• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

TheComedian

PC Build Help

25 posts in this topic

I have been saving money for 3 years now and I don't want it to be in vain. SO please ignore this if you're annoyed by people begging for help. I just trust the kind members of the AJSA in helping me make sure I have no regrets when I invest in this.

Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8)

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" SSD

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card

Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Monitor(s): Two Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (Im getting 2 of these)

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse 

Speakers: Genius SP-S110 1W 2ch Speakers 

Other: SteelSeries QcK mass Gaming Mouse Pad

Total: $1815.41

Heya! That's a really nice build! Everything looks looks good and your case selection is great! The only thing I'd point out is your cooler. Since you'll be sporting the 4770k I'm assuming you intend on overclocking it. You might want to double check if your Hyper 212 can deal with the excess heat output, depending on how far you want to push it.. (haswells can get hot!)  ;)

Also, do you intend to run everything from your SSD or did you plan to include a HD?

Not bad at all. I would suggest though that

A:16GB ram is overkill unless your planning to edit a movie will during intensive photo editing. 8 should be plenty, use the saved money to look into better quality RAM that runs faster rather than a large size of it

B: 120GB SSD is nice but its this awkward size of too big just for the OS but to small for, really anything else. At the very least get a big old disk drive in there to install all your games and vids on. SSD's make bugger all difference when it comes to gaming.

C: I personally recommend cheap keyboards. I mean like basic logitech. This is generally because if your anything like me you will spill coffee, superglue, crumbs, tobbacco and general hand grease all over them. You can clean the surface but there comes a time when you can either pull all the damn keys off and deep clean the thing or just buy a new one.

D: for the love of god, through a good headset in there at least. Sound is the most overlooked component of people building PC's and it can really make a difference.

E:you sure about 2 monitors? Have you done multiple monitors before?

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO you don't need this or the Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g.

You don't need two 8GB of RAM, you only need the one or have 12GB max 

The Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" SSD is the more for laptops you right also it over price for memory, Two Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor you only for when got use two screens but you only need the one.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard  is a later buy for now you need for used and the same for Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse.

also get a good headset for gaming.

That looks pretty good yeah, I'm not entirely sure on the CPU but I've been using AMD since the phenom II so I can't really pick a better model, with the kind of money you're spending you might want to get a 4.0 CPU, but it's really not that much difference and probably won't be noticed for a long while to come.

A:16GB ram is overkill unless your planning to edit a movie will during intensive photo editing. 8 should be plenty, use the saved money to look into better quality RAM that runs faster rather than a large size of it

It's overkill now but it won't be in a few years.

Speaking of Ram if you still haven't bought it all you might wanna keep this article in mind. 

http://www.destructoid.com/crucial-announce-that-ddr4-ram-is-coming-out-soon-265894.phtml

Some new stuff is coming probably this next year that will dwarf current RAM so waiting to get a mobo that supports it and a bit less of ram(cause it's going to be expensive at first) might be a good move.

It's overkill now but it won't be in a few years.

Problem is when 16gb is something that is needed in over a few years the technology will have progress to the point of being far better off getting a new machine. Large size RAM as 'Future proofing' is a complete fallacy for a gamer.

DDR3 has been around for a long time now, I've had 8 since the norm was 4 and don't regret it. We're in the middle of a "generation" transition and already some games are citing 8 as "recommended" spec, Star Citizen mentioned 8 as the minimum ram requirements might spike quite a bit in the next few years. Also it hasn't been expensive like the old days for a while, if I had a big budget right now for a computer I'd wait for DDR4 though.

Heya! That's a really nice build! Everything looks looks good and your case selection is great! The only thing I'd point out is your cooler. Since you'll be sporting the 4770k I'm assuming you intend on overclocking it. You might want to double check if your Hyper 212 can deal with the excess heat output, depending on how far you want to push it.. (haswells can get hot!)  ;)

Also, do you intend to run everything from your SSD or did you plan to include a HD?

Im adding an extra 2 TB Hard 72000RPM Hard Disk that I will use to store the games.

Not bad at all. I would suggest though that

B: 120GB SSD is nice but its this awkward size of too big just for the OS but to small for, really anything else. At the very least get a big old disk drive in there to install all your games and vids on. SSD's make bugger all difference when it comes to gaming.

C: I personally recommend cheap keyboards. I mean like basic logitech. This is generally because if your anything like me you will spill coffee, superglue, crumbs, tobbacco and general hand grease all over them. You can clean the surface but there comes a time when you can either pull all the damn keys off and deep clean the thing or just buy a new one.

D: for the love of god, through a good headset in there at least. Sound is the most overlooked component of people building PC's and it can really make a difference.

E:you sure about 2 monitors? Have you done multiple monitors before?

A: I am a LiveStreamer as well so RAM for multitasking-tasking would be great, any recommendations on better RAM Sticks?

B: I am going to put my app programs on the SSD (TeamSpeak, Skype, and Such) and put my games in there own Seperate Hard Disk.

C: I just have a weird thing for Blue and my Guilty Pleasure for Razer may bite me but its worth it imo.

D: I am using the crappy speakers due to the fact I hate wearing my headphones and only use the speakers for YouTube and such. I may throw in Corsair Vengeance 2000

E: I play lots of RTS so I use the second Monitor to watch Youtube and do other things while playing (I hate Alt-Tabing)  

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO you don't need this or the Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g.
You don't need two 8GB of RAM, you only need the one or have 12GB max 
The Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" SSD is the more for laptops you right also it over price for memory, Two Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor you only for when got use two screens but you only need the one.
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard  is a later buy for now you need for used and the same for Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse.
also get a good headset for gaming.

I am going to overclock and from what I have read its going to get hot so I would rather have it be too cool then over heating. I live Stream so that cheap 16 will come in handy. From the time of this post they lowered the price of the 240 EVO Samsung so im probably going move it to that for the same price. I need the Two Monitors to help manage streaming without Alt-Tabing every 5 minutes plus when I play RTS I usually am watching a video on the other size. I have a Keyboard from 2003, I think I am just indulging myself a bit but still I love those Blues.

Update on the Build:

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($89.99) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99)
Headphones: Corsair Vengeance 2000 7.1 Channel Headset  ($154.50) 
Total: $2080.05

I have been saving money for 3 years now and I don't want it to be in vain. SO please ignore this if you're annoyed by people begging for help. I just trust the kind members of the AJSA in helping me make sure I have no regrets when I invest in this.

Parts:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor(s): Two Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (Im getting 2 of these)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse 
Speakers: Genius SP-S110 1W 2ch Speakers 
Other: SteelSeries QcK mass Gaming Mouse Pad
Total: $1815.41

One thing to keep in mind is to future-proof your PC so you would have to replace parts or the whole thing so often. Invest more now to save future dollars.

1. I would go with the 3rd gen 3770k because they overclock better than the 4 gen counterparts.

2. For the price, you should spend a couple extra dollars if you're set on air cooling and get the Noctua D14.

3. You're going to get a different opinion from every other person about GFX cards, but if you're going to spend the money on a 770, I would allocate a little more and either get a 780 (ti ideally) or 2 670 or 680 cards, which will still outperform a 780ti, though a single card setup is still preferred to SLI.

4. Consider getting a PSU around the 1000w mark so in case you decide to upgrade or go SLI (even if you stick with a 770) you aren't constrained by power and forced to either upgrade the PSU or do without the card.

5. I would strongly recommend reconsidering the Razr keyboard. There is a reason those things are always on a refurb sale. They aren't the most reliable, and the aren't that great to begin with aside from reliability. Logitech or Saitek are always good choices, IMO. There have also been a lot of new mechanical based brands introduced lately that I don't have much experience with, but I've heard good things from reliable sources.

6. I don't know your gaming habits, but the monitors don't strike me as gaming monitors. They have suboptimal response times (I personally use nothing more than 3ms, and I can tell a noticeable difference between the 1ms on my Asus VE248QE and my Benq's 4ms.) Also, the monitor doesn't offer a higher refresh rate or resolution. I would suggest investing in one good monitor rather than 2 rather generic screens.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck.

6. I don't know your gaming habits, but the monitors don't strike me as gaming monitors. They have suboptimal response times (I personally use nothing more than 3ms, and I can tell a noticeable difference between the 1ms on my Asus VE248QE and my Benq's 4ms.) Also, the monitor doesn't offer a higher refresh rate or resolution. I would suggest investing in one good monitor rather than 2 rather generic screens.

Maybe he prefers monitors that have better color reproduction of an IPS panel than the framerates of the TN panel.

Maybe he prefers monitors that have better color reproduction of an IPS panel than the framerates of the TN panel.

Yes, but like I said, what he chose is still very generic. If you prefer color, you would be better suited with a higher resolution IPS monitor.

But I could still be off and you prefer a smaller monitor, in which case what you have selected is pretty good.

But I could still be off and you prefer a smaller monitor, in which case what you have selected is pretty good.

Yes, but like I said, what he chose is still very generic. If you prefer color, you would be better suited with a higher resolution IPS monitor.

This is going to be a Streaming/Gaming Rig and right now my budget is at $2000-2100 max. 

This is going to be a Streaming/Gaming Rig and right now my budget is at $2000-2100 max. 

But that still doesn't tell us of your preference. Do you prefer smaller monitors over the 23"-27" categories? If so, then go for it. If not, I would reconsider your choice and take into account the types of games you play and your preferences, my reasoning listed above. If you like FPS games, especially the faster paced ones, I would considered a monitor/monitors that allowed for higher frames per second and a smaller response rate. At the moment though, those monitors will force you to sacrifices some visual quality because TN panels are not as pretty as IPS panels. Don't get me wrong, they aren't terrible. I've tweaked the settings on my gaming monitor so it's really not bad at all.

Rainversey likes this

Update 2:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($124.98 @ OutletPC) 

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 

Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Microcenter) 

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($132.98 @ OutletPC) 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($266.99 @ Amazon) 

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 

Speakers: Genius SP-S110 1W 2ch Speakers  ($8.98 @ OutletPC) 

Headphones: Corsair Vengeance 2000 7.1 Channel Headset  ($159.99 @ Mwave) 

Total: $2023.81

But that still doesn't tell us of your preference. Do you prefer smaller monitors over the 23"-27" categories? If so, then go for it. If not, I would reconsider your choice and take into account the types of games you play and your preferences, my reasoning listed above. If you like FPS games, especially the faster paced ones, I would considered a monitor/monitors that allowed for higher frames per second and a smaller response rate. At the moment though, those monitors will force you to sacrifices some visual quality because TN panels are not as pretty as IPS panels. Don't get me wrong, they aren't terrible. I've tweaked the settings on my gaming monitor so it's really not bad at all.

Basically what you're saying is that the difference between those monitors in terms of colors is negligible? 

Basically what you're saying is that the difference between those monitors in terms of colors is negligible? 

Between which monitors do you mean? If you're talking about between an IPS and a TN panels in general, there is most definitely a noticeable difference, and I honestly would not call it negligible, but like I said, it all comes down to preference and what you're willing to sacrifice. Sadly, there are no godly monitors with all of the specs combined yet so you will have to make some sacrifice one way or the other, though to what magnitude depends on how much you're willing to spend. To me, the color on my Asus 248QE isn't bad at all for gaming. But the image on my friend's Dell Ultrasharp 2412s is a lot prettier. My problem with his is that you can feel the difference in the input latency when switching between the two - my screen feels more responsive and you can really see the frame rate boost.

Between which monitors do you mean? If you're talking about between an IPS and a TN panels in general, there is most definitely a noticeable difference, and I honestly would not call it negligible, but like I said, it all comes down to preference and what you're willing to sacrifice. Sadly, there are no godly monitors with all of the specs combined yet so you will have to make some sacrifice one way or the other, though to what magnitude depends on how much you're willing to spend. To me, the color on my Asus 248QE isn't bad at all for gaming. But the image on my friend's Dell Ultrasharp 2412s is a lot prettier. My problem with his is that you can feel the difference in the input latency when switching between the two - my screen feels more responsive and you can really see the frame rate boost.

I still don't see how it can be such a vastly difference, but I'd personally go with responsiveness over color sharpness.

To feel that you aren't responding fast enough because sluggish monitor would not be a pleasant thing.

I still don't see how it can be such a vastly difference, but I'd personally go with responsiveness over color sharpness.

To feel that you aren't responding fast enough because sluggish monitor would not be a pleasant thing.

Well, I wouldn't say that it feels like you aren't responding fast enough, but I will say if you try them side by side for a bit, you can definitely see the difference. As to the color, if you live anywhere near something like a Fry's or a Microcenter (just someplace that has a good selection of good monitors) check out the color for yourself. To me, there is a great difference, and I don't think anyone will dispute that when you start getting into the higher resolutions (which currently don't offer a higher refresh/frame per second rate or mostly have greater lag.) They're a thing of beauty.

Well, I wouldn't say that it feels like you aren't responding fast enough, but I will say if you try them side by side for a bit, you can definitely see the difference. As to the color, if you live anywhere near something like a Fry's or a Microcenter (just someplace that has a good selection of good monitors) check out the color for yourself. To me, there is a great difference, and I don't think anyone will dispute that when you start getting into the higher resolutions (which currently don't offer a higher refresh/frame per second rate or mostly have greater lag.) They're a thing of beauty.

I see. I will remember this the next time it becomes crucial for me to upgrade my computer. Which is it but, lacking money :P