• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willmauz

Any Martial Artists?

21 posts in this topic

Hey, I've finally in the last 2 months gotten back to my martial arts. Specifically, Muay Thai, Jujitsu, Karate, and Aikido. Any one here work out with the styles?

Iaidõ and Taekwondo.
On my own though. No dojo nearby for Iaidõ and Taekwondo - there's an excellent dvd made by a very good teacher, called Revolution of Kicking.
Apart from that, I have a ton, A TON of martial arts stuff on my computer.

Jeet Kun Do/Kung Fu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muy Thai Kickboxing and Karate. For anything weapon related, Kali. I used to practice all the time, but I've not had the fortune of well, having a fortune so I typically only practice occasionally and only what I learned when I was taking classes.

I've been re-training with the help of a buddy of mine who is a blackbelt in Mantis. Funny to see him and I try to dissect a move and do it. While I miss my old training (I lived under my senseii and it was the old-school way) at least now when I'm hurt I can rest!

That sounds very idyllic. Living under the master and practicing each day to become better. 

To me, that sounds ideal.

Though I understand the pros and cons.

I was less traditional, I took Capoeira for 3-4 years as my first style and finally called it a day. Now I take Muay Thai, they teach the more older style rather than the typical kickboxing you see on TV etc. Those elbows I tell ya...would hate to be on the opposite of those things. Good times and worlds different than my old style.

Rainversey: Hah. Idyllic when she wasn't beating me with a stick for screwing up! Hahaha man my jaw... ugh. But yeah, it gets you working much much MUCH faster than alone or in a Dojo, unless you actually LIVE in the Dojo. I hate that America has so few places like the East, where the Diciples live under the Masters. It would really help some kids out there to have this option!

Rain: Oh man yeah. The flashy stuff is kinda so-so, but the primary moves and the elbows are terrifying. I'm working on my Double Elbow Head Strike speed. Right now, 3 in 1 second. Not too good. I have to get the speed up, but maintain the smooth as well. My wife is mad because I sometimes practice in the shower and I've cracked our tile a bit... hahaha.... And Capoeira... dang that's a pretty tight style. Do you mix up with other styles? That was the second lesson my senseii taught me: Never just be one; more styles means more opponents for your enemy to fight. Lesson one? Don't be there as the blow lands.

Rain: Oh man yeah. The flashy stuff is kinda so-so, but the primary moves and the elbows are terrifying. I'm working on my Double Elbow Head Strike speed. Right now, 3 in 1 second. Not too good. I have to get the speed up, but maintain the smooth as well. My wife is mad because I sometimes practice in the shower and I've cracked our tile a bit... hahaha.... And Capoeira... dang that's a pretty tight style. Do you mix up with other styles? That was the second lesson my senseii taught me: Never just be one; more styles means more opponents for your enemy to fight. Lesson one? Don't be there as the blow lands.

We stay away from the flashy stuff, we are taught the more logical move set that would be needed in a real world situation. Since we lean our body forward at all times, we get the whole body behind each attack because the concept is end the conflict ASAP. Here is one of the instructors that trains me, he posts a decent amount of videos:

So yes you can have speed (and I am pretty fast), but I train so that each elbow I give is either going to do a knock out or leave the person dazed to the point they won't know what to do next. Of course there is all the kicks and punches, but for me those are the set ups to get in close for that elbow or two and a few knees if need be.

Capoeira I did because it was a passion, I loved the culture and the style. Boy did I get flexible during that time, which has kind of tapered off but some of it is still there. Capoeira was all about the flashy and rhythm, and that's one thing we don't do in Muay Thai...kick high for any reason. But it did help immensely with being able to switch stances and I can go low if need be with sweeps or leg takedowns. If I do Capoeira nowadays, it's because I still love the style and just messing around on my own or in a Roda at my old academy.

back in the late 90s i took lessons in Capoeira, Muay Thai, Submission fighting, Shidokan Karate and Jiu Jitsu. All that mixed up pretty well. I stopped 2002 with martial arts. It interferred too much with my Break dance trainings and competitions.

I train in Shotokan Karate-Do and Okinawan Kobudo

We stay away from the flashy stuff, we are taught the more logical move set that would be needed in a real world situation. Since we lean our body forward at all times, we get the whole body behind each attack because the concept is end the conflict ASAP. Here is one of the instructors that trains me, he posts a decent amount of videos:

So yes you can have speed (and I am pretty fast), but I train so that each elbow I give is either going to do a knock out or leave the person dazed to the point they won't know what to do next. Of course there is all the kicks and punches, but for me those are the set ups to get in close for that elbow or two and a few knees if need be.

That right there is exactly what I've been trying to impart on the younger dudes I know: Avoid being fancy, just do what works! Haha. Man I tell ya. See, the whole reason I even got with fighting is I grew up in Montgomery, Alabama, in the REAL projects. As a skinny white kid. Not fun. My mom had to start teaching me at 7 to defend myself with hand-to-hand and knife techniques, and it stuck. I grew up street-fighting, not anything fancy, no technique, just effective use of environment and body. Kicking was useless unless you caught an inside sweep to a knee, so I learned really hard to use grapples and throws. As an adult I chose those styles that my body naturally worked well with: Muay Thai because I'm a very bony bastard, and my joints are VERY sharp, plus my legs are very strong and well-muscled from years of walking and biking. Karate because I needed some kind of reach and a basis. Aikido because I'd rather use you against you. Jujitsu because it just felt... natural.

@Draguno: Hey man I feel ya. That's why I had to stop for so long: injury. I snapped my arm in half and shunted the bone out. Took years to repair.

@Beast: Dude, you should try to keep up some still! But I can dig the BDcing, it takes a lotta time (buddy of mine does it in NYC) How is my home doing? (fam's from Stuttgart-an-Mannheim)

@Supre: Man, I just don't have the speed for Kung-Fu. That's why it's GREAT to be helped by my buddy Stubbs. He's Mantis, and so quick! It forces me to work harder to match him, which really helps because it gives me an excellent goal.

@Teigue: Sweet man, Shotokan is neat. My senseii taught me under Oyama's way.

@Gomly: Dang. I wish I had that time under me. Do you help train others?

I do have a book on Hung Gar Kung Fu - specifically Tiger & Crane form.
Figured I'd learn my Chinese zodiac's way of fighting. Plus it's official stance is "If you're not as agile, take the punch instead and claw their eyes out" approach is favorable.. So to say.

I got some Marine Corp Martial Arts training

I spent about nine years in a dojo for Okinawan Shorin-ryu Shidokan. I enjoyed learning a means of self defense that was steeped in tradition, it was a lot of fun and pretty much defined my teenage years.

@Gomly: Dang. I wish I had that time under me. Do you help train others?

I do but only "part time" due to having a wife and kids. With our jobs and the kids school/college I only have a few hours a week spare.

It surprises me how wide spread martial arts is. It never dawned on me how popular the different disciplines are.

It's nice to see how many people enjoy what they do.

I was in a Tae Kwon Do class for a couple of years, but I gave up on it when I realized that they just gave out belts when you got to a certain age group not based on skill or knowledge of the art.

I used to do boxing than switched to kick boxing while adding a bit of MMA in there. Like submissions and other stuff. While I am more than decent if I may say so myself, its just a pass time for me, I dont actually go all hardcore on it. I would actually like to learn MCMAP but I would need to do a huge commitment for that, not sure if ready. 

@ Rainversey: Hahaha that's as good a reason as any. My first two techniques were Eagle's Claw and Elephant Stomp. Both were meant for women, but my senseii figured they'd help me overcome bullying in school. They did the first time I broke some fool's foot! HEH.

@Jace: Semper Fi sucka, Hu-AH from the Army here! Ah basic CQC ain't too bad. Just need some polishing.

@Deo: Yup. The traditions really help to make you feel... more than you start as. Martial Arts WILL leave indelible prints on you, with Discipline, Honor, Tradition... if you let it.

@Gomly: Oh man, it is so nice to see the spread. So many different styles, ways, and ideas. So many different TAKES on those styles and all. So many people. It makes me happy as a clam!

@Ranger: Taekwondo isn't bad, just there are schools/dojo that hand crap out. If you still like to train, just train with a friend at home man. I have to because no one down here teaches my styles, anymore, and my buddy left his school because of the same reason you did; they worked for the first Black Belt and some who should NEVER have passed were given them. Rise above it man, and show them the error of their ways!

@Lightning: Nice man. Well, if you do I'm sure everyone here will support ya! I know the dedication some of it can take; I can do it right now like I want mainly because I work from home.