• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

GoodOldSmurf

Kids to play Mature/Adult games? - Angry Poll!!

Kids vs Mature/Adult games   214 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should there be restrictions to prevent kids from playing Mature/Adult games? (GTA, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Gears of War, ETC.)

2. 2. Do you mind with kids playing Mature/Adult games?

• Yes.
    • Nope.
    • No as long as they are mature enough for the game.
  3. 3. What do you hate the most about kids playing a game they are not supposed to (and playing the same game as you technically)

• They yell in the mic when they get owned.
    • They are not mature enough for the game's theme.
    • They always exaggerate.
    • They are just too young to play the game.
    • They do not understand the real life consequences of such actions as killing, blowing stuff up or insulting.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

142 posts in this topic

well the title says it all

do you think kids should be playing Mature/Adult games?

the final debate...

EDIT: *please i must ask you guys to keep it at a minimum of respect, otherwise a mod will probably warn you :|

Cant the last Q be multiple choice?  ;)

sure, actually i meant to make it multiple, forgot it when i submitted >.<

Not all kids are the same. Not all kids use the mic. It should be up to the parents to raise there children and decide whar content is best for them

yeh, the big problem here is most parents dont give a shit and will just buy them the games the kids want :|

TaintedBushido likes this

It depends...

My stepmother's son's friend or half-brother or whatever to call him is around 9-12 years old and he plays GTAV and COD- Let's just say "He's that kid". I think he is too immature to handle it, but I also find him annoying.

So, I don't know. Yes, and No. Is my answer.

I'm 16 so here is my perspective. I think if the kid is mature enough to get the 1 it is just a game and 2 doing these things in real life has serious consiquences then I think they should be allowed to play. That said 6 year olds shouldn't be playing GTA they just aren't ready.

I'm 16 so here is my perspective. I think if the kid is mature enough to get the 1 it is just a game and 2 doing these things in real life has serious consiquences then I think they should be allowed to play. That said 6 year olds shouldn't be playing GTA they just aren't ready.

my thoughts are exactly the same

however, i must add a 3rd thing, if they can handle mature audience (AKA not yelling in the mic for X reason like getting flamed or dying) and not being an ass

my mother's friend has a son and he was 14 back when the last time i saw him, he was playing CoD MW2 on his PS3 and he was simply mature enough for it and could easily deal with the community's older players

in fact, we played together

however he has a good education so its no surprises

Boils down to parenting. Maturity is more important than age, unfortunately there is no real way to "measure" maturity.

If the parents are good parents and they explain to their kid that they can't do the stuff they see on TV or in games then fine. Some kids will get it some kids wont. Some games just flat out shouldn't be played by kids (torture, excessive and detailed gore etc...), I just don't see any reason to expose them to that stuff early in life. I think it will desensitize them to certain things even if not by much.

I hate kids and I hate them even more in games!

It really does come down to the parents, because it is usually them who gets them the game and what not. There is a rating system but some people choose to ignore it and let their kid(s) play anyway. A kid would have to have the maturity to play mature/adult rated games. Some parents just let their kids do whatever they want and some actually learn why they can't do this and that. Some kids will get it, some won't. I do believe there should be a limit like is there torture, gore, or sexual and excessive themes, kids don't need to know or see any of that at all.

I have never been one to use a mic unless I'm playing with a group of friends and we're usually in a private party, so I wouldn't know what to say on kids yelling in mics. I have heard that kids that play like CoD tend to do that though, which means they're too young or too immature.

thegame0dude and GoldLeader815 like this

Im okay with letting 13 year olds play games like Mass Effect, GTA, Saints row... as long as their mature enough to handle it! 

oh and i hate it when those little kids shout in the mic saying! "YOU HACKER BLAAWUAFUIEAHPI:FUOAENIU" 

The parents should decide, i remeber a few years back i couldnt buy a 16+ game in my local store.

That game was gears of war i think (18+) ?... (Not very fit for kids in my opinion! Even though i wanted it back then)

Kids should not play mature themed games, teens on the other hand (13+) should be able to handle it. Though, its up to the parents.

Parenting when it comes to gaming is far too lax, parents won't allow their 14 year old to watch an 18 film but an 18 game is a-ok.

My parents were very good when it came to this, I wasn't allowed to play GTA as an early teen for example. Now of course I did play it a few times when visiting a friends house or something but i'm talking literally like only 2 or 3 times until I was 16 which in my view is an acceptable age to get involved with 18 media. The brain at 18 is of very similar maturity as a 16/17 year old one.

Sort it out parents!

well the title says it all

do you think kids should be playing Mature/Adult games?

the final debate...

This is an interesting one, it depends on the child and how the child deals with it socially and personally. I'll have to use myself as an example for some kids who play mature games at a young age, it depends on the parenting and the lessons that child has been taught or understands the difference between reality or fiction. I was playing mature games at about six years old, GTA Vice City was the first ever game, I don't know what compelled my parents to buy it, maybe for my elder brother but anyway I got on it when no one was around in my room. I loved the hell out of it and I enjoyed fighting the police and using cheat codes from my PlayStation magazine to get weapon set 2 in the game, even at 18 I still get a kick if I am fighting the police and such. I never got the curse words as some people at the school I went to I would usually here the older kids or my older brother saying in front of us, then we would start using it, of course we got in big trouble for saying a word, I learned a lesson in swearing and lost my Mega Drive and PS2 until I learned and not to use the language(but as you know, kids like to be sneaky when adults aren't around). But that's besides the point, as a Six year old I somehow knew that what I was doing in the game, you can't do in real life and I never cared about that, in any games, hell when I was 8 my brothers mate brought round Manhunt and watched them play. What I am trying to say is it depends on the child and honestly, as I go older I got more Mature games, but GTA Vice City compared to my stacks of Mario, Sonic games never really affected me. Maybe the fact that I loved those types of games and would try my best, trying to be very crafty for someone to buy a new GTA or a game similar to it for me. But ever since then I've played mature games from six to now, I've been alright, never really felt compelled to do the things I do in games, to act them out in real life as it was more fun in games due to it not being real and such. But that was me, for others it would've been entirely different or maybe similar, but this is an example of me, it doesn't mean I am saying a Kid should play these games, it really comes down to the parents and what they think is right or wrong, but it also comes down to how the child deals with it and knows it's not real and they don't care if it's real or not, as long as they enjoy it and don't copy it or let it affect them at school or at home. :)

Maeglin Telrunya likes this

I remember an 8 year old kid in my street whose parents were friends with my parents. He played Scarface alot on his PS2 and he used to walk around the streets, kicking children and say: "Say hello to my little friend" and "I'm Tony fucking Montana".

I even remember my self doing such things. When I was 9, I used to watch the Soprano's. I was very fascinated by the theme. When I went to school, I hooked up with a friend who had a conflict with another kid. We walked to the kid, grabbed his head and pushed it into the sand. It felt really great by then, but now I feel disgusted.

When I was a kid I hated being restricted to only Mario or random Wii games you get at Kohl's, but my parents did the right thing and said 'no', up until a 4/5 years ago.

A perfect example I have is the other day there was a kid on the mic playing Ghosts, he was in the same lobby as my friends and I, and he was talking and squealing like all kids do. So I got annoyed and said: "Kid, shut up, what are you 5?" and he said: "No.... i'm actually 7 1/2".

The problem is not kids should be exposed to violent media, but if multiplayer is a good idea. They can give away their information to god knows who, and fall for those fake hacks and what not. I know I fell for fake coin hacks for FIFA when I was younger and stupid.

My final conclusion is that it depends on the kid, the game, the parents, and what the kid is regularly exposed to. 

Not all kids are the same. Not all kids use the mic. It should be up to the parents to raise there children and decide whar content is best for them

Amen

To look at an aspect of this topic, the ratings system, I think it would be interesting if the governing bodies did something similar to what the BBFC does. The BBFC publish precisely how they reached their decision in giving a movie an age rating, what specific scenes in particular and why that content guided their decision. This gives parents a chance to have even more information to base a decision off of (though I'm well aware the problem is that some parents don't interact with the ratings system in the first place) and is quite an interesting source of information to see how societies attitudes to certain topics changes.

I do however find it curious in the U.K. that an 18 certificate exists when you can join the army, have sex, get married and (potentially soon) in Scotland vote  at age 16. When I was a child the age to access tobacco products was also 16 and I know in several EU countries the age to legally consume alcohol is around this age. I think that more than likely society conforms to the notion that 16 is the age at which you're mature enough to view most content even if an 18 rating is still widely used.

I think that we should have a certain age restriction for games but at the same time i played a ton of mature games when i was a child and i think that some adult games can be played when you are younger. Some games tho need you to be older in order to understand or apriciate what it is trying to do. An example is thomas was alone.

Well it's yes and no for me it really all just depends on who the kid is I've paid with young kids before who seem to be more mature then they look but then there's kids who could have nightmares depending on the game so it's fifty fifty.

I feel weird about this... I know I used to play games or watch movies and such I shouldn't have as a VERY young child (I was a horror buff from birth) but...... I didn't have access (not to mention I wasn't a self entitled brat who's parent(s) tried to buy my love) to the technology that is out today.

I couldn't scream or berate others over a microphone simply because they had yet to exist gaming wise that is.... But I also blame the parents A LOT. Granted I grew up in a different world it seems most days, but whenever I played games or did something in the house my mom was there. It seems like so many parents just don't give a shit what their children are doing. Granted I was limited in my "game time" to an hour or so a night but she was there in the same room no less.

I swear im amongst a select few who HAD to be respectful and if I acted out.... you didn't do it again.....

PARENTS if you allow or buy games for your children have the decency to kill off their ability to speak to others online... THAT would be great. It wont happen but it would be a dream come true.

I think the problem lies in how the parents raised the child, even though I live in lala land I knew the difference between "fantasy" and reality most kids now a days are left alone for hours upon hours to hone their psychosis in their room while their parent is god knows where doing what.... Teach your child well and they can and probably should be able to do more.

.I also wasn't allowed in the house if it was daylight just thought I'd throw that out there (obesity in America I'm looking at you)

hornedturtle and GoodOldSmurf like this

I feel weird about this... I know I used to play games or watch movies and such I shouldn't have as a VERY young child (I was a horror buff from birth) but...... I didn't have access (not to mention I wasn't a self entitled brat who's parent(s) tried to buy my love) to the technology that is out today.

.I also wasn't allowed in the house if it was daylight just thought I'd throw that out there (obesity in America I'm looking at you)

same about that first line and last line, i didnt get to speak through a mic with older people back on my SNES, N64 or NGC none of my friends got to do it except one, which actually became an asshole

look how educated we are now, we are civilized and i really thank both my parents and technology for that

to be honest, the original point of this poll was about "government forcing parents to care about their kids through law" but i figured it was too "moral" so i changed it to another point

alot of kids having contacts with more mature people that already passed their step of comprehension of violence often becomes arrogant, violent or bully over the years

i think the parents are mostly the people to blame when a kid becomes something he shouldnt be, due to effects of maturity on his/her mentality

i always said "a kid who has all he/she wants is very bad" because its power, and like even the leaders of any corporation or country, power easily corrupts and once you start loosing power, you become furious and starts raging which causes negative actions to come up more often than not

There should be restrictions, but I don't mind playing with them as long as they don't repeatedly shout at my face. I think most of them are better at video games than me.