• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Linkfan3

Guild Wars or World of Warcraft

30 posts in this topic

These two are popular MMORPGS, and it's probably not right to compare them, I don't know, but what would you say is the better MMORPG, mine would be Guild Wars

Guild Wars requires no subscription fee after purchase, and is a great pioneer in that regard. the 2nd one also removes much of the unnecessary "grind" commonly involved with these types of games, with this in mind I would have to wholeheartedly agree with you.

I think the lack of subscription fee puts GW2 over the top.

Both games have shaped the very foundation of MMO's as a whole. But if I had to pick the more impact full MMO, it would be WoW. 

Never played either but because only one person so far likes it WOW.

in my opinion i'd have to give it to gw2. i've played wow and it's not all that. i played gw2 first and then tried out wow cuz my friend at school suggested it and she made a convincing arguement so i tried it and it was awful compared to gw2. the whole idea of having to pay especially for a game that has such bad graphics i just can't do it. Guild Wars 2 has my vote

Oh, this again =)

GW 2 is obviously the winner here. It's newer and more advanced. Back in the days (And I ain't that old) it was GW1 vs WoW, in which I think both were equally good. But the fact that WoW survived with high player base with monthly fee determines it was probably  better.

I'd say WoW, just cuz I'm playing it since Burning Crusade. And I still like it, years later (really exited about WoD).

These two are popular MMORPGS, and it's probably not right to compare them, I don't know, but what would you say is the better MMORPG, mine would be Guild Wars

Neither.The only MMORPG i ever enjoyed is Dofus and it got ruined in the end.

I would have to vote for WoW, the interface menus and dungeon systems is user friendly. Your never confused where to go or what to do, each class has several skills to use while guild wars only has a couple and half are weapon dependent. Overall even though WoW requires you to pay monthly for it, I myself have logged probably 3-4k hours on that game from its release. I was interested in gw2 but after playing it I realized there is a reason its free to play, like most free to play games it doesn't have the content to influence people to pay to play. The leveling system is retarded imo in gw2, I have a lvl 79 and most the areas I try to go into I never get to see myself as a lvl 79 I will always be 14 or 20. For this it made gear obsolete to me, I never even bothered trying to gear up my character in any way. hold a lvl 79 bow do 100 damage to target, hold a lvl 15 bow do 100 damage to target. The skill and talent tree in gw2 is confusing and nothing you pick seems to be worth anything. At least in WoW you have several talent builds you can do, glyphs you can use to totally change skills you didn't like before into something you might actually use. Wow is more thought out and they did a good job. The only part I even like about gw2 is the way you attack, but the lack of everything else in that game isn't enough to say its a good game in my opinion.

My vote goes to Guild Wars 2.

Honestly, I played WoW, and I kept getting bored.. It turned into one of those on/off games.. I'd sub here and there, but half the time, the sub would just get wasted. So, that's money wasted. I've always enjoyed Guild Wars, I played the first one for a few years off and on. Though, that's the great thing about it to me.. I buy it once, and never have to worry about it. It can sit on my shelf for a year, and I can go back to it without any worry of financial loss. Guild Wars 2 (to me) has a beautiful art style, a gorgeous (though at times confusing) UI, the animations are solid, and the gameplay is an absolute joy. You can't exactly dodge roll out of the way of a fireball in WoW! ;p That to me makes the experience a bit more enjoyable. Ehh.. I can go on and on about it.. So let's just say.. I prefer GW2.

i prefer wow but its more expensive

Both are fantastic games.  I'll say this, Guild Wars 2 has been the ONLY other MMO I've played that gave me the same "feels" as WoW.  That feeling where you just get completely immersed and so into a game that it turns into an experience.  The Guild Wars 2 landscape absolutely gorgeous.  Fantastic game. I still play it!  

in my opinion i'd have to give it to gw2. i've played wow and it's not all that. i played gw2 first and then tried out wow cuz my friend at school suggested it and she made a convincing arguement so i tried it and it was awful compared to gw2. the whole idea of having to pay especially for a game that has such bad graphics i just can't do it. Guild Wars 2 has my vote

Really the graphics?

hehe You should read my post at: http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/topic/4846-why-would-you-return-to-wow-and-leave-gw2¡¡/

I would strongly recommend you WoW! if you don't mind paying the monthly fee, is the best MMORPG still until this date! my review is just at the WOTLK but I have been playing the Cata and MoP expansions and I haven't complained. I guess for a casual player is great as it is!

as far as the gameplay and graphics, and tha actual physical game itself, GW2 for sure. But WoW pulled off something GW didnt. Warcraft has been and always will be my favorite fantasy setting out there, and in no small part thanks to WoW. It's problem is that they keep releasing expansions and refusing to admit that their game needs a new engine.

Think of it like this:

WoW is a grizzled old war veteran who has done amazing things in his service and accumulated a ton of medals, but refuses to leave the military even though he's clearly getting too old for it.

GW2 is kinda like WoW's step-son who decided to follow in his step-father's footsteps, and while he also has done amazing things, he just never quite matches up to WoW.

short answer? both.

Both have their advantages, so it really comes down to this:

Would you rather have questing done in a traditional "talk to npc, kill 10 rats, get new sword as reward, repeat" style that always guarantees you will never run out of them or a different method where you can do any number of activities to achieve a goal or take part in special events that do not always guarantee you will have a quest to do?

Do you prefer your combat to be simple tab-targeting that lets you have all your skills at once rewards mood use of resource management and macros or a hybrid tab-target action style that forces you to have limited skills, lets you dodge attacks, and rewards proper skill setups?

Would you rather buy expansion packs every two years and get huge updates every several months that introduce new storylines and new permanent areas or not buy any expansion packs and get small updates every two weeks that introduce snippets of a story and new areas that may or may not be temporary and may or may not be brought back in an existing demi-dungeon?

Is paying $15 a month a dealbreaker for you?

Your answers will determine whether or not GW2 or WoW is for you.

Played both of them. GW1 (and 2) for about 3-4 years. WoW for 2 months.

Never understood this euforia around WoW. It's really generic, old-school, basic mmo. Yes, it has set new standards in mmos 10 years ago, but now? It's almost unplayable for me.

GW2 is new, has new mechanics, has nice graphics, has little grind, and is a lot of fun. Not a game for next 10 years - that's for sure, but i played around 2-3k hours of it, and i really got my money back.

Phoxly likes this

I like both MMOs but i prefer gw2.

In wow i really love the art style and the world itself with all its story and lore. But when i sub then i will play like 5-10 days get bored of the grind and other 20 days are mostly wasted. And the other problem is that while i play it then some part of me feels like its a chore because i dont want my money to go to waste so i play because i paid, not because i have fun playing it. And i really liked the comparison here that wow is like an old war veteran who doesnt understand that its time to retire.

Guild wars 2 got me back to MMOs, first i wouldnt say that gw2 isnt a grind, for me the game has hidden the grind aspect well so the game doesnt feel like a grind. Then the other thing i really like about gw2 is that level isnt that important, but the more important thing is exploring, having your own little adventures with events and so on what makes the game really fun. Events themselves are really great because they make the world feel more alive. Also a great thing in the game is that when somebody comes to kill the same monster as me then it isnt that who did the most damage gets the kill but both get the kill what helps to make the community more friendly. Only thing i dont like in the game so far is that there should be more varieties of armor and weapons or they just dont look cool enough for me.

Because I have a literal torrent of compliments and hate for both. I'll highly condense my opinion.

Both suck. Both are boring in their own way. Both are fun.

GW2's late game is a joke, the game "ends" at level forty. The other forty levels are just... there. GW2's PvP is good fun and so is the general gameplay. The PvE is a sub-par beer. Sweet at the start, dry and bitter at the end; a real pick-up-and-play experience and creating builds is trivial, easy, just synergise. In that. It is highly relied on by builds which adds to the monotony factor. Go into a match, win, go into another, lose horribly, spend another hour making a build that counters what you lost to. Graphics are nominal here. I don't give two fucks if a game looks like Crysis or Asherons Call. Regardless, the art and design is nice. Charr helmet models look god awful aside from a small few and their racials. ANet's rhetoric is to inject more and more content to alleviate crippling issues within the aspects of the game that already exist, not to mention their haphazard handling of creating fixes or patches or balances. They solve a problem... only to make two more and the community to call bullshit on their attempt. The "personal story" sucks. It does... no, no... it does. Just, ju- shhhhhhh. I don't know what to think about the community, honestly. The little tidbits like jumping puzzles is cool. Pay to own. One of the reasons why I got The Secret World.

WoW's gameplay is the same really, it doesn't seem like anything changes radically unless you change a class. The PvP is an elitist mess, do bad, get shit on, do good, get shit on with a teaspoon of sugar and the enjoyment of a terrible leader blaming his mistakes upon his party, either by thought that he thinks the party sucks, or thinks because of YouTube videos that it's the norm. Both PvP and PvE have their great moments in WoW. High-level play looks bewildering but gets easier later on. The adaptability of the game is wonderful, custom UI mods and whatnot fill in the "tactical" gaps of regular gameplay. Classes and their management is a running joke. Blizzard seems like it harbours a FOTM feel for the class list. One month a Death Knight can cover the entire world in permafrost, the next month, he can die from just looking at a Druid sideways. Vanilla, good. BC, hit the spot, fuck dayum. WOLTK, shit. Cataclysm... *inhale* SHIT. Mists of Pandaria, getting better... It suffers from this cycle of success and suck. I won't lie, it's hard to invest fifteen dollars a month in a game you're only just going to start. Community is a yin-yang thing. You got your good people. And then, you got your Trade chat and Goldshire. 

Verdict? Like above. Both suck in their ways, both are fun, both have their simple nuances, both suffer from poor developer care. One's late-game blows, the other focuses mostly on late-game. My advice? Play with a friend. When you're playing with friends, all problems go away as you laugh and criticise every little thing to the point of fun or you may just simply enjoy the company with another comrade in a wide world. You don't have to invest totally in WoW either, just grab a trial, pick at it, do the instances, get to know it. If you don't like it? Cool. GW2 is another beast though, but it's relatively cheap. Justifiable since the game doesn't try to keep you much after level 40. From 40, it's your own initiative. Choose wisely, warrior.

Played both of them. GW1 (and 2) for about 3-4 years. WoW for 2 months.

Never understood this euforia around WoW. It's really generic, old-school, basic mmo. Yes, it has set new standards in mmos 10 years ago, but now? It's almost unplayable for me.

GW2 is new, has new mechanics, has nice graphics, has little grind, and is a lot of fun. Not a game for next 10 years - that's for sure, but i played around 2-3k hours of it, and i really got my money back.

This is the most accurate post I have ever read. To be completely honest, I think WoW is just a big Stockholm syndrome put into a game. When I played WoW for the decent amount of time that I did, I genuinely could not see the appeal in it. Like you said, the game is very generic, and certainly nothing that I would ever consider paying more money for again. Typical tab-target combat, lazy and unappealing quests, and aggravating PvE mechanics. 

I could spend hours completing Heart events and such in Guild Wars 2. Completing quests in WoW? Maybe about 20 minutes before I decide that Guild Wars 2 sounds way more fun.

I have never really played guild wars 2 so i dont have an opinion but i started out in MMO's with WoW, and i have to say if it wasnt for WoW i would never have learned the basics of how to play an MMO and without that i wouldnt be a good player in MMO's, but for me i will always say WoW is better in the MMO franchise,until ESO comes out lol 

For me, the deal breaker is the payment system. GW2 is superior because of this. Yes, I know, many people don't mind subscription fees; but personally, I don't play MMO's with subscription fees. That is just personal preference. You pay $60 once, and you have the game forever. There is the gem store, but the game never forces you to buy anything from it. Also, you can buy gems with in-game gold. As expected, GW2 looks better; but that's because its a newer game. As Angry Joe mentioned in his review, the way the combat and event system is made really helps the community help each other out. There isn't any camping or rage because you attacked a rare enemy first. You gain experience and rewards based on how much damage you do to the enemy. Speaking of the combat, it was done in such a way that you are able to dodge. The combat feels fresh, and you can switch weapons on the fly. The dye system is nice as well, in other MMO's; you buy the dye you want and apply it to the armor piece you choose. In GW2, once you buy dye; you double click it to unlock it, then you can use it as many times as you want. Dungeons are fun and challenging; although many people have figured out ways to exploit them to make them easier. 

I haven't played WoW much, so maybe I don't really have a right to say that GW2 is better. I'm just speaking from my experience :)