• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Glaice

Ubisoft: "Not true we don't care about PC port optimization"

44 posts in this topic

Do you guys remember when one of the producers said this: "The new platforms are a lot closer to PC, so my engineers could do the R&D on PC and we knew it would work fairly easily on next-gen platforms. It needed to be adapted, but everything does. It's always a question of compromise about the effect, how it looks, and the performance it takes from the system. On PC, usually you don't really care about the performance, because the idea is that if it's not [running] fast enough, you buy a bigger GPU. Once you get on console, you can't have this approach."

They either have backpedaled or had their statements spoken erroneously apparently. in this update on their blog. Do you think they are being sincere or just a bunch of backpedaling PR bullshit?

Ubisoft is just trolling PC gamers. :D

you know

Ubisoft have been assholes lately

no surpises here

they are becoming as annoying as EA, get that freaking CEO out of there someone!!! hes ruinning Ubisoft's reputation!!!! -.-

Ubisoft is just trolling PC gamers.  :D

they arent trolling anyone, they are flaming both the consoles & PC gamers

Ubisoft wants Money. They don't care about PC games but they will port the games to it because of Profit.

Girith likes this

Fuck DRM, just download the games instead of buying them. I've started to stop giving money to these companies, as they are not worth it. I am a hardcore PC gamer and people that don't respect all platforms, can suck ass.

Girith likes this

Ubisoft wants Money. They don't care about PC games but they will port the games to it because of Profit.

and then they will realize they lost a market because their CEO is an idiot who doesnt realizes that the majority of hardcore gamers are on PC and that the PC market is growing while the console market is slowly dying

whoever is deciding/declaring that shit for Ubisoft should be fired cuz hes a fucking moron that doesnt understands that hes guiding Ubisoft straight to bankruptcy

Fuck DRM, just download the games instead of buying them. I've started to stop giving money to these companies, as they are not worth it. I am a hardcore PC gamer and people that don't respect all platforms, can suck ass.

umm, you mean you encourage and favor piracy?

if you do, you have no idea of what you are saying and/or doing, you cant call yourself a gamer if you favor piracy

there are developers worth encouraging, any gamer understands and knows that

Piracy is just an excuse for DRMs, look at CDProject, you can't rob those guys, because they are so cool. I mean I just couldn't bring myself to do it, I just wanna support them. 

Nasty Note and LaserBunny like this

Piracy is just an excuse for DRMs, look at CDProject, you can't rob those guys, because they are so cool. I mean I just couldn't bring myself to do it, I just wanna support them. 

Ya, so remember to buy witcher 3 on gog.com. They owned the thing so money goes straight to them.

Ya, so remember to buy witcher 3 on gog.com. They owned the thing so money goes straight to them.

I know, but I like having the box .. well maybe I'll buy it there, we'll see :)

umm, you mean you encourage and favor piracy?

if you do, you have no idea of what you are saying and/or doing, you cant call yourself a gamer if you favor piracy

there are developers worth encouraging, any gamer understands and knows that

That's obviously not what I meant. I buy games that I really like and I actually buy games from companies that deserve my earned money. People that screw up shit and don't care about their customers, certainly for the sake of making MOAR MANIES, can suck ass. Developers like Indie gaming companies or CD Project RED. Sometimes you have no choice, there are games that I like and they are made by companies such as EA, so be it.

Favor piracy... no one can do that and still call themselves a true gamer.

Girith and hornedturtle like this

Ubisoft... aka the smaller EA. That will be a really pissed-off rant.   (To the mod: the curse words are plenty, but justifiable, seeing as Ubi does everything to deserve it).

I remember (as most of us probably do) when Ubisoft's had genuinely amazing, fun games that weren't just sequels being cash machines. First Splinter Cells, Raymans, Rainbow Six, to name only a few. They were fun, they were of really good quality, since the focus was on PC and even the conversions didn't suck donkey balls, they were extremely enjoyable. Hell, I was like 10 when Pandora Tomorrow came out and when I played it some time ago to finally get my hands on the series, I liked it. Almost ten freaking years after the release. Ten. Years. It was that good of a game. 

And then came DRM era. To prevent piracy, they've had to give us pain in the asses as if we've eaten nothing but habaneros all day long. Goddamnshitheadedpiecesofnaziasses. Constant internet connection to play game? Go screw yourselves. It doesn't make any sense. Not a single reason behind this, apart from making lower-end rigs owners miserable. Not to mention that if your connection was temporarily dead, you could forget about playing the game you've paid. Luckily, they've lifted the requirement, although I'm pretty sure they'll get it back on.

Another thing: you know how in many, many games you can mess with configs to optimize the game, make it prettier or increase the FPS by turning off unneeded visuals? Ubisoft's policy can be summed up as: LOL, NO. I really don't get it. The games are cracked not by messing with configs, but with dlls and launchers, but they refuse to give me my desired configurations cause you know, piracy is bad? Remember this small, indie game Assassin's Creed III? Well, to be enjoyed by me I've had to squeeze out those 10 FPSes more. I've tried everything and not a thing helped. With a game by Bethesda (however flawed they are) or any other honest developer, I'd get to turn off things I don't notice. But LOL, NO policy was in place, so I just uninstalled the game and now it sits and waits for a new rig. Cause fuck you, you're going to play it the way we tell you to play it. Even if it means buying a new GPU.

Oh, and funny thing. In U.S. GTX 770 costs around 320 $, which is a cool price, given average pay in there. But in here, with average pay around 2500 zl, the same card costs 1200+ zl. Go figure why it just isn't that affordable to get a new GPU because the company is filled with greedy assholes. I'm getting a rig right now and in 3 years I'll be probably able to play most of the games on high or medium+ graphic level. Most of the games, but not Ubi, since they just can't get their heads out of their asses and realize that not everyone has a rig powerful enough to run a botched conversion.

Screw their legacy, they deserve losing the profits, although it's surely hitting the employees, not the CEOs and all those money-hungry bigots in there. But for all the trouble, headaches and lost nerves they've given me, I really don't care if their games are pirated. Stop being assholes, you'll get back on track. 

Nibbix likes this

I can actually remember playing games back in the day and we were amazed when it was made by some company. You see there logo's flashing before you and you said "Wow, Ubisoft" or "Amazing, Bathesda". What about Westood?

l5rn.jpg

Arc likes this

*cough*

*cough*

They don't give a damn...

I've played about 120 hours of Far Cry 3 and I absolutely love it as a game, but after going back to play Far Cry 2 some things stick out like a sore thumb which leads me to highly believe it's a port. I believe that Far Cry 2 was actually developed and optimized as a PC game and then dialed back and ported for console use, while Far Cry 3 was developed for consoles and then more or less 1:1 ported over for use on PC with extremely minimal development effort, optimization or change.

Textures and small details
Loading up Far Cry 2 you will immediately notice that all of the textures are extremely high resolution and that there is an adundance of detail. There are some high res textures in FC3 but overall they pale in comparison to not only the amount but the detail of the textures in FC2.
0DV0BKm.jpg
aLV6R2w.jpg

sIoqGBg.jpg
3fsTkQd.jpg
There are examples of this all over the place if you look around.

Environmental Effects
The environment in FC2 seem much more alive, the way the wind blows everything around, how everything you walk through gets pushed out of the way when you touch it, when explosions happen you can see the concussion hit everything and makes it knock back, environmental objects break apart from explosions like buildings and leaves fly off of trees everywhere, when you drive over grass it actually lays flat to the ground and when a fire spreads it actually burns up the plants and what it touches, it doesn't just change the color to a charred black look.

jWP5xFO.jpg
aGsKNt9.jpg
In FC3 it feels very stiff and scripted and without life, things only blow around during storms and it's not to the level that it is in FC2, only a select few plants interact with you when you walk through them, when explosions happen very few plants react to it, leaves do not fly off all over the place, buildings are ridgid and non-destructable, grass does not lay down flat when you drive over it, and when plants or trees burn they just change to a charred black color, nothing actually happens to them, they don't burn up.

us3iCIP.jpg
8lyIVZa.jpg
You can clearly see the lack of flattened grass and how fire only changes the color of things which have been burned.

Game performance
Now you don't need a degree in computer science to understand that Far Cry 3 is an abomination as far as game code optimization is concerned, it's a gigantic sluggish mess. In Far Cry 2 for example at 1920x1080 with Ultra settings across the board including 8xAA I average around 170 FPS, Crossfire works beautifully and it's a smooth wonderful experience.

However, in Far Cry 3 with Ultra settings and anti-aliasing completely disabled I have trouble even maintaining 60 FPS. If I turn AA on it becomes a slide show and absolutely eats up every bit of my GPU's memory, on top of this Crossfire scales well however with it enabled the game hitches and chugs, you can feel constant stuttering.

This wouldn't bother as much if the game actually looked amazing and far beyond what Far Cry 2 was visually capable of, it wouldn't bother me as much if the game looked the way it was advertised at E3. Since it's none of those things and overall just looks like a console game absolutely none of this nonsense is even remotely acceptable.

Differences Between Ultra and Low Settings

Ultra

5eBuaG1.jpg

Low

DYrz39t.jpg

What an absolute joke...

All I can say to this is ....................

Conclusion
This just pisses me off beyond belief, the total lack of effort, the lack of development standards, lack of optimization, lack of really giving this community a PC game just grinds my gears. What makes it so much worse is the game itself, the concept and the way it plays are absolutely fantastic, it just comes off as such a slap in the face to not only the community but for the people who actually put in work on the development team to create a great game concept.

These forced out console port development standards have got to end, it's an absolute upsetting and unsettling joke...

Do you guys remember when one of the producers said this: "The new platforms are a lot closer to PC, so my engineers could do the R&D on PC and we knew it would work fairly easily on next-gen platforms. It needed to be adapted, but everything does. It's always a question of compromise about the effect, how it looks, and the performance it takes from the system. On PC, usually you don't really care about the performance, because the idea is that if it's not [running] fast enough, you buy a bigger GPU. Once you get on console, you can't have this approach."

They either have backpedaled or had their statements spoken erroneously apparently. in this update on their blog. Do you think they are being sincere or just a bunch of backpedaling PR bullshit?

Look at AC 4, when it came out it was trash, hardly optimized, which was just straight up proof they didnt care and now they fixed it and made a statement saying jk guys like we are supposed to not notice

what AAA publishers dont understand is that all this shit they put on games to "protect" their games only makes people buy their games less, hell I pirated more then one game just because i coudnt get stuff to work on my system due to having to register it online before i could play it, or always online requirements. 

Make a game fun and easy to play and people will buy it if the price is right.

For example i totally get why games in a store cost up to 60 euro's, because a lot of people will actually have to make money of it. But the stupid part is that online stores ( im looking at you origin ) charge the same ( and sometimes even more ) as the RL stores. How does that work? Greed thats why. They get away with it and as soon as the gamers get fed up with the shit they pull, the companies just stop making certain games because they aint making (enough) money and blame it on the consumer. 

Nothing more then damage control, it was never meant that this info would come out as it was a slip of the tongue by the producer and of course this is negative PR.

For example i totally get why games in a store cost up to 60 euro's, because a lot of people will actually have to make money of it. But the stupid part is that online stores ( im looking at you origin ) charge the same ( and sometimes even more ) as the RL stores. How does that work? Greed thats why.

This is actually not all due to the publishers, this also has to do with massive store chains like Wallmart and whatever demanding that the online games are just as expensive if not more or else they refuse to sell the games at all. And since the majority of people still buy a physical copy of the game because they can or will not buy online this is seen by the publisher as something they cannot simply dismiss.

I never understand the comments made about porting to the PC, all games are created on PC's & are then ported to the consoles, if it wasn't for PC's there wouldn't be any console games.

Creating something on the PC is different from creating something for the PC.

Mobile apps are also created on the PC but that doesn't mean a thing. :P

I'm just glad I haven't given them a cent, got most of there good titles through a video card promotion. :D

If console gamers saw the real capability of PC graphics they would never play a console again, its all to do with company's making more money.

Croaker and Glaice like this

back in the 80's and 90's consoles were made for pure gaming, without loading times, DLCs, Day one patch etc. Just plug the cartidge in and Play. They were strong allies to the PC's and matched up perfectly. PC=best grafics (Wing Commander...) and komplex games(Falcon 4.0, Comanche...) and Console = playing split Screen with friends, nice gameplay and easy controls.

Today they are like PC's, with the same Games, same Errors, same bugs, same glitches etc. The only reason that keeps the Console's alive are exclusive games but they are slowly fading away since Indie games, Emulators and Multiport games showed up. Without the exclusive games there are no reasons to buy a console. 

Glaice likes this

Really I don't care Ubisoft is always making games but I feeling they only give a shit on consoles (mainly the PlayStation because the content is exclusives) and then later telling people about PC versions and when you compare them to EA it is different since EA has been talk about but with their controversy about employees. Ubisoft isn't talk about like that since their main division is Canada and Canadian government doesn't approve of that kind of stuff. In my opinion they are average, I never buy their games just get them from friends for free and EA is just .....whatever. 

Glaice likes this

If console gamers saw the real capability of PC graphics they would never play a console again, its all to do with company's making more money.

I did and I don't care

Same I really wouldn't believe someone would pirate a game from them if you put the evidence right in front of my face it would break my heart CDProject=awesome!