• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PremeditatedGirl

Achievements/Trophies are they good for gaming?

Achievements/Trophy Poll   44 members have voted

1. 1. Are achivments/trophies a good thing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
    • I couldn't care less about them!
  2. 2. Does your achievement/trophy score bother you

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you like to remove your score from view so you or anybody else never see it? Including notifications!

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 posts in this topic

Do you think the display of any achievement/trophy score should be controlled by you? This includes you wanting to see it or not as well as anybody else!

I love achievements and I think they should be in every game. I loves completing the games I play 100% and when there are achievements I makes me continue to play it past finishing so yeah, I endorse them and the more the merrier.

EH, I could care less about achievements and trophies.... I think they are almost stupid in a way not to mention pointless.

If I buy a game I try and do everything in it anyways so the "trophy" is besides the point. Pretty much its like "Thanks for letting me know I did this stuff I planned to do anyways... Your worthless to me please get off the screen now"

I honestly have no idea why people think its any type of feat getting them.... Anyone can get a trophy in a game 100% its not like your the sole person to do so. Ya' know?

If I get a Nobel prize I will make sure everyone knows, If I platinum my game and get 100% on trophies/achievements I will just move to the next game still uncaring about the lil trophy given.

vanhoe likes this

Unless my achievements unlock extra content, like a harder version of the game (shooters sometimes do), or more content (ala early total war games) then i dont give two monkeys anymore, there was a time i played towards getting them all but then the fun went out of gaming and felt like grinding, i have MMOs for that.

PremeditatedGirl likes this

Would be cool if achievements/trophies unlocked some cool in-game stuff or other stuff (Mass Effect 3). But I like them regardless except for those ridiculous ones where you have to do the damn Easter Egg hunt looking for needles in a mile long haystack. 

PremeditatedGirl likes this

I hate the notifications while playing. I find them distracting. I would love to have the option to display them or not! I as a gamer like options

I like achievements. They give me an extra feeling of accomplishment and thus help me remain motivated to keep playing. I don't know why anyone would want their achievements hidden from others to see, though? 

For me their pretty superficial, I mean If I beat the game I don't need a message telling me I beat the game, I of course already know.  So I've never really cared about Trophies or Achievements but I guess they don't really bother me either.

I been big trophy hunter once, but then i toned down when started playing more pc. I respect people who are big trophy/achievement hunters that's their hobby and good for them. I would never remove my trophies because i not big hunter anymore, but i have 600trophies 5 platinum -_-

I like them, give you little goals to go for if you've got bored with a game. At the same time I don't need them to play a game. I couldn't care less if my friends could see them or not. It's the people who say things like 'this game doesn't have achivements so I can't play it' that I think that those people are missing the point.

I think it depends on the person. I do like them, especially on consoles just because it can show what games a person has played, what they own, what they like etc. I don't really go out of my way trying to get achievements and I would never try to 100% every game.

Generally, I like them. I'm the furthest thing from a completionist but every once in a while, I may go back to a game I like to mess around and go for an achievement or two.

So, in my opinion, they do add some replayability to games, but they are at their best when they're centered around doing fun things you might not normally do rather than just handing them to you for playing through the story. 

Anyone recall the old Activision patches? I miss those. THAT was an achievement!

Um…some games, the achievement is only way to replay that game.

Maybe some people say 'you are wrong' but, for me, The Stanley Parable is kind of that game.

I replay that over and over because for Achievement. And, I don't think that is bad. Achievement is give me some feeling like, I collect something.

I don't really care one way or another, but it's an ingenious implementation that I respect. Adding achievements to games is a subtle coercion to play the game marginally more than you might have without the incentive of the achievement. Think about it, if you're playing whatever game and you notice that to unlock this achievement, you only need a small amount more of something, you're more likely to pursue the achievement, thus adding to the play time. While this act in itself has relatively little value to most players, to the company it can translate to financial incentive. A lot of e-businesses do this because as it turns out, people who spend more time using your product or service tend to become returning customers for other products. One of my former professors helped with a study on this topic for a friend of his who ran an e-service, and following this model turned it into something now rather successful and famous. 

PremeditatedGirl and vanhoe like this

I love achievements! they give me something to strive for when i finish the game!

I think they're great. It gives games a lot of replay value, and for some games achievements are the only good part, like for Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

Online achievements suck though...

The way I see trophies and achevements CAN be good for gaming, they give you some noteriety and a way of showing what you've done. Unfortunitly, some people take them too seriously and make them their whole reason for playing the game when they should be within the aspect of "i just did something impressive/unique/important, i should be proud of that and i have something to show for it!"

I love achievements and trophies in gaming it makes it more fun and I love to compare with my friends and see the progress we are making.

I don't care about them at all. I really don't see the point. I play games to entertain myself, not for meaningless "scores".

Well I for one don't believe an achievement system is capable of being "bad" or "good" for a game however I feel they are often implemented cheaply in fact achievements are present in many games found all the secrets in Doom? that's an achievement right there!..... But when you just get this little blip that does nothing..... its actually rather anticlimactic you see finding secrets in Doom does something as well as a lot of the things you do in Mass Effect, at best most achievement systems could be used as a sort of tracking system for what you did but if it was worth achieving you wont need it.

I don't care about them at all. I really don't see the point. I play games to entertain myself, not for meaningless "scores".

Always a fair point...... though I have to admit I've grown attached to that Bling sound!

I do like achievments, they are an extra way to discover what else can be in a game. That said I wish they would actually unlock something in games for getting the really hard ones. So it's not a total waste of time.