• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

markizazn

The Last of Us discussion (SPOILERS ALERT)

32 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I played and now i'm assuming some more people have gone around finishing it we can probably really discuss what people think about this game so i pose a few question. one of the first things is how did people feel about the ending in terms of were you satisfied and lasting impressions and secondly peoples thoughts and ideas on the possible and likely sequel?

I really want to hear other peoples thoughts because im kind of jaded how i feel about the ending of this game, so to answer my own question i mean, i liked the ending but it did leave with so many questions because of how it ended but after asking some people it left me with the idea that it will have a sequel because it this one set up story of joels adventure with ellie and it concluded with joel at the end becoming in some peoples eyes that bad guy so i mean naughty dog can do a lot with that and i think the sequel will focus more on ellie with joel being the side character this time around. so yeah thought?

UPDATE: i realised that we haven't really spoken about the new DLC which is a prelude that features Ellie and Riley, which i think is a really cool so i was wondering what people think it will be about and also the idea that because Ellie at this point has never held a gun, will there be any combat in it, will that affect the game overall and if it will be any good.

for me this looks like a good step for DLC, I mean it wasn't ish's story like I was hoping but this is still pretty good, from my understanding where playing Ellie again so im kind of excited to be in her shoes again, umm considering where it is in the timeline im guessing its completely story based and scripted to just kind of fill you in on the details so i don't think there will be hardly any real combat if any. I hope it links in really well and makes me just ball my eyes out again. what do you guys think?

LtntMcCoy likes this

I didn't feel Joel became a bad guy, but i do agree the end is a good cliffhanger for a sequel to be very interesting. The game itself was fantastic, I can barly think of anything wrong with it (I actually feel tempted to play though it again, you wet my whistle). Superb story, perfectly acted, great graphics, the action was fun and challenging and the game just had this hand made feel, such attention to detail and even the environments had their own story to tell. A fantastic game. The only thing I didn't like was the season pass. Charging £17 (I don't know what it was in dollars) to play online and it's only now, after a year, that were getting stoy based DLC. That's bullshit.

LtntMcCoy likes this

I liked the ending of the last of us.The ending was very open so there is definitely going to be a sequel.There was no need for multiplayer

in the last of us they should have spent more time on the story instead. 

Okay, so back in that other thread, I didn't mean to sound like I think there is no room for a sequel. I just think that Ellie and Joel's story is best left the way that it is. One of the best parts about the ending is that you get to wonder what will happen next for those two. I completely love the ending. It made the tone of the entire game much more sad, and it wasn't your usual "the two heros ride off into the sunset" ending. The game and story is just beautiful. They still lived, but is that what Ellie would have wanted? (You're left to wonder if it is or not, but you get the impression that it isn't. I do think to myself sometimes that if the fireflies would've just given Joel and Ellie a chance to talk, then things would've happened differently, and Joel possibly could've let Ellie go.) If they make a sequel (and they certainly have room in the universe for it) I wouldn't want it to be about those two. Like I said before, part of what made the first so good was that you get to wonder what will happen to them. Not every single story needs a sequel.

I can find the link later if you want me to, but I'm almost 100% positive Naughty Dog themselves stated that if they were to make a sequel in the series, it would not be about Ellie and Joel. There would be new characters, and the universe of TLOU is big enough for them to do something like that.

Reno27 and Jinzuro like this

Okay, so back in that other thread, I didn't mean to sound like I think there is no room for a sequel. I just think that Ellie and Joel's story is best left the way that it is. One of the best parts about the ending is that you get to wonder what will happen next for those two. I completely love the ending. It made the tone of the entire game much more sad, and it wasn't your usual "the two heros ride off into the sunset" ending. The game and story is just beautiful. They still lived, but is that what Ellie would have wanted? (You're left to wonder if it is or not, but you get the impression that it isn't. I do think to myself sometimes that if the fireflies would've just given Joel and Ellie a chance to talk, then things would've happened differently, and Joel possibly could've let Ellie go.) If they make a sequel (and they certainly have room in the universe for it) I wouldn't want it to be about those two. Like I said before, part of what made the first so good was that you get to wonder what will happen to them. Not every single story needs a sequel.

I can find the link later if you want me to, but I'm almost 100% positive Naughty Dog themselves stated that if they were to make a sequel in the series, it would not be about Ellie and Joel. There would be new characters, and the universe of TLOU is big enough for them to do something like that.

I would like to Ellie and Joels story continued in the sequel but since the biggest problem with the game is that it ended, I would say a new story with new chariters would still go down well.

I would like to Ellie and Joels story continued in the sequel but since the biggest problem with the game is that it ended, I would say a new story with new chariters would still go down well.

Lol! That's pretty funny. I've played through the game so many times by now. I want to try and get the really meaningful achievements. Like "I want to talk about it". I just... I love this game ;_; I'm gonna have to order the comics about it. I like Ellie a lot as a character too. I think it's because she's a kid living in a hellish world. In fact, I think I have a soft spot for kids in general depending on the context. Like in Dead Space 2, when you're walking through the day care. I just can't. That game didn't even bother (when i say bother, I just mean mentally disturb or scare.) me until kids were brought into it.

I get what your saying 100% about the ending, but in the case of the sequel I would still want them to have a presence even if it was small to tie into the sequel. I did mention my idea for that concerning you know the resistance coming after Ellie and Joel, though with a little change it wouldn't make sense they would take Joel as well more likely kill him then anything else if they found them. Now having Joel die would be something else, and them taking Ellie. This would bring about perhaps other characters that had become close to them both, such as Joel's brother. Perhaps he finds out about it or Joel and Ellie went to live where he is and the resistance not only killed Joel, but did some real damage on their home they've been working so hard on. So saving Ellie and getting his revenge on the resistance. I would like that. Thats just one possibility I've thought up. You don't see main character killed very often save for you failing them while you hold the controller, but killed as part of the story.

I think Ellie and Joel's story is over. ND has said quite a few times that they are done with their story and I'm fine with that, the cliffhanger like ending had it's own closure to it which I liked. Ultimately in the end I don't think Joel is a hero but neither a villain, he is just a guy trying to survive and have a reason to live and ultimately he has that reason in Ellie.

Honestly even though the Fireflies were looking for a cure I still see them as the villain. They oppose the government and are a terrorist group. What would happen if they managed to make the cure? Would they give it away to everyone willingly or use it for their own advances? We really don't know what their plans were after they got the cure, for all we knew they would sell the cure for a price and make people buy it, funding whatever means of funds they use in that time making them more powerful and eventually finding away to destroy the rest of the government that might still stand and propose their own form of government. Ultimately I enjoyed the ending we got, it wasn't the expected ending which is great in my eyes since I hate when a game is easy to figure out what is going to happen next, there were a lot of twists that I liked.

In the end though I think Ellie and Joel's story is over. I feel that eventually Ellie and Joel would make their way back to Joel's brother and live with him and that group seeing as it is safe for the most part and no worry about the government and they could start anew there.

From what it looks, everyone is expecting a sequel and its cool everyone has different opinions on joel and ellie to to be the main protagonist. In concerns to the ending, i liked it because i was expecting joel to do the typical thing and let ellie die you know out of the goodness of humanity and what not, like it was the truth that i felt was going to happen since like about half way through the game and then joel went towards a last stand and my mind was like "ok this guy is going to go guns blazing and die a cool death" and thats the thing, i wanted the game to completely surprise me and it did and that final scene with joel and ellie got me because it didn't hit me until then that joel had a daughter and around the snow area (i forgot what it was called) he had accepted ellie as kind of his substitute daughter and after losing his first it would be too hard for him to lose ellie which is what made the ending so great because although his not the hero and in my eyes not really the villain you can see why he made that decision and you cant completely blame him for making that choice and in the back of my mind i'd like to say i'd make the ultimate choice and let her die but in those situations who knows right?

in terms of joel and ellie to be the protagonist in the sequel, i don't think its the end of there stories i mean they still have so much to tell and i think the journey they take could be really something especially with what happened in the end in the back of both joel and ellie's mind but again i want the focus to change and i would be just as happy if they where side characters and i dont mind a new protagonist. One last hing though, anyone read Ish's notes, any thoughts?

The world took something from him, he took something from the world. Loved the ending and it left me with a long lasting appeal.I bet there will be a sequel (Sony knows it sold well) and I also think Joel isn't bad neither good and If I was in his shoes I would have done the same. I also loved that you were forced to do it which many games nowadays don't do that kind of stuff.

-snip-

If a sequel did happen (I would still buy it lol. Even though I don't want it to happen, I would still get it out of curiosity), I don't think I would want it in the exact way you stated. It kinda makes Ellie become a damsel in distress to me, and I wouldn't want that. If the sequel came out, I just hope that whatever Naughty Dog does with it is amazing. And I also hope it doesn't ruin the series in any way for me. It's happened to other people for some of their favorite series. You know? I just would want the second game to do the first game justice if they make one.

-snip-

In the end though I think Ellie and Joel's story is over. I feel that eventually Ellie and Joel would make their way back to Joel's brother and live with him and that group seeing as it is safe for the most part and no worry about the government and they could start anew there.

I agree with you when it comes to loving the ending. In the end though, they had already made it to Tommy's. Then Ellie stopped Joel and asked him about what happened with the fireflies. It would be nice to know that Joel and Ellie decided to stay there and lived happily for a long time. But then again, I wonder what Ellie thinks about what Joel did... I wouldn't think that she is fine with it. I wish the best for those two though.

-snip-

One last hing though, anyone read Ish's notes, any thoughts?

This game succeeds at making my eyes misty when I think about Joel and Ellie's developed relationship. One of my favorite scenes is the scene called "I'm not Her". I just love when Ellie finally snaps is on the verge of crying at the thought of losing Joel. Joel looked like he was tearing up too. I must get the comics about Ellie. And I'll get the DLC. This game man... I'm In love with it. I might be gushing right now but I think it's just perfect.

I too, do not see Joel as a villain or a hero. I see him as a human being with emotions. I'll admit that at first I didn't want to do that final mission, it was hard for me. But I can see why Joel would do it since he accepted Ellie as his daughter, and I think Ellie also became a reason for him to keep fighting against that world. If he had let Ellie die, I think Joel might've died too. Either physically or mentally.

When it comes to Ish, I can't remember his story fully. From what I remember he doesn't die according to the notes, but some people that he(she?) cared about did. If a sequel was to come, I could see Naughty Dog touching on his/her story more, or making the game about him/her

If a sequel did happen (I would still buy it lol. Even though I don't want it to happen, I would still get it out of curiosity), I don't think I would want it in the exact way you stated. It kinda makes Ellie become a damsel in distress to me, and I wouldn't want that. If the sequel came out, I just hope that whatever Naughty Dog does with it is amazing. And I also hope it doesn't ruin the series in any way for me. It's happened to other people for some of their favorite series. You know? I just would want the second game to do the first game justice if they make one. >:3 I said Ellie would be taken, not anything about her not being able to escape. We know what happened last they tried to lock her up. She's too resourceful to just let it end, but then again there was also the bit of her attitude of what I recall of the end it seemed like she wouldn't have mind if it meant saving so many others, but considering if they did kill Joel then I doubt she'd be willing to take any chances with them aside from the hate she'd have for them at that. 

If a sequel did happen (I would still buy it lol. Even though I don't want it to happen, I would still get it out of curiosity), I don't think I would want it in the exact way you stated. It kinda makes Ellie become a damsel in distress to me, and I wouldn't want that. If the sequel came out, I just hope that whatever Naughty Dog does with it is amazing. And I also hope it doesn't ruin the series in any way for me. It's happened to other people for some of their favorite series. You know? I just would want the second game to do the first game justice if they make one. >:3 I said Ellie would be taken, not anything about her not being able to escape. We know what happened last they tried to lock her up. She's too resourceful to just let it end, but then again there was also the bit of her attitude of what I recall of the end it seemed like she wouldn't have mind if it meant saving so many others, but considering if they did kill Joel then I doubt she'd be willing to take any chances with them aside from the hate she'd have for them at that. 

Well...

-snip-

So saving Ellie and getting his revenge on the resistance. I would like that. Thats just one possibility I've thought up. You don't see main character killed very often save for you failing them while you hold the controller, but killed as part of the story.

Can't you see why I would've misunderstood you? You talked about saving Ellie, so it sounded like in your iteration that she stays where she is until someone saves her.

Kinda related, but her attitude in the last chapter saddens me more ;_; She doesn't seem like herself until a little later in the chapter. I think she gets happier after she sees the giraffe.

Well...

Can't you see why I would've misunderstood you? You talked about saving Ellie, so it sounded like in your iteration that she stays where she is until someone saves her. I said about them going to save Ellie, since you would be playing the game from their perspective, but that doesn't mean Ellie would be in need of saving when they got to her. From their point of view they would be going to save her, that would be the purpose aside from revenge. What happens on Ellie's end is a whole-nother story. They could easily switch to whats happening to her and you can take control of her through portions of the game. So you would be playing along two angles. I think it would be interesting. I should have detailed my thoughts further on that.

Kinda related, but her attitude in the last chapter saddens me more ;_; She doesn't seem like herself until a little later in the chapter. I think she gets happier after she sees the giraffe. After all they've been through. She's probably just worn. She's only human. Although the only future evolution of humanity as we know since she's immune. Everyone has their limits and I think thats probably what they were going for. Their going to have their moments of weakness.

I liked the ending, it was good. I like it when endings make me wonder what happens after, letting my imagination take over. Haha. Personally, I do wish for a sequel but I wouldn't mind ending Ellie and Joel's story here. I hear that they reveal the dlc and it's about Ellie and her little back story. I wish it was about Ish though, when I played through the game I would always look to find out what happened to Ish. That could possibly be the next game and I would be excited for that.

Knock likes this

I think the ending worked well because it made people think. Did he do the right thing? What would I have done? What just happened here? Good stuff imo.

I'm looking forward to the prequel DLC. As for a true sequel, if it ever does happen I hope it also comes out for PS3 because I'm not upgrading anytime soon...

Saigonrice likes this

Last of Us, to me, is a lot like Jak 3. The ending was left to where there could be a sequel, and a good portion of the fans want one. However, what are the chances that the sequel will live up to the hype. A LOU sequel would be disappointing because it couldn't live up to the hype that'd surround it. The ending itself is the best ending possible. It shows how Joel has changed from not caring to willing to lie to keep her safe. Joel's back to his original self, acting like a dad. And with Ellie blindly believing him, it shows how much of a daughter she's become. It was perfect to me.

I don't think Ellie is blindly believing him. At the ending I get the feeling (and I know a few others as well) that she knows deep down that Joel is lying to her but at the same time does not wish to ruin what happiness he now has.

I don't think Ellie is blindly believing him. At the ending I get the feeling (and I know a few others as well) that she knows deep down that Joel is lying to her but at the same time does not wish to ruin what happiness he now has.

I'm pretty sure that she knew that he was lying. I mean, Ellie is a smart kid and waking up half-drugged wearing a hospital gown while being driven away from the hospital does seem a bit suspicious. And Joel's explanation was flawed. Why would she be drugged and dressed in a hospital gown in the first place if the fireflies already knew that they couldn't make a cure?

When she later makes him swear that he was telling the truth, she basically game him a last chance to admit his lie, but he didn't. But even though she knew that he lied, she simply said okay. Why?

I think the answer differs depending on who played the game. Personally, I think it was because she trusted him, and in his choice.

Just got this game yesterday, couple of my friends said it was awesome

Just got this game yesterday, couple of my friends said it was awesome

What are you doing on this thread? Leave and don't come back until you have finished this game, I would'nt have liked this game spoiled and It is awesome as your friends said.

Actually i would not like the last of us to have a sequel i honestly think it would ruin your perspective of the game because the ending was the end.

Joel and ellie solved all their problems but you might think but ellie does not know that joel lied to her.

i need to say that in the final cutscene when joel say i swear and ellie says "okay" you can see in her face and the dull way she said that you can predict that ellie already knew that joel lied to her ,but ellie knew the only reason joel was still surving was because of ellie. 

Then other people said what about the fireflies, let me do this clear Marlene i think she was the only person that knew where joel and ellie were going and she dies, so there is no way the fireflies would find them.

Also i want to make some points to the game´s gameplay some people say the AI is dumb but that is not true, well on easy mode the AI is really stupid but in Normal, hard, and survivor is really smart. another thing its the gunplay some people say the weapon sway and the way you shoot its lame but it is not is realist and it does that to make you feel like yuor character is an unexperienced shooter. Thats all i gotta say.

Reno27 likes this

Well whitewolf, looks like your spoilers discussion in the previous forum has been carried over and now more people are joining in the talk.

I liked the ending, and was content with letting my imagination do the work. My guess was since the infection wasn't going any time soon, they were heading back to Tommy's, the only safe place they knew of. What else could they do? Sure the human race is probably fucked now, but that's the way it is. What was important to me is the journey, and the bond that grew between Joel and Ellie. And regardless whether or not it was right to break Ellie out, or lie to her about what happened, what matters to me is his clear love and genuine care for her. It shows how much he's grown as a character, and he's a much better person than he was at the beginning of the game.

What I mean is, the story of their growing relationship has been told, so in a way, the story DID end. I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but I don't need a sequel.