• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ragnarockw

What started you off as a gamer

45 posts in this topic

Hi so I must have been about 11 or so when my dad brought home an Atari and the first game I played was pong. I was hooked from there on to videos games I remember playing Gremlins on the spectrum at a friends house that was incredible so that point I started to think of games and what they could be like. My first game of sorts was drawn on paper with a friend we got as far as 4 rooms one with a floor that disappears if you stand on the wrong sign and another with a shotgun at the end and if you pick it up the celling comes down with spikes and you have to run out fast. These were my earliest memories of games and now 30 years on I still play computer games and still think up of games and what they could be like but I know I will never be able to make them I am still happy to play them. One of my ideas I would still love to see in a game is a real survivor horror game where everything from tables to chairs can transform into monsters at random times keeping you on edge all the time and you never being able to know when or where the shape shifters are going to strike.  

TD_100 likes this

When I was about 3 my dad got "Me" a PS2. When I finally started getting to play I fell in love with gaming.

Back in 1983 2 days after my 3rd birthday.

My sister just got an Atari 2600 and plonked me in front of it when she was babysitting me. I don't remember it but we have baby photo evidence so can't deny drooling down myself wearing a towel nappy while attempting to play Asteroids. Been gaming since then.

Just to note, I have no idea why I was wearing a towel like a nappy but my sister thought it was a good idea at the time.

When I was 7 I got a PS2, and Star Wars Battlefront 1 was my first FPS game

When I was 6 years old I started playing Pokemon games on my brother's gameboy, around the same time Warcraft 3 came out. I still play both to this very day. Actually it's an understatement to say play, I live for those :D

I got a PS2 when i was 7 or 8 i play the shit out of ATV Offroad Fury 2 and became a master at it, soon i found out that i had a knack for gaming.

I played MediEvil and Crash Bandicoot: Warped on PlayStation back in Kindergarten.

I got hooked on gaming way back in the first grade, playing Crazy Taxi on my dad's Dreamcast. I still love that game to this day.

I'd played the original Super Mario Bros. beforehand but what really got me into gaming was when my cousin gave me his Sega Genesis and games.

Mortal Kombat 2, Earthworm Jim, the Sonic games and Streets of Rage solidified gaming as something i love.

Between the age of 1-3, home at my grandmother with my older uncles (not that much older but, varied ages) and playing and watching Metroid.

i played the NES allot as a young kid, i had this jet game that i cant remember the name of but i still remember the game itself, later i got a N64 and played Mario 64, paper Mario, and well any Mario game. i never got PS1 but got PS2 and loved Star wars battlefront. then it goes 360, PS3, PC and PS4 (Xbox One i far future because i dont like it) 

my brothers were playing NES when i was a kid

i love seeing them play mario

I would have to say playing Counter Strike at a friend's house back in 2000 or so is what really started it for me.  We had a NES and SNES when I was younger, but I never really cared about games then.  After High School I kind of fell out of it all again until a few years later when I got hooked on playing Halo with some buddies.

The fact that you could hook multiple Xboxs together and play with each other amazed me.  Since then it's been a part of my life, and it's here to stay!  (Even the lady plays  :P )

I start when i was 3 with the super nintendo and since then i just love playing video games :'D 

Got hooked on it when I was 2. Purchased an snes and one of the first games I played was Zelda: A Link to the Past. I remember it taking me about half a year or so (could be remembering completely wrong) to beat the game fully. Granted I played other games as well like Super Mario World 2 and 3 I think, Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Street Fighter.

When the playstation was released my brother rented the console and Street Fighter Alpha from Blockbuster, it completely blew my mind, the graphics, sound, everything, since I only owned an snes until the ps1. Haven't stopped playing games since (unfortunately).

My parents didn't originally allow video games. They are kind of technophobes in that respect and we lived very far out in the middle of nowhere essentially.

They eventually bought me Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on our old PC. About a month later the PC caught fire because it had never been cleaned, but that was more than enough time to get me hooked ;)

my parents bought me a family computer with a game called mario brothers...

My mom played games and every night before bed she would teach me how to play them when I was a wee thing.... I think the first game I ever played without her was the first frogger from 81' She saved her games no matter how old they where :D

ragnarockw likes this

When I was 5 or 6 my parents bought me and my older brother a Gameboy Color with Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. And honestly, whats a better way to get into gaming than with the plumber who made gaming what it is today?

Started playing Mario on the N64 at a Boys Club when I was very young, only played it like 1 or 2 times. Friend/Neighbor had a Sega/Genesis and we had a blast. My mom bought a PS1 TWICE since the first one was dropped and then later PS2 when that came out. While playing PS2 for a few years with Final Fantasy being my last game I played on the PS2, I started PC gaming from then when I was around 11 and I started playing CS 1.5 and 1.6 at a lan cafe. Never bought the 1st xbox, 360 nor PS3 however I'm deciding on whether or not I'll buy the PS4 or XBone

I played sega and NES, but what really caught me was Unreal Tournament. Back in '99 I can remember going over to my cousin's house and playing on my unlce's computer. I was the only kid "mature" enough to play. I was terrible but I sure did love that game. It was a slower road after that being a console gamer for a while and then hitting adult hood and finally getting a PC and fulfilling manifest destiny.

Mainly because of my mum. She bought the first nintendo and played Zelda and super mario bros, while me and my brothers were in school. Soon enough we started taking over the nintendo. 

We went from nintendo to sega megadrive to gameboy to SNES to N64 to playstation.

My mum still plays video games on her nintendo DS. (still Zelda)

ragnarockw likes this

My first games were in MS-DOS(pc) the snake that eats like eggs and insects while avoiding walls and obstacles, another where you calculated the speed and angle to throw exploding bananas at the Player 2 Gorilla, lemmings and one you had to arrange boxes in particular spots to pass to the next level ... XD I must have had like 4-6 years.

The first 3D game I recall playing was Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D I never actually won the entire game since I was too noob but I enjoy a lot since I was a really hardcore star wars fan at that age already (9) after that I only played star wars games then I eventually played others like Age of Empires, Freelancer, Nomad Soul, Sim city...

ragnarockw and TheCrisis13 like this

I started with Frogger on the gameboy advanced and I played Goldeneye on my uncle's N64 sometimes. But really got me into gaming was the first Battlefront game. I played it for soooo many hours. Good times.

I think the first ever video game I played was on my brother's Atari and it was a bicycle/motorcycle mountain climbing game. I remember it so vividly because my brother was so frustrated at not being able to beat one particular part of it that he threw the Atari's remote towards the TV and broke the stick off. I started playing with the additional spare remote we had and that is my first exposure to video games that I can remember.

My career choice and my video game indoctrination stemmed mostly from that first encounter, but my true passion grew with the SNES with a few specific titles which included Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Secret of Mana, EVO, TMNT Turtles in Time, Mortal Kombat 2, and Breath of Fire. These select titles where and still somewhat are, my precursors into everything related to the gaming world.