everyone that I knew gripped about having to pay 60 dollars for 13 months which I agree can be considered extreme. However, I never ever ever ever payed 60 dollars except for the first year. Im not sure how it works with xbox one but if it goes the same as for the 360 there are tons of xbox live sales where you can pick up 13 months for 30-45 dollars a pop and sometimes even less. But as being as impartial as I can be since i played 360 for so long, i would occassionally go to a friends house who had a ps3 and we'd fuck around and what not but I could not stand their interface and the lack of openess in the online. Since those repeated experiences I have always thought Gold was a much better experience than the free online of ps3. I make no judgements on the state of the ps4 online nor the xbox one online as I have neither but I will probably end up getting an xbox one down the line some where.

I agree with you my friend this really sucks,i like xbox but that is bullshit i really want to play KI but this console is making that impossible

I agree. The Xbox LIVE Gold paywall bothers the hell outta me too.

They don't have to put those services behind the paywall, but they've done it anyway. It's just costing everyone more money then it should. Paying for online multiplayer is one thing but making people pay for internet browser, Netflix and what not when you're already paying for it is stupid.

Well, When I first brought a Xbox360 Elite, I stayed with Silver for about a year, then when Resident Evil 5 came out, I decided that I should try multiplayer, and I brought a Gold account...And I'm still going good.

I think when you get an Xbox One, all you need to do is load your account, and the Gold pass should work for both the 360 and the One...or do you need two accounts?

Well, When I first brought a Xbox360 Elite, I stayed with Silver for about a year, then when Resident Evil 5 came out, I decided that I should try multiplayer, and I brought a Gold account...And I'm still going good.

I think when you get an Xbox One, all you need to do is load your account, and the Gold pass should work for both the 360 and the One...or do you need two accounts

Well you bought an elite which was already a mistake since the only significant difference between that and the premium was the price, but yes the Gold account that's been raping your wallet for the past couple of years will carry over to XBox One.

Well you bought an elite which was already a mistake since the only significant difference between that and the premium was the price, but yes the Gold account that's been raping your wallet for the past couple of years will carry over to XBox One.

It's not rape if you want it.